Open [The Spinning Coin] Chance

Seeking shelter from the sun in The Spinning Coin. What could go wrong?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[The Spinning Coin] Chance

Postby Elin on April 22nd, 2017, 11:00 am

66th Spring, 517
"Common" | "Kontinese" | "Tukant"

It was hot outside, too hot for Elin's tastes, and while Ilia was with some other child she'd met and befriended and the other young girls family, Elin had sought shelter in what had looked like an old warehouse by the docks.
It was the only freestanding building she'd seen, and despite living in Syliras for some time now, she'd never been near the building, or inside it.
Now she was there, she saw that it was a place of gambling, and that wasn't something she'd tried before, but she was more than happy to give it a shot!

Inside, she saw a variety of games set up and almost instantly felt overwhelmed. She'd never played any of the games or tried her chances before, so the rules to everything were completely new to her, so eventually she found herself invited to join a group of people taking part in a game of chances.
"You want to play?" one of the group asked and Elin smiled slightly at them.
"I've never played before, so would it just be okay to watch for a bit first?" she asked and the group got back to the game
This one was a dice game, where each person bet on two numbers and then two six sided dice were rolled. It seemed that if anyone had guessed the numbers correctly won, and if that hadn't happen, whoever had picked the closest numbers was deemed the winner although they didn't get quite as much as a prize. To Elin that seemed easy enough. It was something she could definitely try, even though she doubted she'd win anything.

"You up for a game now then lass?" the one who spoke earlier asked again and Elin smiled again.
"Well why not!" she explained, pulling a few silver Miza from her backpack, placing just the one down. She didn't want to waste too much money on the first go, and most of the other players had bet with a silver Mizahar. "I'll put mine on a four and a six!"

The die were rolled, and once they both came to a stop, a one and two were clearly visible. Elin was quite far from winning that match, and the winner took the miza that everyone had bet with, before people began placing their own bets again.

"I'll be back for the next game... Just going to get a quick drink!" Elin said, excusing herself as she made her way towards the bar, looking to see what she could drink without breaking her budget.

Ledger-1 SM
OOCDice rolled in Chat
Elin rolls 2d6 and gets 1,2.

-
Exam week
Very likely to be inactive until the 27th
Sorry to everyone I'm in a thread with, but I'll be on when I need respite from studying

~
Elin
Player

Words: 97730
Joined roleplay: March 11th, 2017, 4:50 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Michael Kyber on April 22nd, 2017, 1:10 pm

Though often looked down upon as a vice or pastime for the ill-witted, many gambling games were not as entirely about luck as one might be led to believe. The intelligent scholar who counted the cards as they were played, the cunning trickster who bluffed his way to victory on a terrible hand, all of them could be found in gambling houses testing not only their luck but the sharpness of their minds. In a way some professional gamblers could almost be called admirable for the skill they brought to the table, and because of them certain games had a faint, almost respectable air about them; an appreciation for the underlying intelligence behind it if nothing else.

Pig racing was not one of these games.

"Come on Bacon-Sandwich, get you arse in gear!" Michael called out, his voice just another part of the indistinguishable blur of shouts of encouragement that wrapped around the main stage of The Spinning Coin. Upon the stage a round track with a few knee-high obstacles had been set up, in which six pigs ran as fast as their little legs could take them to the cheers of the large group of surrounding people. Currently Cutlets was in the lead, with Went-To-Market a few paces behind him and Bacon-Sandwich, the pig Michael had bet a shiny silver miza on, hot on his curly tail.

It was the final lap, and Michael watched with glee as Bacon-Sandwich put on a burst of speed and overtook Went-To-Market, putting him less than a second away from catching Cutlets. They bounced over the final hurdle, and tensions rose as Cutlet fumbled the jump slightly and Bacon-Sandwich gained ground on him, putting them neck-and-neck as they reached the final stretch.

"Run Sandwich, run!" He yelled as the pigs made their final dash. But Bacon-Sandwich's earlier burst of speed had tired it out, and Cutlets pulled ahead by a snout just as they crossed the finish line. A mixture of cheers and groans filled the building, and Michael cursed his poor luck today as those who'd bet on Cutlets dashed off to collect their winnings.

Pig racing was not the noblest of sports, and not something a squire should really be associating themselves with, but this season had been a hard one for everyone and Michael needed the chance to blow off some steam. He was dressed in his casual clothes so that he wouldn't sully the Knighthoods reputation by bearing their symbol in a place like this, and while he was off-duty was determined to burn off some of the stress he'd accumulated this season with one day of carefree drinking and gambling. Sadly the bar here didn't sell kelp beer, his drink of choice, and Ovek clearly wasn't smiling on him as his luck had been pretty dry so far.

Deciding that another round of pig racing probably wasn't going to bring him any more luck Michael walked away from the stage, looking for a game that required a bit more active participation to win at. He leaned up against the bar as his eyes scanned the various tables for anything that might catch his interest.

Michael speaking in: Common | Fratava | Nader-Canoch
Other people speaking is in green. Monsters are in black
Thoughts/Flashbacks are Italicized. Shouting/Dramatic Speech is in Bold
Character Sheet | Storyteller Secrets | Scrapbook | Plotnotes
Thank you to Prophet for the beautiful BBCode.
Michael Kyber
A Good Man with a Bad Cause

Words: 118838
Joined roleplay: December 9th, 2016, 8:09 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Elin on April 22nd, 2017, 10:48 pm

Title
"Common" | "Kontinese" | "Tukant"

After checking through the drinks, Elin had decided on a simple mug of ale. She handed the bartender four copper rimmed Mizahar and waited a few minutes for the bartender to return with her drink before she took her ale in hand, taking a quick drink of it before beginning to glance over the tables for more games. There was the dice game that the group she'd joined were playing. Nearby there sat another group playing some sort of card game that looked very much confusing to Elin, as though it wasn't a game she should even attempt until she had a bit more experience with gambling.
She also noticed the pig racing, but found the noise from the pigs to be quite unpleasant, and she'd heard rumours that pigs were unclean animals that stank of filth. The pig racing wasn't really something she wanted to get too close to.

Taking another drink she looked at the other people at the bar, her eyes landing on a man doing the same as her, glancing over all the tables.
She couldn't help but smile and saunter over to him, tilting her head to look at him before she opened her mouth to speak.

”Stuck for choice?” she asked, watching him closely and trying to see if she recognised him at all. She couldn't recall seeing his face anywhere before. ”I’m Elin.” she offered a hand to him as a greeting with a wide grin on her face.
Smiling still, took a third sip of her ale, her eyes scanning the room again to see what she could spot that looked simple enough for her, without having to go too close to the pig racing, the one thing in her that she wasn't willing to try even when she'd gained more experience gambling.

Before she could really ask the man anything else, her attention was caught by two men behind her placing bets on who could drink three mugs of ale quickest and her smile softened slightly as she turned to look at the men.

One of the men was tall with a lot of muscle, quite intimidating to look at, although he was also sporting a large bushy beard and moustache that took away part of that intimidation factor. The other man was only slightly taller than she was, with a thin and waiflike frame, his head completely bald.
She was curious as to who would win, and grinned widely, before turning back to the man leaning on the bar, a few of her hairs slipping away from the rest and falling in front of her eyes.

”Who do you think would win? Or do you think neither would finish?” she asked, moving to lean against the bar herself, her eyes looking out over the tables with a content smile on her face, yet again taking anything drink of her ale and finally taking the time to push a few loose hairs out of her face and behind her ears, hoping that would be enough to hold the hair out of the way for at least a few chimes before she moved the wrong way and caused it to fall into her face again.
-
Exam week
Sorry to everyone I'm in a thread with, but I'll be on when I need respite from studying

~
Elin
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Michael Kyber on April 26th, 2017, 8:51 pm

As Michael looked across the gambling hall his attention was caught by an unfamiliar woman approaching him from further across the bar. At a guess he would have said she was about the same age as him, with long black hair and an air of grace about her. She wasn't the kind of person he would've expected to find in a place that, quite literally, smelt like a pig sty, but then again neither was he really.

"Stuck for choice?" she asked, looking at him as if trying to place him from somewhere. "I'm Elin."

"Michael." He replied, shaking her offered hand and giving her a half-smile. "And yes, I've looking for anything with a bit more skill to it than cattle racing. Sadly Ovek doesn't seem to be smiling on me today."

Their conversation was interrupted by a sudden burst of raucous laughter nearby, and like Elin Michael looked over to the two men preparing to have a drinking contest. As Elin suggested a bet of their own on which of the two would win an idea sprang up in Michael mind, and a sly smirk crossed his face as he dug another silver miza out of his pocket.

"I think I may have just found what I was looking for. A silver miza says that I beat the both of them." He quickly crossed over to the two men, giving them both a friendly slap on the back. "You lads mind if I get in on this? The more the merrier right?"

With a quick gesture to the bar tender he ordered three ales of his own and lined them up on the counter. When it came to drinking Michael considered himself stronger than most, and though the muscular bearded man seemed like he might be something of a regular drinker from what he'd seen of Syliras so far its citizens couldn't hold a candle to Zeltivans like himself when it came to holding their liquor.

Michael Kyber

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Elin on April 28th, 2017, 8:32 pm

Elin smiled more as the man shook her hand and gave her his name, and mentioned how he was looking for something with more skill and she smiled again. Cattle racing wasn’t something that had appealed to her, and she could see why he’d be looking for something more skillful.

She watched the two men who were betting on their drinking game between them before hearing Michael suggest that he could beat them.
She didn’t doubt it, but she found that people could do the unexpected and that the result could go either way.
Had she not had her two children to look after tomorrow, she’d have joined in and seen if she could beat them, but she didn’t fancy being stuck with a hangover if she drank too much too quickly.
She was interested to see the result though and quietly she stood, watching Michael and the two other men and she smiled.
”Well then, I’ll just make sure none of you cheat.” she smirked slightly. The man obviously thought he was good at holding his drink, and she wanted to see quite how well he would do, whether he would beat the two or not.

“Why don’t you join us?” the large man asked and Elin smiled.
”Well I know I wouldn’t be able to keep up, and I don’t think my head would appreciate it tomorrow if I tried.” she explained and the man nodded as Elin took another sip of her ale, her eyes scanning over the three men trying to guess the outcome.
She imagined that the smaller guy would finish his third drink first, and that the large man wouldn’t finish in a quick enough time to even be worth thinking about, and then Michael. She was hoping that he would finish his second drink first but narrowly be beaten to the winning spot, though of course she likely had everything wrong as she didn’t know any of the men.

”So, you all ready?” she asked, the smile on her face turning into a smirk as she wondered how it would play out,
-
Exam week

~
Elin
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Michael Kyber on May 5th, 2017, 6:44 pm

With a knowing grin the bartender set down three mugs of ale in front of Michael, and continued to keep an eye on their corner of the bar even after he left. Michael picked one of the mugs up and took a peek down into the dark brown contents, giving it a swirl and frowning in disgust at how muddy it looked compared to kelp beer. He was still confident that he'd be able to drink faster than the other two, but it was only now that Michael considered that he may not actually like what he was about to be drinking.

Oh well, too late to do anything about it now.

He brought the mug up to his lips, watching the others as they readied their drinks too. On a unspoken cue the three of them tipped their heads back and drank as fast as they could, greedily guzzling down the ale.

The bitter taste of the alcohol wasn't as bad as he'd feared, in fact it was actually quite refreshing. The problem was that it was gassier than he'd thought it would be, and every few seconds he needed to take a break from drinking when his lung's protests grew to strong to ignore. Even so Michael powered on as best as he could, and in a little over twenty seconds all three of his pints were empty.

"There we go, all done." Michael gasped as he put his last mug down. He glanced over to the other two, looking to see if he'd beaten them or not.

Michael Kyber

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Elin on May 6th, 2017, 5:33 pm

Elin watched the three carefully as they all downed their drinks. She was almost impressed by the speed at which Michael and the large man with the beard drank.
Both of them had finished their first drinks at the same time, with the large man finishing the second drink first, only for Michael to overtake him at the last minute, placing his last mug on the bar a split second before the large man and declaring his finishing.

The smaller man wasn’t so lucky. To begin with he was only a little behind Michael and the large man, but as he finished his second drink, a copious amount of clouded fluid mixed with various pieces of partially digested food spilled from his throat and back into the glass.
Obviously he’d had too much too quickly and wouldn’t be finishing his last drink and the larger man burst out laughing, roughly patting the smaller man on the back before handing what he had bet to Michael.

Elin frowned having hoped that the smaller man would beat both Michael and the larger man. Still, she took one of her own silver miza and handed it to Michael.

”Well done there. I would not have thought that drinking that much in such a short period would have been possible, but alas I was wrong!” she said smirking slightly. ”I’m assuming it’s a lot of practice that makes that possible?” she asked, leaning backwards slightly with her elbows resting on the bar, as she tilted her head to look at the man, before taking a sip of her own ale that she’d had for quite some time and was still half full, maybe slightly less.

”So any other games you see that are worth playing?” she asked with a smile, her hand moving to rub the back of her neck as her eyes scanned over the room.
Ledger- 1 SM
How placings were chosen
-
Exam week

~
Elin
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)