Completed [The Meraki] Precious Cargo

Kelski releases The Midnight Gem into her new Tower.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

[The Meraki] Precious Cargo

Postby Kelski on August 31st, 2019, 6:45 am

Timestamp: 65th of Fall 519 A.V.

Kelski cradled the backpack in her arms.

Its load was lighter in a manner that she appreciated. While its magic held its weight to fifteen pounds at any one given moment no matter how heavy she loaded it, currently it was all but unloaded. The Sea Eagle had already set up her equipment, inventory, and all the tools she was carrying into a makeshift gem cutter's space. Her gem retail inventory and her entire workshop that could fit through the mouth of the backpack was now removed from the pack and set up on the top floor of the tower. There were just two more items in the backpack, and they were considered Kelski's most important items ever.

Her children; The Midnight Gem herself and Barn her younger less developed Architectrix. She’d carried them in transition pieces along the sea from Sunberth to just outside of Zeltiva to the Wilderness where the Empyreal Demesne now existed. It was a windswept lonely place, but they’d been incredibly lucky to discover a tower on the property and from that tower, the rest of the manor would grow.

The Sea Eagle stood on the hearth stones of the first floor. They’d made extensive repairs to the tower, but it was still no incredibly fine shop and lovely interior like The Gem had been in the city they’d fled. Here, she would be somewhat run down and crumbling until she got her strength up to make her own repairs. Kelski had no idea how long that would be. Nor did she truthfully know exactly when the dock would be complete.

Plans for the boathouse were being drawn up but not manifested yet. They had to do more jobs, make coin, and be able to pay for such advancements. But once that happened, she’d be able to release Barn again and see if he did better near the sea where he wanted to be.

Kelski stroked the fine black dyed grain of her leather backpack, unfastened its flap-style lid and reached in. Her mind held the firm image of her daughter’s mantle board in it. The board came into her touch quickly. Then she pulled it up and out of the backpack, resting it across her knees. She ran her hand down the aged wood, polished over the years by youth and less by oil. Beside her on the table was a vial of oil and a rag. She laid the mantle piece down on the table and soaked the rag I oil. Then she began to rub the mantle plank, working oil into it.

She smoothed out the rough spots and carefully worked until she was satisfied with how the wood gleamed. Resting the flat of her hand on the mantel wood, Kelski dipped her head in prayer. She reached out to all the gods who had marked her, calling up their images and the way their eyes looked in her mind. She asked them for nothing but the safe transition of her djed daughter into what was going to be her new home; the tower.

She rose leaving the plank for a moment and walked to the hearth. She checked the brackets she’d affixed. Once, twice, three times… it would hold the mantle for many years and certainly long enough for her daughter’s awareness to flow outwards and infuse the old tower.

Gods… what luck was it to fid a building already build here? What unbelievably good luck. Kelski rested her hand on the hearthstones below where the mantle should be and gave her thanks… her deep heartfelt sincerity at the unbelievably nice gift the tower had been.
Last edited by Kelski on November 29th, 2019, 3:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Kelski on November 29th, 2019, 2:27 am

Then, after several long moments of touching, Kelski whirled and picked up the plank. She grunted with effort as she lifted it high, taller than she as, and set it in place over the brackets designed to hold it. She picked up her carpenter’s toolkit, further down the table, pulled forth six big nails and balancing on a stool she drove the nails into the brackets through the wood, securing the hearth plank down even against the worst storms.

Laying the tools aside, she spread her hands out on the wood and glanced up and all around. The tower felt cold, lifeless, empty. Every building had to an extent felt that way after her induction to Architectrix. The magic had ruined her for any sort of living otherwise. Buildings that had no life were just too dead for her. This tower was too dead for her.

Living in The Gem was different, more fulfilling, better for her mind than anything else could be. She was always filled with an awareness that she couldn’t shake… a peaceful loving awareness that wanted what was best for her. And what was best for her turned out to be the proper care and feeding of Architectrix’s.

Living with sentient magical buildings had helped hone her magic, settle her mind, and assisted her in moving forward. Living for others tended to be how Kelvics were originally designed. The care of the structures gave her something to fuss about. Sure, not all Kelvics bred true and some of them flat out hated their work, but by and large, the caregiver and protector positions kept Kelvics happy and healthy.

Kelski was no exception. Most of them, much like Kelski, had made terrible slaves even though the creatures that had escaped the Valterrian and the fall of Iron Rock were vastly different than those lab-created individuals from the Alizarin’s Project.

Kelski stepped back, admired the plank where it rested above the firebox, and then stretched her arms out to lay her hands on it. Then she closed her eyes, relaxed, and started taking deep breaths. She stretched out her awareness, trying to reach into the plank.

“Gem….” She called softly with her mental voice and her physical voice, her whisper soft and her voice infused with djed. “Gem… its time to wake.” Kelski whispered again, this time with more force. She waited, aware of the sliver in her inner arm, and then called again softly.

“Gem…. wake. We’re here.” She said again, more power pouring into her mental and physical voice. The ‘we’re here’ part wasn’t exactly accurate. She’d been there for a half season, trying to ready the tower and get it in shape to release The Gem into it.

Kelski focused her djed and tapped into her sight, augmenting it and activating her awareness. Auristics fueled her vision, granting her magesight and she studied the plank quietly, carefully, a fear starting to grow in her that she’d done something wrong… that The Gem hadn’t survived the transition.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kelski on November 29th, 2019, 2:28 am

At first, there was nothing…. no whisper of a sound or hint of life in the mantle plank. But as her awareness infused it – something she shouldn’t be able to do with a normal plank – there was something… a tinge of sentience, as if something deeply slumbering was slowly awakening. Kelski redoubled her efforts, sweat breaking out on her forehead.

She swiftly inhaled, pulled more power from her core, and infused all the strength she could into her voice. “Gem… come on… wake up. Don’t you want to see your new home?” She asked, her words dripping with power. She reached then as if her power were open arms and she was coaxing a child to her. Something became more aware, stretched out its awareness and from a tiny spark of something deep within the plank spread out. It was as if the plank came alive under Kelski’s hands.

Awareness of life exploded through the sliver that fueled her bond embedded deep into her arm. She felt the mantle plank come alive, almost as if it were exploding in her magesight, and sentience streamed from it, infusing the stone walls around her, streaking up and down the walls and growing and growing and growing. There was an almost tangible presence all around her that kept growing and growing and growing, spreading out through the walls, ceiling, floors, and crisscrossing to every crevice, nook, and cranny.

Watching the magic explode out of the plank was breathtaking. Kelski dropped her hands off the plank and stepped back, watching with her magesight and her inner awareness linked through the Arch splinter in her arm. It was as if the tower one moment was cold empty and lifeless. In the next, with all the power streaking around her, she could feel her daughter unfolding the mass that was her form and shape and infusing it into the stone of the tower and ‘stretching’ awake as her awareness came into clarity. Kelski felt tears fill her eyes and she opened her arms wide as if she could indeed hug the tower or draw it to her as if it were indeed a child of her flesh.

Kelski. Mother. What is this place? It drips with magic and is so much older, so much stronger than the whole structure. I feel its roots reaching far into the earth and it is climbing into the sky. Many mages have lived here before. I can taste the magic all around.

“It’s a tower. One we are going to make even bigger and turn into a corner structure of a far larger manor that will house all of us – the whole guild – and a stable besides. This is small now, only four stories, but we will craft it bigger with your help. Do you like it?” She asked carefully, not sure how aware her daughter really was nor how far she could sense.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kelski on November 29th, 2019, 2:29 am

There was a long pause in The Gem’s voice, though there was no pause in the sensation of magic stretching and threading all around her. The Gem grew bigger and bigger, blending into the structure itself, infusing its awareness and sentience throughout it. Kelski waited, greatly encouraged by the voice of The Midnight Gem, knowing that she’d be far more worried if the structure had greeted her with no words at all.

The sea is at my feet. The sky is close to my roof. I love it. It is the perfect place. I can grow here and there is no stench of smoke from a slag heap and no humans scurrying in misery all around us. Instead there are acres and acres of green forest on one side and a huge bay on the other. You picked well for us. You picked very well.

Kelski felt a wash of gratitude infuse her. It swelled up from the sliver in her arm and swirled around her awareness like a hug meant to give comfort and reassurance. She could feel The Midnight Gem’s enthusiasm to her new home, even though she’d only had a chime or two to explore it. Pleased, Kelski watched both with her normal eyesight and her magesight. The Gem spread and spread and spread until she was everywhere and no longer contained into the mantle plank.

My walls have plaster some places and it is cracked. Some of my wood is rotting. My stone crumbles places. We need lots of help, lots of magic, to set me to rights so I can grow.

With that, the hearth burst into flame without the presence of wood, though Kelski immediately went to feed the firewood to keep it alive. She smiled, pleased, even though The Gem was complaining. There was a reassurance in the complaints and a deep heartfelt thankfulness that she could be here to hear The Gem’s grumbling and that The Gem was here to grumble to begin with. She had seemingly made the trip without incidents.

“I’m glad you find it all to your liking. I’ll feed you as much Djed as I can. You’ll get stronger, and we’ll work on repairs quickly. Now that you are safely in the building, you can infuse it and decide which projects need to be completed first. We’ll make a priority list and get busy with it. I want you in top shape before winter hits – especially your walls and roof. And hopefully, we’ll have a stable up by then. At that point, we get the horses undercover, we can worry about linking them to your main body and layout the manor house which we can either build throughout the winter or start I the spring. I have… earth Reimancy now. I don’t know much about it since I haven’t explored it well, but we can speed up the process of repairs with magic like that at our disposal. And since you have fire Reimancy, you won’t have a problem heating all winter to keep us all safe.” Kelski said softly, smiling, pleased at herself.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kelski on November 29th, 2019, 2:32 am

She backed up a step, took a deep breath, and continued with what she was saying.

“I… I really missed you Gem. I wasn’t completely aware of how much I rely on you and how comforting you are. When I close my eyes to sleep, I know you are watching over me… all of us. While you were sleeping in transport, I didn’t sleep much. I missed you like crazy. I missed our long talks and our laughter and the stories we used to tell each other. No one can make up outrageous stories as you can. It’s just… it’s just really good to have you back.” Kelski said thoughtfully and blinked, wiping at the tears she wasn’t sure were necessary.

I would say I missed you too but I feel like you just put me in the plank. There was no sense of time passing. I think I might have been sleeping, something I’ve never felt before. Thank you… thank you for missing me and needing me as much as I need you.

Kelski blinked, this time tears falling freely, and walked over to the nearest wall and laid her hand on it. She let her essence blend with the magical essence newly infused in the wall and pushed djed into it, djed that was untasked but full of her emotions. She was relieved, grateful, and had missed The Gem horribly. She kept pushing djed into the walls, knowing it would feed The Gem’s ability to integrate into the tower faster and give her more strength to start her own repairs.

When Kelski grew exhausted, she took her hand away and walked to one of the couches. She curled up on it, pulled a blanket that was lying over its back on top of her, and closed her eyes. “I’m going to nap a bit. That took… a lot out of me. Can we tell stories when I wake up?” She asked hopefully. In many ways, Kelski was far older than her years. But she’d missed a childhood completely and by living vicariously in The Gem’s childhood – this awakening and growing – she was slowly recapturing something that she thought had been lost forever.

And because The Mage and The Arch Structure were so intimately linked, The Midnight gem knew all about her Kelski’s issues. And when she could, The Gem filled in some of those gaps – that missing time – with new time and new things that were fun even if they were childish. Kelski loved each and every one of them from story time to keep away to twenty questions and hide and seek. They both pretending such games were for The Gem, but deep down they all knew sometimes they were just as much for Kelski herself.

Count: 2529

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kelski on December 8th, 2019, 2:44 pm

G R A D E S
Kelski -

Construction +1, Architectrix +4, Meditation +1, Auristics +1

Architectrix: Moving and Installing an Architectrix To A New Location

PM me with questions or concerns.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)