Closed [ED] To Quicken Iron [Kelski]

Wa'Djinnabi teaches an unlikely student

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

[ED] To Quicken Iron [Kelski]

Postby Wa'Djinnabi on January 21st, 2020, 11:02 am

It was strange, a winter with no snow. Or at least, that was what Wa’Djinnabi re Ahnatep was told. Dawson often muttered under his breath about the unnaturalness of it all. He posited that it was doing something strange to the land and the animals, not being able to rest. But who wanted to be cold? Djinn certainly had no desire to see his breath and deal with what amounted to frozen rain. All snow did was put the growing things to sleep under a heavy blanket of snow. It was less time to grow and reap the fruits of one’s labor. And it all melted away anyways and turned the ground muddy and soggy which in turn go everywhere. As far as Djinn was concerned, let there be no winter at all. Eyktol got along fine without it after all.

Whatever the case may be, that fine winter day was characterized by an unnaturally long autumn. With a clear sky and a wind that tugged at the sea grasses along the bay and the fallen leaves among the tree line. The smell of salt was in the air and that late morning was full of the sea’s everliving battle with the shoreline, the great blue monster tugging at as much sand as it could to drag to the bottom of its hungry maw.

It was an excellent day to do some magic.

Seeing as it was a beautiful morning and the skies were clear he figured he would spend it on the beach. So he spent much of that morning hauling out his supplies. First came a folding table and chair. He really liked the mechanism, well, hinge on the table. It was very clever. Each leg pulled out and locked into a wooden groove that then became the support for that leg. He set up the table near the fire pit that he was introduced to when he first arrived at the Demesne. He returned to the tower, which through some unknowable magic was now sporting a sort of bud of its own in the form of a miniature tower. He imagined that it was some flexing of Kelski’s power. The kelvic was terrifying in that respect, with powers and skills that simply was beyond him.

When he left the tower next he had over his shoulder the alchemy circle that he created over the summer and only sparingly used. One of the problems of alchemy was that unless one had a good reason to make a material of wonder, it was simply too risky to casually use it. There were health risks that included, chiefly, dying a horrible death via explosion. However the wasting sickness that occasionally happened due to carelessness was not much better. Djinn was willing to take the risks however, but he was not willing to risk the lives of his friends. Hence the distance from the tower. Truthfully, he wanted to take the time to learn, or really, reverse engineer the methods his master used to make some of the amazing things that Djinn really only ever helped with. Sure he knew how to set up the circle and how to operate it, but not much else. He would need to relearn, experiment all the intricacies necessary to truly achieve anything of note. However, he did have one idea, and it involved an iron nail, a bowl of water and a shard of glass.

When he got back to the table with is circle and materials he set out the three identical bowls first. They were simple wooden things that would hopefully not interact with the circle while it was active. He set out the glass shard and the iron to one side and then pulled out a dagger to try and make some alterations to the bowl. His idea was to cut notches into the rim of the bowl to hold the wire. That way he had a way to get the water, and thus a fluid, to touch the wire. He would need two of the bowls to have notches to hold up the wire evenly. Which would work out for the best he figured. The third bowl would hold the nail which he intended to hammer into the bottom of the bowl just enough for it to peek out over the top such that it would be in line with the D-wire circle. And… if the reaction worked as intended, catch the resulting material without making a mess.

He was digging into the bowl with his dagger when he heard the sounds of feet crunch towards him in the sand. He turned to the sound with his head canted to one side, curiosity colouring his face as he peered at his visitor.

WC: 792
Wa'Djinnabi
Finding forgiveness among the weeds

Words: 90688
Joined roleplay: July 22nd, 2019, 8:59 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Kelski on February 11th, 2020, 2:43 am

Since her brother’s arrival and illness, Kelski had taken it upon herself to care give to his ship. She felt wholly guilty that The Dark of the Night had no Architectrix Mage to care for him. And since she made frequent trips out to Dock to care for him, listen, teach, and feed him Djed, it was next to no trouble to double the time and put Dark on her agenda too. The black ship was unusual. It had a wanderlust that being tied to the dock did nothing to sooth. However, it did have a clear view of the comings and goings through Matthew’s Bay and it had secondary and unexpectedly a bonus of another Architectrix for company. Dark was far older than Dock, and the ship kept itself occupied by mentoring the other budding young Architectrix. Kelski had started thinking of them as almost brothers, since they both had similar voices in their heads and similar interests.

Dark, however, liked the company of people and enjoyed having different individuals living on board – like a crew. He mourned the loss of the sailors he’d sheltered and missed Kalistan with an acute pain Kelski could not heal. Dock helped, and in return Dark helped Dock see the need for people and had sparked an interest in them for the Architectrix that was the Meraki’s anchor on the Matthew’s Bay.

Kelski worked with them both, spending time, interacting, feeding them Djed, and listening to their wants and needs. They, in turn, shared what they saw, what they wanted, and their hopes and dreams. Gem spent more time with Kelski, further advanced, but it was because she lived within The Gem’s structure. These two were outsiders in that, a situation Kelski was trying to remedy.

Do you like the one with multiple arms? Dark asked. Dock snickered, and Kelski could feel the two personalities swirling around her as she sat on Dock and had a hand on Dark where he was tied up to Dock.

“He’s Meraki. We are getting to know each other. Why do you ask?” She said curiously, tilting her head and looking between the two structures as if they were actual people. Her legs were hanging off the dock, feet bare, and she was contemplating a swim in the cool bay.

He’s messing around with magic. There is some sort of circle, and he’s dragging supplies down to the beach. Dark replied, flashing a visual into Kelski’s mind. Kelski rose immediately, shook her head to clear the image, and used her own eagle eyes to pinpoint Djinn on the beach.

“I’d better go check this out. I don’t know any magic that uses circles.” Kelski said softly. She glanced at the ship and patted the dock under her feet in a neat squat before she started walking up Dock’s length and heading up the beach towards Djinn.

It would be Animation, Alchemy, or Glyphing…. Dark supplied helpfully as Kelski left the two Architectrix’s behind. She tossed a ‘thanks’ over her shoulder as she broke into a curious jog and traversed the distance between where Dock and Dark were… to where Djinn had set up his circle.

Once there, she spoke quietly, trying not to openly disturb him. “I am not bothering you am I? I was just curious what you were doing. The two Architectrixs down the beach noticed you were doing something magical and told me about it.” She added, as a way of explanation.

Kelski was dressed in a loose set of leggings, a sleeveless tunic, and was barefoot with a braid that was loosened enough to free most of her hair. She looked like she’d been out running the beach or playing with one of the children that now frequented the Meraki. She offered Djinn a smile and looked thoughtfully at his circle, wondering what in the world it was for.

Word Count: 650
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Wa'Djinnabi on February 21st, 2020, 11:37 am

Wa’djinnabi turned mid-cut with his dagger when he spied his visitor. His eyes lit up and the corners of his mouth turned up and into a wide smile. “Ah, Kelski! Many greetings to you on this fine Winter today.” He paused to massage the words that she said into a sensible form of aurmenic before responding. “Do not worry my friend” He replied with wide gestures of his unoccupied arms, his other arms resuming to their work of carving into the bowl with overly careful and inexpert strokes. “I was.. ah, question, what is an Architectrix?” He said while interrupting himself with the stray thought. All these alchemy preparations were lighting a fire to his mind and making him distractible. He shook his head and continued on with his thought. “Many forgivenesses, you are just in time Kelski, today you have the chance to witness a simple but very great magic. Come come” He gestured her over to inspect his work and preparations.

With another grand gesture he pointed to the circle with his knife as he turned away from Kelski, “Perhaps you remember this wire from when we first met, hmm?” On the table were his bowls, one of which already contained his shard of glass. The other two were empty so far but a bucket of water rested near the leg of the table. The circle itself was likely of most interest. It was fairly unassuming, a thick cable of stiff copper wire about the diameter of a dish or plate that appeared to have an oily sheen from whatever treatment the wire had gone through. At either end were riverstones carved with arumenic glyphs set into the wire. It was obvious that the maker had no true knowledge over the workings of wires and setting stone into wire fittings. But through luck or simple logical deductions the riverstones were held in place by the tension. He turned his head back to the kelvic with a feverish grin, “I have taken time to turn it into an alchemical circle, or as my master named them ‘gates’”. He turned back to the construct with a complex expression. If he had better skills and materials he could have made it an excellent example of what alchemy was for his friend Kelski. But he worked with what he had, in materials, funds and his own meager skills. “Admittedly, it looks… simple.”

He paused, distracted by a cloud in the sky that made him wonder on the nature of the object. His racing thoughts ran down paths of composition and form. He idly wondered if once could create a cloud via alchemy, or use one through alchemy. His eyes drifted back to Kelski and her loose hair. Strands of it reminding him of the clouds. He blinked a moment before he realized that he hadn’t said anything too long and the kelvic was looking at him expectantly. Her eyes were so… focused, straight as a wire strung out to anything she chose to look at. It was a slightly unnerving gaze all told. He coughed and his smile returned with its typical full force.

“Tell me Kelski, would you care to assist me in performing a bit of alchemy?” He faltered for a moment, his smile sliding into a serious and intent look, “There is risk. It is why I am out here instead of in the Tower.”

My words

Their words
Wa'Djinnabi
Finding forgiveness among the weeds

Words: 90688
Joined roleplay: July 22nd, 2019, 8:59 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Kelski on February 26th, 2020, 3:24 am

Kelski tilted her head and offered Djinn a smile. “The Tower, The Dock, and even Kalistan’s Ship The Dark of the Night are alive. They are Architectrix… magical structures.” She explained thoughtfully, not realizing Djinn hadn’t known. “I talk to them, feed them Djed, teach them… Dark is the oldest. The other two are as children still.” Kelski added. Something strange had been happening with the structures lately, especially with the ship. But she wasn’t ready to think about it… not yet.

She’d started actually seeing them as people like she would see other people… two arms, two legs, a physical body beyond the structures they inhabited. At first she’d thought ghosts had moved in. But the truth was she’d recognized each of them… the two children and the tall man with midnight hair. She didn’t confess this to Djinn though. Instead, she said… “I created them. It’s a type of magic my family is good at.” She explained, then followed him at his invitation and looked over his work as he requested.

They were circles, unlike anything she’d ever seen. She glanced at the Dwire and nodded. “Djed Wire, right?” She asked, unsure if that was what he’d called it before. She paced around the plate, examining the rhinestones and the glyphs on them. She’d never seen anything like it.

“Gates to what?” She asked, tilting her head again, completely puzzled. “Simple? No it doesn’t look simple. It looks completely baffling to me.” She said, glancing back at the plate configuration and then up at Djinn. She tried to read the runes on the stones and nothing made sense to her.

“I’d like to help, sure. But Alchemy? What exactly is Alchemy?” She asked, having heard the term from Dark, but having no context of what it meant. She searched her memory and everything anyone had ever taught her or she’d learned about magic, but drew a blank.

“I don’t really have much of a magical education. The person that originally ‘taught’ me magic withheld a lot from me because he didn’t want me to learn what he knew… it was a sort of balance of power he didn’t want tipped in anyone’s favor but his own. So I don’t have any…. Real training… other than word of mouth and Gilthas. Gilthas teaches by letting me stretch my magical wings, not by shoving books at me and teaching me writing or circles laying out these kinds of things. It’s pretty… on an odd way.” She replied, looking thoughtful.

Then she quirked an eyebrow at him. “Risk? What kind of risk, Djinn? Overgiving?” She guessed, not having much experience with that sort of thing. She had rarely overgiven, the first time being in the battle for Dark and her brother’s life with the Drust. Kelski had been laid low for days afterwards. But the cost had been worth it, pushing her magic faster and harder than she’d ever done before to get the job done and to save her brother’s life.

Wisely, Kelski asked no more questions. She waited patiently for Djinn to explain exactly what Alchemy was and then explain the risks to her. It was only two questions, but she suspected it was two questions that packed a big punch. And she wanted to know just what he was doing and why it was so dangerous.
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)