Closed Friends in Unlikely Places (Crylon)

Ayela takes a trip to the Outpost for medical advice and makes a new and surprising friend along the way

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Herein lies Xyna's Outpost, and her gift to Mizahar's people. It is a magical place full of potential and possibility where all can gather and exchange ideas and commerce.

Moderator: Gossamer

Friends in Unlikely Places (Crylon)

Postby Ayela on July 30th, 2020, 3:07 pm

The woman at the Redynn introduced herself as Maurine and offered to take a chime or two to show them around. Ayela patiently listened with intrigue as she explained the rooms and the features. She led them next to a side door, instructing them that the garden was through there and she had to go take care of business. Crylon took the initiative and went through first, Ayela dutifully following him into the garden. It was large and abundant, with plants of all shapes and sizes and colors growing in its well tended soil. Ayela looked around in wonder, overwhelmed in the giddiest way. There were more plants in the business of healing than she'd anticipated. It was magnificent.

Crylon asked her if she knew any of the plants, mentioning that he didn't know much about plants himself. "Unfortunately my experience has been limited to salves and ointments that were already made, so I don't know the plants that are used for them yet. But it's marvelous isn't it? That every plant in this garden is somehow useful in healing the sick or wounded. Nature is incredible." She'd fallen into step beside him now, having done some meandering of her own up until that point. He asked more questions about Syka and what people did there and if they worked with metal at all. Noting his arm, Ayela realized that he likely worked with harder materials most of the time, like stone and metal. Boy was she about to puzzle his mind. "There are some builders in the community, but there is no stone or metal in the buildings. People largely fish and transport things by boat. There is a forge, but it's for nails and fasteners and chains and things like that. Smaller items."

They'd come around now to the doorway again, Ayela taking the initiative this time and leading them back through into the main building. She proceeded slowly, looking around for Maurine but not finding her anywhere. She must still be busy. Turning to her companion, she inquired after the next part of their day. "It seems Maurine is still busy. Why don't we take our leave and see what else we can get into?" If he agreed, Ayela would lead them back outside, turning again to him once they were on the main pathway. "Is there anything you need to take care of or do here in the Outpost? I'll happily help you with whatever you need if I can since you helped me."
Ayela
Player

Words: 37046
Joined roleplay: May 17th, 2020, 6:03 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Crylon Stonecraft on August 1st, 2020, 12:04 am

Crylon had been figuring, what with the Konti mentioning her interest in medical care, that she would know of plants related to the task. And so he was a bit surprised to find out the woman knew little more than he did about them.

A little surprised, but not overly upset. Being an Isur he had a strong body. He could not recall breaking a bone in his entire life, not uncommon for an Isur. In fact he had rarely gotten scratched or bruised enough to leave a lasting mark beyond a few days, let alone to draw blood. A few singes in the forge, but nothing bad.

But then, he had never really gotten into a proper fight as he then realized, or done too many things to dangerous, so perhaps that was also a factor beyond the Isur's inherent sturdiness and thick skin. Regardless, he had never had much of an interest in such things, but could understand why the Konti would be from her own description of her people.

“Really? Mmm.... Is thought, since interest, care of body, would know of things like plant for. Maybe is could ask other, if want know. Is think, Meraki Riadd, has garden. Not sure what plant there though. Not much thought, about types. But make sense if here, for take care hurt.”

At her explanation of Syka, Crylon shrugged while continuing to putter about the garden.

“I also do, nails, things. Smithing, many things. Not just big. All if make, build, what use not matter. Have used metal. Stone. Also wood. Build is build, just different. If use wood, have mill for work wood? We have, at Demesne. Run by woman, Sona.”

Pausing for a moment, something else the woman had said occurred to him spurring him to ask a further question.

“If have forge, is have smithy work there already? Have... Full time person? Know of them, person who do? Or not have person just do smith?”

At the mention of leaving, and where to go to next, Crylon spent a few moments in thought before responding. He did not have anywhere specific he needed to go, but it never hurt to go to the market. Or as the locals called it...

“Could go, look Bazaar. Is... Market place. Have any thing. Big. Could look there. Is also, if not here fore, good place look. Would like go, I can show?”

If the Konti accepted Crylon's proposal, he would spend a chime or so orienting himself once more. The first step in navigating, figuring out where you were.

They were here. The entrance was... There... And from there the market was... There.

“Is this way, can show if follow.”

As they walked, Crylon continued on the same vein as before, asking about Syka. He was intertested in the city, in relation to Ines and also in its nature as a newly budding settlement.

“Is have place close, to Syka? Trade? Get things? Is say, is small place. New. So where get things from, not make? Close by, water, or land?”
Crylon Stonecraft
Player

Words: 679695
Joined roleplay: June 2nd, 2018, 4:26 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Thread (2) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Ayela on August 5th, 2020, 2:50 pm

Crylon mentioned that he would've thought she'd known more of the plants used for healing since caring for wounds was something she'd expressed interest in. Admittedly he was right. Feeling a little sheepish, Ayela shrugged her shoulders at the Isur. "You're right. I should know more about them if I have any interest in healing, but I've only ever healed basic hurts, and my Mark allows me to do that without the knowledge of mixing medicines and using plants. Something I will have to remedy one day if I want to be better."

He responded then about smithing smaller items as well and his experience building with different materials. He asked if Syka has a sawmill, to which Ayela eagerly replied. "We do have a sawmill for wood. Basically the central hub for getting the buildings built in the settlement. I have a friend who uses his ship to help transport the wood too to different parts of the area." In response to his question about a smithy, Ayela responded the best she knew. "We do have a person that maintains the forge and just does smithing. The forge is public and open to anyone, but the guy that does smithing, "Artik" I think his name is, is always around up there to help or teach."

At her suggestion of going elsewhere, he mentioned the Bazaar, a large market place of many kinds of things. He offered once again to show her the way if she followed him, and nodding, that's exactly what Ayela did. She stayed beside him but ever so lightly back so she did not get in his way or lose him if he turned. It wasn't late in the day, but Ayela was surprised to see how much time had actually passed since her arrival. They spent longer locating and exploring the Redynn than she had thought. Not that it mattered, she had no other plans that day that she was aware of, unless she was forgetting something.

He asked more questions about Syka, clearly interested in the settlement. "We have a ship that comes through twice a season for trade, and I believe some trading is done here at the Outpost as well if I'm not mistaken. Anything else is made by the citizens." Pondering a moment, she remembered he mentioned knowing someone from Syka. "Have you been able to visit Syka yet? You said something about knowing someone from there. If possible, a visit to the settlement would likely prove fruitful for you."
Ayela
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Crylon Stonecraft on August 6th, 2020, 1:07 am

With a small smile Crylon turned to the Konti, acknowledging her words.

“I also... Same guilt of. Many things, of build, make, mean do. Not yet do. Hope, in time do. But is careful, not put too long.”

He was not surprised to hear Syka had its own sawmill. All of the descriptions he had heard of it said it was a newly burgeoning city, which meant construction. And a sawmill, when ample wood was accessible, meant easier supplies than importing all of their lumber.

“Is not surprise, if new place. In forest, have wood, just need... Process. With metal, simple thing, any do, but yes if want more need one better know. I smith, and other. But also smith.”

Focusing on their route Crylon took them around a few turns, growing nearer to the Bazaar. He did not doubt the woman would be surprised by it, the place was seemingly endless. One could easily spend an entire day or days just wandering among it, and not see every booth. Finding it was rather easy due to its size.

It was, fairly said, the largest singular market Crylon had seen. Though it was not totally uniform, with chunks of different things in different areas which gave it some semblance of order. Just not one Crylon understood.

The next bit of the Konti's speech proved somewhat confusing to Crylon. He was unsure if this was due to how it was said, what the woman said, or the language barrier. While he was growing more skilled in common, he still had much to learn.

They had a regular trade ship that visited twice a season, though that did not tell him how far Syka was from the other city. If it was the same ship, going there, back, and there again, possibly there and back twice each, then it could not surely be more than a quarter season travel... Some simple math then... Ninety, in half was forty five, in half was... Twenty two, twenty three. Possibly closer though, since that was only the max distance. It could be, he noted to himself, closer, such as if the merchant ship did not travel as often as it could.

“Have not been, city self. I meet person here, in Outpost. She spoke of place came from. Is ask about place close to afore, so could tell where at. Not know, Syka at. Just know on coast. But need.... Uh... Reference. If want know where is. Is have place close to Syka? How far? Is not say, when ask fore, just say boat twice season.”

The last bit though, seemed the most confusing to Crylon.

“Not sure what mean. Fruitful visit. Is... Fruit plant, mean ready harvest. So think good. But... Not know, what way. Mean... Have thing would want, so should go? Or Would be able to do there, things? Or Syka have use, for own talent there, so want? Talent, of make, build? Not sure what mean, what way. Fruiting.”

Within another chime or so, Crylon and Ayela would come into range of the bazaar, visible due to its size as soon as one turned onto the correct road which led to it.

Holding up a hand as if presenting something, Crylon motioned before them.

“Is place. Bazaar. Great market, of Outpost. Have... Everything.”
Crylon Stonecraft
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Ayela on August 16th, 2020, 4:19 am

Crylon struggled with the last set of statements she'd made, Ayela feeling terrible for confusing him. Drat. She'd been doing reasonably well with their language barrier thus far and she felt like she'd suddenly messed it all up. Determined to fix her mistake and do better, she attempted again to convey Syka's location to the Isur. "Sorry for the confusion. Umm... I believe, Syka is two days travel from Riverfall, and Riverfall is eighty-two days travel from Zeltiva, by sea. Know nothing of travel over land. I don't know how to say another way. I'm sorry. I hope that helps."

He was next stumped on her use of the word fruitful, Ayela dropping the ball a second time on the language barrier between them. Griping at herself internally, Ayela tried again. "A fruitful visit means the visit would be productive or of benefit to you. You could see new place with own eyes, use your talents, learn new experiences, see your friend again. Enjoy it there."

A few moments later, they rounded a corner and Ayela could see the Bazaar. Even from a distance she could tell it was absolutely massive, stretching as far as she could see. Her eyes grew wide with wonder, her mouth gaping open in awe. The Bazaar was intimidating to behold, bustling with tons of people moving to and fro among the booths. It's sheer size and obvious complexity made Ayela quite glad she was there with someone and not wandering alone. She'd get lost for sure.

As they neared its edge, Ayela had to work hard to keep her attention focused on her companion for her eyes were drawn to this booth and that booth, excitedly taking in the sights and diversity around her. However, she really didn't want to get lost so she remained in close proximity to Crylon. From what she could see, the Bazaar seemed to be grouped in sections so wandering to and from didn't seem too difficult to do. "This place is huge! Is it always like this?"
Ayela
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Crylon Stonecraft on August 23rd, 2020, 7:23 pm

The more Crylon grasped common, the more he came to realize how limiting it was. In the tongue of the Isur, a language built for craftsman, it was possible to be much more specific and exacting. Such was needed when designing or explaining a building.

In common though, there were often many more ambiguities by the nature of the language. One phrase could mean many, and it was not always clear which was meant. Or perhaps more than one, but not all. And if anything this was made worse by his less than perfect grasp of the language.

He was once more met by the melancholy thought that if all learned the Isur tongue, things would be so much simpler and clearer.

Trying to explain his confusion a bit, Crylon expanded on his earlier words.

“Tongue... Language. Of Isur. Is... Much precise. Compare common. One thing, mean many thing in common. If speak in own tongue could... Say point at wall full of many different swords, and easy explain certain one mean. Describe. So is use common, sometime... Hard know what mean, even if use well. Not precise.”

He had vaguely heard of Riverfall, not sure if he had been there before but fairly certain it was a major city. A two days travel though by boat was quite a short travel time. It would likely be much easier to ascertain Riverfalls location and go there if he did decide to go to Syka.

Going by sea from Zeltiva to Riverfall was... eighty two days. But then, perhaps in that respect going by land would be quicker? Cutting across the land to say Syliras, and then onward? He was unsure, but perhaps if he could find a good map he could figure it out. Being on the east coast though, Riverfall was clearly west, which would take him to Syliras by land from Zeltiva.

Nodding at her words, Crylon indicated he understood.

“Understand. You meant... General, fruitful, not specific. Is think, anything specific, Syka need do? You say have smith. If go there, think anything need do there Crylon do? If think on go there, would need thing do, yes?”

As they approached Crylon watched the surprise on Ayela's face at seeing the Bazaar. It was quite a big place, and somewhat surprising the first time one saw it. He had come to accept it as it was, but that had taken a visit or two even for an Isur who was relatively calm and tended to take most things in his own stride.

“Yes, is big. Always big. Always come, see is as. Place, Outpost, is all about trade. So... Make sense, have big market, yes? Is think could get bout anything here. If want.”

As Crylon finished speaking a dog suddenly started barking loudly, leading to another barking after that. Apparently they had entered near some kind of... Pet shop, or something similar, though mainly with dogs. One had some of the biggest ears he had ever seen, but he was not sure what kind it was. After looking for a few moments at the hounds Crylon turned back to Ayela.

“Is want find anything, specific? If do, just ask. Guard people, give good direction.”

If Ayela did not have anything specific in mind Crylon would choose a direction at random and start them off walking.
Crylon Stonecraft
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Ayela on August 25th, 2020, 1:53 pm

Continuing to follow Crylon, Ayela stayed near him as they made their way over to a nearby booth with dogs. They were yapping excitedly with all the hustle and bustle of the Bazaar. All shapes and sizes, every one of them vied for attention from the passing people. Seeing them struck a chord with Ayela that she did not expect. A pang of loneliness surged through her, taking her completely off guard. It wasn't a feeling she was accustomed to.

She'd always had her family on Mura, and then she'd had her father and the Svefra once she'd left Mura. Once landing in Syka, Ayela had made a friend immediately after stepping off the ship, so there had never been any void to fill for companionship in her life. Now that she was settled though, it was beginning to dawn on her that she would be living alone unless she constantly set out to find someone to spend time with. The realization was a bit jarring, though Ayela kept her composure fairly well and kept her thoughts to herself in that moment.

While inspecting the hounds, Crylon asked if Ayela needed to look for anything specific or not. Shaking her head no, she turned to follow him when he began walking. "Nothing specific this time. Just looking first." The sights of the Bazaar continued to surprise Ayela as they walked along, her mind still racing to wrap itself around the entire ordeal. So very many booths in one area was overwhelming to behold. Ayela wholeheartedly believed that Crylon was right and that one really could get anything they wanted here in this Bazaar. Animals, weapons, armor, decor, building materials, food, dyes, fabrics, etc. The list went on and on with each booth they passed.

Making a mental note to absolutely come back another day to shop, Ayela turned to her companion. "Do you need find anything specific? After Bazaar, maybe grab drink before I go back Syka?" While it wasn't particularly late in the day or anything, Ayela did have a few things back home that she'd need to take care of before the day grew darker, so no matter how much she was enjoying herself in the Outpost, she couldn't stay too much longer. Thankfully it was easy to get to so she could come back.
Ayela
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Crylon Stonecraft on August 28th, 2020, 9:12 pm

Crylon nodded at her reply, understanding she had not come to the outpost for anything specific. Just to look around and search, much as he had done on other visits he had made.

“Came for time, writing place, of books. Uh.... Library? Came fore, gave way book with notes made afore. Could use new, to make notes new. Could go get new now. Drink after fine.”

Locating one of the nearby and ever present oddly dressed guards whose name Crylon had forgotten, Crylon asked for directions.

“Excuse. Need find place sell writing things. Paper. Parchment. Things. Know where?”

The oddly dressed woman nodded and gave Crylon some simple directions. A left at the next booth, then three rows before taking a right, then five rows and they would be there. Reading the directions over in his mind a few times to make sure he remembered them, Crylon headed off with Ayela in tow.

As they walked Crylon asked another question, of which he had a endless number it would seem. Or more technically, he re asked a question he had asked before, yet again. He was starting to wonder if the Konti had hearing problems, or maybe just had trouble paying attention or maybe remembering things.

“So not answer fore. Other question. Say have smith at Syka. Think have other thing do, job, Syka need Crylon do there? If came? If wont make long trip, need know what do if came, important thing. If not know, maybe ask? Could meet nother time, tell then?”

Continuing to talk to Ayeala as they walked along, Crylon made his way to the directed spot, making a left, then a right, then walking, and finding himself in a section with many items for writing in or with.

Looking over a few he located one with paper and such, until he found one with blank leather bound paper. Flipping through a few under the watchful eye of the stallholder Crylon found they were all blank. And also not hollow, as he had run into in Sunberth. Finally he picked one at semi-random, feeling the weight as he picked it up, before handing over three gold mizas he pulled at random out of his seemingly normal pack. All he had to do was focus on pulling out the money, reach inside, and pull them out. He had acquired the pack awhile back, and so using it had become relatively simple.

Assuming Ayela did not need to make any purchases, in which case Crylon would wait, he began heading back the direction they had come from.

“Now just need find guard person, can ask where find place sell drink. Why not you ask, is thing need learn do if come lone here. Just find one, city guard, of outpost, and they can tell. Then I follow you.”
Purchase :
>Book, Blank (brown leather cover)- 3gm

Crylon Stonecraft
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Ayela on September 5th, 2020, 1:29 pm

Crylon mentioned the materials he needed to purchase and asked for directions, Ayela promptly following him. As they walked, he asked her a question, re-asked rather, Ayela realizing she'd missed it in earlier conversation. Feeling awful for inadvertently giving him the runaround, she remedied the situation. "Oh my goodness... I'm so sorry I missed your question before. I will definitely ask for you and tell you another time." It wasn't long before they reached the area they'd been looking for. Waiting patiently while Crylon shopped, Ayela stood off to the side, careful not to knock anything over or be in anyone's way.

Once his purchase was complete, the pair began walking back the way they'd come, Crylon suggestion Ayela ask for directions next. Happy to oblige, she found the nearest guard. "Excuse me, could you point us in the direction of a drink establishment please?" The guard gave her some directions, straight to the next turn and then go right, follow that down to another turn and go left, and then straight until you emerge at the main pathway of the Outpost. The location was just down the way from there. Thanking the guard, Ayela set off with Crylon in tow this time, carefully following the instructions she'd received.

A few chimes later, they'd made it out and onto the main street. Happy to have some relief from the compact shopping area, Ayela breathed a contented sigh and started making her way down the street. Turning to Crylon while they walked, she asked him a question this time. "So Crylon, do you have family at home?" A few moments later, they'd encountered a place called "Light Up the Night". Remembering the guard having said the name of the place, Ayela knew this was it. Leading them inside, Ayela's mouth dropped open at the wonder of the place. The decor inside was absolutely gorgeous and inviting and warm. Seating was spread out in areas clearly designed with conversation in mind. Choosing seating relatively near to the bar, Ayela went ahead and sat down. A man promptly came over to greet them and get their order. "I'll have a small of whatever your drink special is today." Ayela's order in, the man turned to Crylon next to see what he would like.
Ayela
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Crylon Stonecraft on September 7th, 2020, 10:22 pm

Crylon patted at the air as the woman spoke, trying to make it clear she was overly worrying about nothing.

“Is kay. Common, not first tongue. Is make take, extra care stand say. But is happen, not sense make. Is want, could meet next season, and talk bout? If not know now.”

Once he had made his purchases Crylon watched as Ayela got directions, following along after once she did. She seemed to do decently enough at querying for information, which was his intent. She would not likely always have him around when she had questions or needed to find a place. As he had been told as a youth by his parents back in Sultros, better to take the time to teach someone to forge than to forge for them when they needed it.

As they walked Ayela took a chance to query Crylon, a question he had to ponder for a moment. How to answer? What was his answer? Then, as usual, he had to change those thoughts and words he had decided upon into common. A long process which made his response take even longer.

“Place call home now, not family, as... Not blood. But is own people. With group, call Meraki. Family, blood people, back Sultros. City of Isur. What you, of family? Where at, from?”

Once they arrived at the bar Crylon followed Ayela inside, taking a few moments to look around. The konti seemed fairly more impressed than Crylon, but then being an Isur of Sultros he had seen some truly fantastical works of architecture, design, and furbishing. This was admittedly good for a human place, but not so fancy as some. But still nice, and enough to suit their needs.

As the barman arrived Crylon made his order quite simply, using one word.
“Ale.”

One word orders were much simpler to manage in common, and he did not doubt than most any bar would have ale. It was also a relatively weak drink, not enough to get him buzzed really let alone get drunk, and getting drunk and losing control was not something he really did.

Once their orders were in Crylon turned to Ayela, returning to their earlier conversation. Once they had sat down he had placed the purchased book on the table, and he now moved his hand over in to feel the cover.

“So, is want meet next season? When want meet? Could meet here, go else after. Since both know where at. Talk more then.”

Once his drink arrived Crylon would take a long pull to wet his throat, before taking smaller sips afterward.
Crylon Stonecraft
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

PreviousNext