Completed Nocturnal Creatures and their Fires

Recovering from a serious would leaves Kynier only able to perform magic, and talk.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Nocturnal Creatures and their Fires

Postby Kynier on August 5th, 2018, 4:16 am

Timestamp: 68th of Summer 518

As he climbed out of bed Kynier groaned loudly. It was a groan of exhaust as well as pain. The wound in his side was healing well and quickly. But it had been severe and deep. During the night the white clothed bandage had been stained from the healing fluids his body protruded during his sleep. Ebon had instructed him on what to do to help it heal more quickly. After three days it was more than three fourths of the way through its recovery. Kynier looked over at the rest of the bed. Kelski had already gotten up for the day and was probably downstairs in her workshop. She had several orders to attend to, and probably needed the distraction.

Kynier stood up from the bed and walked over to his large chest. The cold iron short sword that had been his longest known companion rested on top. Tilting over, rather than bending to agitate his side, Kynier took hold of the weapon. The words he spoke were long drawn and twisted his tongue in unusual ways in order to speak them. Tukant was an interesting language, but difficult to really get an understanding of. Kynier only knew a few phrases and hoped that Aer’wyn would be willing to teach him more. Standing there, in the master suite, he used one of the phrases he knew to activate the magic of his blade. “I’ll Die Tomorrow.”

The blue tinted metal radiated a pure white light. The magic that had alluded his attention for nearly fourteen years poured out and through his body. His will directed that energy to the stab wound in his side. Once it was there he felt a bitter cold sensation at the edges of the healing tissue. So cold that it burned and Kynier winced despite the fact that he knew it was coming. Magic accelerated the body’s natural healing process and bridged the severed fragments of tissue. After several chimes the djed from the weapon subsided as the healing power for the day had been spent.

Setting the blade back down, Kynier worked on unwrapping the bandage from his torso. It had soaked through and smelled rank. When the last of it had been removed Kynier examined his side. It had nearly filled back out to the surface with fresh tissue. The urge to touch it as part of his examination was one he forced himself to not indulge. Until his body produced more fluids to protect the fresh tissue he was prone to infection. Kynier unlocked the chest and took out a vial of Belltor. It was nearly empty and the last one that he had. He uncorked the vail and laid back down on the bed, wound side up. Kynier dripped a few drops onto the fresh tissue and hissed loudly. Belltor burned something fierce. But it would help prevent infection as well as reduce the scaring. He put the Belltor away and took out more bandage wraps to cover the wound. Between him and Kelski, they were running out of medical supplies. His healing sword and Ebon’s gnosis could only do so much. Perhaps tomorrow he would go to the market and purchase some more.

Wrapping cloth tightly around his own torso was challenging. The way he had to pass off the cloth from one hand to the next in while trying to pull it taught. After four layers he tied it off then got dressed. Today he would not check with Doler for any work. The crazed wizard would just have to manage without him for now. Kynier roamed into the common area and started cooking himself some breakfast. He took a cooking pot, a fork, a plate, and a spatula then pocketed three eggs that the chickens had laid. All of these he took outside to the fire pit. Setting it all down on the couch, Kynier carefully picked up a few logs to set in the fire pit. The summer morning was still a little cool, and the gentle endless roar of the ocean was soothing.

While life at the Midnight Gem seemed to have taken a distraught turn, Kynier still would not trade it for anything else.

Once the wood had been set Kynier took a step back and knelt down on one knee. Closing his eyes he listened to the waves crash on the distant shore and the gulls cry out in the air. Using it to aid his meditation he was able to reach into his soul for the pool of djed. Will reached into the collection of power and took out a trace of it to bring to his hand. Holding it out with the palm facing the fire pit, gaseous res sprung forth from his skin. It hovered in the air for a moment as Kynier imagined it becoming engulfed in flames. Ignite. It erupted in a blaze of red and orange. Using the trace amount of res left unburning yet still malleable at the core of the fireball, Kynier guided it across the surface of the wooden pile.

After that, Kynier took a seat on the couch and set the cooking pot between his legs. With an egg in hand he tapped the shell hard against the rim of the pot. When a sizable crack in the shells surface had formed, Kynier set a thumb on either side and pried it open for the yolk to fall into the pot. He discarded the shell into the magic flames to be consumed before repeating the process with the other two eggs. Once all three were broken and in the pot he stared inside. There were small fragments of shells in the yolk still. Fishing them out with a finger and thumb were more difficult that he expected. Pinching them together would sometimes drive the shell piece out of his grasp. But once they were all removed, Kynier stationed the pot over the fire to rest on the wire rack that assisted in keeping once from burning their hands on the fire pit.

Still feeling tired he wanted to sit down and rest more. But instead he grabbed the spatula and stood next to the fire and stirred the eggs around.

Word Count: 1,037

Boxcode credit goes to Gossamer!
Last edited by Kynier on August 6th, 2018, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kynier
Player

Words: 1156083
Joined roleplay: May 13th, 2018, 3:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2018 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Kynier on August 5th, 2018, 4:17 am

The fire solidified the yolks and the spatula broke them down into smaller clumps. Had the skill he probably could’ve added something to the eggs, a spice maybe, to give it a mouthwatering aroma. As it was, he was hungry enough to still enjoy the smell of the plain eggs. The sizzling sound from inside the pot gradually increased his appetite. After only a few chimes they no longer seemed wet and runny. Kynier retrieved the plate from the couch and scooped his breakfast onto it. He had let it sit too long, or allowed the fire to get too hot. The bottom of the eggs had gotten burned and turned a black color. He shrugged and proceeded to break them down to smaller pieces with his fork.

Kynier took a seat on the couch and stared out over the land and to the ocean as he ate. Though they were plain, the eggs were enjoyable to eat. That was until they crunched between his teeth as he bit down on the blackened surfaces. Kynier endured the less than appealing taste in his mouth and consumed all the eggs. The severe wound left him feeling tired most of the time and eating more food was the only real thing that seemed to help. Sleeping was supposed to be helpful as well, but he still felt tired afterwards. This prevented him from performing most of the physical activities he regularly took part in. So he had chosen to utilize the time for his arcane development.

After another ten chimes of quietly listening to the water, and bathing in the fire’s warmth, Kynier sat up. Closing his eyes he also brought his hands together with the fingertips pressed against each other. With a few deep meditative breaths he felt completely relaxed. Food in his belly, fresh air in his lungs, the warmth of fire on his skin, and the sound of water in the distance all collectively made it difficult for him to not fall asleep there on the couch. But Kynier was able to resist that temptation by reaching inward with his will. Deep, past the astral body, beyond the persona, and to the soulcore, where djed lay in abundance. Kynier willed a fraction of it to climb through all the layers of his being, and to the surface of his body, to create more res in his hands.

As before, a gaseous res protruded from his flesh to hover between his hands. Breaking the connection of his fingertips, he divided the res in half with his hands before separating them. Leaning forward in his seat, Kynier opened his eyes and held out the res in his right hand. In his mind he imagined the fire coming from the wood and to the res. Then he put his intent behind thought. Come. He did not place a large portion of his will in his intent, but a piece of it. So that the fire would slowly syphon off to his hand rather than collect into a massive mound that he would not be able to control. And it had worked. Fire created a small stream and formed a bridge between the pit and his right hand.

When a decent section the fire had been brought to his hand, Kynier cut off the mental intent. Focusing on the fire burning above his palm his will power urged it to burn hotter. The fire changed color from a reddish orange to adopt a blue hue. The heat of it was intense as well as the light it radiated. Kynier felt the res above his right hand burn out quickly. When it did there was a gentle puff and the fire was gone with no more fuel to burn.

Word Count: 625
Total Count: 1,662

Kynier
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kynier on August 5th, 2018, 4:18 am

The palm of his hand was covered in sweat which he wiped off on his pants. Res still floated around in a gaseous state above his left hand. Holding it out before him Kynier set his eyes on the remaining fire in the fire pit. Come. It did not move at first. Not until he placed the intent behind the image in his mind’s eye of fire coming to his hand and repeating his command, did the fire indeed feel the attraction to the res in his hand. Red and orange flames left the wooden logs half burned with black and ash gray surfaces. The res ignited at the fires embarace.

It was then that Kynier heard the door open behind him. While he did not turn to see who it was he listened to the footsteps. Each resident had their own distinguishable gait that Kynier had learned to identify. It wasn’t Aer’wyn’s heavy foot falls from his giant frame. Nor was it Ren’s gentle stride that barely made a sound. It wasn’t the ball to heel locomotion of Kelksi. Ebon. The young male kelvic’s feet struck heel first with a soft embrace of the toes to the ground. “Morning Kynier,” he said. “Feeling better today?”

Kynier did not respond but chose to focus on the fire under his control. It was larger than the previous one and required a little more finesse to avoid being burned. Mentally he manipulated the res into an excited state in order to make the fire burn hotter like managed before. While the core of the flame changed from yellow to white, the large red tongues of the fire did not alter. In a few ticks it burned through the rest of the res he had produced and went out. Ebon had stood off to the side and watched the display. Kynier leaned back against the backrest with a sigh. “Morning Ebon. I still feel really tired.”

“That’s to be expected. The wound was already becoming septic by the time you had gotten back. Most people that I see with a stab wound that deep tend to die shortly afterwards. The fact that you’re still alive is a blessing of the gods.”

A finger of his was directed at the kelvic very pointedly, “Rak’keli to be specific Ebon.” Kynier let his hand drop back to the couch. “The healing power of my short sword is fairly potent, but it does not come close to matching your gnosis. It was able to keep me from bleeding out.” Kynier set his eyes on the night lion. “I… I never did thank you for that.”

Ebon shrugged, “There’s no real need too. The gnosis itself compels me to the aid of others. When a wound is as bad as yours was, there’s no real way for me to ignore the compulsion. Well… it is possible, but only with extreme effort.” It had been nearly a full Leth cycle since Kynier moved into the Midnight Gem, and met Ebon. They never really conversed. Not in private like they were now. So Kynier could not tell if the night lion had just made an attempt at a joke or not. The young kelvic was smiling at him, so maybe he did. “Do you ever intend to explain how you got stabbed?” The kelvic asked with an innocent tone.

“You know why,” Kynier retorted.

“Why was not what I was asking about. I was asking about the how.” Kynier studied Ebon. The other male served as a clerk for Kelski and healed the injuries of those that lived here. Did his compulsion run deeper than that? Did the night lion have a need to try and heal the mental state of others?

“I finally had some useful information that could have lead me to her. A grunt of the Sun Birth heard about how I was asking around for an ‘exotic woman’ that sounded very familiar to him.” Kynier turned his gaze to the water as he told the story. “He would tell me more if I gave him money. After three days, I was willing to give him every coin I had on me. All I got was the man’s name. Darvin. The bastard would not say any more than that. Not where the man was, where he tended to go, or anything. The grunt then boasted what he would physically do to Kelski had he been Darvin.”

Rage was beginning to brim up inside. “I drew my weapon on the man. But I was sleep deprived, hungry, and in a reckless mental state as well. He was a tried soldier of the Sun Birth. While I kept safe from his sword, his dagger found me. In his over confidence he thought he had bested me. I used that to strike him with my own dagger. Once was not enough to vent my anger and despair. Each time I stabbed him I demanded he tell me where she was.” Kynier looked at his hand and could see, feel, and smell the blood that had been washed away three days past. “His dying breath did not stop me Ebon. I kept impaling his corpse and demanded answers.”

Word Count: 867
Total Count: 2,529

Kynier
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kynier on August 5th, 2018, 9:57 pm

There was a long pause of silence as the night lion just stared at him. Ebon wasn’t using a predatory gaze, more like one used when reading an interesting book. Kynier didn’t know what else there was to say. Did the night lion expect there to be more to the story? There was nothing more worth mentioning. Yet the silence continued to drag on. His own thoughts dwelled on the events he spoke of. Anger welled at his core and he felt the need to vent it. But there were no words that he could share with the night lion that would help. It also made Kynier feel restless. He kept readjusting his position on the couch despite the fact that he was already comfortable.

So he sat on the edge of the cushion and closed his eyes. Memories and thoughts relating to their conversation were difficult to push aside. Yet one by one he did, until his mind was clear though still filled with the emotion. When Kynier reached to his soulcore for djed he felt it stirring before his will could grasp it. It was reacting to his temper which was volatile. Mentally he took a portion of the djed and brought it forth to his hands. Res took form in a purple haze as it seeped from his fingertips. The coloration was unusual. Perhaps it was due to his temperament. Kynier had almost never worked Reimancy in anger as he did now.

Ignite. The purple haze burst into red and orange flames which radiated less heat. He was curious about the flame coloration. Mentally he worked his will to make the fire burn hotter. To do so he compressed the remaining res to be denser. The fire shrunk in size repectively, but the flames themselves did not change in color. Though he had just performed the action the details of how it happened were escaping his mind. His expression must have been one of annoyance. The night lion spoke again for the first time in several chimes.

“Do you always create the fire when you’re angry?” he asked with an innocent enough tone. Kynier allowed the last of the res to be burned for the flame to go out.

He looked over at the other male, “No. But it does have a calming effect.”

“Why is it that you’re so angry?” Again, the night lion’s tone sounded rather innocent, but it was also direct. Kynier gave him a glare of disbelief. Why? WHY?

“How is it,” Kynier started with an aggressively accusatory tone, “that you’re not angry? She was gone! And when she came back she…” Kynier broke himself off his own stream of thought. That memory was another that he did not want to relieve at this time. And not with Ebon. Yet those seemed to be his only options in this conversation. To get incredibly angry, or incredibly sad. The night lion only shrugged.

“I am angry, Kynier. I want to go out and sink my teeth in flesh and rend my victim. But the one responsible is dead. By Kelski’s hand at that. So what point would my anger have?” It was the way the night lion said the question that was mildly annoying. It was clear that he was not really asking what the point of his anger was, but what the point of Kynier’s was. Kynier debated if it was worth acknowledging. They shared a home but didn’t know each other. Kynier most likely would not give the male much notice if he didn’t live here with him.

Kynier scoffed. “I thought that you would understand better than anyone, Ebon.” The night lion tilted his head in curiosity. After a few ticks Kynier’s point clearly was not getting through to him. “The anger in losing someone. Someone truly special to you.” Kynier was referring to Ebon’s bondmate. The woman had been murdered in front of Ebon’s eyes. The exact details Kynier had never heard. Only that shortly afterwards both Kelski and Aer’wyn came to the night lion’s rescue.

Ebon shook his head at him, sadness welling up in his eyes. “That was different, Kynier. She and I were bonded.” The night lion’s melancholy came on quickly. Though the kelvic tried to ignore it by accessing a different emotion, which happened to be the one he just inquired about. “So yes, I do understand!” The night lion’s voice had a deep grumble to it. “Better than you! Kelski is no less special to me than she is to you!” Kynier saw the skin around Ebon’s eyes ripple once. The male was resisting the urge to shift. If he did, would he attack Kynier? Maul his throat and snap his neck?

The mage wasn’t intimidated by the subconscious display, and raised his voice in response to the kelvic’s claim. “The gods have placed us together! And she is to be…”

“Then why haven’t you?!” Ebon roared. There was a trace of an actual roar to his words. Another silence filled the void between them. Both the mage and the kelvic were at the edge of their seats, glaring at each other. Kynier’s lost its vitality and fell to his feet. That did not stop the kelvic. “IF you had been bonded, you would’ve known where she was! The bond would’ve guided you straight to her!” The night lion’s teeth came in the form of words. With then he chewed through Kynier’s chest and straight to his heart. Kynier looked back up at the kelvic with a helplessness in his eyes. He wanted to accuse the night lion of being a lair. But Kynier did not know what it truly meant to be bonded. Ebon did.

The night lion stood up abruptly and looked down at the mage. “What happened has happened,” he said with a voice that made it clear that he was struggling to not yell some more. “Whether you had been bonded with Kelski at the time wouldn’t have stopped it. But if you had been… she may have suffered less. I blame you for that Kynier. I’m trying not to be angry with you for it. But I blame you. The only thing that had stopped it from occurring is whatever you claim to be your reasoning.”

The night lion went back inside with Kynier’s heart in his maw. It had been rend asunder leaving a hole in place where it should’ve been. Kynier’s breath made his chest swell and deflate rapidly as he fought the desire to weep again. The palms of his hands collided against his brow as he took a deep gasp of air as he continued to fight the tears resting at the corners of his eyes.

Word Count: 1,120

Kynier
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kynier on August 5th, 2018, 10:55 pm

As though possessing one great failure was not enough, the night lion pointed out a second to him. Kynier wished to deny what it was that Ebon had just told him. To believe that it was a lie said in anger only to make Kynier feel worse about himself. But there was no justification in it being a lie. There was no one else to ask that any of them knew of to test the truth of the night lion’s words. So they had to be accepted as truth. Kynier did not want to remind himself that Ebon was kelvic. And kelvics did not play in the games of deceptions the way humans did.

Kynier hated having that understanding at this moment. Living with three kelvics had been very enlightening into how they behaved, regardless of their animalistic personas. So Kynier knew that the night lion spoke true. That if he had not been so… so… himself… he would have had some form of magic or power to lead him directly to her. Instead, she had been egregiously hurt and he had nearly driven himself to death with his feeble efforts.

The tears were very near to emerging. It sickened Kynier. He had been weeping so much and wanted no more of it. Standing rapidly he began to pace around the deck trying to banish the sadness. It wasn’t working, so he did as the night lion had done. He sought a different emotion to dwell on. Kynier did not bother to calm his mind beforehand. His will dug down to his soulcore and straight to the djed. It was rampant and wild at the base of his soul. Pulling it forth was a struggle of its own. As though it had become a weed that must be expelled but had deep roots. When at last it was ripped away from the soulcore the djed came to both hands to form res. It came forth in a thicker consistency but not yet a solid matter.

Kynier raised his hands above his head. Ignite! The res came together to form a single entity as it roared to life with fire. Flame tongues of white with red at its soul burned for a half tick before Kynier hurled the fireball down at the fire pit. The change in air pressure knocked over the metal wire rack and the cooking pot clanged loudly on the ground. White flames splashed over the half burnt wood and danced high in the air. Kynier was breathing heavily and gasped suddenly in pain. His wound flared as quickly as the fire had with debilitating pain. Kynier fell to his knees and clutched at his side.

Thousands of little pricks of light filled his vision. He shuffled backwards and set his back against the couch. Flames that now reached above his head danced in the soft breeze that blew around the Midnight Gem. After a few chimes the fire had lost its passion and reduced itself to that of a small campfire. Kynier’s vision returned to normal, and the pain was gradually subsiding. The wound had felt as though a hot poker had been rammed into it. The after burn lingered and movement caused it to flare up again.

So for nearly a bell Kynier just sat there staring at the white flames. Anger, wrath, or maybe just vicious intent had caused the mage’s fire to burn hotter and a different color. But the results of the reimancy did not last the whole bell. They died long before that. When they did Kynier just stared past the fire pit to the ocean. Fatigue settled upon him again and sleep beckoned to him. Kynier ignored it, knowing that he would not feel better or stronger afterwards. When the bell ended he forced himself to his feet. Kynier walked around the pit and tilted his body over to raise the metal wire rack back up to rest over the pit.

After that he scooped up the cooking pot, placing his plate and fork inside of it. He took it to the water pump and filled it more than halfway with cool well water. From there he gimped around his magically agitated wound back to the common area. There Kynier took out a rag and scrubbed off the egg remnants from the dishes. What was he supposed to do now that he knew that? Kelski had become distant and detached with her words. While he so desperately wanted to understand how she felt, he felt he needed to give her space more. So he had been struggling with how much distance to provide. He recalled her words to him that night she returned. The way she said it, and with the look in her eyes as she did, bothered him greatly.

When the cooking pot, plate, and fork were clean he returned them to their places. Exhaustion weighed heavily on his shoulders. So much so that he decided to go back into the master suite to lie down. Stepping inside and closing the door, he turned to enter the bed but stopped. The used bandages from earlier were still laying on the floor. Kynier took a few deep breaths and held his hands out before him. Calming his mind and uttering an incantation Bourin had taught him, he called for his djed. If he could he would never reach in and snare a portion as violently as he had a bell ago. As though it were alive, as well as distraught, his djed was reluctant to come. Kynier patiently reached for it and beckoned with his will. After a time a small piece did come. He took it and warped the energy to rip through reality’s fabric.

Above the bandages were a series of ripples in the air. With an audible snap, space ripped apart by about seven inches to create a gateway to the void. Kynier mentally worked on the pull to attract the soiled bandages into the beyond. They first shifted slightly before slowly hovering off the ground. A feeling of euphoria swept through his mind, causing the bandages to drop to the floor again at his lack of concentration. Kynier put more will into it and the pull increased. The bandages drifted section by section through the portal before all of it was completely gone.

Releasing the djed so that it may sputter out on its own, Kynier moved over to the bed and fell upon the covers, still fully dressed. Climbing his way up to the pillow gave him a sense of vertigo as he strained his neck up towards it. At last crashing down he lay there, nearly able to sleep. Kynier was never able to sleep on his stomach, and his wound was unappreciative of the pressure it was feeling. With a greater degree of effort, Kynier rolled himself onto his back and closed his eyes. By the end of a sigh, he was asleep again.

Word Count: 1,161

Kynier
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kynier on September 2nd, 2018, 2:03 am

Grades!

Skill Rewards
  • Cooking +2
  • Medicine +1
  • Meditation +1
  • Reimancy +5
  • Socialization +2

Lores Learned
  • Cooking: How to scramble eggs
  • Ebon: Is angry about Darvin Kidnapping Kelski
  • Ebon: Said the bond would’ve led Kynier to Kelski during her kidnapping
  • Ebon: Blames Kynier for Kelski’s suffering during Darvin’s kidnapping
  • Ebon: Is trying to not be angry with Kynier
  • Reimancy: Taking djed quickly and forming res while agitated increases overgiving intensity
Kynier
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes