The Lost Kids

34th: Many children orphaned by the raid on Endrykas are left without parents or homes to take care of them. Pavilions with enough to spare this winter are asked to take on a few extra mouths until something more permanent can be found.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

The Lost Kids

Postby Tribal on December 7th, 2015, 4:11 am

Frey Godric
Ana Bearhide
Ivar Snowhunt
Details
Details
Details
Age: Four (18th fall). Hair Colour: Flaxen. Eye Colour: Hazel. Frey’s parents were both from Kenash and migrated to the city of tents one summer when they were much younger for a change of lifestyle. Frey was an only child and can act a little spoilt from time to time, he doesn’t share well or ever say very much but he is friendly and likeable in his own way. Frey has a fear of large animals but enjoys being about dogs, small hunting cats, and goats. Age: Nine (22nd spring). Hair Colour: Dark brown. Eye Colour: Brown. Ana is tall for her age and very mature, often choosing to sit with adults and work on crafting projects rather than play with children her own age. She was the eldest of three children and tended to mother the younger two. She likes to help with cooking and enjoys working with and being around horses. Age: Five (74th summer). Hair Colour: Brown. Eye Colour: Blue. Ivar had a twin brother named Kai who was taken by the pirates along with his solo mother Kyla Snowhunt. He is a curious, happy young boy that likes to play and makes friends easily. He has a pet fox named Chepi that follows him everywhere and tends to snap at strangers. Ivar likes to be sung to before bed and tends to have bad dreams from time to time.
Skills
Skills
Skills
Foraging 10 Animal Husbandry 10 Storytelling 10 Riding, Horse 10 Horsemanship 10 Cooking 10 Painting 10 Camouflage 10 Singing 10

Rules for adoption had been posted and whispered about amongst the pavilions willing to take on a few extra mouths this season. There was no telling if the ships would ever return and for some of the children, it wouldn’t matter; their parents, siblings and clan mates were gone, they had no one left. For them, today was even scarier than that terrifying morning that had already passed.

“They can’t leave Endrykas, if you’re planning on traveling, don’t,” an old woman said to a young family who had decided to adopt two brothers aged nine and seven. “They need suitable bedding, clothing, and food. We also prefer married couples over single Drykas to look after these children, though those living in pavilions with existing children will be considered.”

The old woman had a hard, thin line for a mouth, wrinkles decorated the edges of her eyes, and her cheeks sagged just past the small ball of her chin. Her hair was white and her hands were worn, but her heart was in the right place. She would take on every single one of those children if it was within her power, but old age had crept up on her and this winter promised to be a tough one.

By the end of the morning there were only a handful of children without homes to go to and Hannah, the old woman, was now considering any who cared to show interest.
Tribal
Lost in the Tall Grass

Words: 242363
Joined roleplay: June 28th, 2015, 11:43 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes

The Lost Kids

Postby Merevaika on December 11th, 2015, 10:28 pm

Merevaika

Ywana was a fierce woman to argue with. Merevaika had tried to protest but the woman had been fierce. Speaking to her as she practised with her quarterstaff was increasingly terrifying as she watched the older woman slice at the straw mannequin. She had insisted that Merevaika had to do this to gain any sort of respect. A single woman, enough money to own several horses, who had made such a bad entrance into the city, needed to show that she would do something for the city.

Adopting one of the children orphaned by the terrifying events of yesterday would be the thing Ywana urged her to do. Eventually, the Drykas gave in, and made her slow and steady way to where the children were, hoping that by some stroke of luck they all would be gone now that it was coming near midday.

She wasn't that lucky, and there were a few that remained. The old woman who cared for them looked old and worn, wrinkled with striking white hair. Merevaika gave her a greeting, before looking at the children before her. As much as she didn't want to, she found herself observing them as she would observe a horse for sale.

A young boy stood out, but it wasn't him that made him unique. It was the small fox by his feet, currently snapping at a passer by. Adorable. Merevaika bent over, reaching out a few fingers. The fox stared at her, before snapping quickly, although not as violently before. Merevaika tried smiling softly at the little boy. "Hello, there, what's your name?" she asked softly, and he smiled back.

"Ivar," he replied with a smile, "Have you come to adopt me?"

"I hope so," she replied, liking him already. Then she turned to the old woman, ready to get the details sorted. Perhaps this wouldn't be too bad. She smiled at her, even more forced, "Are there any details I should know about the adoption? I'm interested in taking little Ivar home with me."
Last edited by Merevaika on December 13th, 2015, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pavi Common

Merevaika
Player

Words: 569615
Joined roleplay: November 8th, 2014, 9:33 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)

The Lost Kids

Postby Seirei Dawnwhisper on December 13th, 2015, 6:09 pm

When Seirei learned that a call had gone out for people to take in one of the children that had lost their families to the devastating attack that Endrykas had suffered the day before, her heart went out to the newly orphaned children. In the space of a single day, they had lost...everything. Seirei found that she could easily relate to what the children must be feeling. She knew the pain and grief of loss, both from the death of her mother, and the betrayal of the caravan she had grown up with. She also knew what it was like to lose everything she had ever known, and the soul deep pain, fear, and uncertainty that came with losing everything you loved and cared for.

For that reason, Seirei couldn't not try to take one or two of the orphaned children in. Shahar had been taken by the pirates, and his absence was a devastating loss to them. Seirei grieved deeply for the loss of the man who had welcomed her into his home when she needed help the most. She had grown to see the man as a brother, and he and Naiya had adopted her into their family as a sister. But as much as she missed him, and was terrified for what might be happening to him, their camp itself was in fairly good shape. They hadn't lost any of the zibri or other animals that called the camp home. Nor had they lost their supplies and food stores to the pirates.

Seirei was confident that they could care for one of the orphans without placing any of them at undue risk as winter progressed. As a mother herself, she could not ignore the call for help. She hoped that if something ever happened to her, that her twins would be cared for. And she knew that the mothers of these children must have wanted that as well. Any mother would. She also hoped that having another child in the camp might give Naiya something to focus on besides the loss of her husband. She knew that nothing could possibly lessen the grief that Naiya must be feeling, but having something to do, something to focus on might help her to continue on in spite of it.

It was those reasons that brought Seirei out to see if she could offer a home to any of the orphaned children. The morning was nearly over by the time Seirei managed to get out because she had had to see to the needs of her twins. But there were still a few children left in need of homes when she arrived. Seirei's attention was quickly drawn to a young girl who was standing a distance away from the other children.

"My name is Seirei. What's yours?" she asked gently as she approached the girl.

"Ana Bearhide." the girl replied softly.

Seirei spoke with the child for a short time, and during the discussion, she learned that Ana was the eldest of three children, and that she enjoyed helping out with her younger siblings. Ana seemed to be mature for her age. And as they talked, Seirei learned that they shared something in common; a love for crafts. Ana seemed to enjoy a variety of crafts while Seirei's main interest was in carving. But a bond through shared interests might make Ana feel more at home with her if Seirei was able to take her in.

When Seirei asked if Ana would want to live with her, Ana smiled shyly, and nodded. Seirei promised that she would try to make that possible. Then she approached the old woman who appeared to be in charge.

"If it is possible, I would like to adopt Ana. Is there anything I need to know about the adoption process?" she asked politely.

Seirei Dawnwhisper
Player

Words: 511147
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2014, 7:11 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

The Lost Kids

Postby Tribal on January 3rd, 2016, 12:14 am

Hannah narrowed her gaze at Merevaia, “And where exactly would home be?” she asked after waving goodbye to another family, “The boy can never leave Endrykas you know, what if his family returns? I won’t send anyone across country looking for their lost children.”

The old woman wrote something down in small, hard to read print before acknowledging Ivar with a warm smile, “Are you all right, dear? Would you like some water?”
The blue eyed boy shook his head and closed his arms around the little red fox, No thank you, he signed.

Turning her attention back to Merevaika, Hannah smiled once more, though the gesture did not hold the same warmth it did for the boy or any of the children in her care for the matter. “What do you know about raising children? Do you have suitable accommodation, food, clothes to bring up a young person? He will need educating, devotion, and time. What is your line or work, are you married, do you have any plans to travel?” Were just some of the questions the woman bombarded Merevaika with.

Perhaps all of this Seirei had overheard, seen as she was stood close enough to ask her own questions of Hannah, to which the woman only offered a slow, critical glance.
Tribal
Lost in the Tall Grass

Words: 242363
Joined roleplay: June 28th, 2015, 11:43 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes

The Lost Kids

Postby Merevaika on January 10th, 2016, 2:27 pm

Merevaika

The woman seemed to know how Merevaika was never tied down, accusing her of possibly taking the boy far from Endrykas. Merevaika knew that that wasn't going to happen. She wasn't going to leave any time soon. Not after spending so long in Riverfall. "He will remain right here. I wouldn't take a boy like this far. The Sea of Grass is deadly." She knew that well enough.

The woman wrote things down before speaking to Ivar, asking if he was okay. Something Merevaika would have never thought to do - surely he was old enough to be able to get some water if he wanted it, or just ask for if it need be. Merevaika wasn't experienced with young children and she didn't want to, but she had to. Behind them, a woman conversed with a young girl, demonstrate true interest in adopting, not just because she had been forced into it.

The woman behind them was on the cusp of adulthood, innocent blue eyes staring out. They were the same as the one's the girl she had stolen from, not that long ago. It was the same person. Feeling a tightening in her heart, Merevaika turned away from her, bringing her hood over her head. Even if the old woman appeared confused at the sudden desire to hide her appearance, Merevaika didn't notice.

It added to her urge to get this over with. The old woman bombarded her with questions, Merevaika's annoyance clear on her face. She wanted to adopt, wasn't that enough? No, she had to be interrogated first.

"I don't know much," she lied, not knowing anything, "But my sister has two children, she's happy to help me." She looked towards the little boy hugging his fox, "I don't have everything for him, not yet. I wanted to know who I was buying for before I got clothes and other things. But I have a big enough tent for him and enough money to provide for what he needs."

More questions came. The things Merevaika needed came out, and she started to doubt whether she needed to do it. But Ywana would throw her out otherwise and in winter, especially winter, Merevaika needed the company. "I am a wilderness guide, but he need not come with me if work calls. My sister will happily babysit him." Or so she believed. Truth be told, she didn't know what she would do with a child if she had to leave for several days. "I am not married, nor do I plan to travel far. Is that enough, or will you persuade me not to adopt him with more questions?"

Merevaika's anger and annoyance was clear now and she reached out, snatching hold of Ivar's hand. Her grip was tight, but also comforting. She didn't want to hurt him nor appear aggressive, she just wanted to show that she wanted to adopt him. If he appeared uncomfortable, she would simply release her grip. She hoped he wouldn't.

"Pavi"
Grassland sign
"Common"
Pavi Common

Merevaika
Player

Words: 569615
Joined roleplay: November 8th, 2014, 9:33 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)

The Lost Kids

Postby J'Ak on January 12th, 2018, 3:08 pm

G R A D E

M E R E V A I K A

Click :
xp

Investigation +1
Persuasion +1

lores

Ywana: A fierce woman to argue with
Persuasion: Telling another what they wish to hear
Investigation: Adopting a child in Endrykas

S E I R E I

Click :
xp

Investigation +1

lores

Investigation: Adopting a child in Endrykas
Children bring hope to a family

If you feel I missed anything shoot me a PM!
Don't forget to edit your grade request.

J'Ak
Player

Words: 8630
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2015, 2:35 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet