PM to join [The Blue Bull] Establishing connections

(Robinson Gilli) 50th Summer 517AV

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[The Blue Bull] Establishing connections

Postby Soikka on June 14th, 2017, 10:52 pm

Soikka found himself nodding along to Fallon’s statements, curious to see what they could offer each other. It had surprised him a bit when the man spoke up first, shooting him a question, as he hadn’t spoken much since their meeting -- it was to be expected, though, as judging from his appearance he supposed that he didn’t look like he could be of much use. His name's Gilli, he noted, listening to the archer speak attentively. There was finally a name to match with a face.

The man’s accent was thick, perhaps magnified with the help of the alcohol he was downing, but decipherable enough for the youth to make out his following words. An axe-wielding bowman, Soikka thought, digesting the information. You don’t meet someone like that every day. The man would be priceless in a fight, undoubtedly, given that he could shoot both long range and be of use in a scuffle.

Figuring it was his turn to divulge what he had to offer, Soikka picked up where Gilli had left off, not wanting to wait any longer. “As you can see, I’m handy with a dagger,” he started, patting the sheathed blade on his belt with one hand as he talked, “And useful in a brawl. I move quicker than most and I know how to hit where it hurts.” While he wasn’t exactly as built strength-wise, per say, as someone like Gilli, he wasn’t about to roll over with his tail tucked between his legs in a scrap.

“As for my other talents…” Soikka trailed off, wondering how to put his next words as delicately as possible. If he’d heard right, the bowman’s accent was distinctly Sunberthian -- a place where, if he wasn’t mistaken, they didn’t take too kindly to those with his particular set of skills. Though Gilli seemed like an agreeable sort of fellow, albeit a bit gruff, Soikka wasn’t one to take chances in the company of two complete strangers.

“I’ve been told I’m quite the sweet-talker,” the youth began conversationally, leaning backwards in his chair. “I make friends easy -- havin’ a pretty face don’t hurt.” He paused, eyes dancing over their faces in an attempt to gauge their reactions. “When information comes around, it tends to reach my ears.” Soikka carefully schooled his face into an expression of faux-nonchalance, shrugging slightly. “If it doesn’t, it reaches my fingers. I’ve got a pair of wanderin’ hands, see, and they have a funny little habit of picking up things that don’t belong in a pocket or purse.”

“I’ve been known to let a word or two… ah… slip, in a sense, to the right people.”
Soikka grinned roguishly, folding his hands together on his lap. “For a price, of course.” While brokering information tended to leave all the wrong sorts of people chasing after his tail, it made good money -- especially in Ravok, where the higher-ups weren’t too keen on having their dirty laundry exposed. “Since I’m here to form a few ties an' whatnot, I won’t be askin’ for much,” he continued, eyes calculating, “But it don’t come free.”

After a slight pause Soikka shifted, crossing his legs and turning his head to address Fallon. “What I’m more interested in, now, is you. Pardon my manners, miss, but I’m none too keen on working with someone who I haven’t got the slightest clue about.” He raised a brow, looking back and forth between Gilli and Fallon. “And I still don’t know how you got my address.” Soikka added, his tone more along the lines of curious than accusatory.
Common | Pavi
Soikka
Soulsearcher

Words: 11161
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2017, 9:24 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Fallon on June 20th, 2017, 10:06 am

Fallon smiled, noting the question presented by Robinson, but did not move to answer it. Instead she let her attention focus on the boy. Her eyes shifted and moved about him, only flickering away briefly to note the approaching Akalak and the plates. Had that much time passed already? She gave a small lean away, letting the steaming food – fish by the looks of things – be placed down. The coinage was tossed to the Bull before he moved away, leaving them to their talking. While waiting for her food to cool, she gave a quick gesture for them to start.

It seemed, quickly, that Soikka fell into a little bit of everything. The sort that would be considered a Jack of All Trades. Though the subject of combat much like Robinson, would be truly known when exposed to a fight. There was a small lick of lips, another slurp from her tankard. His mentioning of wandering hands reminded her of the time Salara introduced herself as a practitioner of such talents herself, and so she cleared her throat to speak, ”I would take care with who you tell about your wandering hands. I have heard the Akalak are quite… protective.”

She let the statement hang, while the mind continued to tick along his sales pitch. That was what it was really, unlike the mercenary he had set himself up to be an asset, an object of desire that could do a multitude of things. The other had gone the more direct route, answering her questions and only occasionally slipping in his own thoughts. It was a mark of discipline, a sign that he had worked the field for a while and judging largely by his own attitude throughout, capable of looking after himself. The younger, the more she realised, was like herself in Sunberth. Shoulders squared, and telling the world on how it was – regardless on if it was actually true. He held the energy of youth, that if directed correctly could rise up into something more than just words.

”Your details? Well, much the same for both…” she lowered her drink, tone turning matter of fact, ”You both handed in details to the government office. I simply mentioned that I was looking for individuals who would not mind… well, odd jobs involving muscle or held slightly more unusual professions.” A wolffish smile grew, ”After that they were quite happy to let me peruse their lists and suggest names. Cross referencing continued, noting that housing would be necessary too. So on, so forth…” she clasped her hands together, ”I think you can work out the rest, it is quite simple when you put your mind to it.”

Fallon took up one of the forks left and begun prodding at the fish in question. She took a testing mouthful, tasting the salt and lemon before approvingly nodding, ”Not bad. Anyway, you wish to know about myself? Very well… lets see…” Her lips pursed with thought, deciding on how much she should share with them, ”As you have probably guessed by the accent, I am a foreigner much like you both. I have been here but a handful of days and are looking for individuals such as yourselves who could assist me with some future endeavours tied to your skill sets. Paperwork pending, I am looking to open a business that offers private investigation services. Does that satisfy your curiosity?”
FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Words: 2242110
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Robinson Gilli on June 20th, 2017, 10:56 am

Robinson listened to the spiel Soikka layed out before himself and Fallon and felt a mental groan. If Fallon’s pitch was hidden behind smart words and friendliness, then Soikka’s pitch reminded him truly of someone he’d watch his pockets around. Whether he was actually useful as self-advertised was another matter entirely but he was young still; potential in youth an’ all that.

He barely stifled a few giggles as he heard Fallon’s comment about Soikka’s wandering hands, though a snort did slip out and the corner of his lips quirked upward slightly with a spark in his eyes. Really, women pulled the Akalaks’ leashes around here it seemed so the words also spoke of a bit of understatement when it comes to a female’s wellbeing.

Looking at his own meal, his mouth watered at the sight of the freshly cooked fish. As he listened he made way for a knife and began slicin’ bits of fish off an’ sliding it in his mouth. To him it tasted quite diving though he did make sure to spit out bits of thin fish bones.

His own mother couldn’t cook this good, in fact she can hardly cook even a tenth but that’s not something to wonder about. No, it was more that the food here once again surpassed whatever he had back in the ‘Berth through sheer quality and skill alone.

As he listened it quickly came apparent that Miss Fallon’s words were not for show, judging by how she got him and Soikka’s info from the Job whateverthey called it center, he should probably just abridge it to the center…

Finally his own question was answered and it least confirmed she was a newcomer and probably from Sunberth like himself. He found the idea of an investigation office to be interesting, though more because it’s the first he ever heard of the concept and thus no real idea what it was. Really since she worded that she might need extra hands from time to time all that really concerned him was that he might have a steady source for jobs.

Might well ask, though. No sense jus’ waitin’ for the job jus’ ta find out’ He rationalized to himself.

“Um yeah, sorta. Jus’ uh…. Whatz this investi-stuff all about?” He said through a mouthful of fish, having slid another slice into his mouth while the utensil knife was held much like a woodcarver to a small block of wood

He looked to Soikka for a bit of support since this concerned the lad as well. ‘Sides, his gab might put Robin’s word in a better frame even if Fallon got the gist. Coverin’ all bases and what not.
Languages spoken:

Common=fluent, Fratava=basic, Pavi=poor

"Is not that I dun wanna talk, is jus' that I'm not good at it"
Robinson Gilli
Merc Dog

Words: 88416
Joined roleplay: August 31st, 2014, 7:43 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Fallon on July 24th, 2017, 8:06 am

Soikka had been quiet - seemingly tucking into his free meal without too much thought. That suited her fine however, it allowed her attention that was otherwise split to focus instead on Robinson. His question was a straightforward one, though deep in nature. What was her profession? What did it actually mean and what did it entail? She prodded at her own food for a moment, a few mouthfuls before washing it out with drink.

”Well, to investigate is to study, carry out and formally go through claims to a point of study. Explore, probe, snoop, take your pick. In short, it is the act of being a nosy bugger to find out something say… about yourself, or a place, or even into crimes,” she turned the cutlery in a thoughtful circle, eyes looking him up and down, ”So, I would be one to gather information unbiased and raw. Then, I would write it up, document it and produce a final review. So for example, an business owner wishes to employ someone into their business. They may hire me to look into the nature of their intended. Their origins, where do they come from, what do they do. Who they are associated with – even check to see if they are more criminal minded.”

Another few mouthfuls, a faint taste of lemon rested upon her tongue. Food from the land was still pleasant, more since her extended time at sea, ”In a more official sense I may be called upon to investigate a crime, or work along side various members of… government? Power? Law keepers never the less. The evidence I would then produce could be used in court and used to construct charges, or prove innocence. Take your pick.” With a firm point of the fork she looked to Robinson squarely, ”Which is where a man like you comes in. Extra eyes on the ground, protection, safety. There would be times where investigation would take you to dark places. It would be most useful to ensure I have someone watching my back, even if it is due to coin.”

Fallon wiped her mouth and leaned back in her chair, ”I will say however, Investigation is not being a spy. I am not blending myself into a society, hiding and working my way through undercover. Sure, there is some element of information gathering, but the methods are different in nature… still very much useful however.” Her tone turned blunt, ”In short, I work when I am hired. Much like yourself I must also go out and advertise or find work. Does my explanation answer your question, or do you require more?”
FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Words: 2242110
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Robinson Gilli on July 24th, 2017, 9:46 am

Robin listened carefully even as he ate the tasty fish. He had to admit he found this investigating thing quite an interesting topic and he couldn’t help but let out an involuntary snort, threateting to toss out his food as her comparison of her job to being a nosy bugger was exactly the sort of thing he was imagining as he formed an image of it himself.

Though as she further elaborated on what her job entailed such as what clientele would hire, for what they would hire here and the why of it, he also couldn’t help but form the opinion that it would make her a sort of snitch. It wasn’t a polite comparison he knew, but what with all this background checking and finding out how they go about their day, with whom, and if they were all the uh… morally flexible sort made him all think snitch.

Though in hindsight, he supposed that sometimes it’s a must to know more about someone you don’t know much about. He certainly didn’t want a stab in the back if someone he worked with turend out to be a right bastard, which may as well mean he’d hire Fallon here himself if he ever thought himself that cautious.

And the other stuff wasn’t at all snitch like really, if somebody did a nasty they couldn’t cover up for then they weren’t just good enough and had to taste the consequences at least that’s how it all went in Sunberth. Whatever nasty things a person could say about it and no matter how true it was that didn’t mean its folk would tolerate a crime committed against them if they could help it. He mentally added he shouldn’t voice that snitch part as well avoid the spy part if she’s gonna make that distinction separate and just associate her line as more close to his even if the ways are different.

He nodded to show he needed nothing further to learn. His utensil set aside as he leaned back on his seat to give her an appraising look before speaking “It gives me ‘nuff ta know ‘bout ma’am. If I’s do end up watchin’ yer back then at leas’ I knows enough what ta expect ta not get the both of us skewered like rats” And other nasty fates he’d dare not imagine.

He paused in thought again, wondering if there was more he should say, and decided that there probably was “So uh… I’s satisfied with what I know, Is you wantin’ to know more yourself miss Fallon?”
Languages spoken:

Common=fluent, Fratava=basic, Pavi=poor

"Is not that I dun wanna talk, is jus' that I'm not good at it"
Robinson Gilli
Merc Dog

Words: 88416
Joined roleplay: August 31st, 2014, 7:43 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Donor (1)