Open [The Azure Market] Book Shopping

Shopping in Lhavit isn't easy, not at least when you are Kelvic and don't have Kina.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

[The Azure Market] Book Shopping

Postby Kelski on September 8th, 2014, 3:12 am

Timestamp: 5th of Fall, 514 AV

Someone should have told her that kelvics with mizas instead of kina had a hard time buying things in the market. Her money was good, but it was undoubtedly her looks that turned people off. Kelski found herself waiting quietly for long periods of time until sales people at the booths were not busy and even then they hesitated to help her. At a place that sold scarfs, she found two she really wanted. Having never had finery before in her life, the Kelvic wanted something nice. They were silk, and terribly expensive, but the kelvic had coveted them anyhow. One was a bright clear blue that reminded her of the sky. It fringe that swung in a way that delighted the young woman. The second was an ombre scarf that went from black to white like her hair... an almost perfect match for her complexion as well. It brightened her steel grey eyes and gave them a luminous glow almost like quicksilver.

She had hoped to get to the market to get some jewelry inspirations and brainstorm about color and cheaper lines of jewelry that everyday people would wear. She was there to find out what was a hit at The Azure Market in terms of jewelry and what was missing. Trends said a lot about fashion and Kelski, along with Li's help, was learning to interpret them and thus supply the need.

It took her a long time to get the shopkeeper of the booth to acknowledge she was there and even longer to take her coin. In the end, she frowned and left the fifty mizas on the table where the woman kept her coin in order to leave with the scarves. She would hang them in places in her cave, brightening the walls, and making the place feel more homey.

Moving onward, with both scarves now draped around her neck, Kelski found a small bookseller that had simple titles. She was carefully looking through them, trying to find something useful for her. One she picked up was a simple volume on cooking and baking. Another, far more interesting, was a book on Auristics and how to begin learning what the title claimed was the easiest of magics.

Kelski cleared her throat a few times and stood where the bookseller could see her, but he never even looked her way. He helped others and seemingly glanced at her a time or two, but could not bring himself to speak. The Kelvic would have left the cost of the books on the table before him again, but neither volume was marked.

She cleared her throat again. "Excuse me... can you tell me how much these two books are? I'd like to buy them?" She asked politely, waiting until he was talking to no one and not doing anything but keeping an eye on her out of the corner of his eye. "I' have Mizas." She added, pacing back and forth. She wanted the books but couldn't leave with them until she paid because it would break one of the rules of the market. But she didn't know what to pay.

"Can you tell me the cost? I'd like to buy them." She repeated softly just as another customer came up and the book booth owner greeted them warmly. The Kelvic sighed in frustration, glanced up at the position of the sun, and sighed. This was going no-where fast.
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Izuyanai on September 16th, 2014, 8:38 am

Izuyanai padded into the Azure from the Surya Plaza, roaming around the market place to enjoy the vast array of goods. Bright lengths of cloth swished in the wind and odd pieces of jewellery glinted from counters and makeshift tables. As she walked, her sharp eyes spotted several books for sale and veered course to approach the stand. What sort of tomes could be found here? She had been searching for an easy read for quite sometime. None of the larger texts could captivate her attention for too long. In the time it took for her to arrive, she noticed a woman hovering by the sales man with two books in her arms. Even as Izuyanai watched, the sales man seemed to ignore her by assisting other customers. Raising a questioning brow and clicking her tongue disapprovingly, she strode up to the stand. Such rudeness did not do justice to the fair home of the star goddess.

The sales man greeted, "Welcome! Is there anything specific you are looking for?" Izuyanai shook her head and proceeded to browse the titles of the texts on her own. As she ran her finger along the spines of the books, the woman to her right let out a small sigh. Just out of the corner of her eye, the stranger could be seen. She was standing, looking up at the sky with fashionable scarves swaying to every movement. Her patience could be admired, considering what would have occurred had it been Izuyanai in her place. In short, the wandering finger stopped at a book proclaiming to be an easy guide to calligraphy. Pleased with this discovery, she took the book in her hand and looked expectantly at the sales man. "Ah, are you looking to purchase? That'll be 10 Kina," he said a little too eagerly. Izuyanai smirked, "That's a little pricey, no? I take it for 3 Kina." She had been taught well and had observed enough monetary transactions to know, in general, if she was being robbed. The man looked incredulous, "I'll go no lower than 6!" "Done!" The young girl donned a friendly smile while the man held out his hand for the money, not looking too displeased.

However, with the winning smile still frozen in place, Izuyanai pointed to the books in the arms of the woman still rooted to the spot. "How much are those?" The raven haired girl was still smiling, but something about her eyes made the friendly expression uncomfortably eery. "Those'll be... 11 Kina," the man replied rather meekly. At those words Izuyanai deftly swung her backpack off of her shoulders and fished out several coins. Rather pointedly missing the man's outstretched hand for the coins, she tossed 17 Kina onto the table with a flick of her wrist. "Pleasure doing business," she drawled. Her dark hair swished as she turned to stroll off with the calligraphy book held close to her chest, but not before shooting a subtle wink at the taller female.
Last edited by Izuyanai on September 17th, 2014, 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Izuyanai
I'm back!

Words: 165305
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2014, 8:14 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Phelan Lyall on September 17th, 2014, 4:22 am

Phelan had been wandering around the market for a while, attempting to find a place that sold books so that he could do some studying at home instead of having to walk all the way up to the library to due research on his craft. After a while, the wolf found his way to the bookshop and walked in while the shopkeeper was dealing with another customer. Getting into his search, the wolf didn't immediately notice the shopkeeper completely ignoring another customer until the woman used the term "Miza".

Looking up, the wolf watched as another customer paid for the ignored girls books, then walked up to the woman who had paid before she could leave. "Thanks for helping her, ma'am. Glad to know there's some decent folk running around." Phelan said, bowing slightly before turning back to the girl who had gotten ignored. "Hello, ma'am. Um...are you new to the Lhavit? If so, do you want some help learning the way around? I've lived here all my life, so I can show you around pretty well if you want." he said, giving the timid-seeming girl a warm smile.
Phelan Lyall
Player

Words: 11111
Joined roleplay: September 6th, 2014, 2:39 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Izuyanai on September 21st, 2014, 8:59 am

Much to the shopkeeper's distaste, Izuyanai halted to acknowledge the newcomer. 'Decent' was it? Well, that could pass for a compliment. Maybe this stranger wasn't half bad, but she was wary. "Of course, I'm always glad to help. But who might you be? We can't have just anyone guiding away a lady. No offence meant, of course. I am Izuyanai Kokuryu, Kelvic hunter of Lhavit." She inclined her head and scrutinised the slightly disheveled looking stranger.

Just then she recalled her rapier, or rather, her lack of one. She had overheard the stranger say he was a long time resident of Lhavit, maybe he would know something that could help her. "Also, since you seem to know the city so well, I wonder if you could recommend somewhere for me to obtain some weapons," she added as an afterthought. "The Touch of Fire seems to be rather busy at the moment."
Izuyanai
I'm back!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Kelski on September 21st, 2014, 6:42 pm

Truthfully Kelski wasn't sure what just happened. Did the girl just buy the books she wanted? The Kelvic looked from the bookseller to the newcomer and back, knowing instinctively that the woman was a kelvic. The woman was a force to be reckoned with though, because she didn't take any of the bookseller's attitude and shopped and paid without any of the issues Kelski seemed to have.

The sea eagle glanced down at the books in her hand and then at the woman. She dug into her pocket, retrieved the coins the girl had paid and held out her hand to offer the woman the cost in repayment. The Kelvic wasn't someone who wanted to owe anyone any money anywhere.

Then her head turned as a second voice spoke. He seemed to be thanking the woman for her. Kelski felt a little like crawling under the table that housed the books. She met the kind man's eyes as he seemed to be sincere in his words and then froze when he put his full attention on her. In the exchange she caught the female kelvics name too.

"Yes... thank you. Thank you both." Kelski said, dipping her head slightly, letting her ombre locks partially cover her face. She was distinctly uncomfortable with the attention, but didn't want to rush off rudely. "I've never shopped in a place like this before. I... well this is my first time shopping at all. i don't know how else to do things. There are so many people and its very confusing. I do know my way around a bit now, but I haven't really talked to many people yet. I... I'm an apprentice. We don't get out to mingle much." Kelski said, then stepped forward.

"Thank you Izuyanai. I mean that. Will you take this coin? I do need these books. Especially the cooking one. My meager skill barely keeps me alive." Kelski said, a grin lighting up her face. She glanced back at the male, then back at Izuyanai.

"I don't know what the Touch of Fire is, but there's weapons in the market here. I've seen booths... booths I think you call them?... filled with them. I saw some two rows down and across one.. layer... isle?" Kelski added, trying to be helpful. She gestured with the hand holding the books.

An with that information, she politely nodded to both, wishing them well and walking off to finish her shopping.
Last edited by Kelski on January 15th, 2015, 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Phelan Lyall on September 22nd, 2014, 3:24 am

Phelan looked over at the other woman as she approached, then tipped his head slightly as she introduced herself. "Well, you're welcome to tag along if you want. Anyway, my name's Phelan Lyall, I'm a Kelvic blacksmith, a native of the city." he said, grinning slightly at the two women. Truth be told, Phelan looked a bit skinny to be a blacksmith, but if one looked close, you could see the muscle tone and small burn marks of a blacksmith.

Turning to the other girl as she mentioned that she hadn't been shopping before but had seen some weapons around the market, as well as not knowing what the Touch of Fire was. "The Touch of Fire is the local smithy, where my father worked. It makes armor and weapons and such." he said, before turning back to Izuyanai . "But she's right, there's a few weapons to be bought here in the market. Not as good as the stuff you can get from the Touch of Fire, I'd guess, but still serviceable." he said, before another thought occurred to him and he turned back to the other girl.

"You know, I don't believe I caught your name, ma'am." he said, running a hand through his hair in some embarrassment. "I don't mean to be rude, but I must have missed it at some point. I'm sorry, but could I have it again?" he asked, laughing slightly as he spoke.
Phelan Lyall
Player

Words: 11111
Joined roleplay: September 6th, 2014, 2:39 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Izuyanai on September 22nd, 2014, 11:18 am

Apprentice? Izuyanai's attention peaked as the omber haired woman made this vague remark. What she really wanted to do was shower her with questions, but until now, the lady had been very reserved and perhaps nervous. She hated to be the aggravating buzzard, so she pursed her lip to keep quiet. It was better to remain silent and watch things play out, as her father had often said.

So it was slightly startling when the woman held out the coins, grinning. Izuyanai hesitated with her hand hovering midway between the woman's hand and her own frame. Should she accept it? She had originally meant to aid her as a warm gesture and it had never been a question about money. However, as she looked up into the grey eyes, she saw a strong resolve that would not easily be swayed. Beaming with approval and acceptance of the woman's wishes, Izuyanai gently plucked the coins into her own palm with a small nod. Anyways, it had been nice to see her smile even for a little bit.

Absentmindedly pocketing the coins and making some light clinking noises, Izuyanai nodded and listened as the woman gestured in the general direction of the booths. Perfect! If they sold something she liked, she would finally have something to practice with. "Thank you. I'd say you know how to handle shopping better than you think," she remarked cheerfully.

Just then, the man who introduced himself as Phelan spoke up. "You know, I don't believe I caught your name, ma'am." That was right, Izuyanai mused. They both didn't know much about this graceful stranger. So far, the curious gathering in front of the ruffled storekeeper composed of a Kelvic blacksmith and hunter. The falcon hunter now assumed the last member to introduce herself to be a Kelvic as well. The woman's porcelain skin, bright grey eyes, and beautiful hair colouring proclaimed that she was not only human, but something more. Izuyanai thought back to her own reflection in the mirror. Almost completely human, unless you searched deep within her flashing eyes.

Still, she wondered what animal this Kelvic lady was. If she was a Kelvic at all, of course.
Izuyanai
I'm back!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Kelski on January 22nd, 2018, 1:14 am

Kelski

Experience: Observation +2, Negotiation +2
Lore: Lhavit: Takes Kinas not Mizas

Note: Acquisitions: Black and White Ombre Scarf, Bright Sky Blue Scarf, Book on Cooking and Baking, Book on Auristics

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)