Skill Development: Carpentry

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Postby Ramona Silvertongue on July 12th, 2017, 7:27 pm

@Kal: I think I meant to type in important notes such as like key reminders when working with carpentry. I was using my phone, so that could've cleared up the confusion. I was looking over that a few times to, I'll go edit it. :)
@Languish: Thank you Languish! Would you might know a few prerequisites for Carpentry. As I do believe there could possibly be a few??
Care to help out, leave a response?

SPEECH

|| "Pavi." || Pavi Sign. || "Other Speaking 1." || My Speech 1." || My Thoughts || "Common." ||

"I see skies of blue. Red roses too. I will always love you."

Ramona Silvertongue
Player

Words: 118181
Joined roleplay: April 26th, 2017, 12:08 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kayak on July 12th, 2017, 7:32 pm

The big three recommended/prerequisite skills that come to mind for me at least are Carving (for shaping, adjusting the wood), Mathematics, and Bodybuilding. Maybe Architecture too?

Signature courtesy of the great and wise Prophet
Kayak
Retired Staff

Words: 83721
Joined roleplay: July 5th, 2017, 11:36 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Ramona Silvertongue on July 12th, 2017, 8:23 pm

Alright I've added those in. I've also included: Philosophy, since one has to know the knowledge of how it works. Also since it's essential to know what your building and how it works etc etc etc. XD

SPEECH

|| "Pavi." || Pavi Sign. || "Other Speaking 1." || My Speech 1." || My Thoughts || "Common." ||

Ramona Silvertongue
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Languish on July 12th, 2017, 11:35 pm

I would consider that Planning, if you're trying to work out what you're building, how it is going to function, etc. Philosophy is pretty abstract, I think. Unless you're talking about theoretical design, in which case, I'm not sure.

I would agree with Carving as a prerequisite, but I think as far as Mathematics or Architecture go, it depends on how you write the skill. If you include installation and commercial use of wood as a part of the definition, then yes, you're going to have to understand architecture and construction. If you keep it to the cutting, shaping, and groomingErr, not the right word, but hopefully you know what I mean. of wood, then those things aren't going to be as essential.

A quick Wiki search defined Carpentry as follows, but you by no means have to follow such a definition. Just for an idea:
Carpentry is a skilled trade in which the primary work performed is the cutting, shaping and installation of building materials during the construction of buildings
(Also mentioned ships, bridges, framework, etc.)
Languish
Wasting Away

Words: 126070
Joined roleplay: September 15th, 2016, 2:19 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Sayana on July 12th, 2017, 11:56 pm

I hope too many cooks doesn't spoil the broth....

I actually think there should be next to no 'prerequisites' for carpentry. You can make a basic shelf by cutting planks of wood and nailing them together. All you need is a straight stick with a set measurement to make sure all the shelves are the same length. Then you nail it together and file/sand.

Almost all the other skills mentioned make great 'related' skills.

I consider CarvingCarving is the creation of a decorative object by removing material (such as wood, ivory, stone, and so forth) in order to achieve a desired shape. similar to SculptingSculpting is the skill of creating three dimensional artwork by shaping wood or stone. and I don't actually know why they are different skills on Miz. However, I do think they are distinct from Carpentry because they would involve curved and decorative pieces (eg art or finishes) rather than simple functional pieces (eg a bench or wall). Again, you can make your shelf plain and boring with carpentry without knowing how to carve at all.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Ramona Silvertongue on July 14th, 2017, 7:14 pm

Thanks Languish and Sayana!

@Languish: Philosophy is pretty abstract since it branches off to so many topics and concepts that relate to Carpentry. I could maybe include what you've listed as stages or something for Carpentry?

@Sayana: Yes I agree that Carving and Sculpting would be similar. Though, they're a little more on the arts and crafts side, but I don't think that it'll hurt to include them as related skills because you can use carving to manipulate your work when working with architecture and what not. Also when you talked about the shelf, I think that that would relate to an artistic design. Since carpentry usually related with the workings of wood and mathematics, they don't have to necessarily make it look pretty perse. They just need to make it look like it's done as right as they can?

SPEECH

Ramona Silvertongue
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ramona Silvertongue on July 15th, 2017, 1:13 am

Also, Languish and Sayana, I've included your preferences in the list. Also, we've forgot a very important skill needed for Carpentry. Construction. Lol, can't forget about that. Plus, I don't know when people are building up their woodworking skills- that they're getting rewarded their construction skill points...

Edit: Should I also request for approval to start developing it at this time?

SPEECH

Ramona Silvertongue
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Skill Development: Carpentry, WIP

Postby Ramona Silvertongue on December 12th, 2017, 4:11 pm

SYNOPSIS
'

Carpentry is a skill which is needed in order to apply these other sets of skills; cutting, shaping, and the ability to perform the process of building creations. This is simply a skill needed so that people on their day to day lives would know how to fix something in their homes without depending on someone else. This skill is also the foundation for building new homes, and buildings alike.

PREREQUISITES

Players who are entering the field of carpentry, must have prior knowledge about woodworking, and different types of carpentry. It is essential to build realistic projects that shape Mizahar today.

TOOLS

Image Molding Plane: Text.
Image Rebate Plane: Text.
Image Double Sheaving Block: Text.
Image Caulking Mallet: Text.

RELATED SKILLS

Construction: Construction is the ability to build a large building. This normally is related to carpentry since people would need a lot of wood in order to complete the process of building a large building.

HISTORY

Carpentry has been known throughout Mizahar. Research has been dated prior to the Pre-Valterrian. However, most of the major cities that have existed have been raised to the ground, and are either now ruins or just straight up rubble and debris.

After the Pre-Valterrian, many new cities and communities have been birthed to exist in the world of Mizahar. Each domain have their own specific general 'style' of construction, that people from outside of these cities would somehow be able to tell the difference.

Even today, cities are working to improve on expanding their buildings, and level of 'style'. There is still so much more for the cities of Mizahar that needs to be worked on.

b. Current use of Carpentry
D. Skill Progression:
a. Novice (1-25)
I. Description of Novice work here.
b. Competent (26-50)
I. Description of Competent work here.
c. Expert (51-75)
I. Description of Expert work here.
d. Master (76-100)
I. Description of Master work here.
E. Work Cited
a. List of references (would be definitely be writing this article with my own writing).
F. Mizahar References (if any)
a. List would go here.
G. Important Notes (This can have it's own section)
a. List of important notes here.

If anyone sees anything missing, I could post a request through the article approval thread soon. Just waiting to see who else might be interested with this skill. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as we'll be getting one skill done at a time (even if it is a slow process).
[/size]

SPEECH

Ramona Silvertongue
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Previous