Sometimes, Life Happens...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Postby Prophet on January 22nd, 2018, 10:47 pm

We hear it often.

"Life happened."
"Life got crazy."
"I was really sick."
"Work picked up."
"My professors went insane with projects this semester."
"I'm moving."

All of these mean the same thing to an RPer- the writing time is about to get scarce. Sad but true, this affects just about everyone I've ever encountered on roleplay forums. It's nice that we're all equally targeted by the world because it creates an environment of understanding and sympathy for the situation. It's also a bit of a pain because you know that, at some point, your favorite writing partner is going to wane on you.

Goss paid me a compliment the other day. She said "Prophet's a really good writer, too. He just needs to focus on a PC." Something to that extent (I'm going off memory since it was thousands of messages back in Discord) but you get the gist. As staff, we communicate more than the rest of the members and for a plethora of reasons. One of the main ones is that we all have a pretty good idea of what our individual lives are like outside of Miz. I've been struggling to post on a consistent basis as of late. I took on a big project with Ravok -which is glorious- but also time-consuming. In an effort to help get the ball rolling, I set all of my PCs aside for winter to try and get a little more caught up in their stories. If any of you are thread partners with me, you know I haven't made much progress.

That being said, I've been doing a lot of thinking lately and have come to the only fair conclusion I can think of- a culling. My time on Miz seems to be less consistent than it used to be but such is the life of a man with young children. I do not wish to see Ravok closed. I'm not finished with it and I don't think it's fair to the PCs who have just started to create their stories and establish themselves (I also like the power of wearing DS pants even if they are teal). So where does that leave me? I have 5 PCs.... yes, 5. I've been a horrible thread partner for (likely) close to a year and that needs to change.

I've spent so much energy trying to balance everyone and everything that I've lost direction with some of my PCs (completely lost, in one case) and I need a way to jump start my writing again. In the spirit of Mizahar being a game, I took all of my PCs and put them in a list alphabetically from 1-10 in a repeating order. I then used chat to roll over and over until I could eliminate one after the other. I know some people will be upset or hurt and others might get mad but the truth is that if I didn't do SOMETHING, I was going to burn myself right out of Miz.

I am not retiring any PCs but I am putting a few of them on hold indefinitely. This is just the way it is. So without any further ado, the TWO surviving PCs are Allister and Berkley. For Azmere, Rhodri and Titus, their tales will have to wait until another time or when I can find more time to write. Please feel free to contact me if you need some kind of resolution. I will try to wrap up lingering threads but my main focus will be on my beautiful city and the two PCs that Discord's DiceBot selected.

I am not going anywhere! <---let it sink in. I am, however, trying to be more responsible with my time. I felt horribly guilty for almost the entire second half of 2017 because I couldn't seem to finish any plots with my PCs and that left a lot of people high and dry. I cannot write for five PCs; it's simply too much and drains my creative juices on self-defeating mantras. This is my decision and I am willing to accept that not everyone will be happy with it. Not sure what to say other than I'm sorry.

One final thing and I'll terminate this rant. The reason I set about this soul-searching is because my wife and I found out we're going to have another baby sometime this fall. I cannot, in good conscience, allow myself to be stressed over Mizahar given my present home life. Rather than give it up entirely, I made a decision to trim my load back to see if that puts me back to where writing can be cathartic and full of feels instead of grinding myself to dust over taking a nap instead of posting.

If you need me, you know where to find me. That is all.

Template Courtesy of Wymez
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Words: 816271
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2016, 5:18 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Rufio on January 23rd, 2018, 3:30 pm

Firstly, congratulations! Another mini-you sounds like an awesome (frightening) thing!

It sounds like you're doing what's sensible, what's realistic and what's best for you, best for your family and best for your passion at Mizahar. Taking on less here, means those PCs you do write with will get the best of you, and your people in real life will get the best of you, and that's better than spreading yourself thin and feeling unsatisfied. I appreciate you putting it all out here and letting us all know. I think putting down well-established PCs, which you've played for eons, like that takes courage. It's hard to say no to people. But I'm not disappointed, 'cause I know you're looking after your well-being, which matters more than whether Rufio gets to hang with Azmere.

I'll miss those grassland hangs. Maybe while Ru's off adventuring she'll meet one of your active PCs. Or maybe they'll meet in their dreams (heh).

I'm glad you're staying around! I'm glad Ravok isn't closing for all the PCs that are playing there (you lookin' fine in those teal pants). I'm glad you're looking after you.

It's very cool. Rufio's nodding here too.
Rufio
Player

Words: 286748
Joined roleplay: June 21st, 2015, 10:40 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Antipodes on January 24th, 2018, 2:44 am

Proph,
I know we've spoken in staff chat but I felt it was worth a formal reply. I just want to thank you for being an inspiration and for your honesty and dedication. You have been such an amazing ST and have put so much love and care into your domains and I'm, for one, glad you have the integrity to put your hand up and admit when you have too much on your plate. I know putting characters aside is never an easy decision, especially when it means plots and stories being put on hold indefinitely and the effect this has on your writing partners, but your priority is to you domain and I respect that.

Do what you need to do to be happy and for you to continue to enjoy what you do. You're a wonderful member of the site and staff and I'm, personally,
glad you are remaining on board.

Oh, and congratulations on the future blue eyed monster <3
Much love,
Anti
cs review starting package cs help cs templates discord
Antipodes
your guide to the other side

Words: 42671
Joined roleplay: December 18th, 2017, 9:14 pm
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)

Postby Gossamer on January 24th, 2018, 3:02 am

I'm actually super grateful for three things.... first that you Prophet are having your third child like you and your wife planned.

Secondly, I'm glad you are staying on for Ravok's sake. The city couldn't take another closure at this time and its in super great hands even if you are a bit absent. People are going to understand as your wife gets closer to this time.

And thirdly, I'm glad you are going to be focusing on just a couple of PCs. You are an amazing writer and that means that people will get to experience that more.

Thanks for all you do.

Gossamer
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Evarista on January 24th, 2018, 8:56 am

Prophet wrote:Sometimes, Life Happens...

AHHHHHH

Prophet wrote:I am not going anywhere!

Phew.
Evarista
Whose eyes are those eyes?

Words: 372744
Joined roleplay: August 1st, 2016, 11:28 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Ravok Seasonal Challenge (1)