Solo Witty Survival

Quzon learns Wilderness Survival from a master of the craft.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Witty Survival

Postby Quzon on July 15th, 2019, 10:29 pm

4th Day of Summer, 519 A.V.

Quzon awoke as the horizon was set ablaze by freshly formed sunbeams. It was the first time he'd gotten a full night of sleep since he decided not to wear his magical ring. He wasn't sure why, but he felt like his body needed a rest from being altered into a velispar. Or rather, he was starting to feel less attached to his body. He started to feel odd whenever he shifted his hip to expect a non-existent tail to sway behind him. It made Quzon wonder if Kelvics felt that same sensation when they were not animals.

Quzon thought about that as he moved from his bedroom to the common area that acted like his personal gym. Or rather, he was going to exercise until he heard the sounds of a cracking flame from outside his front door. Upon opening the door, he did not expect to find someone sitting outside his house. Quzon left the campfire area near his pitched tent unkindled, but it now seemed to be crackling as a woman sat boiling something in a kettle.

He stood watching the woman from within his door frame in silent disbelief.

it might have been the morning haze that kept the realization away for so long, but it suddenly dawned on him that it was the Mixed Blood woman known as Indigo.

“Need something?”

Image He asked in Myrian since he knew she could understand him while looking over the cooking tripod Indigo had set up. “No, I just found myself stopping here when passing through the area. I just got a few things from the Mercantile and felt like testing this kettle.” Quzon moved to sit down on the ground opposite of her with the campfire in between them.

“What are you making?” The Mixed Blood said with a raised brow as he watched Indigo drop fruit into the kettle. “Bael fruit tea. When mixed with water and combined with a bit of sweeter fruit. It can make for a pleasantly refreshing and tangy tea. I just felt like making some after finding them. Did you want some?” Quzon shook his head to decline the offer as she drank some from a wooden cup.

“If you would like to find some yourself, the trees that grow them have thick spiny growths.” Indigo held up two fruits she pulled from one of three overstuffed bags resting next to her. Quzon looked over the handles of tools protruding from one of them. The bags seemed to be filled with shovel, hammers, and man-made items far more durable then those naturally attained in the jungle.

His focus shifted back to the fruits only to realize that he could not tell what color that were due to his color blindness, so he had to memorize what they physically looked like. "What color are they and what does the inside look like?" Indigo canted her head at the question of their color. "They are clearly yellow. But green or near gray before peak ripening." They looked to be full of seeds once she opened one with a knife, then added it to the kettle.

The Half-Isur eventually accepted an offer of tea after a chime of talking talking to Indigo, even recalling to her how he'd become color blind. "They were living shadows like specters. Tainted beings I first thought were ghosts, but are corruption not of Akajia's creation." It did not take long before for the two Mixed Bloods diminished their morning tea supply.

Quzon helped collect most of her gear, then put out the camp fire by dumping some dirt onto it. “The tea was bittersweet, but good. Do you always travel with a tea pot?” Quzon asked in thanks as he walked her to the edge of his parcel of land. She paused for a moment before turning back to him while adjusting the pack she wore and hefting up the other two packs in each arm.

“Not always. I’m heading back into the Jungle to a temporary shelter I made. And Its best to only take into the jungle what you can carry out, and this is what I can carry out. I like the jungle, but luxuries can help to keep you, or anyone, sane when alone in the jungle. No matter how good you are at surviving in nature, you're nothing if you start going insane. That can only lead to panic. And panic is death in a survival situation. "

They both stopped on the shore to stare out towards the distant Swine Swells. He stared out towards the blackened ocean. It undulating darkness both beautiful and terrifying in the absence of color. Indigo saw how hard he was looking at the ocean and patted Quzon on the shoulder. "Don’t drink the salt water. Your body will thirst more rapidly as if you hadn't consumed it to begin with. Just stay in under the shade to keep from sweating, find fresh water if able."

Quzon glanced towards her as she started to walk away, resulting in him following after her. "I can create my own water, so no worries."

Word Count: 852
Last edited by Quzon on July 16th, 2019, 6:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Quzon
Victory & Power

Words: 271667
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2013, 11:30 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Witty Survival

Postby Quzon on July 15th, 2019, 10:48 pm

Quzon motioned a hand towards one of her packs as nodded at her sound advice. "Do you need help with those? How far away is your camp?" The Blooded-Myrian asked the woman as he watched her set one of them down. "Not far from here. Maybe two days journey north west of the second runoff lake of the Syka river passed the Sawmill." That statement actually shocked Quzon. "Two days?" Indigo nodded as she turned to glanced over her shoulder while adjusting a strap to one of the packs.

"You can come with me if you want. You might just learn what poisonous plants to avoid putting in tea. And you have to carry both of these.” Quzon accepted the offer with a nod as he lifted a hand up. "I offered to help, so I will not retract the favor. I just did not expect days of travel. I need to prepare for such an expedition." Quzon thought back to his Fang-mates when under Yolotli of The Changing Moon's command.

"The last time I was seriously in the jungle for that long I was still a Rekrut in the Army. I've not wandered far from the shore since coming to Syka. And when I have, I was in a ...form... incredibly well protected by scales." He made a small gesture to ask her to wait a moment, then returned to head into his cave dwelling. Indigo called out to him as he walked away.

"I should warn you. The Jungle is going to eat you alive like dressed that." He glanced over his shoulder at the Half-Dhani who looked like she was just as scantly as he. The difference between the two was that most of her skin appeared to be caked in various herbal pastes that acted like some sort of insect repellent.

It was clear that they were both Myrian to some degree. Each of them born with some an inherent tolerance to poisons their mother land offered. But her face was also coated in something to keep bugs off of her skin and away from stinging her eyes. The only signs of armor he could find were leather leg vambraces on her arms and the greaves she worn on her shins just over her leather boots.

The memories of nearly being eaten alive by insects when Quzon was younger flashed through his mind. Those caused him to put on his boots, vest, and hunter's hide before retrieving his backpack full of supplies. Once he returned to Indigo's side again, she noticed how his silhouette had become very Man-Bear like. "From Lizard-Beast to Bear-man.. "

She joked as the first time she met Quzon he was in the form of a Velispar. "You don't have scales anymore, so you'll need more protection than that hide. Look at your legs. They are hardly even protected. You should ask Uta what plants would make good bug repellent sometime. If all else fails, mud bath yourself to put a layer between your skin and the insects. However, since we are have time to prepare, you can just get some proper clothes at the Mercantile. Juli is awake. I was apparently her first customer of the morning. I can leave my things here and we can pick them back up on our way back from there."

Quzon waved off her suggestion as he held a hand out for each of her packs. "No need." It took him a moment, but he then put all of her things into his Bottomless backpack. It left Indigo only needing to carry one empty pack on her back. "Now that is... useful."

Word Count: 606
Quzon
Victory & Power

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Witty Survival

Postby Quzon on July 16th, 2019, 5:01 am

The trip from Sharktooth Point to the Syka Mercantile was an easy journey for the two Mixed Bloods. They were both greeted with a smile from Juli who did curiously glanced at Indigo. “I did not expect to see you back so soon.” She responded by motioning a hand towards Quzon. “Since he’s now coming with me, he needs to get properly dressed.”

Juli pointed towards the cloth the shop had to offer, which Quzon went to examine with a raised brow. “We only offer various cloths, if you want something made then I recommend seeking out the fire dancer, Rainmere Shantu. She’s incredibly skilled with a sewing needle. You should be able to find her dancing around the swings this time of day. If you can't find her, then we also have Insect repellent, Insect repelling candles, and insect netting on sell.”

Quzon’s eyes fell upon the various cloths he might need. He ran his hand over each of them to gauge their durability ti strictly following Indigo's suggestions as she spoke to him.

“Mosquitoes, Winged Leechs,Ya’Tago, ticks, along with other carnivorous insect will make you make miserable, and cause your moral to suffer. You’ll need a long-sleeved shirt, a layer under that, long pants that you’ll want to tuck into boots, some type of face wrap, and possibly a hat. You’ll also want gloves to keep your hands safe and to tuck the ends of your sleeves into.” Indigo paused before heading over to the shops kits and grabbing one of them. "And if you don't have a survival kit, get one. If you already have one, get another one. You never know when they will come in handy. Always plan ahead and prepare for the worst."

Quzon had no preference towards fashion given that he wandered around in a loincloth, so was going to pick up linen when Juli chimed in. “Isuas is a fabric grown only here in Sykan. If you are going into the jungle then it really is the only option in my eyes. Its moisture resistant along with being more durable and weighing lest than cotton..... Its that fabric right in front of you. Insect repellent is also to your left.”

The recommendation caused both Quzon and Indigo buy enough for pants and a long sleeved shirt to be made, before heading off to find Rainmere. They found her dancing with Stu while enjoying some breakfast at the Tidepool Bar.

The two Mixed Bloods requested the Fire Dancer's services, to which she agreed upon being paid. They watched as she set her own sewing kit on a table then got to work measuring each of them. Quzon found himself having another morning conversation with the early risen settlers, and waited at the Tidepool until the expert seamstress completed his clothing.

Ledger :
  • 4x. Whole Cloth of Isuas. 4gm/sq.yd.
  • 1x. Long sleeved Isuas shirt, 8gm.
  • 1x. Isuas pants, 8gms.
  • 4x. Insect Repellent, 4gm
  • 1x. Toolkit, Survival. 25 gm
  • Total: -49gms

It took a solid bell and a half for Rainmere to finish the requests. Quzon followed Indigo's example by wearing everything in layers. The Half Isur even decided to put on his rarely used undergarments under his loincloth which that he now wore under his new Isuas pants, finishing off the look by tucking the ends into his boots.

Quzon's upper body was just as layered since he decided to wear his leather vest under his new long sleeved Isuas shirt. To protect his hands, Quzon simply put on his steel gauntlets that he tucked the sleeves of his shirt into.

Indigo looked him over once they were all suited up. "Your face will still need some protection." Quzon responded to that by placing the bear head helmet attached to his hide onto his head, and put on the clear Laviku Mask he originally found alongside the Magical Tease when he first discovered his bottomless backpack. "I'll rub insect replant on my face under the mask when we are nearing the unexplored jungle."

Word Count: 628
Quzon
Victory & Power

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)