Solo Stringing It Along

Escape the rain for a night and enjoy a performance [Scholar's Demise]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Stringing It Along

Postby Pluckett on August 19th, 2019, 3:09 am

77 Summer 519

It was damp. Pluckett trudged her way up the road leading to the Scholar's Demise, gamba case on her back. During the day, she had marked down a rough song list to go through tonight.
The humidity was certainly not to be messed with. Thankfully, the night was cooler than the summer's day. Clouds had started to loom overhead during the dusk rest, and now they coated the sky. A single raindrop landed on her hand. Pluckett's pace increased before the inevitable shower would start. The sprinkles had increased by the time she made it. She hurried inside.
The heavy clouds overhead did hold a fair few patrons from showing up tonight. Pluckett made her way to the usual spot to prepare. A couple regulars in the crowd greeted her as she passed. While very few, if any, viewed her as the tavern's best musician, her regular appearances and slowly improving skills caused quite a few to at least recognize the gamba player. She gave polite nods to most, and usually a quick spoken greeting to any that had a habit of tossing a few coins her way.
The stool was where it always was. The alcohol flames bathed the area in a gentle light. Pluckett hefted the case from her back and sat down, carefulling placing the case on the ground before undoing the latches.
Her gamba, still worn and unpolished, was nestled in the very thin fabric interior. Notes and scraps of parachment were crammed into the crevices, some with performance notes, most with a few lines of music and lyrics. Some were songs, others were incomplete phrases of potential songs. She pulled the instrument out alongside the dated songlist that was nestled closest to the top.
Only half the songs she played had actual names. The ones with names often had names that only made sense in context or to those who studied music. "Rat-faced over-polite sailor" was not the subject of the song, but it existed to remind her of when she was first playing it.
A particularly hot summer in Zeltiva. Her mentor was sharing a song with her. Attracted by the sound at first and the presence of two young women second, a sailor strolled up to listen. As implied, his face was pointed and small, with beady eyes. Pluckett remembered the sweat matting his filthy hair. Despite the appearance, the man wasn't rude or pushy at all. After nearly any pause in the playing, he would give compliments to the women. These weren't songs, mind you, just some back-and-forth playing with melodies. He got discouraged and left not long after, seemingly upset the women didn't fawn over his constant "very good"s and "wonderful performance by wonderful girls"s.
That was the first song on the list.
It was a very breezy song, to counteract what had become a mild downpour outside. It didn't really tell a story. It set a mood.
The mood it set was pleasant and bright, a hopping melody with a lot of sweeps and lulls. Pluckett enjoyed playing it the whole way through nearly every time she did. It was a song from collaboration throughly. For every phrase, the response had a different tone, the different style of the other musician. It was a song best played as a duet, and even better improvised, but it still held its own as a solo. Nonetheless, it was light enough that it blended into the atmosphere of the bar well and seemed to turn minds from the rain and humidity from outside.
The crowd seemed to agree from the light applause they gave as the final note let off and her bow was pulled over beside her. She glanced down at the next song on the list.

Pluckett
If I cannot fly, let me sing.

Words: 37194
Joined roleplay: May 4th, 2019, 7:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Stringing It Along

Postby Pluckett on September 6th, 2019, 8:18 pm

The crowd's polite applause gave Pluckett time to survey her surroundings as well as prepare for the next song. The twist with this song was the added requirement of singing - something she wasn't as comfortable with. The song was a common one among dockworkers and sailors. It may or may not be known by the mountain and city dwellers, but if they knew the song they'd know joining in the singing was accepted.
She began playing. It was a bouncy sweeping sound, introducing the song. After the first phrase, she took a breath and began to sing.

"The storm! It brews!"
the sailors call
"The storm! It falls!"
on the open sea!

The deck gets washed
the rain's a-pourin'
the winds a-roarin'
on the open sea!

A few close patrons turned to watch her performance, showing interest. One man, a few drinks in from what Pluckett could tell, was swaying to the sound. She nodded at him in an attempt to brew some excitement. He nodded back with a toothy, drunken grin, taking another deep drink from his pitcher.

The lightning strikes!
The thunder blows!
The storm brings woes!
On the open sea!

"Wait it out,"
says the captain,
"The storms, they happen
on the open sea!"

The drunken listener had begun to mumble along the finishing line on the verse, recognizing the pattern. On the fourth verse, a woman joined in, smiling and blushing. Pluckett gave a bright smile in silent approval. Her voice wavered less, if only by a slight amount.

What is that sound?
The rain's a-patter
drops gettin' fatter
on the open sea!"

What will we do?
We can only wait
wait because we're only bait
on the open sea!

More joined in by this point, giving Pluckett more confidence. The five or so people who were gathered were cheerful and began to tap their feet as the instrumental portion arrived. The drunken man put his arm around the woman, who laughed, taking a sip of her drink.
These people weren't rough. They were clearly more refined, studious, city-dwelling citizens as opposed to laborers. Nonetheless, a fun song will lighten anybody's mood. The sound of rain on the windows didn't hurt, Pluckett thought. The listeners smiled and cheered.
The song's pace sped at this part, each phrase ending in a "whoa!" that the crowd joined in on. She could have sworn the people a little aways at a table gave a wave and a 'whoa' to join. The warm setting, good drink, and fun music took their minds from their work and woes. That was the goal of the busker; to lift spirits in the stormy night.

"The storm is ending!"
a worker shouts
all the sailors make their outs
on the open sea!

"Syna's back! We are safe!"
deckhands announce
at the storm's renounce
on the open sea!

The small crowd applauded as the song ended. Other patrons gave their usual polite clap. The drunk man gave a whoop. Pluckett straightened her back and gave a wave, bow in her hand, as she mentally prepared for the next song.

Pluckett

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Stringing It Along

Postby Pluckett on September 8th, 2019, 4:46 am

Pluckett's next song was another lyrical one, and quite goofy; it was often called "The Gloaty Tailor". She tapped her foot for a moment, smiled at the crowd, and put the bow to the strings.
The first note was sharp. The second was slow and wavering. She still hadn't mastered the art of trilling, and the trill came out a little choppy. No big deal. It then rocked into a toe-tapping rythm, and she took a deep breath and began to sing.

There was a tailor named Forlone,
he worked all night and day,
he toiled and foiled and stitched and sewn,
until the light had passed away.
A pair of pants, his pride was shown;
so mighty and strong were they!

The drunk man from before cheered. He had heard this song before, presumabley, and the woman was returning with another drink. Drink away, Pluckett thought. She wanted her music to inspire fun tonight despite the downpour outside. They toasted silently, and began drinking. The crowd was about five strong by now.

Forlone brought the pants to market
he offered them for loads;
"These pants! You'd never nark it,
they'll survive any poor roads!
Say, dear friend, wouldn't you mark it?"
He offers and shouts and goads.

The song took a dive here. A sinister note crept in, and her voice got low as she sang the next verse, as if it was a secret. Her voice wavered at an octave this low and took on a slight rasp; her range needed work. To her benefit, the crowd didn't care.

A wicked magician had heard the bragging-
tired and weary was he;
he made a curse to send him gagging,
the man Forlone to a degree.
The pants would be forever wagging
dancing and trotting they'd be!

The final line had her raising her voice, accented by a hard note, before diving into a danceable melody. The small crowd around her tapped their feet and clapped their hands. She pushed the tempo on accident - this part was fun to play fast, but she had to keep it even. She forced herself to slow.

It doesn't matter who had worn them! Hey!
They'll never stop if ya torn'em! Hey!
Poor Forlone, the lad - he didn't know!
The fate that became his blow! Hey!

Several faces in the crowd were stretched with smiles and laughter. She repeated the verse once more, letting a few voices join in.
"One more time!" She said, before diving into it with the listeners singing along. The small crowd's laughter and cheers filled the bar while the final notes hit.
A few polite claps from the other seated patrons, except for one. A lone woman, looking incredibly down, at the bar. She had a drink in front of her. Pluckett decided now was a good time to take her quick drink, and wandered over to the woman.

Pluckett

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Stringing It Along

Postby Pluckett on September 9th, 2019, 11:05 am

The woman at the bar had sensed Pluckett's approach. She turned and looked at the busker and did not oppose Pluckett taking a seat beside her.
"I'll have my usual, Aleah, please."
Her boss and barmaid nodded, and poured her a quick glass of white wine. Pluckett accepted it with a quick thanks. Aleah wasn't rushing around today as the bar was too empty to require a lot of attention. Pluckett turned her attention to the woman.
"I noticed you were looking down over here. Anything a stranger can help with?"
The woman shook her head. "Just worry. No need to be concerned." She took a sip of her drink, and added "nice songs."
It came as more of an acknowledgement rather than a serious compliment of skill. It wasn't taken offensively by Pluckett, who replied "Thanks."
The woman took another drink and put her head in her hands with a heavy sigh.
"You don't seem like it concerns you all that much, but surely you've heard about the murders?"
Pluckett recalled hearing a good bit of talk from students and mages. Not being particularly magical herself, she hadn't gotten involved in the talk, but she'd certainly heard of it. "I have. Are you a mage?"
The woman looked sullen. "I'm not. My husband is. I fear for him every day - I don't know why the murders are happening, and neither does he, and I'm so afraid he'll be... next..."
Her frown wavered, and Pluckett tenderly patted her shoulder. She took a drink, then tried to comfort the woman.
"I'm sure he will be fine. The important thing is to cherish what time you have with him, just in case."
This did not go over well. The woman shrugged her off.
"Are you married, dear?"
"I'm not, not at the moment."
"Then you can't understand my fear. This man has been by my side for many years. We travelled from Zeltiva together to Lhavit. Mages are being targeted, miss."
Pluckett nodded solemny and took a sip. "I'm so sorry. Hopefully the case is solved soon," she continued to finish her glass in silence.

This was the closest thing to a personal encounter with the events occouring in the city. Pluckett felt the weight of acknowledging that normal, everyday people were targeted and murdered, as well as prestigious members of society. Not a soul knew why, to top it off, there were theories - she'd heard them plenty at the bar. If she could find some way to help, by Leth, she'd do it.
She focused on the blue light in front of her. There was nothing she knew to do. Maybe ask around, or keep an eye out. If people who actually could investigate well hadn't seen anything, there was not a big chance she would, but she could try nonetheless.
She remembered the spiritist she had met earlier in the Summer. Madeira. The strange woman who had drawn her in with kind words and a kiss. She was a mage. Maybe she would know something to help. Pluckett became determined to help in whatever ways she could. To be some kind of hero, even, a detective. Her mind rested on this fantasy for a moment, before she brought herself back to reality. Either way, she'd keep an eye out for a chance to do her part for the city she'd come to love.

MemoAmount (Kina)Balance (Kina)
White Wine .20 48.8

Last edited by Pluckett on September 10th, 2019, 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pluckett

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Stringing It Along

Postby Pluckett on September 10th, 2019, 3:07 am

Pluckett finished the rest of her wine, then made her way back to her seat. She glanced over her music list, not feeling as enthusiastic as she was for the first part of the performance. She looked over the crowd, some noticing her return and smiling.
How could she play when there's a murderer afoot? People are dying, real people. She wondered how many in the crowd were in danger - how many were at risk in this mess? She stared at her song list and bit her lip.

"Where may my wife be?"

She couldn't play that, not today. Not after that. She quickly thumbed through her music book and past notes, finding something to replace it. She found a passable song and went for it.
The first note skipped like a rock on water, then moved into something more relaxing.

A woman I once knew
was a delightful young spirit,
she ran a whole mile
and while you could hear it

She'd run all along these
shores and all clear it,
when you saw her coming
you know she'd endear it

And while maybe
she can be a bit of a fool -
she'd always be right there,
right there right near it!

This song was shorter than she had thought.
A nonsesical song that just rhymed and sounded fun. It worked well enough, maybe. Most of the crowd didn't seem to hear, as the applause was scant. She had to do something, something that would finish the night off well.
She was going to improvise.
Which could go badly, could go well. She'd have to find out. First, a deep breath. Concentrate. It's just like when playing at home and doing warmups - just play.

She put bow to string. The first note was C. A normal starting note, very standard. Up or down? Up. Up two, up another two, and down four. Up two. Down four. Long note. Quarter rest.
It wasn't a practiced masterpiece, but the crowd wasn't reacting poorly. She kept going, adding more elements.
A middle phrase that repeated an octave higher, then back again, leading into the same but changed up a little. It went back to halfway through the intro, then rephrased a section, then finally approached the end, where she took it down and sliced it off quickly.
It wasn't recieved with any more praise than the last one. She sighed and decided that it wasn't worth trying again. Her energy was there, then it wasn't, and her playing suffered as a result. She put her gamba away, crestfallen.

She heard someone approaching. The man from earlier, just as drunk, alongside the woman who was dancing with him.
"Ma'am, your playing earlier was excellent," she said, "thank you."
Pluckett smiled and thanked her back as they walked away.
Earlier, but at least it was something. She hiked her gamba onto her back and left to go home.

Pluckett

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Stringing It Along

Postby Madeira Dusk on September 11th, 2019, 9:35 pm

Grades Awarded!

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request!

Pluckett

Skills
  • Planning: 1xp
  • Observation: 4xp
  • Socialization: 2xp
  • Play Musical Instrument- Gamba: 4xp
  • Composition: 2xp
  • Singing: 2xp
  • Persuasion: 2xp
  • Investigation: 1xp

Lores
  • Socialization: working a room
  • Music: setting a mood
  • Reminiscence: how song names came to be
  • Persuasion: encouraging smiles and glances
  • Lore of the difference between playing for scholars and sailors
  • Play Musical Instrument: trilling
  • Busking: fan favorites
  • Lore of the mage murders in Lhavit
  • Socialization: how not to comfort a stranger
  • Lore of reading the atmosphere
  • Musical Composition: improvisation

Awards & Retribution
+White Wine: -2jd

Notes
I really love how you describe music and the playing thereof. What could be a really dry, paint-by-numbers action becomes very... well, musical in your writing. You've also got me intrigued by that city plot you casually slipped into the thread- make me think your determined Pluckett is up to something!
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)