Fish of Sylira

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Fish of Sylira

Postby Karyk on May 17th, 2017, 1:02 pm

I'd like to develop a list/compendium of Unique Fish to the Sylira region, in a similar fashion as the Dogs and Horses Lore pages. These would not be standard, earth fish (brown trout, catfish, etc), but rather fish with unique, special properties to make them useful to fishermen that seek them out. I'd like to start smaller with Sylira, because in comparison to Dogs and Horses, there could be/are more variety in fish. This can give characters that fish more goals to work toward, more challenges to overcome, and more rewards than a decent tasting meal.

Each individual fish within the article would include location/habitat, unique traits/uses, requirements for catching it, and history/cultural impact.

An example might be the Syliran Shiner

Name: Syliran Shiner
Frequency: Rare
Physical Appearance: A silvery rope fish, grows 2'-4' feet in length. Much heavier than it seems it should. Has a large sucker for its mouth.
Unique Traits: Metallic bones, often a blended alloy of the different types of metal it has consumed. This metal is often used in a decorative fashion, having different effects based on the different levels of metal in the alloy. Common traits include a kaleidoscopic color sheen, an adaptive color, to match the color of a majority metal it is worked onto, and anti-reflectiveness, to prevent it from shining when exposed to light. Shine Oil, the fish's oil, when cooked out of the meat, can be applied to metal for an everlasting shine and rust resistance. This oil is odorless, but can sometimes add a slight colored sheen to the metal it is applied to, often silvery blues, greens, golds, and purples.
Requirements to Catch: Competent+ Fishing, Competent+ Bodybuilding, Metallic Bait, Extra Strong Rod or Line
Extra Requirements: Novice+ Cooking to cook meat, Competent+ Cooking to obtain Shine Oil, Expert+ Metalsmithing to melt down the bones properly, Expert+ Blacksmithing or Weaponsmithing to work Shiner Metal into usable things
History/Cultural Impact: The Syliran Shiner has been a favorite fish of the Syliran community, first discovered stuck to the anchors of ships. Their decorative properties let craftsman make more unique pieces for customers. Isur were the first to discover how to work their metallic bones, using them for crests and jewelry on armor. Hunters, criminals, and others prefer the dull aspect to the metal, preventing their weapon or armor from shining when hidden.
Follow your heart, and the plot will follow.
Karyk
Player

Words: 273057
Joined roleplay: April 4th, 2017, 4:34 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Fish of Sylira

Postby Salara Kel'Halavath on May 17th, 2017, 3:07 pm

You've got an amazing imagination. I love the idea! *putting my thinking cap on*
Salara Kel'Halavath
What would She do?

Words: 225508
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2016, 8:26 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Fish of Sylira

Postby Karyk on May 17th, 2017, 5:46 pm

Someone suggested, (Ines or Elin, can't remember which), that I do each fish idea separately, and more in depth. Thoughts on this? I can do it that way, or like this.
Karyk
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Fish of Sylira

Postby Ball on May 18th, 2017, 1:14 am

It is recommended to write out a fully fleshed animal at a time. I understand that lists are easy to compile for flora and fauna, but they are not really what we need on Miz.

I think Gossamer has made this several times in the past too. We need substantial animals and plants. Be them man eating plants, or weird flying monkeys that give little kids nightmares and later obsessions over flying purple monkeys.
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Fish of Sylira

Postby Karyk on May 18th, 2017, 1:30 am

Alright, so I'm going to close this as is, and seek permission and interest for the Syliran Shiner, as an indepth fish to be added.
Karyk
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Fish of Sylira

Postby Karyk on May 18th, 2017, 1:44 am

I've moved to doing the Syliran Shiner (fish) here http://www.mizahar.com/forums/topic69773.html
Karyk
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes