PM to join [The Pig's Foot] A meal and a talk (Kynier)

Sharing a meal in the Pig's Foot Tavern

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

[The Pig's Foot] A meal and a talk (Kynier)

Postby Taris Orlanith on February 28th, 2019, 5:17 am

Winter 39, 518 AV

Taris followed the man to the Pig’s Foot Tavern. It wasn’t far from the alley, but it did take several minutes. Several minutes of walking in silence.

Taris spent the walk wondering what the man would say. That, and looking for a water barrel or an unattended pail of water he could use to wash off his face and hands. His shirt was a mess, stained with the bright blood of his nose. There was nothing for it. He would have to steal another one. He would rather that be sooner than later, especially as they were going to the Pig’s Foot, but it couldn’t be helped. He would simply have to deal with the stares and questions that came his way.

Speaking of stares, he noticed some people staring as he passed them. Is it really that big of a deal? he wondered. People were killed in Sunberth every day. They were attacked, cut, sliced, had their bones broken. Yet some looked at him with his bloody nose and hand and shirt with expressions of curious horror.

Taris swallowed. Did they think he had just attacked someone? Maybe they thought he had killed someone.

He pointed at the man ahead of him and gave what he hoped was a reassuring grin. “It’s alright,” he said. “He just broke my nose. All’s fine.”

An gray haired woman scowled. Taris turned around as he passed her, walking backwards so he could keep his eyes on her. Her eyes didn’t move from him. She clenched her teeth and Taris swallowed. He turned around again and hurried after the man. He really didn’t want to end this day at The Gallows.

He stuck close to the man after that. But not too close, of course. He didn’t want to get his nose broken again or, worse, a tooth knocked out and all because the man thought Taris might be trying to pick his pocket again.

His belly grumbled as they reached the Pig’s Foot. The smell of the tavern’s food was almost thick enough to touch. Like a thick fog, it hung over the door, beckoning him to come inside and eat. The man pushed the door open and Taris didn’t hesitate to follow him inside.
Taris Orlanith
Player

Words: 33169
Joined roleplay: January 6th, 2019, 11:10 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kynier on February 28th, 2019, 10:31 pm

Helping a stranger was not common when survival was a constant struggle. Especially when the stranger was someone that had just tried to steal from you. While the spot on Kynier’s face, where Taris had punched him, still felt a bit flushed, it had not yet started to swell. Any bruising it would cause was likely to be faint. Overall, Taris had done very little harm. Kynier also managed to retrieve the parcel, so it was easy to forgive compared to what most people would do. The mage wasn’t entirely sure why he wanted to try and help the young thief, but he knew that somehow, he should.

In truth, he wasn’t even sure how it was that he could help the young man. Giving coin or food was easy, but also only temporary in alleviating the problems. Taris was going to need guidance if he was ever going to be anything more than just another pick-pocket on the street. That wasn’t an immediate issue though. Kynier glanced over his shoulder to watch the boy give assurances to strangers in the street. Sighing, and rolling his eyes, Kynier wondered what he had just gotten himself into.

When the Pig’s Foot came into view, Kynier was able to hear the rumble from Taris’ stomach. He eyed the boy with mild amusement. “The Pig’s Foot is not my first choice among the taverns. It just happens to be the closest. So, I wouldn’t get too excited about the quality of the food.” The tone in which he spoke was meant to be a suggestive one but could easily have been taken as a warning. Kynier stepped through the doorway. The scruffy owner, Merv, was standing behind the counter and looked up at them as they walked inside.

He had no familiarity with the tavern owner, despite how they weren’t strangers. Thusly, Kynier kept moving and wandered to the nearest available table. On his way there, Kynier scanned the faces of the other people that were there. Merv had ties with the Daggerhand, and often, members of the gang would come to the Pig’s Foot for food and drink. From an initial glance, there were no brothers or sisters that Kynier recognized. That didn’t mean that they weren’t there.

Situating himself at the table, Kynier took the seat that allowed him the best view of the tavern. He was able to see most of the dining area, as well as the owner. The doors were not within sight, but it would soon be one of the busier bells for a tavern. Kynier looked at Taris and took a moment to consider what to say to the lad. Hazel eyes were drawn to the drying blood on his face, but it likely looked worse than it felt. He supposed that he should address that first and foremost. “Well, Taris, you have managed to catch my interest for the moment. Where most people would give you a dagger between the ribs, I’m going to give you a chance to tell me about yourself. Why you’ve chosen to be a thief instead of being… well, anything else. Also, why it was you chose to pick my pocket.”

Credit for the boxcode goes to Luminescence!
Last edited by Kynier on April 7th, 2019, 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kynier
Player

Words: 1156083
Joined roleplay: May 13th, 2018, 3:14 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2018 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Taris Orlanith on March 5th, 2019, 4:24 am

Taris considered the man sitting across from him. It wasn’t everyday he picked a guy’s pocket, got his nose, first, broken and then set by the same guy. There was something different about him, Taris was sure of that. He deserved something in return.

“My father was killed,” Taris began, “when I was a little kid. Mother got sick, died the next year. I was just a kid.”

He looked down at the table between himself and the man. The table’s surface was almost smooth, worn down by hundreds of plates and mugs and hands. Still, he could see the grains in the planks. Straight lines and whorls and dark spots. He put a finger on one and began to trace it.

“Tairi couldn’t… Tairi’s my big sister. She had a job, but she couldn’t work and take care of me.” He shrugged. “She abandoned me. She didn’t mean to, but she did. If I wanted to live, well, picking pockets, swiping any food I could find.” Taris glanced toward the bar, then returned his eyes to the table’s wood grains. “I hear peoples say the food here isn’t great. But when you’re hungry all the time, everything tastes delicious and you’ll do what you can to get it.

Taris sighed and looked up. Meeting the man’s hazel eyes, he said, “Picking pockets is what I can do. It’s how I stay alive. You, you helped me to my feet after I fell. It wasn’t… I didn’t even think about doing it. It just happened. You were there. Your pockets were there. I could do it. I had an excuse. So I did.”

A feeling rose up in him. An embarrassment, a shyness he hadn’t felt since he was a kid. Taris glanced back down at the table and smiled. “You stole that parcel just before I stole it from you. So, you know what I mean.”

Taris shook his head. Should he do something more with his life? Join one of the big gangs? Maybe he could ask Tairi to find a job for him, stop stealing and go straight. That would probably be the healthy thing to do.

“The way I see it, stealing lets me do what I want to do. It’s not the best, but it’s not the worst. Jobs, though, jobs take you away from what you want to do. They kill you. Father died at his job. Tairi left me because of her job. So what’s the use of them?”

He lifted his head again. When was the barmaid going to come by? Or would he really have to go up to the bar himself? He wanted a pail of water and a rag. Or just a rag. He wanted to get this blood off his face.
Taris Orlanith
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kynier on March 6th, 2019, 3:13 am

Taris had settled himself on the other side of the table and Kynier kept an eye out for a barmaid or a server. The response to his question was much heavier than he had anticipated. In truth, it was likely on par with how many stories of the Sunberth natives went. Kynier leaned forward to rest an elbow on the table and cradled his chin in his hand as he listened. Although, he did more than listen. He watched Taris’ fidgeting and shifting gaze. The boy was restless and appeared uncomfortable sitting still. Although, the subject that he was talking of would make anyone want to do anything except sit.

Kynier was able to empathize a good quantity of what Taris described. There were some parts that he understood but could never truly understand. Like having a sister that seemed to abandon you. The mage was an only child, but even trying to fathom having a sibling and how that would’ve changed the direction that his life had taken, was more than he could think about in a few tick’s time. But he understood the picture that Taris was painting. The boy was alone because he had no support at all.

It did not go unnoticed how there was no apology. Yet, it seemed that Taris expected a sort of professional understanding from him about the situation. The boy had a skill that was closer to a necessity than a talent. An opportunity arose and Tari leapt on it, only to regret where it landed him. Kynier sighed once. He was able to understand, but forgiveness he was less sure on. He wasn’t going to worry about something that the boy was likely to not really want. Kynier leaned back in his seat and crossed his arms when Taris had finished explaining.

He didn’t want any advice he gave to sound condescending, so Kynier chose to say something to help Taris understand that he could relate. “Before I was ten, my parents decided we were going to move from the city of Nyka to Syliras. Along the way, we were attacked, and my father was killed during the attack. My mother was taken, and I’ve never seen her since then. I have no siblings to try and connect to. So, I understand what its like. Not having anyone to be with. And finding something that you’re good at to distract yourself with.”

Kynier took his eyes away from Taris as a barmaid approached their table. Kynier gave her a courteous smile. “Hello,” he said before she could really greet them. “I would like stew, and an ale.” Kynier turned his eyes on the young man and gestured at him. “I’ll be paying for whatever he has,” he said. Then he was silent until the barmaid left with their requests. “I normally don’t drink ale, but it’s better than the water,” he muttered loud enough for Taris to hear.

“Jobs are important though. Sure, if you’re good enough, you could steal the things you wanted. But that’s a life of always making sure there isn’t a dagger coming at you from behind. Some people are fortunate enough to make money legitimately by doing things they enjoy doing.” Kynier shrugged his shoulders. “Perhaps, you just haven’t found the right thing yet.” Kynier narrowed his eyes quizzically. “With that in mind, what are the things you enjoy doing Taris? These things you say that stealing allows you to do that a job wouldn’t.”

Last edited by Kynier on April 7th, 2019, 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kynier
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Taris Orlanith on March 12th, 2019, 11:51 pm

Taris smiled at the man’s tale of journeying from Nyka to Syliras. He had heard the names of the cities, of course. They were to the northwest. But he had no idea just how far they were from each other. That didn’t matter though. The thing was, they had both been orphaned as young kids.

A barmaid approached before Taris could say more. His eyes widened as the man gestured toward him and said he would pay for whatever he wanted. Whatever he wanted?

Taris blinked and forced back his surprise. He had been in the Pig’s Foot plenty of times. Still, he didn’t need to act like a wide-eyed babe. He was seventeen, for gods sakes! He had lived on the streets for nearly a decade.

He looked up at the barmaid and said, “I’ll have some, uh, stew, too. Um, a loaf of bread, a mug of ale, and…”

His voice fell off as he tapped his chin. Should he just get a whole meal? He was pretty much there. Or some meat! It wasn’t everyday he had meat. Then there was fish. He could go for some fish.

Stop acting like an idiot! yelled his conscious inside his skull. Yeah, you could make this guy spend all his money on food. But how much of it can you take with you? Ok, well, you can take a lot. But that doesn’t mean you should! This guy wants something. Figure out what it is.

“That, that’s all,” Taris told the barmaid. She started to turn away and he remembered something. “Wait!” She looked back, one eyebrow raised in question. Taris motioned to his bloody face. “A wet rag, to clean myself up.”

She tugged the rag from her belt and tossed it to him before leaving to get their order. Taris caught the rag in his right hand with a deft, overhand catch. He tried to toss it upward to his left hand, but his fingers opened before he could raise his hand high enough. The rag fell to the floor soundlessly. Taris dropped after it so hastily the sound of his chair clattering as it rocked on its legs filled the air. He snatched the rag from the floor, steadied the chair and sat down again. He pressed the rag to his face and began to scrub at the dried blood on his chin and lips. The rag smelled of old ale, but it was better than nothing.

Across from him, the man said, “I normally don’t drink their ale, but it’s better than water.”

Taris grinned and nodded at that. It was true. The Drunken Fish, where he spent most nights, had better ale and better food. The only good thing about the Pig’s Foot was its location in the Commons.

The man continued talking. Taris listened, but he was more focused on getting the blood off his face. Was it gone yet? His chin and upper lip felt cleaner. He folded the rag over started scrubbing at his neck.

Then the man asked him a question and Taris froze. He blinked at the table. What things did he enjoy?

“Well,” he began, “I enjoy eating. And not getting caught.”

He laughed. It was that, or sink into misery. Enjoyment, fun, those were for people with money. People who didn’t have to worry about food or if the guy sleeping on the next pallet would steal their coin purse in the night. Real fun, or even simple enjoyment, wasn’t something he experienced often.

“I, I don’t know,” Taris admitted. He lowered the rag and looked up at the man. “It’s been a long time since I did anything fun.” He shook his head. “I mean, fun that wasn’t related to stealing. I try to make that fun because, well…”

He let his voice trail off again. It was the same old line. The thrill of the chase. The thrill of stealing. Yeah, it was a thrill. But it was also terrifying, the thought of getting caught and what his marks might do to him when they caught him. That terror was what kept him moving when he picked someone’s pocket or swiped something from a merchant’s stall. Only the burning in his legs as he ran as fast as he could down the street, the ache in his lungs as they begged for air, kept that terror from overwhelming him. And the hollow, painful emptiness of his stomach, that was what drove him to face the terror again and again. He had no idea what it would be like to not have any of those things.

He swallowed and looked at the man again. “You still haven’t told me your name. Or what it is that you do. All you’ve said is that you stole that,” he pointed vaguely toward where the parcel sat in the man’s pocket, “before I stole it from you. And, what about you? What do you enjoy?”

The way the man had been evading giving him his name, Taris doubted whether he would ever learn it. As for his other questions, he was certain those would go unanswered, too.
Taris Orlanith
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kynier on March 15th, 2019, 6:54 pm

Seeing the look in Taris’ eye about the freedom to order gave Kynier a small measure of joy and amusement. Both of which he kept to himself by maintaining his stoic expression. But he remembered what it was like, not knowing if he was going to be able to have any food to eat for the day, or two. The gnawing hunger that made someone feel completely hollow. Even if it was just the one time, just today, Kynier was going to relish the pleasure in knowing he spared someone from that sensation. No matter how temporary it would be.

Sitting in silence, as he watched the barmaid walk away, and Taris cleaning the blood off his face, Kynier considered if there was anything else that he could do to help the boy. For now, it only seemed as though he could provide advice. Currently, he was living with Kailani on her boat and wasn’t able to provide shelter. Not that he would do such a thing right now. He was no fool to offer access to his possessions to a boy that had just tried to steal from him. Perhaps, he could try to teach Taris something that may help him. But what did he know that Taris likely didn’t already know?

“Hmm,” he grunted when Taris admitted to not knowing what the fun activities he enjoyed were. Kynier smirked at the juxtaposition of stealing for the freedom to do what he wanted, but not knowing what he wanted. Taris sounded very set in his way, but only because he didn’t know what else there was that he could do. One possibility for the boy that didn’t seem likely to happen, was that he’d end up affiliating with one of the gangs, or an up and coming one. Kynier thought that because they could promise a sense of purpose, and even an income. Both were things that might have an appeal to the boy.

Taris’ remark caused him to raise an eyebrow. Hadn’t he? “My name is Kynier. As for what I do, I work as a spy.” He shrugged a shoulder. “Basically, I just steal things for someone else. Knowledge and information mostly. As for what I enjoy doing,” he paused for a long moment. “Well, my interests seem to be inclined towards things that most people would scrutinize.” Key thing among them being magic. Taris was a native and likely wouldn’t be able to see any magic as a way of transforming his life, the way it had Kynier’s. One day it might be able to do that for the boy. But only during a critical time during his life. Today seemed like it had just been another day for Taris until Kynier came along.

Nothing else came to mind on what it was that the mage could do to help the boy beyond a free meal. Kynier had no grand wisdom to share, and his profession was the same as the boy’s in a way. Only difference was that he found someone to pay him for it. There was one fault to Taris’ way of life that Kynier could see. Kynier leaned forward and set his elbows on the table. “I’m not going to presume to fully understand your situation Taris. But there is only one thing I feel I could give advice on, if I may?” A seriousness filled his hazel eyes as he looked at the young man.

“Your entire life sounds reactive. Something happens and you act because of it. You grow hungry and you steal when that happens. You feel that your sister abandons you and you wander the streets alone because of it. Instead, what you could do, is be pro-active. If you’re going to continue to steal, don’t do it because you’re hungry. Do it so that you have something for when you are hungry. Does that make sense?” Kynier shifted his seat closer to the table to be more comfortable, and continued to speak in a slightly lower tone.

“The world will take everything you have, if you let it. And sometimes, you can do every correctly, but still have everything fall apart. These are the things that I’ve learned by living in Sunberth, which has only been for a few years. But, I came here, to this city, with a plan,” a finger tapped the table’s surface for emphasis. “Things have happened that have distracted me from it. Events that I couldn’t have ever imagined unfolded. I have a desire that I wish to fulfill. I’m not talking about having a home, or finding a woman to bed every night. Those are wants. What I desire is to have an affect on this world, regardless of how small it might be.”

“So, ask yourself Taris, what is it that you desire? Do you want something more feasible, like having a roof over your head and a bed to sleep in every night? You have the potential to achieve any sort of life you want. But you have to strive for it, and fight to get it.” Kynier’s eyes were drawn away, as the barmaid returned with their food on a tray. Kynier leaned back in his chair as she set everything down for them. While she did, he pulled out the parcel they had both stolen to look upon the contents. First, he stared at the ring. The silver band with a hawk holding a thunderbolt in its talons. After a few rotations between his fingers, he set it down and pulled out the maps.

When the barmaid was done, Kynier gave her thanks and picked up his goblet of ale to sip. The beverage was a little bitter in flavor, but had a malty aftertaste that made him crave another drink. The mage set the parchments down on the table and fanned them out. The top one was definitely a basic map of the Rotten Ruins area of the city. The others, where less familiar to him. Likely the inside of a structure, or even a layout of tunnels from the mines below. Someone was looking for something it seemed.

Normally, Kynier would’ve not seen any of these and have taken everything back to the wizard. But having now looked upon them, his own curiosity was becoming too much to ignore. Who was looking for whatever lay at the end of these directions?

Last edited by Kynier on April 7th, 2019, 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kynier
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Taris Orlanith on March 19th, 2019, 3:59 am

Kynier. Taris said it again in his mind. Kynier.

The man—Kynier—may have shared it with him before. If he had, Taris had been too distracted to hear it. It was an interesting name, not one he had heard before. It could, of course, be false. A fake name given to prevent him from finding the man again. He had known people to give false names. If you were willing to lie and say you hadn’t stolen something, or hadn’t been kissing someone else’s girl, then why not lie about your own name? Still, it was the only name Taris had for the man. He would take it as honest truth, until he learned otherwise. And, as far as he knew, Kynier hadn’t lied to him yet.

“Scrutinize?” Taris said. “Like, what sort of things would they scrutinize?”

There were so many things Taris could think of. Torturing people for fun, like the doctor in the Den. Not that Taris had ever been there. Maybe he liked killing puppies and kittens. He could dress up in women’s clothes. Some people frowned on that. Or he liked to play with kids.

Taris swallowed. Was that what Kynier was doing with him? He didn’t think so but, maybe?

Kynier was talking again. “Advice?” Taris said. He shrugged. “Sure?”

He listened as Kynier spoke about taking control, how he should stop reacting and take what he wanted.

If only I had something I wanted, Taris thought. What he wanted more than anything else, he couldn’t have that. He could, but it wasn’t something he could steal or buy. It wasn’t even something he could touch. How can I take that when it doesn’t exist to take?

Of course, Kynier was speaking of things that could be touched. A house, food, a bed, money. Life on the streets hadn’t allowed Taris to do anything more than dream of those things, though. Or dream of the things he truly wanted. Anything more than what he had now, that was all a dream.

And, yet, Kynier was right. He hated living on the streets. Hated the ache of hunger, hated stealing and being chased, hated the constant threats of danger and pain and death. If he didn’t want that anymore, then he needed more in his life. He needed something to reach for. A desire, as Kynier said. A goal.

The barmaid returned with their food. Taris began eating at once, digging into the stew immediately. The steaming food burnt his tongue and the roof of his mouth, but Taris paid it no mind. He simply opened his mouth to let the heat out as he chewed. He tore the bread, dunked it in the stew and used it to shovel more into his mouth. After a few more bites he paused for a long pull on his ale. Setting it down, he returned to the stew and kept eating, chewing slower now that he had a bit of food in him, and blowing on each mouthful before putting it through his lips to boot.

He glanced at Kynier. The man had spread out the parchments from his parcel. Taris leaned forward to see what he was looking at. They were drawings, with boxes and squiggles, straight and curvy lines.

“What’s dat?” Taris asked around his food. “Dat a map? Looks like it…mm, could be in the Rotten Ruins.”
Taris Orlanith
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kynier on March 20th, 2019, 8:01 pm

It was difficult to judge how receptive Taris was of his advice, based solely off the young man’s facial expressions. Some serious consideration was being put to it from what Kynier could tell. However, Taris never commented, nor asked any questions about what the mage had just spoken of. He had already said a lot and couldn’t think of anything further to say. Doing so would only have been to fill the awkward silence that had settled afterwards. Perhaps his point had gotten across. There was no way of knowing though.

Kynier didn’t immediately dig into the meal when it was presented the way that Taris had. A laugh was repressed at the sight of Taris opening his mouth and exhaling the heat of the food he had quickly shoveled into his mouth. The amusement was apparent on his face before he struggled to get that back to a more neutral form. It was then that he had fanned the contents of the parcel out on the table. One hand twiddled the silver ring between his fingers, wondering what the ring’s significance was. The other lifted the spoon to stir the stew and help it cool a little faster as he pondered over this strange find.

His eyes rose up to Taris when he inquired about the maps. Not responding immediately, he considered Taris’ observation. So, they were both thinking that it was a map to a place around the Rotten Ruins. At least, one of them was. “I’m not sure,” he admitted as he set his eyes on the ring one last time. “My employer must have some sort of interest in whatever is happening at this location.” Kynier shifted the top map aside to look closer at the one underneath it. “But,” he said in a soft yet irritable mutter, “he never gives me any insight about it.”

After a chime or two, Kynier finally had a bite of the stew. Still warm, but a bit bland in its flavor, as well as a bit runny. The mystery meat that had used for it was overpowered by the vegetables they bothered to add. While he scrunched his nose disapprovingly, he took a second bite. “Still better than my own cooking.” Using a sip of ale as a chaser, Kynier returned his attention to the maps. “I’m fairly certain that this is the Rotten Ruins, like you said.” His fingers strummed the table top’s surface lightly. “Which means that this is in the Daggerhand’s territory.”

Kynier set the ring down on the table and rubbed the crest idlily with his thumb. Was the woman that he had stolen from part of the Night Eyes? There had been no idle gossip on what they were up to. The Sun’s Birth was currently working their usual charm on the Western Heights, and the Rotten Ruins were too far out of their reach. Was this a plot by someone else then? Another group that he hadn’t heard of, or just a small collective that had found something worth plundering? It was impossible to say.

Chewing on a bite of stew, Kynier considered what value there was in knowing this. It was possible that his employer was collecting information for someone else. Was Kynier retrieving this parcel in order for someone to plan a theft, or to prevent one? He was torn about what to do. It wasn’t supposed to be any of his business, despite it actually being his business. Curiosity nagged at him, almost to the point of restlessness. Even if he did go there, what was he going to do? Kynier returned the ring to his pocket and set the maps into a nice stack before continuing with his meal. After a moment’s thought, he did have one realization.

“What I should do,” he said loud enough for Taris to hear, “Is take this straight back to my employer. But what I want to do, is go and have a look at what these maps lead to.” Another mouthful of bad stew punctuated his statement. As bad of an idea as it might be, he was using Taris to bounce his thought process off of to determine what he was going to do. If investigating was the course that he chose, then he could probably add some more details to what the parcel had in his report.

Last edited by Kynier on April 7th, 2019, 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kynier
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Taris Orlanith on March 26th, 2019, 3:10 am

“Your employer?” Taris said. He remembered Kynier mentioning his employer before. “You said you steal for him. What sort of things does he have you steal? Maybe there’s something like that in…there.”

Taris glanced at the silver ring on the table between them. There was an image on the ring, but he wasn’t certain what it was. From his expression, Kynier looked just as confused by it.

He tore more bread from the loaf he had ordered and swept it through his stew. The stew had cooled now, but it was still plenty warm. He could feel the warmth spreading from his belly into his chest. It wasn’t a feeling he had all that often, most of the food he found being fruit, cold bread and cheese. Across from him, Kynier had begun to eat as well while he looked at the maps.

“Daggerhands?” Taris said.

He swallowed. He had always tried to stay out of the gangs’ strongholds. He wasn’t part of a gang and those areas were dangerous for him. Especially the Daggerhands territory. He didn’t want anything to do with those guys. And, yet...

No, he told himself. That’s stupid. Insane. Tairi will kill me if I did that.

He finished his stew and bread. His belly felt huge and ready to burst. Lifting his ale, he took long, slow drinks. His eyes had grown heavy by the time he lowered it. He rubbed his belly. The weight in his belly, the warmth spreading through him, he could go to sleep now. He’d sleep like the dead after this.

Fighting to stay awake, Taris forced his eyes open and sat forward in his chair. Kynier was still eating. He had put away his maps though.

“Why not?” Taris asked. “Would your employer know that you didn’t come straight back? Something else could have... I don’t know, come up. You know, like me.”

He grinned and winked at Kynier. Feeling more awake, he sat back again and said, “Or, you could tell him that it was harder to steal than you had thought. Really, what is he going to do? And, uh, well, I could help.”

Taris froze as soon as he said it. How had he said it? Those were thoughts he had been telling himself to not think about. It was, like, somebody, something had taken over his body and made him say the words. But they were out there now and how could he take them back? He could apologize, sure. Say he spoke too quickly and it was stupid to say. But, no. He couldn't. Kynier would think him more of a child than he already did.

I'm seventeen, dammit! he thought. Kynier was right. I don't want to do this for the rest of my life. I want more.

No, he had said it. He would not take it back. He didn't have a lot to offer but, sometimes, all you needed was a second pair of hands or a second set of eyes. A distraction. That stuff, he could do all of that.
Taris Orlanith
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets