Weapons aren't Toys. (Alex)

part II of Finding a Proper Foothold

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

Postby Infilia Snowsong on January 11th, 2017, 5:01 pm

“Oh sorry. It’s a measure of time. So ten-” Infilia was confused at the number. Though, she could recall it when Alex held up his fingers. Infilia seemed to know more numbers when Asked held it up, but she didn't know how to pronounce them in the common tongue. At least, Infilia has a way to communicate numbers now. “-Chimes.” Chimes, Infilia understood that it was a measure of time, but what portion of it?

“You’re doing well Infilia.”Alex spoke after a few chimes whilst Infilia was defending the blade.

"Thank you." Infilia replied, nodding. "Chimes? What are they? In... common??" Infilia asked confused, looking up at the man as she held her blade, her hands were slowly trembling, but she continued to keep a firm grasp on the hilt, unless Alex said that it's okay for her to let go. She would. Infilia listened, as Alex spoke. “Next I’ll teach you how to use foot work.”The swordsman spoke, his tone was subtle, and slow, as it gave some leeway for Infilia to register what he had said.

"Foot work?" Infilia asked, slightly unsure what he meant by that, she looked at her feet... "How... improve, that?" The Snowsong asked in awe, staring at her feet weirdly, there seemed a lot- while learning how to wield a blade. She wasn't so sure if she could remember it all. Though, it must be not as hard as remembering how to play a flute, for sure, hopefully?

“Watch my feet, and I promise I won’t swing.”Watch... his feet was his command. Infilia nodded, he said promise, won't swing. Infilia prayed that that would be true, though she must trust him, as Alex could be her only form of protection at this point. "Watching." Infilia said, looking at Alex's feet, her sword was lowered, and she loosened her grip, and held it with her left hand. Her side still stung a bit, but she figured that they'll check it later. Hopefully, it's nothing more than a simple bruise, and one that can heal within a few days or so at most.

Alex stepped around, his footing was placed almost in specific positions as he eventually made his way closer to the Vantha. Infilia stepped back a bit, as he didn't want him to tumble into her, after all, this platform could be an illusion, and it would probably give way under pressure, and Infilia didn't want to fall. Especially not with her new clothes that Alex had bought for her. That wouldn't be good. Though, when Infilia moved away, Alex came a bit closer, roughly a foot or so apart from her.

“Most people don’t think about how they move to strike. Keep your steps small and even. Then at the end take a big motion to close the gap. Try and copy what I just did, I’ll walk you through it.”Alex spoke a little too fast for Infilia to register what the swordsman had said.

"Movement equal strike?" Infilia asked unsure of what the man said. "Copy... your moves?" Infilia nodded, her eyes swirled into a stable purple hue, for now, as most of the time was spent being curious.

“Left, right, left, right, left, and then you turn your right foot when you land and step in with your left.” Left, right, left, right, left. Infilia repeated. Three... lefts? Two.... rights? Infilia thought about it as she interpreted the movements. Left. She slid to the left, her sword arm raised a bit, as she didn't want to drag the blade on the ground. Infilia moved once to the left, her side burned, but she ignored it, keeping up with Alex, pushing her endurance. Right... she stepped over to the right, as if she were dancing. That's what it reminded her of, dancing, she smiled as she recalled the moments spent at the Red Diamond Tavern. Left. Then, another Right. Two lefts. Two Rights. Left. Three Lefts.

Infilia turned her right foot, and stepped in with her left, she didn't plan on thrusting, so she let her blade hanging from her hold. As she turned, her side stun more so. She clenched her teeth, and she lowered the sword onto the ground, and checked on her side. Lifting up the shirt; what revealed was a dark bruise, she looked at Alex, hoping that he knew something about medicine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Summer Threads - 2/5
1 of these threads are job threads.
Job Threads - 1/2

Note: I am doing what I can to catch up with past job threads. So bear with me please!
Infilia Snowsong
Player

Words: 113820
Joined roleplay: February 29th, 2016, 2:28 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Alexander Faircroft on January 11th, 2017, 5:44 pm

Description "Alex Common" Alex thoughts "Myrian" "Fratava" "Others"

“Chimes…Chimes are in between Ticks and bells.” To emphasize this he spoke softly and repeated the words “Ticks.” And then rapidly lifted his fingers up from one to five. Then “Chimes”, repeating the motion but slower and then “Bells” which he lifted his fingers a significant amount slower than the chimes. Trying to get across the time concept.

Though at his demonstration of footwork she followed behind his actions carefully. Watching the steps and as her questions came he spoke calmly and slowly to affirm them. “Yes. Movement makes strikes. Also makes you harder to hit.” He spoke with that reassuring tone and as he closed the gap she spoke about copying his moves. Nodding he spoke again. “Yes repeat them.” As he stepped right into her space only a foot away from her.

However once she started to make the motions he’d shown her. Her moves were a little too mechanical though over the space of a few ticks she slowly started to get the rhythm, flowing into it like a dance, which was in fact why he’d hoped she’d pick that weapon to fit the motions. Watching her take the steps and repeat them over and over a couple of times, however it came to an abrupt end as she stopped and dropped the tip of her sword into the wooden floor. He could see the look of pain in her face and as her hand moved to her side he realized one thing very quickly. He’d hit her a touch too hard.

He closed the gap within an instant and took a look at the mark he’d left, a rectangular bruise going from a slight yellow at the edges to a rather painful looking dark blue/purple at its centre. He cursed himself out internally for not measuring his strength he didn’t know how well she’d react to the impact and should have restrained the hit more. “Sorry, Infilia…” He spoke with a strong line of remorse through his words. “This is going to sting but tell me if anywhere I press hurts more.” His words slow and even for her to definitively get the meaning of. As he spoke though he lightly pressed his fingers against the edge of the bruise where her paler skin turned into that marked yellow colour. Garnering her response there he moved his fingers slowly closer towards the centre of the bruise pressing to the same pressure with just his index and middle fingers.

And then as he reached the centre of the bruise he could feel her rib beneath it. The bone was at the centre of the strike which cleanly meant to him he’d done something very stupid. The pressure there told him thankfully the bone wasn’t broken, nor chipped. Gods only knew how loud she could have screamed if that was the case. Instead he garnered from the point that the strike had been a hard hit on a weak point. His left hand took a hold of the shirt she wore as he spoke. “It doesn’t look too bad…But it’s going to take a few days to heal. I would not put any pressure on it in that time, else it’ll hurt even more.” He spoke not as a man of medicine but as one who’d dealt with his fair share of bruises like this including a few vastly worse. Removing his fingers from the point of it’s impact he trailed them outward s from there waiting to see where her expressions of pains topped so he could gauge the size of the area she’d have to be careful of.

Alexander Faircroft
A criminal, without a crime.

Words: 945306
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2016, 9:21 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Infilia Snowsong on January 12th, 2017, 9:01 pm

“Chimes…Chimes are in between Ticks and bells.”Ticks... bells. They sounded familiar. "Ticks. Chimes. Bells."Infilia hummed in Vani. They were definitely easy to remember, even when they had seemed hard at first. So she figured, that if the Ticks, Chimes, and Bells in Vani were in that order... it would probably mean the same thing. That order relates with the numbers given to identify the amount of time. "Got it." Infilia replied again in Common.

“Yes. Movement makes strikes. Also makes you harder to hit.”Infilia nodded. "Harder... to hit." Infilia responded difficultly. She didn't quite understand the concept of using a blade of course, and she knew that it'll take some time obviously, but when she's going through training such as this. It's a lot more different and challenging versus dancing or playing a flute. Albeit, learning how to play the flute is just as challenging.

After Alex had showed her how to position herself she had already begun, and started out slowly, attempting to figure out where to actually go. Once she went through her first progression, she slowly started to understand how to move around, and was beginning to formulate the process of her movements.

As she went through her fifth rotation, or so. Her side burned, and she had stopped to take a look at it. Alex came over, and observed the dark bruise. Even Infilia could tell that the bruise was probably going to last more than just a few days by the looks of it. Note to self, don't doubt the ability of a sword. Another note, swords are dangerous, and quite painful.
"Petch."Infilia cursed in Vani, quietly even. She hadn't ever experienced pain at a level such as this, and Infilia really wondered how long it'd heal fully.

“This is going to sting but tell me if anywhere I press hurts more.”Infilia registered, she wasn't ready for the man to poke at her side with his hand. Even though, he'll probably do it softly, but still. It would probably hurt like hai, just by touching it. If it hurts while just moving around- it'll definitely hurt when he's touching... or anyone really. Infilia felt like fainting, she felt dizzy. She felt sick. But, she has to manage. Alex lightly pressed against her waist, it stung. Like Alex said, but it didn't feel broken, or even dislocated. That was a good sign.

Though, when Alex moved his hand below her rib cage. It stung, and the Snowsong looked away, cringing. Hopefully Alex has a diagnosis of her injury. “It doesn’t look too bad…But it’s going to take a few days to heal. I would not put any pressure on it in that time, else it’ll hurt even more.”Infilia turned her head back- her hair flowed in Alex's face as she turned. She moved it out of the way.

"It. Okay. I be fine. We go home?" Out of all things, she was still grateful that Alex is with her still.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Summer Threads - 2/5
Job Threads - 1/2

Note: I am doing what I can to catch up with past job threads. So bear with me please!
Infilia Snowsong
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Alexander Faircroft on January 13th, 2017, 5:15 am

The moment his fingers made contact with the darkened patch of skin he could feel the rest of her body almost entirely lock up from the jolt of pain that shot through her from it. And assumed that the word that just fell out of her mouth was some kind of expletive in her own language. Still though he continued the pressure he applied just enough to get a feeling for anything broken but nothing of that sort appeared. Still though the pain had to be pretty bad for her to lock up like that.

She whipped her head around in order to stop looking at it. Perhaps the looking at the injury was making it worse for her? At least in her head? She wanted to head home now? That was fair. If this was causing her that much aggravation then he’d be more than willing to let her rest.
“Alright then. I don’t expect you to carry on if it’s that bad.” He let her shirt go and fall back against her as he sheathed his own blades from across the way. In the next few motions he picked up his own bag and hers too slinging them both over his shoulder. Letting her sort herself out a little he stepped down from the platform.

“Will you be alright to walk or do you want a hand back?” Alex glanced over his shoulder towards her before even stepping down to head back to the inn. He paused a moment thinking about the potential injury. Still though in his mind at the very least he’d taught her a few things that could have been of use. Though if she retained the information he’d just taught her she’d be able to work on that and build on it, But at the very least she’d need a day to recover from that.

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Infilia Snowsong on January 13th, 2017, 2:46 pm

“Alright then. I don’t expect you to carry on if it’s that bad.”Infilia nodded, the bruise stung, and there was a hint of heat that surged around the bruise. Infilia figured that she could have something to cool down the burn.

"Ice?" Infilia asked as she turned her head back to face the swordsman, her eyes faded into a purple hue. The Snowsong was curious about the ice for sure. Alex dropped the shirt that she was wearing, and it flowed down back to where it covered the bruise. It would be best to hide it anyways-knowing that others would probably be suspicious about Infilia. If they were to fetch for something to cool down the burning, how would they go about with the protocols?

The swordsman picked up, his bag, and her bag of clothes. Infilia bent over slowly, and she picked up her sword that she laid on the floor. She took the sheath and slid it in, and strapped it about her shoulder. Hopefully the bruise would go away soon, it's really bad, and she doesn't want to make Alex feel guilty for as long as she's around. Not that she's planning to go anywhere, Alex seems to be the only man here at the moment who's willing to keep her safe. She wondered how she would fare outside alone, if she weren't stuck in a jungle.

“Will you be alright to walk or do you want a hand back?”Infilia translated the wordings carefully.

"Walk. Handle, small limp though. Me be... fine?" Infilia responded hoping that she said the words in the right order. Unfortunately, this Common is quite tiring, and she yearned for a nap at least... maybe even a long rest?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Summer Threads - 2/5
Job Threads - 1/2

Infilia Snowsong
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Alexander Faircroft on January 13th, 2017, 3:49 pm

Ice. The words swung around Alex’s head like a fish in a bowl. It would be a good idea but then again he’d never had anything like that in his own history to deal with it. But perhaps something cool would help her in a short while. Mulling that idea over and watching Infilia clamour about with a slow sting in her actions made Alex feel even guiltier. Clenching his hand he took walk over to her with a simple couple of steps. And crouched letting the bags fall into the crook of his arm.
“Hop up.” He spoke with an almost apologetic tone but one that was speaking from a position of almost authority. If she was having that much difficulty walking over something he’d done then damn it he’d carry her back to the inn same way he’d brought her back the first time.

“You can put on the air of being alright. But I see through it.” His words again held a spot of remorse knowing that he’d done this but he also knew how painful a mark that big in that spot and that colour was. And how painful it was to try walk with it, let alone train with it like he’d had too. Once she’d hopped up he’d loop his arms under her backside and leaned forwards slightly making sure that the minimal amount of strain was placed onto her side.
“I’ll find you something cold for that when we get back. Until then bear with it.” He spoke slowly so she could understand as he walked down the steps of the abandoned space and then out into the streets of Alvadas. Keeping his balance well and trying to hold an even rock so that if she felt too much pain she could match it and again minimize the shock running through her torso.

“You did well though. Really well at following the steps too.” He figured that giving her a few rods of praise might help her take her mind off the pain in her side and show that he was actually watching how she’d done the motions he’d taught her. “Next time I train you though, we’ll have to work on your sword work.” He offered a lighter tone again trying to distract her as he finally drew up on the Inn. Following the same pattern through the stairwell and up to his room.

Gingerly settling her onto the bed he without warning lifted up the side of her shirt once more, this time pulling it up and off of her head before pulling the dagger free from the sheath on his back and lightly pressing the cold blade against the bruise. Hoping that the cold steel might draw some of the pain away for a brief few moments as he thought about what he could do to acquire Ice in a place that really didn’t hold any cold spots. Running his hand against his jaw he turned to look at the wall still thinking. Again if the best he had to offer in this situation was the steel he had which was…That was it!

“Infilia I might not be able to get any ice but I do-” Stepping over to his bag he rummaged around in the thing for a few moments. “Have this!” He pulled free from his bag another blade around the same lenth as his dagger he’d just placed against her side but this one had a bit of a thicker blade and was cold to the touch almost like frozen steel. He’d picked this thing up two days earlier as another backup weapon which he kept in his bag as a complete last resort. A cold Iron dagger.

Unsheathing the blade he let her feel the edge of the steel and the fact that the steel almost felt like ice to the touch before lightly pressing that blade against her side and taking the other away. “That any better?"

OOCCold Iron dagger purchased a couple of days prior 6GM

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Infilia Snowsong on January 16th, 2017, 6:46 pm

Infilia wanted to show Alex that she was tough, but the slap from the blade onto her side, it wouldn't work out. She realized that Alex was only feeling guilty, and her eyes shifted into a swirl of silver. Infilia felt a little calm while the swordsman was offering her to hop up on his back again.

"Okay." The Snowsong replied gingerly. She adjusted the sheath around her shoulder, so that when she clambered up on Alex the sheath wouldn't bother him too much. The Vantha carefully clambered onto Alex, she did her best to not hurt the both of them. It was difficult at first, because her side stung.

Eventually, she made it on the top of Alex's back. Infilia noticed something peculiar, the man spoke apologetically almost, or maybe even it was exactly apologetic. Infilias' eyes morphed into a purple hue of curiosity as she was on top of Alex's eyes, she looked away from people as they were heading back into the streets.

“You can put on the air of being alright. But I see through it.” Infilia didn't quite understand, how could he see through the stand that she was trying to make, if she were going to get stronger, she can't just show her weakness, right? It didn't make too much sense, but instead of being quiet, Infilia had to respond, she didn't want to make Alex feel any worse than he had. He gave up a lot already for just giving her a home to protect her from the guards of Alvadas. It wouldn't be right to just ignore him?

"You seem... too knowing." Infilia admitted honestly. "Eyes of great eagle, you have." She replied as best she could, she meant that Alex knew well he can see a lot to. Infilia wondered how Alex became so intuitive. Alex wrapped his arms around her small abode and Infilia clenched her teeth, and gripped tightly onto the man's shirt as he carried her through the city.

“I’ll find you something cold for that when we get back. Until then bear with it.”
"Hmm. Okay." Infilia responded sullenly, her side stung, but every once in awhile things will calm down while Alex walked. He's quite strong for a man his size, he must've been in some sort of training, after all, he did have so much weapons at home.

“You did well though. Really well at following the steps too.”Infilia smiled. She blushed some too, looking at the buildings as they passed by. Infilia wasn't sure how this city really works, but she wanted to know.

"Thank you. Swords. Like dancing?" Infilia replied uncertain. "Me dance... back home." Infilia added carefully not adding where she was from, though Alex would understand, and the passerbys of course would be unsure what she meant. As she could be talking about anywhere.

“Next time I train you though, we’ll have to work on your sword work.”Infilia nodded quickly, but of course, Alex wouldn't have noticed and so she would have to speak some more, all of this translating was getting her quite tired, and she can't wait to lay back down.

"I am fine with it." Infilia responded. "Need more work, I do." She responded in a slow speech. She agreed with Alex and hoped that she would be able to train more either with Alex or with others who've sided with the Vantha. Infilia wondered some more; how many non Vantha hunters are inside Alvadas.

Eventually, they came back to the Cubacious Inn and Alex carried her up, all the way from the bottom of the staircase that lead to the upper floor. He opened the door to their room and carefully lowered the Snowsong onto the bed, and Infilia placed the Shamshir and the sheath, beside the bed, adjacent to her.

“Infilia I might not be able to get any ice but I do-” Alex spoke, and headed for his bag, Infilia cocked a brow In confusion, and he rummaged through it as if he has something that would help her, that's not ice. “Have this!”

Soon, he pulled out a dagger, Infilia was confused, and her heart raced. She had no idea what Alex was going to do to her, and she blushed, taking deep breaths, she figured she could trust the swordsman. After all, he's intuitive. Alex unsheathed the dagger and showed it to her. Infilia rubbed her fingers against the flat part of the blade. It was cold, almost just as cold as ice itself. It sent chills through Infilias spine. Infilia nodded, she trusted the man. He gently pressed the flat part of the blade against her bruise, after he lifted her shirt up that she was wearing. The cold surged through her side and all around her system. It burnt, but it was a good cool burning feeling that relaxed her side.

“That any better?" She breathed out a relaxed sigh, and felt comfortable and her eyes shifted into a silvery content color.

"Better." She nodded and yawned some. "Tired, I am." The Snowsong replied and looked at Alex. "Thank you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Summer Threads - 2/5
Job Threads - 1/2

Infilia Snowsong
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Alexander Faircroft on January 16th, 2017, 9:12 pm

Infilia’s comment about him being too knowing made him slump ever so slightly as he walked with her. He’d seen that look often that front of trying to be alright when you weren’t.
“The only reason I know it is because it used to be me. I used to wear that look. I used to have to act whilst I was injured and I had to put up a front. I won’t do that to you.” There was a soft sadness to his tone that Infilia probably hadn’t seen from him yet. And as much as his words carried with that soft weight. He continued on with his slow pace, nodding when she said swords were like dancing to a point.

“So you Used to dance did you? I would like to see it in the future if that’s alright. And yes Swords are like dancing. I was once told that using a sword is like learning how to touch, without being touched. If you understand.” He spoke with a soft rolling tone that was lighter and both inquisitive and non-intrusive. Though her agreement with his words about needing more practice was a welcome relief, that she agreed with him when it came to dealing with the teaching her.

Her face was a picture of confusion as he pulled the dagger out from his bag however. And then the deep red that swept her features as he pulled her shirt up to place the dagger against her side. It would be vastly more helpful with that one bear by her for the next couple of hours whilst he was out.
“Hopefully you’ll be alright whilst I’m out. And I’m not surprised your tired you’ve had an eventful morning, get some more rest and make sure to get changed soon.” With a small smile he placed her bag full of its new acquisitions next to the bed before Rising and slipping his other dagger into its sheath. His hand then found it’s way to her head placing itself lightly atop it and ruffling her hair a little before he turned and stepped out into the cubacious inn to love her to sleep. He had work to do. People to help and above all, Vantha to protect.

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Madeira Dusk on April 25th, 2017, 3:32 am

Grades Awarded!

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request!

Infilia Snowsong

Skills
  • Weapon, Shamshir: 3xp
  • Endurance: 2xp
  • Observation: 2xp
  • Socialization: 2xp

Lores
  • Using anger to your advantage
  • Swordsmanship: basic footwork
  • Telling time in Common
  • Note to self- don't underestimate swords!
  • Alex: uncomfortable intuition

Awards & Retribution
Infilia's visible bruise will last four to seven days, and soreness will persist for seven to fourteen days after the incident.

Notes
Great thread! Too bad Alex is gone, I quite like the relationship between your two characters. As a side note, make sure you watch your tenses! You tend to slip from present to past tense as you write. :nod:

Alex Faircroft

Grades withheld due to retirement.
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Previous