Solo [Various] Binders and Knives

Martini follws advice from Tain and seeks out a Kukri

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

[Various] Binders and Knives

Postby Martini Elwood on January 19th, 2019, 7:00 am

5th, Winter, 518AV
...Continued from Here.

Tain had done well to instruct Martini as where to go to get to the paper palace. He'd told her to take out her map and had had mapped out a course for her in clear directions. That said, she had walked passed the building twice with her nose stuffed into the map - but she got there just fine! It was well hidden - though she could see a multitude of uses for the shop. She pushed open the door and was greeted with open but cramped space.

Perhaps it was the two big windows that gave it an airy feel? There was a mess of lather and paper drying together on a desk but other then that it seemed somewhat empty until a voice caught her attention. Turning left in the small space, she noticed an older gentle man humming in a foreign dialect. She wondered if he was foreign before he swung around as the door closed behind her. "Oh, I didn't mean to interrupt. You have a lovely voice. What language was that?"

The older gentleman flushed but cleared his throat - he posed a question instead of answering hers though. "No harm done miss. Is there something I can help you with?"His smile seemed to crinkle his face, giving it a more genuine appearance as he spoke so softly it was hard to hear. Perhaps he didn't speak often. Martini didn't bring up the change of subject - she didn't think much of it.

"I was trying to find a portfolio for my drawings? Tain said I could find some good quality binders here." The man hummed thoughtfully as if debating something. He seemed to go off into his own little world before moving around the cramped space and gathering things. There were a few leather bound notebooks - what she thought were notebooks anyway, huddled into his arms.

"I see. I suppose these might be a good place to start," He gestured for her to come closer as he spread them along the table. Before her were three different binders. "We have the basic portfolio with a single pocket. The other two are custom made, but they're good examples of multiple pockets and a compartment for writing tools. The basic binder is seven kina and can hold quite a bit."

Martini picked p the first binder and opened the strap. The binder was a decent size, and with only one opening she could stick loose sheets in there and then redo the strap and have it completely sealed. She hummed as she looked at the other options. "Mm, I think I'll go with the basic portfolio. Would you happen to have ink as well?"

"A wonderful choice, my dear. I certainly do, are you looking for vials or sticks?" He questioned. Martini asked for sticks and he cam back with a pack of ten and placed them in her hands. "Now then, that'll be ten kina. Seven for the binder and three for the ink sticks."

"That's perfect, thank you..?"

"You can call me Keper."

"Martini. It's a pleasure to meet you Mister Keper." Martini smiled and murmured her name kindly as she handed the coin to the elder man. He inclined his head and Martini made mental note to come back if she ever need paper supplies. She waved and thanked him as she pushed open the door and exited the shop putting the new binder in her bag.

One more stop.

Ledger=7 ki for Binder
- 3 ki for ink sticks (ten pack)
---
-10KI tota
3/3 Threads
If you are grading a thread I participated in I'd love feedback or improvement notes on the writing itself <3
Martini Elwood
Painting away Anguish

Words: 133955
Joined roleplay: June 16th, 2017, 2:19 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Martini Elwood on January 19th, 2019, 11:21 am

She paused outside the good book to once again shrug off her pack and rummage around for her map. Once she had it she hummed as she searched for her destination. Surely there had to be some kind of weaponry stations for the needs of the people. The problem was she knew nothing by name. being new to Lhavit had t's disadvantages - she was legitimately stumped on the names of stores and their locations. Dusk rest was approaching and she'd hate to arrive late and have the shopkeepers closing or resting by the time she arrived.

Apparently there was a marketplace nearby - Azul? No, what was it..? Ah, Azure! She locked eyes with the name - she wasn't too far form it then. Martini slung the strap of ber bag on to her shoulders and kept the map out just in case. She followed the map directly - as much a she could anyway - and ended up at the Azure Market within the next bell or so. There were vendors everyhwere! People hustled about and mingled - she couldn't help but watch in awe.

There was a small jewelry display, she could smell some kind of food - Oh gods it smelled divine. Among that she pushed through crowds to find clothing, pottery, and lots of other everyday items. There was a fine liquor booth that she stood in front of after the crowd had finally ceased its pushing. Martini had never tired alcohol - it never seemed to fit for her. Though she supposed if people consumed it then there had to be something good about it.

A sign a few doors down caught her attention, the words 'Wullis' and 'weapon' drawing her gaze. Her gaze brightened - her search was over! Pushing her way closer, she managed to read the entirety of the sign - there was a heavily scratched out word, she assumed by what she could see that it was 'son'. Of course, she wasn't here to buy - research was her goal. But perhaps the owner could tell her more than she could learn on her own.

She walked through the door which was propped open and was immediately greeted with a sales counter. The shelves were lines head to toe with daggers, swords, and staffs of all kinds. The shop briefly reminded her of her training time in Riverfall. Shaking free of her thoughts, she called out to anyone who might be present. "Hello?"

"Yes, hello." An older man came from the backroom to her left, his voice startling her slightly. He donned a tight, polite smile and Martini returned it. "Can I help you?"

"I'm looking for a Kukri? Even better if you or someone else can demonstrate with one. Research purposes though, I'm not looking to buy." The man seemed to appreciate and consider her words. He hummed and trailed off silently as he walked away from her. He tilted his head with his back to her and reached to a higher shelf to grab some kind of curved blade. He held it out to her a he spoke, expression still thoughtful.

"Iron Kukri - best one I got. You said your reseaeching right?" Martini nodded and the mans lip upturned - something akin to a smile on his face. "Well then, Kukri are orginally from the Eyktol region. They're - as you can see - essentially daggers with a more intense curve. They can be double bladed - having a cutting age on both sides, but it's more common to be single edged. It can be used as a tool and a weapon, though typically weaponry is it's purpose."

Martini hummed and nodded as she took in the information. She also took the blade handle inot her hand and tested it's weight. It was small and dagger-like - a typical knife save for the somewhat extreme bend on it's tempering. It was interesting to say the least. She had questions, such as where the Eyktol region was - but she figured she should focus on the more pressing ones. He stepped behind her, starling the brunette as he reached around to guide her hands. She tensed, but relaxed as he decided to speak again.

"Relax. The stances for Kukri are the same as those of a dagger. As with every bladed weapon the Kukri is an extension of yourself. It's blade is sharp - you don't need all your force behind a swing to do damage." He instructed, fixing her grip on the weapon as he gently guided her arm into a swing. Martini nodded as he released her and tried It herself. Her grip on the handle had been made tighter - she's swung down a few times and slashed across her front to test it.

"Seems like the main function is speed and ease. It should be an extension of one's arm right?" The man nodded and Martini relaxed her stance to observe the blade more closely. She ran her finger along the spine and finally tested the tip. While a bit dulled, it was still sharp and cool against her fingers.
3/3 Threads
If you are grading a thread I participated in I'd love feedback or improvement notes on the writing itself <3
Martini Elwood
Painting away Anguish

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Martini Elwood on January 19th, 2019, 2:13 pm

It wasn't a weighty blade - it was nice and light for quick and precise strikes or slashes. Martini was curios as to how the blade was supposed to be used in combat - one would have to be aware of the curve at al ties to use the kukri's full potential... it could easily be more a hinderance than a help. Though an astute fighter kept things like this in mind at all times, Martini wasn't one. She was a survivalist first and last - anything to prolong her life was a possibility.

And in near death situations not all people would be level headed enough to remember the blades defined curve. The reason of her research, Hinma, the scar littered warrior - she was definitely more brain than brawn. For the time being at least, she seemed to have a cool head on her shoulders. Even so the kukri didn't seem like a good place to start as a beginner weapon. Though the scared woman's determination was clear - she wouldn't surrender or take no for an answer.

Brave woman, to take on such a weapon. Such things would require mental training along with the physical. Hinma was brave indeed. Martini would give her all and root for the scared woman to do the same. She was renewed in her purpose - she had a few ideas in mind now. She twisted the blade in her hand, turning the handle between her fingers so she could look art the other side of the blade. It really wasn't special other than the defined curve- it was a regular blade.

"Thank you so much. The information was very helpful and I think I have a better feel for the blade." Martini smiled as she handed the weapon back to the man. "I didn't catch your name though, I'm Martini."

"Wullis. The pleasure was mine." He took the blade carefully and pushed it back on to the display shelf it had rested on before. Afterwards he extended his hand and Martini paused for a few ticks before realizing he wanted a hand shake. Abashed she took his right hand with her left, subtly noticing the callouses that plagued his training worn hands. She thanked him on last time as they parted and she stepped back in to the streets of the market.

On her way home she filled her thoughts with designs and decorations. Though she realized half way to her apartment that she was thinking in terms of clothing. Weaponry had it's own fabrics so to say, and she'd yet to encounter them all. But she'd figure it out as she went and she'd learn from trial and error.
3/3 Threads
Martini Elwood
Painting away Anguish

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Madeira Dusk on February 8th, 2019, 12:09 am

Grades Awarded!

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request!

Martini Elwood

Skills
  • Land Navigation: 2xp
  • Socialization: 3xp
  • Observation: 3xp
  • Weapon- Kukri: 2xp
  • Logic: 2xp

Lores
  • Land Navigation: learning to read a map
  • Observation: inspecting quality
  • Keper: proprietor of the Good Book
  • Kukri: brief overview

Awards & Retribution
+Binder: -7ki
+Ink Sticks: -3ki

Notes
Notes here.
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)