PM to join [Song's Rest] Winter Changes (Kailani)

A Svefra and a Mage walk into a bar...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

[Song's Rest] Winter Changes (Kailani)

Postby Kynier on January 1st, 2019, 8:38 pm

1st of Winter, 518 A.V.

The Song's Rest 8th Bell----------------

Kynier wouldn’t have thought it when he had looked out the window of his room during the early bells of the day, but it was now the first day of Winter. The temperature was still fairly pleasant, the rains were diminishing and allowing Syna’s light to shine down upon the city. All of it didn’t feel natural. Where was the cold and the snow? For several years now, there had not been a true winter, it was bothering the mage despite how there was nothing he could do about it. As pleasant as it was, as much as it looked like an ideal Spring morning, Kynier felt that there was something very wrong going on.

That could have simply been his circumstances though. Sleeping in a bed at the Song’s Rest was without a doubt the most uncomfortable bed he had ever been in. That made for some terrible irony. Kynier got up that morning with numerous groans and stretching his back out in several ways before he felt better. Needless to say, he didn’t like the living arrangements. Nothing was his own, and there wasn’t any true privacy to be had. Residents in other rooms were sometimes loud and obnoxious. Whether people were fighting or copulating, the walls did little to distort the noise. Kynier was more than tempted to raise a shield and block it out, but felt it was more prudent to not lay a shield down at a public facility simply for his personal preferences.

When he finished dawning his clothing and weapons, he left his room and locked it behind him. All that was inside were his large chest and a few sacks. Most of his possessions were still inside the magical pack that hung from a shoulder. While it felt safer having them with him rather than in the inn’s room, it also increased his sense of paranoia. Trying to walk as though he wasn’t carrying all his valuable possessions at once, Kynier descended the stairs to the tavern. Already there was music playing and the smell of food wafted the air. Kynier moved to a table in the corner of the structure, one that gave him a clear view of the entrance as well as most of the lower floor.

As he sat down, he draped his cloak over the backrest of the chair to fall freely to the floor. He didn’t keep the hood up since he was inside. The dark green vest rested over a dark blue cotton shirt that was tucked into his dark pants. When a server came over, he set his order for breakfast and an ale. Kynier didn’t much care for spirits but found them preferable to the tainted water they tried to serve. As he waited for the food to arrive, the music stopped and the man that had been leading it began to speak loudly to the crowd that was present.

“Looks like this is going to be an interesting winter! What with the Daggerhand and Sun's Birth posed and ready to strike. Oddly enough though, they are not posed to strike against each other, but both are ready for battle from the past autumn of preparation."

"The Sun's have nearly succeeded in reclaiming The Western Heights when various hooded members of the public began to strike out at Dragoons in broad daylight. Its unknown if they are apart of the Night Eyes, but we all know it goes without saying that its them. The Heights are now under contention and I can only guess this was the wet dream those Vigilantes were looking for."

Kynier leaned back in his chair as the music started up once again. A finger rested thoughtfully under his lip as the fingers of the other hand strummed against the table’s surface. It was frustrating how he couldn’t see nor guess what was going to happen. There was this “Night of Masks” that the Daggerhand were planning. The Sun’s Birth were fairly simple, or at least appeared to be fairly simple, and wanted control over large territories. But the Night Eyes? They were a true mystery. One that was now very dangerous for him to approach. As Kynier waited for his food to come he questioned whether it was a mystery worth pursuing.

Boxcode credit goes to Gossamer!
Kynier
Player

Words: 1156083
Joined roleplay: May 13th, 2018, 3:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2018 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Kailani on January 3rd, 2019, 2:42 am

The first day of Winter dawned bright and clear, and it was all Kailani could do not to groan. Stepping from her small cabin onto the deck of The Sunset Tide, the sailor shielded her eyes from the harsh reflection of Syna’s glare and rubbed her aching head. It had been a long night of revelry with the Pearltide pod, the group celebrating the change of seasons as only the Svefra knew how. It had been a long time since she had partied in the style of the sea folk, and she was certainly feeling the effects of it that morning.

What she could remember came and went in dim snatches of music and petching, a barely familiar face with shaggy brown hair and bright blue eyes floating through her hazy recall. Gods, I hope she wasn’t part of the pod, Kailani thought, her groan this time far more audible. What an awkward encounter that will be when I can’t even remember her damn name…

Glancing back as Kona came to follow her, she offered him a weak smile and a link of sausage. At least I didn’t bring her back here. Even worse when you wake up next to them and don’t know who they are. That much she knew from experience, and perhaps it was that experience that had kept her from inviting the nubile young woman aboard. Whatever it was, she was glad she hadn’t. That was another headache she didn’t need this morning.

Shielded aquatic eyes gazed out over the bustle of Baroque Bay, contemplating whether or not she should start preparing for the first fare of the day. After a few ticks, she shook her head vehemently, the heaving of her stomach answering that question for her. There would be no work today. Kailani was sure Coraline wouldn’t mind if she took the day off; she was quite certain the rest of the pod was doing the same.

But I don’t really want to stay here all day either, she thought to herself as she slowly maneuvered her way around the deck, hauling up her anchor and raising her sails. Maybe another trip to The Song’s Rest? Best cure for a hangover is more ale…

“Can’t complain of a headache if I get drunk all over again, right, boy?” she asked Kona, who barked cheerfully in reply. He, of course, was no worse for wear, having enjoyed the party as much as she had, but obviously without the chemical imbibements involved. She almost envied him that, but what was a party without drowning in a keg of ale? No party she’d ever known.

Mind made up, she set off, the trip between Baroque Bay and the Gated Community thankfully quick and painless. Pulling up on shore, she lowered her sails and tossed her anchor in the mud before hopping off the boat and gesturing for her dog to follow. He did so willingly, close at her heels as she completed the short walk to the musical tavern.

The dulcet tones of a bard’s voice caressed Kailani’s ears as soon as she entered, a crooked smile tugging at the Svefra’s full lips. It was a rather poignant melody, telling a tale of love and loss, as so many songs did. She paused for a moment to listen, gently swaying in rhythm with the tune before it drew to a close. Her applause joined the others before she made her way to the bar and waited patiently for Franco to notice her.

“A fair morning to you,” the bartender greeted her after a chime or two, flashing a smile. “What can I do for you today?”

“A jug of ale, please,” Kailani replied with her own smile, the man nodding and fetching it within a few ticks.

She slid the coin over the bar with a nod of thanks, then turned to look out over the common area. She sought a free table or at least a free chair, but what she found instead had her raising her eyebrows in surprise. Weaving smoothly through the tables and people in her way, she pulled out an unoccupied chair in front of a familiar face and set her jug down on the surface between them.

“Well, hello there,” she said to Kynier, blue eyes twinkling as she greeted the mage. She poured out a glass of the frothing beverage and brought it to her lips with a blissful sigh. “You have spies that read thoughts now? Or is this just a happy coincidence?”

tiny filler words
Kailani
Daughter of the Sea

Words: 176158
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2018, 5:16 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Kynier on January 5th, 2019, 4:18 am

----------------

The meal was very basic, eggs and very thin slices of meat that were cooked until crispy. It was a light meal and did very little to satisfy his hunger. The thicker ale had served to fill in the remaining gap of his appetite. As he ate the bards of the place filled the air with sounds to pull at their hearts. Tales of love and loss that were some of the last things that Kynier had wanted to hear, for they only served to reset his attention on his own. Unless they changed their tune, and soon, he was going to need to leave to avoid the temptation of doing something very regrettable.

What he really needed was a distraction from it all. From what he had walked away from, and from the period of transition that he was currently in. A project or objective that would keep his mind busy. Unfortunately, his employer, Doler, had only been demanding tasks that were fairly simple as of late. Unless he were to try something at his own property… no… he didn’t want to do anything that could possibly cause delays to the construction. Kynier sighed a long sigh before taking another bite of the cooked meat strip.

By the grace of the gods, something better than a distraction came his way. A friendly face, one that wasn’t tied to any of the topics that were weighing down his spirits as of late. Kynier saw the familiar looking Svefra slipping through the crowd in his direction. A small smile pulled the corners of his lips as he watched her approach. As he took a sip of his ale, she had pulled out the chair on the other side of his table. The deerstalker, Kona, was at her side too. Kailani had brought her own jug of something to the table. When she poured it into cup he noted what sort of beverage it was. He gave a soft chuckle to her question.

“No, but should you ever find someone with that talent, would you let me know? That would be a skill of limitless value, spy or not.” Kynier took another sip of his ale and allowed his smile to widen a little. “It’s a pleasure to see you again, Kailani. This is just happenstance. I would’ve suspected that you’d be faring people all over the city at this time.” He looked at the jug that she had set down on the table between them. “Do you intend to drink all of that today?” he asked a little disbelievingly. Kynier had heard tales of the Svefra people being fancy-free, but she was the first one that he ever acquainted.

There were questions he wanted to ask, but there were a few reasons why he didn’t. For one thing, it was merely curiosity and not a critical piece of knowledge that he needed to know. For another, it was a sensitive subject that was not to be discussed in so public of a fashion as their current situation. Instead, he asked questions people would expect from someone that wasn’t like him. “Would you like something to eat? The food isn’t terrible, and it would be my turn to treat you to a meal.” He said with an indication to his empty plate.

It was at that point the current music selection stopped, much to Kynier’s relief. The main bard began speaking out to those present in the tavern again. As though the man were a self-anointed town crier. Not that Kynier was complaining. It saved him a little legwork when trying to discover the recent happenings within the city.

"The city has taken a keen interest in avoiding the Slab-ship at the bay, noting the strange spikes of 'magic' emanating from it from time to time. A sailor named Willums S. Dramnis was rowing his boat through the bay when a 'wave of heated sunbeams swarmed him like fireflies', making the man grow a set of testicles on his cheek, and changed all of his teeth into little fingers."

"Scholars around the city claim those Sunbeams are wild djed, which instantly put those Scholars under suspicion of being mages.... Any sightings of 'Mages' are to be pointed out to the nearest crowd to be hung.”

"In a move proving that anyone can turn a shyke situation in Sunberth into gold, 'Mr. Wigglemouth' is now a strange attraction to see at Tall Johnny's! You can find the rugged old human sailor by the golden hand, now marked by the Six-fingered god. Many say if you rub six of the little tooth-fingers in his mouth, you'll be 'blessed' by Ovek during the next endeavor you test your luck on."

Kynier finished the ale within his glass as the bards began to employ their arts. Music less woeful in nature and filled with slightly more vibrant rhythms. Subconsciously, Kynier was tapping his foot lightly to the new melodies. When the last of the ale was making its way to his stomach, the mage shook his head lightly. “It surprises me that no one has burned down that ship with the slab on it. Now its generating rays of power that are transforming men,” he grumbled. He looked to Kailani, and remembered that she wasn’t aware of what happened to him when he had gone to investigate the stone. “For a place that loathes magic, they are proving rather tolerant of a powerful presence in the bay. Maybe there’s some hope to be had.” The last part he said quiet enough for only Kailani to hear.

“Well Kailani, I hope that everything is going well for you. Have anymore interesting tales since the last time we meet?”

Kynier
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kailani on January 8th, 2019, 10:30 pm

Kailani rubbed the back of her neck with a self-deprecating smile, coughing to clear her throat. “Well, normally I would be faring people around the city, but let’s just say I partied a little too hard last night.” And apparently have no plans to stop that today, she thought to herself as she eyed the malt beverage on the table.

Her head still pounded every odd tick or so, but every swallow of ale was working to remedy that. When the mage indicated the jug she’d set down between them, a merry peal of laughter burst past her lips. Do you intend to drink all of that today? She lifted an eyebrow in his direction. “Do you doubt me?” she asked, amused as she brought the glass to her lips. “Come see a Svefra pod sometime. A jug of ale is nothing.” Looking at him again, she added almost reluctantly, “I guess you can have some too if you want any…”

At his offer of food, her stomach turned in protest. The Svefra went a little green around the lips before shaking her head. The thought of eating anything at that moment would have had her retching all over the floor. “Food is about the last thing I want right now. Maybe after a few drinks, that will change.” She drained the rest of her glass before filling it again. “But thank you.” Kona, meanwhile, seemed all too interested in that offer of food, staring up at Kynier with glassy eyes and a laughable expression. The big, scarred animal could hardly be described as cute, but he damn sure was doing his best impression of it. Kailani bit her lip on a giggle, nodding to her dog. “Think Kona might take you up on it, though.”

The bard’s words didn’t interest her much at first, but when she heard of a man growing testicles on his cheek, Kailani lifted a brow and stopped to listen closer. Balls on his face and fingers in his mouth? What the hell kind of reality were they living in? The sailor shook her head in disbelief. Tall Johnny’s. I’ll have to make a stop by there and see this for myself… Wild sunbeams transforming humans into oddities… The blue-eyed seafarer had seen some strange things in her day, but couldn’t recall anything that even remotely came close to that. And to rub his little teeth fingers for luck? Even stranger still.

When the music started back up and the bard stopped talking, she turned her attention back to Kynier with an exhale of laughter. “Sunberth is an odd place,” she muttered, rolling her eyes before listening to him speak.

“Maybe there’s hope? I don’t know, Kynier.” Her voice was just as low as his, cerulean eyes darting around them to make sure no one else was within earshot. “In the same breath he spoke of the transformation, he spoke of hanging mages. Bit of a ways to go, don’t you think?”

Kailani leaned back in her chair as he asked her of any recent tales she might have for him, shaking her head with mock sadness. Two more swallows of ale were dipped down her throat, a wry smile pulling at the corner of her mouth. “Aside from the day-to-day struggle of making sure no thieves slit my purse strings? Hardly.” She chuckled, reaching down to scratch under Kona’s chin. “Did have a fare the other day where Kona here nearly took a man’s hand off,” she added thoughtfully, looking at her Deerstalker with something akin to pride. “Dumb bastard raised a hand to me when I told him he couldn’t have a ride for free. Lost a finger in the process. Was scrubbing blood from the deck for about two bells after that.” She shrugged, hardly seeming perturbed at the casual mention of violence. Sunberth was hooking its claws in her, after all. “He’s lucky all he lost was a finger. I had half a mind to sail him out of the bay and drown him in the Sebakem.”

Downing the remainder of her glass in record time, she sighed blissfully as a warm languor started to spread through her veins. Much better, she thought to herself as she regarded her companion with a lazy expression. “What about you, Kynier? What have you been up to since I last saw you?”

tiny filler words
Kailani
Daughter of the Sea

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Kynier on January 9th, 2019, 2:39 am

----------------

Maybe it was the city of anarchy’s influence on him, but Kynier had no ability to be judgmental about the Svefra avoiding work to prolong her revelries. So, he just politely nodded and expressed his understanding. There were plenty of occurrences where he desired to take a day off from spying, though ale was never a motivator. Taking a day off could be healthy. Not so much for the body, but more for the mind. Then, when returning to work again, one could feel mentally refreshed.

Kynier smiled and suppressed a laugh in the back of his throat when she asked if he doubted her abilities. Truthfully, he didn’t. Too many times he had observed someone of smaller frame or stature drink a larger person under the table. “No, I don’t doubt that you can.” The change in her body language was apparent as she consumed more of the beverage. The way her lips pulled into a smile and her shoulders relaxed. “That probably has more jubilation than I know how to handle. I’ve overheard a few stories about Svefra parties. After meeting you though, I’d imagine those stories fail to properly describe what a Svefra pod can do. And thank you, but I will be fine with just my one.”

The change to Kailani’s skin tone at the mention of food was almost visible. But the expression was unmistakable. He had never had enough to be truly intoxicated. His instructor had been very strict with him and living in Sunberth gave him a paranoia that kept him from indulging. He though he understood the need to wait on food until after a few drinks, but most likely he really didn’t. Kynier turned his attention to the dog that had come to sit closer to him. Kona’s breeding was working against him. The canine was a breed meant for intimidation and protection. Attempting to appear adorable just wasn’t something the dog could do. It did make for an entertaining display.

Kynier took a scrap of meat that was still on his plate and gently tossed it to the beggar at his side. “That’s all you’re getting for now,” he said to the dog after it had gobbled down the scrap. “If you want anymore, you’ll have to ask her when she gets something.” Kynier turned his attention back to the Svefra. “When you feel ready to eat something, it’ll be my treat.”

It was true, Sunberth was an odd place. Then again, the other two cities that he had been were fairly different in their own way. But only in Sunberth did it seem less unusual that someone become disfigured and manage to change their fortune because of it. Kynier braced his elbows on the table and scratched at his chin thoughtfully at Kailani’s comment. His tone grew in volume just a little. “That particular road is rather long. But I have hope that enough people might be willing to travel down that road. Getting one person to change their view on something that they fear is not easy. But, if they are at least willing to tolerate, then the next day they might be more open. If not, then maybe the next year. Those wounds are old ones in the city. It’ll be up to the next generation to accept any change.”

He listened to what seemed like some monotony with her profession. Keeping a hand on one’s coin was second nature. Kynier did raise both eyebrows at the mention of the man trying to strike the woman. He turned his attention back to Kona as he leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms. “How did that taste?” he asked the dog. Kynier held a wry smile for half a tick before turning back to Kailani. “I do hope that he does not try to retaliate. While it may have only been a finger, there’s no telling how personal he took it.”

Then she asked him what had happened with him. Kynier locked his gaze with the Svefran blues as he sighed. He leaned forward and poured himself another glass of ale from Kailani’s jug. Willing himself to stay numb worked fairly well, mostly because of how he could choose to ignore what caused him pain. That wasn’t something he could do while talking about it. Kynier consumed half of the new glass and smacked his lips once as he looked down at his cup. “I’ve ended what gave me the most happiness in my life and moved out of the Midnight Gem.” His tone was matter-of-fact.

As he raised the glass to his lips again, he indicated the Song’s Rest with a finger, “I’ve been staying here since then.” He took a sip this time. “There’s a piece of land that I purchased and have formed a contract to have a new home built there. They are already almost twenty days in, but it will still take them most if not all of Winter to complete the project. Other than that,” he shrugged. “I’ve been spying,” he said quietly. “But have not learned anything too interesting for some time.”

When he finished the glass, he felt warmth flush his cheeks. Also, his fingers felt light and hollow. It was the most ale he had consumed in a short time. Typically, he refrained himself to a single glass on the rare occasions he had an ale. While the sensations were not desired, they were not unwelcome either. “I have been reluctant to take as many risks because of that. My… training has been delayed until it can be done privately without disturbing other people.” He was silent for a moment as a distant look filled his eyes. “In short, I’ve been reevaluating what my priorities should be.”

Kynier
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kailani on January 14th, 2019, 10:10 pm

Kona greedily accepted the scrap of food offered, wolfing it down in record time and looking to the mage for more. When more wasn’t forthcoming, he grumbled and settled himself at Kailani’s side, curling around her feet with a sigh. A wry smile tugged at the corner of her mouth as she looked down at him, one hand dropping down to scratch his back.

At Kynier’s words of possible retaliation, the seafarer only shrugged. “I’m not that worried,” she replied, refilling her glass yet again and tipping it to her lips. “If he comes after me, he comes after the pod. And I don’t think he wants a bunch of bloodthirsty Svefra on his tail.” A brief grin was flashed the mage’s way. “We take care of our own. Usually.” Her face darkened briefly at that last, remembering bitterly the conversation she’d had with Coraline, the one where she’d been informed the Crestwidows wouldn’t be coming for her, after all. It still stung, and she wasn’t sure if that would ever stop.

When she asked Kynier how he’d been, Kailani watched in surprise as he made to pour himself another glass of the ale. Not good, then, she concluded pretty quickly, his words only reaffirming that. “Oh, Kynier, I’m so sorry,” she said, reaching over to gently pat his hand. The downcast expression, the tightness around his eyes, the way he held his voice in check… It didn’t take long to guess what had accompanied his loss of the Midnight Gem. She’d felt her own share of heartache recently, and it wasn’t hard to recognize that same feeling in others.

The Svefra wasn’t sure whether she should ask about it or let it go, biting her lip and deciding on the latter. The mage had struck her as the close-mouthed type from the beginning, so she didn’t want to push it, unless he broached the subject himself. Briefly, Kailani thought of trying to use her newfound grasp of Auristics to probe a little further, but ultimately decided the effort expended wouldn’t be worth the reward. She was still very new to the practice, and maintained a high level of difficulty in deciphering what exactly it was she would be seeing. Besides, on top of that, it just seemed rather rude.

Instead, she glanced around the tavern where Kynier mentioned he was staying, a slight frown furrowing her brow. The music was lovely, and it was infinitely more preferable to The Drunken Fish, but a bar wasn’t meant to be a home. At least he was having another place built, but still…

“You know, The Sunset Tide is rather private,” Kai told him, just as quietly. As soon as he’d begun to teach her, the magic that could get them both killed had become their shared secret. She felt the least she could do was offer him a safe place to practice. “All you need do is ask, and I can take you miles outside of Sunberth. I know, it’s nothing like the protections you had before, but the ocean keeps her secrets well.”

As soon as she saw he’d drained his glass, she wordlessly pushed the jug of ale back his way. Something told her he would need it. “And besides, better to have a bit of company you actually know than to try to risk it in a place like this, yeah?” She took another swallow of her ale and shifted back in her seat, causing a grumble of protest from the dog wrapped around her ankles. “You’d have to leave during the day when I’m working, but the evenings and nights? I wouldn’t mind having you aboard.”

In truth, Kailani missed living aboard a ship with others, and even with a new pod, Sunberth was a lonely place. She wasn’t accustomed to being by herself, and while Kona’s presence eased her heart, it wasn’t the same. Her conversations with her dog were one-sided, and somehow just not as fulfilling as having another person nearby.

“What do you say?” A smile was flashed his way as she added, “I promise not to push you overboard unless you really deserve it.”

tiny filler words
Kailani
Daughter of the Sea

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Kynier on January 28th, 2019, 9:12 pm

----------------

It was hard to say why, but he felt worried for her. Kynier wasn’t sure if the Svefra was simply underestimating how petty the people could be, or if she was that confident in the Sunberth Pod that she had joined. From the expression she bore after boasting how she wasn’t alone, Kynier was led to believe that she was trying to convince herself just as much as she was trying to convince him. It was a hard place to live. Harder still if alone. During his first few ignorant years of living here, he had been alone and managed to survive mostly by avoiding attention. Kynier didn’t know if that was something that Kailani could do even if she wanted.

A soft sigh escaped his parted lips as he observed her. “I suppose there’s one advantage to living on boat. It makes it more difficult to track you down. It’s very well possible that you’d never see the man again, even if he’s trying to find you.” He gave a glance to Kona who was lying by her feet. “Though I would wager he’d only lose more fingers if he tried,” he said with a slight smile.

When Kailani reached across the table to pat his hand he felt a flush in his cheeks as well as in his ears. A strange mixture of anger and something else, something much harder to describe that came from her simple touch. Appreciation? Loneliness? The anger was directed inward and was stirred by the simplest recollection of why his situation was the way it was. He turned his hand to catch the Svefra’s fingers in his own for a tick’s length of time. In that time, he gave her a gentle squeeze of appreciation for her sympathy. “Change is necessary at times, no matter how much it hurts. Even if it is to change back to something you were before.” Kailani had given the establishment a quick glance as the song came to an end and the bard spoke out once more.

"In other news, a Jamoura named Numerius has been seen roaming around Sunberth. He's been seen in front of the temple of unknown, warning that the city should 'transcend their realities', what ever that means."

The mage arched any eyebrow at that. He’d heard of the strange race of Jamoura, but never had seen one before. Perhaps another venture to the Temple was in order later in the season. The thought failed to run longer than that as Kailani turned her attention back to him and offered the safety of her ship and the sea for the occasions that he wished to practice the arcane. It was a bit of a strange offer. But Kailani would have no idea that sometimes his urge to enhance his understanding came at the strangest of whims. “That is a very generous offer,” he said with a smile. “And I would be foolish to allow it to pass. I promise to not allow The Sunset Tide to be damaged like the last time I was on it.”

When she continued, it seemed that more was being offered. Kynier slowly poured himself another glass as he listened to the second part of her proposal. She was offering him board aboard her ship? The size of the cabin had not escaped his memory. Kynier was already trying to imagine how the two of them, plus Kona, would be able to all sleep in the cabin. There was only one bed. For a moment he was silent as he sipped from his glass and allowed his eyes to wander the inn. What she proposed was what he would consider to be tough living, but one benefit would be to live with someone that knew and kept his secret… again. Sleeping without that sense of paranoia was a luxury in itself.

Again, he smiled as he brought his eyes back to her Svefran blues. With another moment spent considering the offer and measuring her, Kynier could see that it was more than just a polite offer. For some reason, she seemed to want him aboard her ship. A single soft chuckle rumbled from his chest. Probably to have him nearby to answer questions about Auristics. “That… I…” Kynier cleared his throat, feeling a bit nervous for a reason he was unsure of. “Thank you Kailani. I would enjoy being able to stay. So long as I never find out what it takes to get thrown overboard,” he said with a smirk. “And I promise to not be a bother and get in your way.”

“Once we’re done here, we could head straight over if you’d like. Everything I have fits into my pack as well as a chest that’s in my room upstairs. Stopping by the market to get a bedroll would be a good idea though. Since there’s only one bed on the ship. I do not mind taking to the floor.” They had the jug refilled once with ale and shared the contents. Once they both had had their fill, Kynier went up to his room to get the remainder of his belongs. Afterwards, he followed Kailani down to the river where The Sunset Tide had been moored. It was tight living, but it was going to be in good company.

Kynier
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes