Thanksgiving Thoughts

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

IC News travels slowly in Mizahar. Fortunately there is a constant stream of news from around campfires, from caravan to caravan and from merchants to merchants. Within this forum lies the best of the best of this talk. Also, within this forum, OOC news from the staff and players can be found. This forum requires all posts to be 'approved' by a Founder before they are displayed. So if you post within, be patient. Your post did display - it simply will not show to everyone until approved as actual 'news'. Please keep all Introductions, Status Updates, and various other discussions in their appropriate forums and leave this area for game news!

Thanksgiving Thoughts

Postby Gossamer on November 22nd, 2018, 3:53 pm

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

This year I have a lot to be thankful for. I can't believe we are quickly approaching ten years for Mizahar being up and running.

I've been absent for most of this month and a lot of the last because I've been working insane hours in my real life getting holiday items into stores for eager shoppers fueling the cogs of the retail engines our world drives on. While trying to juggle handling the spam, keeping the HD flowing, and greeting new players... writing has really suffered. I'm sorry for that, but I will be back soon. I've never not finished a NaNo but things look bleak for that this year. Its just not possible working the long shifts I've been working for the six days a week I've been putting in.

Having had to take time away from Mizahar makes me reflective of all that Mizahar does for me. First and foremost its an outlet for things that lurk in my brain, a release of tension, and a way to relax. It provides a social life for those times I can't have one irl (like this time of year). Frankly, the Miz family is ever changing, but the truth is its always there for me.

The stories are amazing. I constantly marvel at stuff I read here, which in truth is often more incredible than things I have read in books.

I know it does a lot for other people as well. Now might be a really good time to post up a few thoughts on why you are here and what writing on Miz does for you. It will encourage others, inspire new folks, and maybe remind you of why you grind out words and set goals and feel so fulfilled.

Goss

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Thanksgiving Thoughts

Postby Kynier on November 22nd, 2018, 5:57 pm

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

There is always a lot to be thankful for, even though most of the time it is difficult to realize every single thing. The most frequent thing I hear that people are thankful for is how they're surrounded by supportive people. This is something that I am also thankful for. Several years ago, I had moved to another state to follow my girlfriend at the time, to a state that I had no connections to. And for three years I lived on my own in a small studio appartment, with only my girlfriend and her family as an outlet for a social life.

It was hard, even though there were several things I was able to distract myself with to try and disguise the lonliness of it. Netflix binging, video games, and martial arts to name a few. Money was tight as I was supporting myself completely, on my own, without assistance, on an income ill-suited to do so. It has been over six years since I've been able to celebrate any holidays with any of my immediate family. And though my now Fiancee's family always takes me in for the holidays, it's not the same because there just isn't the same connection.

Since finding the Mizahar community, it is easy to say that my general mood has improved. I'm thankful that there are several great writers that are able to establish a community that supports each other however they can. Whether its cute photos of pets, bad jokes, amazing hand-drawn art, or the occasional competition to see who's day is actually worse. The people here (assuming you all are people), have helped me to appreciate the effort that someone makes when trying to establish a connection. Because that's what everyone loves about Thanksgiving the most... after the over abundance of food that is. Having connections with other people that we can appreciate.

I hope that everyone has a wonderful holiday. And to the community members that live in countries that don't celebrate it, just know that we're just as thankful for you too!
Kynier
Player

Words: 1156083
Joined roleplay: May 13th, 2018, 3:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2018 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Thanksgiving Thoughts

Postby Solstice on November 22nd, 2018, 6:00 pm

I joined Mizahar because my social life both online and offline was stagnating, and because I was lonely, writing on my own with no one to really talk to about all the stories I had bubbling in my head. Although I had roleplayed in the past and enjoyed it very much, it had been a long time since I had done it, and I was beginning to realize that in all the time that I roleplayed I had never really felt fully challenged by my writing partners. I think it's important to write with people who are better than you, so you can learn from them and improve, and as wonderful as my writing partners were I just didn't have that. My family isn't very good to me, and I really needed an outlet.

Miz has fully delivered on all counts. I have people I can talk to just about any time of the day, I have amazing writing partners who delight and challenge me on the daily. Plus being an ST for Miz really helps me to scratch that 'need to help people' itch that I've had most of my life. It's been a really wonderful experience for me, and I am just utterly delighted to be here. I'm so grateful to everyone here! Y'all are amazing!
Solstice
The Sky Awaits

Words: 184384
Joined roleplay: June 3rd, 2018, 3:05 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Thanksgiving Thoughts

Postby Madeira Dusk on November 23rd, 2018, 6:31 pm

I’m not american but I’ve always thought this holiday was really cool. Excuse me for being a day late but let me muscle in on your festive cheer. :D

I don’t know a lot of people here. I’m never on the group chat, I don’t know your names or what goes on in your daily life. But I know all of your stories. I work two very, very social jobs and have a great active friend group, so when I’m home on my computer tapping away on Miz, that is my quiet space. Miz for me is some great, recharging and cathartic ‘me’ time. I check in on Anja Nightwatcher and Lani Stranger and Savis Maren and a dozen others besides because following these characters and their stories is more entertaining and unexpected than some of my favourite authors. I love that I can weave my own stories into some of yours and get stupidly excited when I see that red check mark at the end of the day. I love that there is a community of writers where writing is the main goal. Where someone like me who is so burnt out and wants to be alone can still enjoy all these collaborative efforts and wonderful new writing styles by other people who just get it.

If you ask me your age or which country you’re from chances are I’ll shrug, say mid-twenties and american and scuttle away to my hermit cave. But ask me what your character was doing three months ago and I’d probably be able to give you a nice little recap of their adventures. So forgive me for my reclusive ways but know that I love and am very thankful for your amazing stories and this creative outlet you’ve given me to make my own!
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)