Open Pig, Get In My Belly! (Ines)

Nya tries her hand at improving her cooking skills.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Pig, Get In My Belly! (Ines)

Postby Nya Winters on May 7th, 2017, 6:24 pm

Timestamp: 21st of Spring, 517 AV

One thing about Syka held true every time. The hunting was good. Nya was never one that needed to be told to eat. She was always hungry and her food intake requirements were quite high. Her big kelvic body required considerable amounts of fresh meat, most of which she chose not to cook. However, today, in hopes that her companion Abashai would be around, Nya had returned with her kill too cook it.

Swine was one of her favorite foods. The tender belly full of fat was particularly delicious when fried. And since she had a companion that required his food cooked, she often enjoyed bacon when she could hunt wild pig or procure a pork in a market and get someone to cook it.

The Swine Swells had provided her a snack or two earlier in the day in the form of a couple of piglets. Then, spotting a rather substantial young boar, Nya had stalked him.

Waiting in the tall brush of the jungle for the pigs to wander in to feed, the big cat had held still for hours after chasing all the potential predators away from the area giving her exclusive hunting for the day. That particular feat wasn't a difficult one. She urinated all over the perimeter of the pigs feeding grounds, left fresh claw marks ten feet up on big trees, and generally scent marked in a wide swath around the pigs normal grazing grounds.

Cats didn't like other cats... and they certainly didn't like Talderian Forest Cats. Watching with keen green eyes, Nya had chosen her prey carefully. Female pigs that were nursing were off limits. Old boars with lots of sows in their harems were not in her sights either. The meat was too tough. She liked young delicious young males. The fatter, the better, and she was not too proud to cull one once a week or so, especially if her presence kept other big predators away.

The pigs tasted like home to her too. Nya didn't mind Tapir meat, because it had the tang of horse about it, but many of the other jungle creatures tasted strange. The deer were the same. So too were the rodents she snacked on just for fun, chasing through the tall grass and pouncing. They made her feel kittenish. But her favorite food, by and large, was boar.

And this young one had been easy to kill. Nya had stalked him, carefully waiting for him to venture near enough, and then had rose slowly up, her eyes locking on his. Forest cats had one other weapon in their arsenal besides teeth and claws. Their brindled fur held mesmerizing eyes. It was said their hypnotic gaze, when trained on a hunter, could easily leave them standing for hours in the same place until the cat got hungry enough to eat. Nya had slowly rose from her hiding place when the boar had drawn close enough, and locked gazes with him. Her djed swelled and she put her magic into her gaze, pooling her power in her eyes. "Stand there." Her gaze said. "Still. Quiet." And he did... the young boar didn't even realize the enormous horse sized cat drew closer, her eyes enlarging as she closed the distance. "Stand there still. Stand there quiet. The world is at peace." She enforced her will on him through her gaze. Pigs were easy. There was nothing nefarious to them in the suggestion of peace.

Jaws opened. Eyes locked on his. Nya simply reached forward and the moment she broke eye contact she swallowed his head into her jaws. A quick twist of her head, paws digging into the sandy soil, and his neck was snapped.
He didn't feel any pain except where her teeth had latched into his throat with his head in her jaws. He wouldn't feed her Talderian form, but he'd sure satiate her human one.

Nya released the dead boar, then gently picked him up in her jaws. She turned south, back towards her land, and carried the fat young male home to Abashai.

But when she arrived. Abashai wasn't there. No one was there to cook for her. Disappointment infused her. She was looking forward to fried pork. So rather than gather up firewood from the beach and cook him at her makeshift home, the kelvic took the boar carcass down to the beach and decided she'd attempt to cook him there. Along with him she brought a bag full of cooking pots and pans, a tripod from the fire, and a lightweight sheath dress to wear once she needed her hands. A knife was added to the bag to help butcher the pig into pork with.

First things first, she laid out the corpse and gathered enough wood to build a good fire. She laid a pile of tinder down, using aged coconut husk hair she always collected and saved. It was the best tinder for their location. Then she shredded driftwood with her claws into kindling, and gathered larger pieces. When her fire lay was ready, she used her flint and steel to light the blaze and get the cookfire going.

Then it was time to clean the pig. Nya shifted down to her human form and gutted the pig from vent to snout. She dug out the entrails, shifted back to her kelvic form, and ate them all. Then resuming her human form she carefully began to skin the pig. The skin she'd make leather out of later. It was the trade she'd chosen to utilize here. And since leather could not be purchased, it needed to be made.

Tapir, elephant, even pigskin worked well. Nya had tried other skins, though sometimes she just kept them for their fur. The Kelvic saved every bit of animal skin and cured it. She made things out of it... belts, bags, clothing, shoes... anyting that people needed she'd been teaching herself to make. It was the only way she could earn coin to use at the Mercantile when she needed things she could not make.

Well, not real coin. Credit. Her things for a monetary amount she could spend there for other things. It still worked out.

Nya finished cleaning the big then in Kelvic form hauled him down to the waves to rinse. With that done she returned to the campfire that was roaring now in the middle of the beach, and studied the pig.

How in the world was she going to cook the thing? And where was Shai anyhow? Nya growled in frustration, shifted back to her human form, and with a finality that meant she was going to stay human for a while, slipped the sheath dress on. She had assorted pots and pans. She had a knife. She had a fire. But she had zero cooking knowledge whatsoever. And so the kelvic stood there stumped.

Nya Winters
Let the winds in my heart blow...

Words: 784686
Joined roleplay: June 7th, 2009, 6:53 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Trailblazer (1) Never Say Die (1)
Donor (1) 2017 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2017 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Ines on May 8th, 2017, 2:30 am

Ines was a prime candidate for foraging in the jungle. With Caiyha's gift, she had little to fear of the multitudes of insects, animals, and spiders that called the Maw their home - allowing her to freely traverse the jungle. She would often collect the ripe, delicious fruits common to the area and bring them to Syka, whether for the mercantile, trade on the Veronica, or the Tidepool Bar to be grilled or made into a salad.

Today's haul included avocados, mangos, bananas and pineapple, a handful of each carried in a large basket imported from Riverfall. She had retrieved the avocado first, spending a better part of that early morning searching for a small grove she had passed once before. She searched for the prime fruits, gently squishing them to test their ripeness. The bat foraged sparingly, only taking as many that felt right, and ended up with about six avocados, each one ready to eat.

Her next goal for the day were the mangos. The Maw was full of fruit trees and plants, and it only took the witch half a bell to find a mango tree. She gently tugged on the different fruits within reach, keeping the fruits that easily pulled off the branch. Those were the ripe ones. Once again, the kelvic listened to the jungle and only took what she felt would be acceptable to take.

The bananas were easier to find, huge bunches of them hanging off of a tree nearby the mangos. For these, Ines had to get a bit more involved. With machete in hand, she found a relatively small bunch of bananas, cutting off the large "hand" that held them and pulling the bananas off and into the basket. A banana spider had somehow managed to hide between the bananas, and then crawled out from in between the fruits and onto her hand. The witch knew this particular species to be aggressive and poisonous, though it simply stared at her. Ines set it on the ground, watching it crawl away on the forest floor. A thought crossed her mind.

Caiyha provides, even for the smallest of creatures.

After she collected the bunch of bananas, numbering six, she stumbled upon the pineapples. Pineapple trees were small, and this one was a little shorter than she was. The kelvic sniffed each pineapple for that sweet, tangy aroma they were known for, tapping them to make sure they sounded solid. Ines took her machete again, chopping off two pineapples and placing them in her now practically overflowing basket, strapping her machete to her waist again and hauling the basket back to the beach for a leisurely walk down the shoreline back to Syka.

As soon as she reached the beach she saw the fire. A large, roaring bonfire rose into the skies, smoke billowing. The beach was large enough that Ines did not worry about the bonfire causing harm to the jungle — and as it was in the direction of the settlement, there was no reason not to check it out. Upon closer inspection, the bat noticed a woman kneeling besides the fire, with the meat and skin of a local pig lying on the beach nearby. The kelvic drew closer.

"Pretty fire for the morning." She set her basket on the ground, a banana nearly falling out. "Are you planning on cooking the meat?" She gestured to the basket of fruit. "I can share some fruit, if you would like."
Ines
sexy dracula

Words: 152937
Joined roleplay: May 2nd, 2017, 10:41 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (2) Overlored (1)

Postby Nya Winters on May 10th, 2017, 4:13 am

Kelvics had one thing in common. When one Kelvic met another, they knew it. It was a racial trait that linked them all together since the first one had been created in Marcus Kelvic's lab. Nya glanced up when the stranger spoke, startled that she hadn't seen the girl approach. She'd been distracted and that had made her sloppy. The girl could be an enemy, someone out on the hunt. Only Nya looked her over carefully and saw nothing threatening about her. Another kelvic - what kind Nya had no idea - carrying a basket of fruit and looking for all the world like she was curious more than anything.

No weapons were obvious on the girl's person. And she moved with a grace that said she was something other than human.

The forest cat froze for a moment, wary, then relaxed slowly. She had to tell herself this was Syka and not the dark northern city of Ravok which was full of enemies. The cat even smiled. She had no sharp canines and no cat-like pupils to give herself away. The only thing that bespoke her kelvic nature was her brindled hair that was made up of its fair share of greens along with the browns and tans and russets humans normally sported.

"Yes. I very much want too." The kelvic said in accented common. If the stranger was traveled, her accent could be recognized as Talderian.

"I was about to cut it up and maybe put it on sticks around the fire. I have no idea how to cook it. The one that usually cooks isn't here right now and well I hadn't expected to bring home a meal this large. There's plenty of food enough for two or even more. I wish I knew how to preserve it. And you have fruit? That's the makings of a feast."
Nya said, smiling now, knowing that food and the sharing of it was something of a universal language.

"I'm Nya. Nya Winters."
The cat said offering the stranger a smile. Then she looked at the pig and decided before anything else she'd best cut it up. "Do you like offal? Shai, my friend who cooks, doesn't. He cleans it all off. I did the same for this kill, so I'm sorry if you like it." Nya said with a small grin, pulling out her Kukri and testing the blade to make sure it was sharp. Her Kukri looked a lot like a long dagger or a short sword with a curve to it. They called them curved machete's in most p laces.

She gestured with her knife to the other woman's basket. "Why not set that down in the shade? Then you can help me over here. I'm not sure what I'm doing at all. If I knew how to dig those pits, we could bury him and roast him in a pit. Randal does that sometimes for feasts. He's one of the Founders. I think he cooks better than Mathais. But Mathais tells a far better story." Nya suggested, knowing she was talking too much...

The kelvic had been alone a long time. Being social wasn't exactly her strong suit and she didn't know if she was being too friendly, not friendly enough, or maybe even assuming too much. It was just so nice to have someone wander by, stop, and offer to share something.

"How do you think we should divide him up? Quarters, like we could a chicken, would be too big..." Nya said, hesitantly, her soft voice a rich alto. She furrowed her brow and bit her bottom lip taking a deliberate deep breath. Then she met the newcomer's gaze with her forest green eyes and willed the woman to relax, to stay, to share a meal and maybe some company even if it was just for a little while. Djed pooled in her eyes as the hypnotism came involuntarily to the Forest Cat. Nya had a mesmerizing gaze by the nature of her animal form.

"You should stay." The big cat wearing her human guise urged, her eyes on the younger woman. Nya wanted nothing from her but company and she tried to convey that in the magic as she met the other woman's eyes.

"Even if we burn it, we can't ruin all of it can we?" She said, knowing they were likely to do so. Such words ... we can't can we... were often the ill fated last utterances of fools.

Last edited by Nya Winters on May 21st, 2017, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nya Winters

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ines on May 17th, 2017, 1:39 pm

She smiled at the kelvic, showing her sharp fangs, contrary to the other's normal teeth. Ines was not one to associate new people as enemies, something that had changed since she moved to Syka. It was contrary to how she had been raised in Taloba. She just liked giving people the benefit of the doubt. The bat noticed the other kelvic spoke in a strange accent, but having never been out of Falyndar - not even to Riverfall, on the Veronica's many trips - she couldn't place it.

At her explanation of the pig, Ines just laughed. "That's not how I usually enjoy pig...I've never cooked one before, either. I tend to eat fruit otherwise." Ines couldn't place the animal this girl was, either. Her eyes and teeth were normal - the dead giveaways of the few other kelvics she had met. "I am Ines, of the Ivory Tusk, but so far from Taloba that doesn't really matter anymore."

Ines stood up at Nya's suggestion, taking the large basket up higher on the beach into the shade, nestling it into a grove of palms. Being so close to the jungle again, despite only having been a few yards away on the beach, was invigorating. She returned with a grin.

"I'm not much of a chef, either. We're close enough to Syka, perhaps someone will show up and fix our mistakes." She looked at Nya. "Maybe even one of the founders - or perhaps even Stu. [b]"With just us, however, I'm not exactly sure..."

Ines walked around the pig, not quite knowing what she was looking for. She only ate cooked (or raw) meat on special occasions, and when she was on her own - well, she just drank the blood at night and left the pig alone. At one point she stopped, kneeling down and putting the mark of Caiyha on her leg on full display towards Nya. A bird, perched on the tree, seemed to be looking directly at her. This ended as quickly as it began, however, as Ines stood up, an idea forming in her mind. The hypnotism had its desired effect - though that effect was no different from what the kelvic was going to do anyway. Stay and enjoy the company.

"What if we just find some thin, strong branches, cut up the pig into chunks, and slide them onto the branches with fruit? Like...kebabs, I think they're called. That can't be too hard." Ines walked up to the treeline to retrieve her basket, the basket heavy, full of the ripe fruits. Setting the basket down a safe distance from the fire, the bat searched for a large, flat piece of driftwood to cut up the fruits on. Sandy fruit would just be unpleasant. She found it after only a few chimes, and dragged it back to the fruit basket.

"Come, let's find the sticks. I'm sure there are plenty to be found in the jungle." She smiled again, pulling out her machete and holding it by her side, arm down. "Hopefully nothing will see our feast and decide to eat it for us, but if you'd rather stay and watch, I can get them myself."
Ines
sexy dracula

Words: 152937
Joined roleplay: May 2nd, 2017, 10:41 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (2) Overlored (1)

Postby Nya Winters on May 28th, 2017, 4:32 pm

Ines had good ideas. Nya nodded and turned to follow her up to the edge of the jungle. The beach was wide here, but the Kelvic could tell they could keep an eye on the kill and the fire Nya had laid if they didn't venture too far into the jungle.

"I have a nice little Kukri." Nya said, drawing the big knife that almost resembled a curved machete from a sheath at her side. "It will cut us some nice little saplings or branches if we can find them." Nya said helpfully.

Finding them in the margins of the jungle wasn't too hard. There was light brush everywhere. The two girls were able to find trees with low enough branches and shrubs with old enough branches that were appropriate in just a few minutes. Nya used the Kukri awkwardly to hack at the branches, cutting them off in various sizes from the length of her legs and from her own heigth to as small as the length of her arm. She didn't cut anything smaller than a couple of inches thick. "I'll have to sharpen this after using it to hack wood." She said, smiling softly, as the bundle grew in her arms.

The Forest Cat kept glancing back at the beach and sniffing at the wind. Occasionally, the wind teased her hair up and she seemed to laugh as if it were whispering to her.

"So why here, Ines? Why Syka?" Nya asked carefully, wanting to be social, but not wanting to press at the Kelvic if she was a private person. "I needed to get away from people, from the cities... figure things out. Syka seemed quiet... wild... a good place for a Kelvic." The Forest Cat said, as if to answer her own question or at least give Ines something to latch on to as a conversational topic.

"I'm glad you have fruit. I like fruit, but there's so much of it here, I don't know what's edible besides bananas and pineapple. Do you know more fruits you could teach me about?" The woman asked. "I learned you can try new foods by taking a small bite... leaving it on your tongue for a few minutes, and if nothing happens, eat a bit of it. If your stomach doesn't cramp, its usually good to eat." The Kelvic shared what she new of experimenting on new food. "But I've tried that too and my lips have swollen or my stomach has cramped bad and given me bad feces... wet and runny. It was no fun. It's easier to ask someone that knows than experiment with every new thing." Nya admitted, sheepish. Not everything new in the jungle had been fantastic.

By that time the girls had cut most of their skewers and were walking back to their kill. Nya left the wood in a pile and began butchering the pig like she would a kill. She separated all the 'roasts' which were nothing but big muscle groups. Then cut up the ribs into sets of racks, and left the head aside, planning on feeding it back to the shorebirds and anything else like the night crabs that might be hungry when darkness fell.

"So you mentioned Kabobs? Can you show me how to make them. Do I need to cut these roasts up smaller or can we skewer them on the sticks just like this?" Nya asked, curious, as she continued to work.

Cutting the meat up wasn't hard. It was something she'd done a dozen times. She just wished there were more people to feed. She'd killed this pig because it was wounded, with a limp in its leg. She would have taken smaller, but all the younger littler pigs had looked healthy and not wounded.

When she got to quartering off the hind limbs where the pig had limped, Nya gasped and plucked what looked like a huge square tooth from the bone of the pigs leg. "What in the world lost this tooth? I knew this pig was wounded. It had a gash on its back leg and limped. But... gods that's big!" She said, displaying what was a definite sharks tooth. Nya had never seen one though so she wouldn't have known.

Nya Winters

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Anya on May 29th, 2017, 3:25 pm

Anya
"Common" | "Myrian" | "Snake Tongue"

The beach fascinated and captivated Anya. She hadn't really seen much of it back home so deep in the jungle wilds. The hut she had rented out temporarily until she figured out how to make the mula to buy one outright. She liked her house on the beach though. She didn't want a hut in the jungle, it'd remind her too much of home and right now she needed to cut all ties with home. She was going to keep her hair short so that she didn't forget that. She no longer cared how it looked, or weather or not she looked like a man. It was who she was now. She refused to be ashamed anymore. What her family had done marked them as cruel and Anka was many things, but she would no longer be like them. It was always better to find out the whole truth about a situation before jumping into action. She had a lot of work to do to control this part of her personality, it wouldn't be a speedy process.

Anya left her home to go for a walk. She could smell fire and when she left the confines of her hut she could see the smoke just over a dune. Curious, Anya began to walk in that direction. She hadn't met too many of the resident yet, she hadn't been in a good state of mind when she'd first arrived, and had seemed far too hostile to approach. The sand felt nice running between her toes and her brightly coloured skirt hung low on her hips and moved like the waves as she made her way along the water's edge. After a short walk she could see the fire and a figure She seemed to be gutting a pig and she was also very naked.

Now, Anya was far from a pervert, but even she couldn't resist watching the woman, who hadn't seen her yet. It didn't last long. before she knew it, she was looking at an animal common to Taloba gulping down innards. A kelvic, there had been a few back home, but none had ever changed forms in front of her. It was quite an amazing sight to see. When the Kelvic girl was decent, the Myrian would walk into view. She was sure the Kelvic was about to notice her but her attention was thrown by someone else coming from the other direction. They looked like they were conversing, but Anka couldn't hear them properly yet.

She approached slowly, trying to appear non-threatening, as she was aware she looked quite threatening as a person. She began to hear them talking. The exchange seemed to about the pig carcass the huntress wanted to cook. She was expressing how little she knew about cooking and together the two females were trying to figure out a way to carve it up. The Myrian's eyes lit up. She could help! She had cooked this meat before... and how hard could cutting it up into chunks be? She'd seen her people do it back in Taloba all the time! She was sure she could work it out. Either that or... why not just cook the whole thing? Either way she thought she could lend a hand here." "Hello...!" She called out, voice gruff from the lack of speaking she'd done in common tongue until recently. ""Sorry to interrupt." She told them ""But I think I might be able to help the two of you out with your cooking." She said, a touch of smugness coming across in her tone. She kind of wanted to show off, and make a good first impression on the locals here. This place had to last her as she expected to be here a long time.

""Instead of chopping the pig up... why not just cook the whole thing at once? I can show you what to do." She told them ""Just requires a bit of setup!" She had no idea to keep something from not burning on a fire that big, let alone work out how to make a rotisserie that far off the ground, but she was going to try her best! She was so excited she'd barely stopped to look at the other woman with black hair. Something had twined when she'd said her name 'the ivory tusk', Anya wondered if the girl had seen her before. Unfortunately the myrian didn't recall her although they apparently hailed from the same place "What say you?" Anya finished, waiting for responces from the women before making any further moves towards them.
-
Anya
Player

Words: 5309
Joined roleplay: May 29th, 2017, 4:48 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet

Postby Nya Winters on January 21st, 2018, 5:35 am

Grading

Nya
Experience: Observation +2, Socialization +3, Hunting +2, Wilderness Survival + 1, Cooking +2, Kukri +1, Planning +1

Lore: WS: Marking Territory

Ines, Anya… I’ll gladly grade if you return.

Nya Winters

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes