Award September's Featured Character Is....

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

IC News travels slowly in Mizahar. Fortunately there is a constant stream of news from around campfires, from caravan to caravan and from merchants to merchants. Within this forum lies the best of the best of this talk. Also, within this forum, OOC news from the staff and players can be found. This forum requires all posts to be 'approved' by a Founder before they are displayed. So if you post within, be patient. Your post did display - it simply will not show to everyone until approved as actual 'news'. Please keep all Introductions, Status Updates, and various other discussions in their appropriate forums and leave this area for game news!

September's Featured Character Is....

Postby Gossamer on September 1st, 2017, 4:10 pm

Hello Fellow Mizaharians!

Keeping with our tradition, the Founders Circle and Regional Storytellers are proud to announce that the Featured Character of the Month of September 2017 is Hwyn! This little scamp has been kicking around Mizahar for a couple of years playing a child pc that has aged into his adulthood living fast and free on the mean streets of the cities of Mizahar. He's been around multiple cities and multiple PCs so he has a varied experience throughout his time here. Hwyn is a unique personality. Please join us in welcoming him to the elite club of Featured Contributor! His interview is below!

The Interview

1. You started Hwyn in 2015 as a 14 year old. How hard was it in essence playing a child pc and how did that influence your interaction with other adult PCs?

Ooh this is actually a fun one. So it’s one hundred percent like the bestest thing ever sometimes. Like as a street rat which is what Hwynny started out as, it was so easy to get away with stuff when it came to adult pc’s I mean, there is something to be said for a certain cute factor when it comes to characters so that’s been a factor. Beyond that from Hwyn’s side of things it’s given him a lot of mentors and teachers to enjoy and learn from.

2. Everyone is always fascinated by the inspiration for character creation. Do you remember, even though it was several years ago, what your inspiration for Hwyn was and what gave you the idea for the pc in the first place?

So this is kinda funny, I was at “that” stage when I made Hwyn, as in he was originally going to weild a scythe and hunt undead and be like super edgy. That said I was like wow, I don’t actually know if I can ever enjoy that much teen angst compressed into a character. So I went back and kind of thought about my favorite things at the time. So I think street rats are kinda awesome, It didn’t help that Aladdin was like my favorite movie so that was pretty cool. That said I’ve always had a penchant for darker themes, that is to say I love dark stories with happy endings so I figured instead of going with the dead parents story I thought about different options and decided that parents that would sell there own child were pretty much the worse, “Sunbertians eh?” As for the rest I think I just have a love of cute things so writing up some themes for a cutesy character just fell into place.

3. Playing a child PC isn’t easy unless you yourself are a child. How big of an age gap is there between your PC and yourself? How does that influence your writing?

I’m 3 years older Than Hwyn, I don’t really feel like that’s really ever held me back, I’d even go so far as to say that my friends would say I generally act around five anyway. That said I grew up like super isolated, like didn’t have internet tell sophomore year of highschool in the middle of nowhere isolated so I had tons of ideas about urban children, or really any kind of childhood that wasn’t farm work. So I’d say I’ve had plenty of time to come up with ideas for the punk.

4. What is your favorite part of Mizahar? What keeps you coming back numerous years?

So this is kind of funny, Like I said when I discovered the internet at like 15, I had like the worst satellite internet ever, so video games were out the window immediately. However I’d gotten into DnD and stuff so I was like maybe I can do that, and I got lucky and discovered Rp sites, then one day I’m at school and goofing off on a computer there when I discover that like 90% of the rp sites are blocked but this one called Mizahar wasn’t. So I think this was 2014 or so. Anyways Mizahar wasn’t blocked by the security system so I could write at Home and school, which for me , was pretty cool. As for why I have stuck around. Well It’s a certain kind of kinship I guess, I’m still kind of isolated, though now it’s just an issue of people in my proximity not thinking reading, let alone writing is a good pastime. So Miz was like a window that said “Other Nerds Exist!!!” Beyond that I don’t know of any better environment for character development which is totally my favorite thing, I love watching characters grow and change, and while Hwyn is and has been my only character for a year or so now I still get a little excited seeing other characters grow and change.

5. Does Hwyn have any long term goals or dreams? Tell us about them. If he doesn’t, why not?

Long term goals, So on the surface I’m gonna say that having the ultimate wardrobe and adoration are the “goals” But as a writer I just want to see him develop even more I think he’s a really unique vessel for change and seeing him solidify into something that might even eventually effect Mizahar would be the coolest thing ever. Beyond that I don’t really care for big goals, I mean for some people they work I guess but I feel like you lose flexibility when you have something that you feel the need to specifically pursue.

6. Your character concept reads that “Hwy is very much an example of what lack of love and compassion can turn someone into. There are very few things Hwyn cares about if they don’t pertain to his survival, and there is nothing he loves.” Has that changed at all since his CS was written? Has he grown to care about or love anything besides his own life and his survival? If so… what? Give us some examples. If not, why not?

No, I will say that as a person he still has no idea what love is or how it works. He understands affection, bit of the things he’s learned from interactions with other pc’s I don’t think he’s experienced “Love” has he changed however? 100% He understand more of the subtleties of living. As He’s had more time to pursue hobbies and such in Ravok especially he’s gained more interests, where clothes were once only for disguises he know enjoys outfits and such entirely for the sake of having them. However call me a romanticist but I want him to eventually maybe experience some storybook love or at least something like family. For now though he’s pretty much just figuring out how to have fun. But the Tldr of that is that he’s not very good at relating to be people but he knows that he’s beginning to enjoy being around them. Being enslaved has forced him especially to spend a lot of time with another person who he can’t figure out how he feels about. So I think there is a lot of potential development and has been a lot of development

7. What is the worst thing your PC has ever done in a thread? What’s the best thing that’s ever happened to him?

Worst thing, So Unintentionally, a thread about pick pocketing unleashed a giant spider in Ravok. It was a grand old time Hwyn got to chew his way out of a cocoon, Sayana hit a spider in the face with ham and Eva got to eat people. It was decidedly traumatizing.

Best thing? So that’s hard, as a writer I would say the Ravokian experience was awesome he really took off under the pressure of the environment, it was nothing like Syliras for him. As for from Hwyn’s perspective I think that any time he gets new clothing is pretty much situationally the best thing ever, he’s pretty shallow if consistent with his current desires.

8. How does your personality Archetype (INFP) really relate to your PC? He seems rather hard around the edges to be considered a true Mediator. Did you find this personality archetype true to your PC? In learning it, did it in any way influence the way you continued to RP Hwyn?

I don’t think so, I feel like on some level’s he’s still pretty reserved but I think it’s his self reflection where his personality really shines. There is a lot of inner conflict in Hwyn especially now that he has wants along with his needs, especially wants and needs that occasionally conflict. I like the idea of Personality archetypes and such but I don’t think I’d toss Hwyn or anyone into a bracket, just because I don’t want to ever think, “that wasn’t very INFP of him” Peoples personalities change so I dunno, it’s just a fun label. I’d say he’s developing more emotions and might become an Infp someday, but for now it’s too soon to tell.

9. Has Hwyn’s gender confusion gotten any clarity over the two years you’ve played him or is he still confused and identifying with female more than male at this time? Why?

So Identity is a funny one. I’d say Hwyn is well aware at this point he’s a boy. At the end of the day He’d even admit this to be true. However disguises have become something of a second part of him. He enjoys the freedom he has knowing he can swap his clothes and open up all sorts of different opportunities and reactions from people and he revels in attention to an extent so each and every complement on his appearance is something that he genuinely recognizes as something he desires. So I would say, he sees himself as a boy but doesn’t particularly care how anyone else identifies him so long as it’s in a positive light.

10. One of Hwy’s best skills is disguise. What is his favorite disguise and why?

Oh boy, so there are several, starting with his first poor peasant child one. It was just a go too and worked out well, However playing a maid has probably been his most consistent and useful disguise, in Ravok everyone pretty much ignores the help so it’s certainly allowed him some unique situations, it doesn’t hurt that it’s pretty nice looking either.

11. Dealing with the closure of a city that is integral to a PC’s character tends to be hard on a player. How did you go about selecting a place for Hwyn to move too and how easy or hard was it to make the transition?

Ya know, I don’t think this in particular ever phased me. I really feel like for me at least flexibility is important, something really could happen that uproots you from where you live and tosses you elsewhere. So it’s a challenge t be embraced in my eyes not something that I ever saw as bad. The transition was fun if Hwyn ever gets to see more cities I’m totally game to see how it goes.

12. Here’s your soap box question! Is there anything you want to talk about in regards to your character and or the game itself? You have an audience so feel free to jump on the soapbox and talk a bit about anything you want!

Woo! I love talking about me!

So as a writer I want to say some pretty simple stuff. I’ll say it again, be flexible It’s important to be able to have fun in any situation if you ask me. So what if you are the worlds manliest warrior, If you get trapped in a woman’s knitting circle try to enjoy the moment, maybe you’ll learn to make a blanket, or about the secret cult they’re covering for, you never know!

Next I encourage at least one completely random thread a season toss your character into an awkward and uncomfortable situation, or even a super silly or fun one. Something that isn’t really aligned with any of your goals or motives, it can be super refreshing I promise!

Enjoy the little things, it goes without saying that there is going to be a lot of little things on whatever your path to glory is, so revel in all those moments of weakness before you’re character arrives at that maxed out combat stat. Try to remember that horrible moment when you did something embarrassingly silly or stupid without realizing it. Anything really, at the end of the day, do what’s fun.

Lastly as a writer I’d say, Learn from those you write with. I don’t see myself as an amazingly articulate writer. But! I’m a lot better than I was when I started, that’s because I got to write with awesome people and I admittedly steal little bits and pieces of everyone else’s styles as I go. So yeah if you’re looking to improve your writing just write with everyone and eventually you’ll be golden, so try not to be intimidated if you’re new to write with the person who tosses out 1500 word single posts casually, “you know who you are”

As for Hwynny, Hwyn, Hwynnamon Etc. He’s been super fun to write he’s changed as I’ve written him and I would say that’s because I’ve never set any hard goals for him, so yeah, I think it’s obvious that people change, and so too can our characters. I really don’t have too much to say about it, if you see a lonely Hwyn running about, hugs and food are acceptable payments to think him for his existence.

So anyways! Keep one writing awesome people! It has been a pleasure and one I plan to continue selfishly enjoying for some time to come!
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Prophet on September 1st, 2017, 4:12 pm

Congratulations, Hwynnamon!
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Words: 816271
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2016, 5:18 am
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Kayak on September 1st, 2017, 4:19 pm

Well done Hwynnie the Pooh, you deserve this. Maybe we'll have to dig around for a celebratory dress for you.

Signature courtesy of the great and wise Prophet
Kayak
Retired Staff

Words: 83721
Joined roleplay: July 5th, 2017, 11:36 am
Office
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Allassanachassanya on September 1st, 2017, 4:25 pm

Congratulations Hwyn! Lovely interview. :D
All 's' sounds are hissed in Ssanya's speech.
Resolve score - 30/100
Allassanachassanya
Sifting through the bones

Words: 232144
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2016, 5:05 pm
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Artist (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Faradae on September 1st, 2017, 4:37 pm

Congratulations, Hwynn! You know I love you and your boo and your writing, so this is well deserved in my eyes. Keep being amazing (and thread with me soon)!
Faradae
Your favourite birb.

Words: 140559
Joined roleplay: December 20th, 2015, 12:24 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Xen on September 2nd, 2017, 5:43 am

Congratulations, Hwyn ;)
Xen

Xen
Stygian Serpentis

Words: 390077
Joined roleplay: July 28th, 2012, 12:02 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Salara Kel'Halavath on September 2nd, 2017, 4:09 pm

Way to go, Hwyn!
One of these days I hope for the pleasure of writing with you.
Keep being darling and fun because the smiles that bloom are priceless!
Salara Kel'Halavath
What would She do?

Words: 225508
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2016, 8:26 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Tierra on September 2nd, 2017, 7:33 pm

CONGRATS!
Total Threads: 9/10|ThreadAny Threads that are not solos 6/8|Solos 3 of 2

Until I have some free slots available I will not be taking on any new threads.
Thank you for understanding.

Due to some changes in my family dynamics I will be as active as I can. Please bear with me.
Tierra
You have no secrets even in shadows.

Words: 73477
Joined roleplay: September 15th, 2014, 5:13 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Yisanareysin on September 6th, 2017, 8:54 pm

'grats Hwyn!
ImageImageImage