Closed Magic and Make-Up (Gemma)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Magic and Make-Up (Gemma)

Postby Martini Elwood on February 23rd, 2019, 8:32 pm

61st, Winter, 518

Martini wasn’t particularly nosy - she usually kept to herself and didn’t interfere with others unless their action was a direct offset to her own. So when she walked to Tain’s and noticed the posting from the towers it took her a few moments to register. The note was written on parchment and their were loose papers stuck to the post - she figured taking one couldn’t hurt. Rumors of some student of a magic teacher had gone crazy - what had they said? Overgiving? Either way it seemed like she’d used to much magic and had exhausted herself mentally. Now that she had a the paper in her hands, she read as she made her way forward.

Just another reason to fear magic and it’s effects… She scolded herself for the thought but kept reading and corrected herself. Sweet whispers - something she hadn’t heard of. Was it like overgiving? Probably s if it had caused such a situation earlier. Further down she went, the more she resisted the urge to scoff. SO they were tying to stop then unprofessional use of magic? Hah, as if it would be so easy. She herself would outlaw the use of whole, not just by… unprofessional teachers and means.

She crumbled the parchment in a white knuckled grip - this woman could have died or worse and all because her curiosity made her a subject to magic testing. She hadn’t been angry no, just disappointed and fearful that her own curiosity would to a similar end. She inhaled a shaky breath and rolled the parchment up to settle it in her backpack.

She arrived a Tain’s more shaken than she would have liked - her mind wandering here and there and to possibilities of her future if she did chose to get involved in the cycle of magic. When the young Konti entered Tain’s, Martini drew her attention to anything that would take her mind off the issue. She was sitting near the door so she could hear the majority of the conversation. Weighing her options, she packed up her supplies, thanked the worker and walked out to follow the other woman.

She called out to her softly as not to scare her, but loud enough to be heard around the hustle of Kalea. She waved at her as she caught up. “I’d love to help you with your mask if you don’t mind?” She asked breathlessly as she calmed herself. She had left in quite the hurry to catch up. “Sorry, I happened to overhear your conversation at Tain’s… I thought maybe I could help?”

She was desperate for anything that would keep her thoughts at bay - this Konti was her only hope right now. She had a feeling anything she would draw would be messy and distracted. Though, in fairness she wasn’t a best at make up - sure, she’d done a few face powders on her skin to cover her eye bags but a mask? She hadn’t thought this through and she could only hope the woman didn’t accept or wouldn’t mind…
3/3 Threads
If you are grading a thread I participated in I'd love feedback or improvement notes on the writing itself <3
Martini Elwood
Painting away Anguish

Words: 133955
Joined roleplay: June 16th, 2017, 2:19 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Gemma Parker on February 23rd, 2019, 9:21 pm

As Gemma walked away from Tain's, she couldn't help but feel disappointed. In the end, she would have to go back to the original shop stall she'd seen and hope that there was something worth buying.

But then, there was the sound of sandals slapping against the cobblestone as someone neared her, and a voice called out. She stopped walking and turned around to see who it was. Running up to her and a little out of breath was a girl she had briefly seen at Tain's. She was a little older than Gemma, though Gemma would always look like a 16 year old, so the age difference was even more apparent at a glance. In appearance, though, she was about as opposite from Gemma as they came. Gemma's skin and hair were pale, and of course there were the scales. This woman's hair was short and dark, though it might have seemed darker due to the night. Her skin was also a beautiful light tan. If they were ice cream flavors, Gemma would be vanilla and this girl would be caramel. She smiled at the thought.

"Hey, sure, I'd love some help. But I don't know if you heard, I don't have a lot of money. I can't pay for professional cosmetics, and the idea I had is pretty complicated. Basically I'm thinking of a cosmetic and prosthetic mask that makes it look like my scales flow into the mask." As she said this, she traced the line of scales coming up her neck, tilting her head to give the woman a better view. "And then it would blend with the scales on my forehead, too. But the more I ask around, the more I get the idea that it's possible but super expensive, and I don't know how to simplify it or come up with a better alternative. So I was just going to go to a shop that sells masks and buy a generic one." She said. "I know so little about cosmetics, I can basically just braid my hair. And even then it doesn't look very good." She admitted.

"What did you have in mind?" She asked.
Last edited by Gemma Parker on April 6th, 2019, 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gemma Parker
Player

Words: 219685
Joined roleplay: February 12th, 2019, 5:22 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Martini Elwood on April 4th, 2019, 10:06 am

Martini caught her breath as she listened to the Konti's explanation. Something to blend with her scales would indeed be difficult - but for Martini is was near impossible. That said she spoke anyway. "I'd like to think I'm decent at simplifying things. I don't have much cosmetic knowledge either, but I'm sure we could come up with something together."

She paused for a moment to consider the ideas she had. The brunette was positive that the Konti wouldn't like her face painted. That idea aside, if they could find some basic paper or thinned wood it couldn't be to hard to paint? "I'm not sure how well I'll be able to blend the mask with your scales. But if you have a basic mask I can paint it for you? I'm decent, I promise."

She chuckled at the thought. She was a decent artist, but her painting? Not so much. It was a chance to improve under other eyes though - she wouldn't pass it up. She could use the practice, and the Konti seemed to know what she wanted. If something looked off she'd tell Martini.

"Oh, I'm Martini by the way. You are?" She glanced back at the Konti with an expectant look. She couldn't address the woman as Konti forever, and she probably shouldn't at all. As she spoke she observed the scales in the lighting of the closing day.
3/3 Threads
If you are grading a thread I participated in I'd love feedback or improvement notes on the writing itself <3
Martini Elwood
Painting away Anguish

Words: 133955
Joined roleplay: June 16th, 2017, 2:19 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Gemma Parker on April 6th, 2019, 10:18 pm

“Martini. I’m Gemma. It’s nice to meet you,” she said with a smile and a light bow.

“I don’t have a mask yet,” she replied. “I was planning on going and getting a mask already made, but if you’d be willing, maybe we could get a blank mask and you could work with that.” She bit her lip in thought, trying to think of a way to offer assistance or an idea.

Gemma started walking toward the Azure Market, gesturing for Martini to follow.

“What kind of mask would be best for you to work with?” She asked. “I haven’t seen any of your work, so I’m not sure what kind of style you prefer. And if I’m being honest, I know almost nothing about art,” she said with a sheepish grin, looking to Martini in hopes that she had not offended her in any way with her ignorance.

“How long have you been at Tain’s? Do you like it there?” She asked, trying to make conversation. She figured it was polite to share pleasantries while they walked.

“You accent sounds a little familiar, but I can’t place it. Are you originally from Lhavit?” She didn’t want to offend by guessing wrong.

“I’ve been here my whole life. Never left,” she said. “What’s it like where you’re from?”
Gemma Parker
Player

Words: 219685
Joined roleplay: February 12th, 2019, 5:22 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Madeira Dusk on January 13th, 2020, 8:17 pm

Grade Awarded

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request!

Martini Elwood

Skills
  • Socialization: 2xp
  • Planning: 1xp

Lores
  • City Event: The Ponrose Overgiving incident
  • Magic: effects of overgiving
  • Magic: sweet whispers

Awards & Retribution

Notes
Too bad this couldn't get off the ground! As always, give me a prod if you have questions or if I missed anything.

Gemma

Please contact me about your grade!
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)