Solo Son of Aster

Farris finds himself in an unknown place with a familiar face.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Son of Aster

Postby Farris on July 24th, 2018, 6:43 am

74th of Summer, 518, 2nd Bell.

All was quiet in the Sunset Quarter. Leth made his ascent into the skies of Mizahar and the sounds of Sunberth began to dwindle. Little by little, the excitement of life faded away until the maw of darkness encompassed a great many of the souls of the city, Farris included. Dreams weren't a thing that Farris took stock in, and his sleep wasn't riddled with them. Rather, he rested his mind and body, entirely unaware of the shadows watching him. Throughout the day a figure lurked in the distance, watching the Ravokian mage trudge through the daily business he had within Sunberth. Such a figure didn't make themselves known and instead, struck when it was apparent that sleep took hold of Farris' senses. Stolen away by the breath of night, there were few that noticed and less that cared that the Ravokian was gone. His door swung closed and locked behind them. When the mage stirred he was on the back of a grand, stone creature. But, his consciousness did not persist for long. He felt a blow strike him in the head, his brains rattling from the impact as a loud groan signaled his fall into the caress of sleep once more.

3rd Bell

The ride continued, the path tread marked with violence of a different nature. Sunberth was rife with gang violence and death, but the creatures of the Wildlands bowed neither to reason or thought. Fire and Lightning seared would-be threats into oblivion, but Farris was left to unconsciousness, transported unwillingly and unknowingly to a shelter hidden deep in the wilderness. Reinforced with Shielding Glyphs and Reimancy, the shelter was protected. And so, the figures sought to wake Farris up. Water splashed into Farris' face, the chill of night and the wetness of his clothes pulling him from the lull. Immediately, his gaze shifted about, his surroundings far different than he expected.

The Reimancer was not bound or gagged, nor was he placed in a detainment cell or stripped of his possessions. Instead, there was a stone visage in front of him. The sculpture, or what Farris assumed was a sculpture was clearly modeled after a mount of some kind. The sculpture was seven feet long and four feet to the shoulder. Its body was thick and sturdy. Its features were somewhat humanoid in shape. The sculpture's eyes were wide and held a glint of life to them. In fact, it was so realistic in appearance that Farris drew back as if the being might come to life in front of him. The motion was instinctive, but when the creature truly did come to life, a loud shout escaped Farris' lips.

Farris pulled at the djed that welled in the depths of his soul. He clenched his fists as he sought to gather Res in his hands. He did not concern himself with exposure, and instead he saw the threat for what it was and seeking an immediate retaliatory response. Res rose up from the back of his hands like smoke, staying no more than a foot above his hands as he noticed that the horse-thing wasn't trying to attack him. In fact, it almost seemed amused. It was as Farris began to mould his Res into a ball that a familiar face entered the fray. Farris' jaw dropped as he saw an old friend, an ally of his father's that he'd met while in Ravok so very long ago.

Asmid? Asmid the professor? What the bloody petch am I doing in some shelter with a stone horse and a long gone wizard? he thought to himself. The Res did not disippate despite his knowing the source of his troubles. Rather, he remained on the defensive as Asmid's lips parted in laughter.

"Oh Farris, how you've grown! You look the spitting image of your father!" he commented, which left the Reimancer both at a loss for what to do and incredibly alarmed at the comparison.

"My father is dead and I thought you were, too, Asmid. Where have you taken me? What am I doing here? Why have you shown up now, of all times?"

"Aster is dead, Farris. That much I know. I'm here because of that fact. Aster owed me a favour, boy. One I expect you to repay for him."

WC: 716

Last edited by Farris on July 24th, 2018, 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Farris
Player

Words: 128087
Joined roleplay: July 10th, 2018, 8:47 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Son of Ravok

Postby Farris on July 24th, 2018, 7:13 am

Perhaps, in some whimsy that crossed Farris' mind upon seeing Asmid, the wizard had hoped his father was truly alive. However, Asmid merely confirmed what the wizard could only assume logically. Of course, there was the chance that he was being misled, but he very much doubted that he would come so far merely to make nice and converse. Asmid, like Farris and his father before him, was a practical man. In Farris' youth, he'd spoken to the professor at length about some of the basic concepts of Reimancy. When the younger Farris was initiated, the professor even visited Ravok and tutored him once or twice during that visit. The past was a happier time for the Ravokian-born, but it was hardly the time to linger on such thoughts.

Asmid spoke of a favor owed to him by Farris' father and he found the idea to be absurd. Why must Farris answer for his father after years of him being gone? Why did Asmid arrive now and lay claim to such a prize? Anger welled within the Reimancer's heart as he rose to his feet. The Res at his palms did not enter the path to decay but instead, he mustered it into shape. Long streaks of it, jagged and uneven were pointed towards Asmid and his gods-forsaken abomination of a mount, the threat of unleashed lightning clear in the motion. However, neither Asmid nor the beast seemed to show any sort of reaction. Rather, the beast transformed. Its stone form seemed to melt and change in shape until there were two Asmids standing before him. One was made of flesh, withered and old, standing half a head shorter than Farris and lower still for the hunched posture he took. The stone Asmid, however, stood straight and proud. A wicked smirk cast upon its stone features, which gleamed in the dim firelight of a lantern hanging about near the sealed entrance to the hovel they were in.

Farris was utterly dumbfounded at the transformation. The Res balled up in front of him fell as he was disarmed by the nature of what was transpiring. Farris had never heard of or imagined the existence of such a creature, a stone being capable of transformation into numerous, differently-sized shapes. This was magic at a level his father had only mentioned in passing and the Reimancer's anger withered in the wake of enthrallment.

Asmid let an easy laugh escape his lips as he realized that Farris was not going to attack him. "You had me going for a moment, boy! Your curiosity continues to know no bounds, even getting past your fear. It will serve you well, today. At least, if you are willing to trust and to receive the gift I offer you."

Gift? Asmid traveled for months searching after Farris to give him a gift? the notion seemed absurd and yet here they were reunited again.

"Be direct with your next words, Asmid, or I'll not stay my hand again. You speak of a gift and yet all I see is your mirror image. You abscond with me to an unknown location and yet ask for trust? What game are you playing at, mage? Answer me!" he demanded. Farris did not take kindly to being patronized. He had no appreciation for the games that Asmid seemed keen on playing. It was far too early and he was much farther away from his home than he cared to be. He was stranded, locked in an earthen room with a mage with powers far greater than his own. Of course he had reason to be mistrusting. Of course he had reasons to be fearful.

"Calm down. It will take time to explain. My 'mirror' image is no illusion or construct compiled from stone. You've never seen him for I pursued Familiary after my last meeting with your father. He and I discussed many a time the merits of having a Fyrdenese familiar to join with us and yet he never had his chance to receive one. It just so happens, my dear boy, that you'll inherit the companion your father could never receive."

The professor's words struck Farris as odd. Fyrdenese? Familiars? What nonsense is he rattling on about? he thought to himself, listening intently should the professor choose to speak again. He did, and it seemed apparent to Asmid that Farris had no bloody idea what was going on.

"A familiar," he clarified, introducing the word again before explaining the concept. "This is not the only world with sentient life, Farris. Fyrden is a world far more hostile than our own, with several species that often war with one another for... any number of reasons. My companion here is a Kirt, one of the six 'Familiar' species from the world known as Fyrden. His name is Alastor and should you choose to accept, Alastor will summon us an ally for you to learn with and from."

An ally from a different world? The prospect sounds interesting...

"What else is there to know?" he asked, always one to be cautious and receive all the information possible in the moment. He grew more and more at ease with the situation as the night went on.

WC: 873

Last edited by Farris on July 24th, 2018, 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Farris
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Son of Aster

Postby Farris on July 24th, 2018, 7:42 am

When Farris posed his question, Asmid did not answer. Rather, Alastor, the Familiar bearing Asmid's shape was the one to speak next. The Familiar stood tall and bore a spark in his gaze that Asmid's age seemed to have robbed him. There was a swagger in the Kirt's step as he spoke, his granite gaze holding Farris' when the Reimancer turned to the only one speaking.

"There's a few things ya gotta know. A Familiar and its 'master'," he raised his fingers in a mockery of quotation, "are bonded for life. The connection is telepathic in nature and grows as the both of you learn more about each other and the world around you. Your familiar will, in time, have access to your knowledge and magick, and in turn, provides you with both an ally and a means of protection from harm. Kirts like us have an inborn ability to heal by eating minerals, you see. All wounds and all healing that harms or benefits one instead harms or saves the other. You share your soul with your Familiar and in turn, they share their insights, experiences and their abilities with you."

The explanation was to the point and direct. He described, albeit briefly the nature of the bond and immediately Farris could see both merits and drawbacks to such a connection. What if he grew to hate the Familiar? Did it have free will? Was it going to be a liability rather than a benefit? The Familiar only seemed to describe positive information about the magic known as Familiary and Farris perhaps wasn't getting the full story from it.

"Okay... Why would you give this Familiar to me?" he asked, hoping for a small answer to perhaps grant insight into the grander picture.

"Well... Xypher, the Kirt that I'll introduce you to, is being targeted by some Pascids in Fyrden. Often enough, when Familiars are marked for death it's better to send them to Mizahar. Better chances at survival and all that. This serves to your benefit! Xypher might be more inclined to play nice if you're so accommodating, you know. If you guys bond, you'll have a hell of an insightful ally to call your own."

Xypher, you say... Not a bad name. I'm not sure if I'll accept this invitation, but it doesn't hurt to see what might come of it, the Reimancer thought to himself. Alastor continued on to describe the process, the Summoning, the Binding of a contract and the nature of the Familiar's bond, and the young wizard listened intently. Farris heard tales of Summoning in the past, but his father didn't know it well and Farris by extension received very little information about it. This introduction into the discipline wasn't what he expected at all, and Farris didn't realize that he'd taken a seat in order to listen fully to what the Kirt offered him.

"Asmid and I will begin preparations. Sorry about boppin' you on the head, Farris. It would've been way more awkward to do this in your apartment, you see."

What a pathetic apology... he noted to himself as he watched what transpired next. Asmid carved out pieces of the earth beneath them, forging a circle in the ground and carving what looked to be numbers into the earth. Neither Asmid nor the Kirt bothered to explain the situation and so, Farris decided to investigate the occurrence himself. As they forged the circle needed for Summoning, Farris pulled at his reservoir of djed, guiding it up to his eyes. A glint of magic set upon his gaze as he set his sights first on the Kirt familiar. He resembled Asmid very closely, with only his stone facade giving away that they were different individuals. Alastor's aura extended several feet past him in every direction. It took the shape of his other form, it seemed, the horse-like shape and body with present despite the humanoid form taken in the moment. With his Sight, the wizard ascertained that the Familiar was well-learned in magic and possessed a steep pool of djed. However, along with that wide reserve of djed there was a thick line that branched from the Familiar over to Asmid. It seemed that the both of them shared the same aura...

I can't help but be fascinated. The prospect of being so in tune and in unison with anyone, much less some alien... seems insane. And yet...

The idea grew more and more appealing, and Farris was very much open to the possibility, though he needed to meet the would-be Familiar first. Obviously.

"Shouldn't be too much longer," Asmid called out to Farris. The words shook Farris from his thoughts and with a blink, he severed his connection with the aura of the Fyrdenese Familiar. He drew back until he was seated on the floor, watching with a mixture of astonishment and awe. He attempted to but failed to suppress a yawn, raising his hand to his lips as the toll of the night began to wear on him.

So much for sleep, he thought to himself as he watched Familiar and Master complete their work in silence. At least, apparent silence. By their movements, it was clear that the pair were working in unison.

They have a telepathic bond... They're probably so used to using it that it never occurs to them to speak to one another, he figured. As he watched, he found himself intrigued by the power that was being offered to him.

WC: 916

Last edited by Farris on July 24th, 2018, 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farris
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Son of Aster

Postby Farris on July 24th, 2018, 9:04 am

Alastor was a fascinating creature. He took on Asmid's shape and form. They seemed at one with their knowledge and they worked seamlessly, a prime example of what could transpire between Familiar and Master. The Reimancer thought back to earlier in the season, his conversations with Kelski when they had met. The thought of a bond struck the young man then as it did now. The idea of it was odd and yet the product of such a connection was before him. Two wizards who shared the same pool of djed, who shared one existence spread across two minds. Farris didn't know if he was going to accept their proposal, but his mind was certainly open to it. It wasn't until the Summoner's circle was complete that Farris withdrew from his thoughts. He watched, astounded as djed seemed to ripple in the air around him. The Sight wasn't active but his understanding of djed and his initiation in Auristics pointed out to him the utter anomaly that was present before him. It pulled at the wizard to investigate, and sure enough, Farris reached inward and pulled djed forth to his eyes once again.

The gateway was expansive and the djed that fueled it rose like flames from the ground. The sight of it was utterly magnificent, the numerous coordinates seemingly hovering above the gateway. The numbers meant nothing to Farris, who knew nothing about the universe and the coordination of the heavenly bodies that spanned above. In truth, Farris barely knew about Syna and Leth, for other gods and their principalities were never mentioned in the home of Rhysol. The Reimancer stared in amazement as the Kirt steeled itself. A moment of stillness before at last, it leaped into the gateway leaving Farris alone with his late father's close friend. Asmid turned around as if he sensed Farris' glare upon his back. The older wizard moulded Res into being, creating chairs made from stone for the pair to sit on as they waited for the Fyrdenese to arrive with his own companion in tow. While they waited, it was Asmid that broke the silence. Farris let his attention drift from the gateway, the Sight dying off in his gaze as it shifted towards Asmid.

"I truly am sorry about your -"

"Stop it. I don't need your sympathies, Asmid. You see where I live now and perhaps you can surmise my reasoning for doing so. There's nothing left for me in Ravok, so don't bother asking me to go back."

"I... wasn't going to. We came for Xypher. He's being hunted on Fyrden and Alastor won't be at ease until he's safe. On the other hand, you, Farris, seem to be well off. I expected a mess out of you, honestly. A spoiled Ravokian making his home in Sunberth? I get that you didn't want to stay in Ravok... but... really?"

Farris pursed his lips. There was perhaps fallacy in his coming to Sunberth. But, he didn't regret it in the slightest. This summer more than most steeled the young man. It created a need to maintain lies and manipulate others into believing them to be true. To most, Farris was a bright, but normal young man. He'd kept to himself for so long, but he felt that his chains were loosening. His understanding had grown and he'd even begun to indulge in the practice of magic again. In truth, Sunberth gave Farris a sense of independence that he'd never known and he was flourishing in it.

"I don't regret going there. It wasn't... ideal at first. But I've done what lord Sagallius would want me to be doing. I've begun making allies within the city and I'm protecting myself with their association. I don't pretend to think this is my home. And it won't be forever. But, for now, it's sufficient."

It was the first time that Farris admitted aloud of his contentment. In truth, he didn't hate Sunberth, hostile and filthy as it was. The place provided a freedom of action and reinforced the principles of secrecy and discretion to him. He felt more and more at one with his saviour Sagallius in the city, and at times prayed to the God for guidance in his actions. He even saw the guiding hand of the God's will in his everyday life, pushing him in the right direction.

"If that's what you believe, I won't contradict you. I can't say what Sagallius wills of you, but perhaps you are right. Hold fast, it seems like Alastor is on his way back..."

It was several chimes of silence between the pair as Farris observed the open gateway. Alastor nearly flew out of the portal in his replicant form, mimicking the shape of Asmid as a massive, stone being emerged from the gateway. When Xypher flew out of the portal, Farris wasn't sure what to expect. The Kirt was tall and somewhat cylindrical in shape. He towered over Farris, Asmid and Alastor, his head scraping against the ceiling. The Summoner's circle held him in place, the Familiar bellowing out in pain as its massive size was forcefully restrained in an awkward position. Quickly, Asmid and Alastor worked in unison to loosen such restraints, widening the space Xypher was allowed to dwell as Farris studied the being. Xypher's features were hard, his teeth bared and large, bead-like eyes glaring at the environment. He turned his head to assess his environment until it fell upon the visage of Farris. Snort-like laughter spilled from the Kirt's scaled maw, the Reimancer's gaze narrowing in turn. Was that relief? Or was it disdain? A mixture of the two? Slowly Xypher shrank to a smaller form, providing himself a measure of comfort. In that comfort, he too took to studying Farris more intently. Where Farris preferred silence, however, the Kirt was very open with his assessment.

"What's this? I thought an older wizard was going to be my salvation. This man is little more than a whelp, barely standing on his own legs as a man."

Farris' jaw clenched, his fingers balled into fists as he listened to the expression. the Reimancer was indignant, and both Asmid and Alastor looked pointedly at the new inclusion to the conversation. Their looks turned to shooting glares as if rebuking the Familiar for his conduct. After all, it was Farris that held the power in the moment.

"You there. Xypher, was it? You need to flee from your home and yet call your salvation a boy? What impeccable logic that you choose not to bend at the knee and seek to placate me. Clearly, you're both desperate and a fool," he began, a smirk cast upon his features. It became more and more clear as the Reimancer worked at the fence... he enjoyed being in a position of power over another. It served his purposes well to have an inherent advantage in an encounter.

WC: 1153

Last edited by Farris on July 24th, 2018, 11:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
Farris
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Son of Aster

Postby Farris on July 24th, 2018, 9:42 am

Asmid and Alastor were left as spectators to the conversation between Familiar and potential Master. While the pair conversed, however, Alastor was quite busy scribbling on what looked to be a rather long scroll. Rather than pay attention to the other Kirt, however, he instead let his undivided attention settle upon Xypher. The Kirt was indignant with Farris' observations, his gaze narrowed and granite eyes wide with no small measure of rage. The Familiar was also, however, held back from approaching. The Reimancer studied the Kirt intently, watching as its body transformed from a massive, cherub-like shape to a sleeker animalistic design. The Kirt took to the form of a smooth lizard, its marble scales dark and shining in the dim light of the lantern. The Kirt looked straight at Farris, unblinking and without fear as Farris continued to speak.

"Tell me what benefit you might serve to me, Xypher and perhaps I'll consider granting you asylum on Mizahar."

The Familiar shifted anew. It took to the size of a child, humanoid fingers struggling against the invisible constraints of the circle. Its fingers crashed into the barrier that separated them before a wide smile set upon its lips. Xypher rocked back in forth in place, its hands lowering top move behind its back as it considered its next words carefully.

"You're right, you know. I did call you a boy. I perhaps misjudged you, Farris. I think, however, you crave a mind to drive you. You have no one in your home who can challenge you like I can. Who can match your wit and consider the multitude of thoughts that cast across the mind? You drift because they cannot hold your attention and you'd much rather talk to yourself. Speak to me. Share your thoughts and I will offer insight. Trust in me and I'll carry your lies. I will carry your fears and I will teach you, in time, to overcome them one and all. Shelter me, Farris, and you'll find the foil that no mortal could ever be to you."

Farris didn't pretend to know how the Kirt could make such judgments about him. He mused that perhaps the Kirt had their own conversation on Fyrden. It'd make the most sense out of many possibilities, given that the other Kirt very much wished for this one to be provided asylum. Farris caught a smirk cast upon his own features. The Kirt knew how to speak and well at that. His words sounded like a harsher expression of his own. The two were perhaps more similar than he'd anticipated and was rather intrigued to learn more. Farris was not a man that was quick to judge. He understood that sentient beings had facets to them that made them difficult to understand. He could tell that Xypher was proud of his own intelligence, just as Farris was. This sort of being deserved to live. Just like Farris did.

"You're right. There are some in my life that can pretend to understand what I am and who I'll become. There's a darkness within me that I've shared with only one in passing. I steel myself to the world that I know will never accept me for what I am. You will share my secrets and you'll share my fate. Join me. Help me. Learn with me and we'll forge a path forward and leave the scars of past behind."

As if prompted, Alastor reached forth. His fingertips shifted, adapted a sharpness to them. Those same fingertips pushed into the beds of Farris' fingernails. Blood coagulated at the surface of each cut and the Reimancer's hand was taken. Alastor guided Farris' hand while Asmid took hold of Xypher's in turn. The both of them signed the contract in their essence and the paper seemed to shimmer with the contract forged between them. The Summoner's Circle fell away just before the signing, and as blood poured upon the sheet of paper it withered into non-existence. The bond was complete. Mind and soul were shared as one and the Reimancer felt his pulse tick with the granite Familiar's cold unbeating flesh. The Familiar seemed to be uneasy, however. When the bond formed, immediately the Kirt shrank. Djed seemed to suffuse from its body as it lost its ability to maintain the integrity of its natural form. The Kirt shrank and shrank until its serpentine form was no larger than Farris' forearm. It crawled upon the ground, beating on the surface with its front legs before it shouted into the Reimancer's mind.

What the petch has... Alastor didn't tell me I'd lose my size! That deceitful spawn of a Fyrdenese whore... The Reimancer did not hold in his laughter as he shrugged his shoulders. He decided to test the bond they had, to whisper into Xypher's mind just as the Kirt did his.

No matter. You're safe now and you can recover your power in time. The Reimancer reassured his Familiar, the lizard not bothering to answer him.

"Get into your sealed form, Xypher," they heard behind them. Apparently, Asmid was still here. Farris didn't even notice.

"Sealed form?" Farris asked, but it was clear that the Familiar knew what he referred to. He took the shape of a large, obsidian medallion, a small hole present near the surface that was clearly meant for a thread or thin rope.

Get me off the ground, you fool, Farris heard in his mind. Surprised, but nonetheless curious, he moved to retrieve the Kirt. The medallion was no more than four inches in diameter and yet it weighed at least a pound. He'd be able to carry it in his pocket, but certainly not wear it.

Alastor looked to Farris while remaining in Asmid's shape. A smile carved upon the Kirt's features as he said, "He'll come around. You're an intelligent human, Farris. I take it you're better learning independently than being informed. So I took the liberty of getting you a tool to help learn what to do. Each form that Xypher will be able to take is in there, as well as information about Kirts, the other Fyrdenese and the coordinates to the world. Take care of it, alright?" he'd say before he looked over to Aster. Farris pocketed the tome he was given with a nod, an elation present in his expression. It seemed as though the night was gone, light spilling into cracks in their stone shelter.

"Let's get you home, kid," Asmid told Farris as they exited the shelter and headed back to the city of Sunberth.

WC: 1095

Farris
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Son of Aster

Postby Kynier on August 12th, 2018, 3:12 am

Grades!

Skill Rewards
  • Auristics +2
  • Familiarity +1
  • Interrogation +3
  • Observation +5
  • Rhetoric +1
  • Socialization +1

Lores Learned
  • Asmid: Not actually dead
  • Asmid: A practical man
  • Fyrden: A more hostile world
  • Kirts: One of six Familiar species of Fyrden
  • Kirts: Heal by eating minerals
  • Familiary: Familiar and Master are bonded for life
  • Familiary: Telepathic in nature
  • Familiary: Connection grows as you learn more about each other
  • Familiary: Gains access to Farris’ knowledge and magick in time
  • Familiary: Provides and ally and protection from harm
  • Familiary: Has a sealed form
  • Self: Spitting image of his father
  • Self: Doesn’t hate Sunberth
  • Self: Enjoys a position of power
  • Xypher: Targeted by Pascids on Fyrden
  • Xypher: Intelligent and well spoken

Rewards
  • Book on Familiary

Penalties
  • Injuries- For 8 days Farris will have a concussion. Symptoms will include sensitivity to light and trouble with depth perception.

If you have an questions or concerns about your grade please feel free to PM me.
Kynier
Player

Words: 1156083
Joined roleplay: May 13th, 2018, 3:14 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2018 Top NaNo Word Count (1)