Completed Catch A Falling Star & Put It In Your Pocket III

Tazrae stays up all night on her birthday.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Catch A Falling Star & Put It In Your Pocket III

Postby Tazrae on January 3rd, 2021, 6:58 am

Timestamp: 21st of Winter, 520 A.V.

Continued From: Catch A Falling Star & Put It In Your Pocket II

Riding an Ixam was a kind of freedom Tazrae would be hard pressed to describe. The creatures did not take straight routes anywhere. Instead, they darted to and fro, up upon rocks, across deadfall, down through wet places, sometimes running flat out on the sand, but often taking to the thick jungle just inside the shoreline because they felt more at ease. Bree was no exception, so when Tazrae rode her, she had to not only concentrate on not falling off, but also in not falling prey to gravity. It was a whirlwind of joyous movement that Taz would not trade for any horse in the world.

Periodically Bree would halt briefly, sniff the air, flick out her tongue a time or two, then dart off again. Both she and Tazrae had seen the falling spark, and knew its general direction, but Bree seemed to smell it as well. “Can you really scent it that well?” Taz asked, curious.

Bree shook her head. “No… it’s a taste in the air. Its like… a metallic taste. I can’t describe it… for its not like another taste that’s normally in the air here. I can still see the glow… but the taste… fills the air too. It’s not the object itself. It’s almost as if its travel from the sky to the ground created a smell.” The Ixam said thoughtfully to her mistress as the pair worked their way from The Protea’s beach northward towards Sharktooth Point.

Actually, riding a sentient Ixam didn’t involve much more than balancing. Taz didn’t have Bree’s saddle on so all she could do was grip the lizard with her inner thighs and work on keeping her balance so Bree didn’t have to move awkwardly to help the human perched on her back remain astride. But by the Gods was Bree smooth. Taz hadn’t yet been jarred by the Ixam or even really got sore. So the travel up the coast from the Inn to the sight of the falling spark was swift, comfortable, and took almost no time.

Bree approached the glow where it nestled among the rocks at Sharktooth Point with caution. Tazrae slid down her shoulder as they drew close so the two of them could walk side by side as they closed on the item. The pair had to scramble up several rocks before they saw the ‘spark’ resting between two boulders, smoking slightly. It didn’t appear to be hot, but the contrast from where it had just been to where it was now had decidedly affected it. Both females walked up cautiously, Taz studying it carefully as Bree peered at it first with one eye then the other, tilting her head back and forth.

Taz knelt by it, waved her hand over it, and then gingerly set about tapping it cautiously with her index finger to see if it was hot. It was warm… but not to warm to pick up. She held it up to Bree who tilted her head first to one side then the other, examining it with each eye then flicking out her tongue to taste the air around it.
"A mark of an open mind is being more committed to your curiosity than your conviction.
The goal of learning is not to shield old views against new facts, but to revise old views with new facts.
Ideas are possibilities to explore, not certainties to defend."

Garden Beach Syka The Protea Inn

"Listen to the wind, it talks. Listen to the silence, it speaks. Listen to your heart, it knows."
Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Words: 1916653
Joined roleplay: May 3rd, 2020, 2:02 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syka Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Tazrae on January 3rd, 2021, 7:06 am

“The glow its giving off is beautiful.” Tazrae said thoughtfully. “Indoors it would light up an entire room.” She said after a moment. “I wonder if it will keep its glow.” She mused, then carefully remounted Bree. “Let’s get back to Duncan and show him.” She added. The Ixam dipped a shoulder which helped Taz jump up on her and the pair turned to retrace their steps back. The only difference was that the sky was bright enough with Syna’s rising that the pair could easily see without Bree’s night vision. Tazrae enjoyed the ride then, with their small mission accomplished and they were back to Duncan within a quarter of a bell.

Taz slide off Bree’s bare back and approached the mage, folding her legs and taking a seat on the sand at his feet. He was perched on her former seat – an old driftwood log – before a well-established bonfire opposite of the open spot she and Bree had shared prior to Duncan’s arrival. He’d fed the fire while the two females were gone. Taz leaned back against the wood, using it as a backrest, then pulled out the item she and Bree had retrieved. It was larger than her fist and looked to be made of transparent crystal that refracted the morning sun swirling out rainbows throughout the little camp. It still glowed, though under the sun’s light, its glow appeared muted. “We found it.” Tazrae said simply. Then she reached up and set it on Duncan’s knee, holding it a moment so he could take it.

“I don’t need my eyes to know what this is. It’s glowing right?” He added.

“Yes… brightly. Though it looks muted now that Syna is out and its daylight.” Tazrae observed. Bree snorted and the log rocked slightly as the Ixam settled on the other side of it, flopping against the worn wood. She didn’t need the fire to warm cold-blooded body as Syna was climbing into the sky now which would be heat enough for the lizard. “So, what is it?” She added. Bree snorted her agreement with the question and laid her nose out on the driftwood mass beside Duncan… just in case he wanted to scratch an eye ridge or rub her neck.

“Luck. It’s pure luck. People find these things throughout history and they usually are kept passed down in families and only sold at exorbitant prices in times of need.” He said as an introduction to what Tazrae had come to recognize as one of Duncan’s lectures. “I knew a Lia one time that had one. Their pod had sacred rituals designed around them.” He added, then turned towards Tazrae, the crystalline object of their discussion held up in his hand. His eyes had an odd glow to them so Tazrae knew he must be using his Auristics. “I’ve never held one though.” He added, almost as an afterthought.

“Birthday luck I supposed?” Tazrae said with a grin, then leaned on Duncan’s leg. She rested her head tiredly on his knee, knowing she would have to depart soon to put together breakfast for her rather full house and get on with the day’s duties. Time with him was precious though, and she was reluctant to leave. And for all that Duncan was a wise man, he spun yarns as good as any of his fellow Svefra so she had no idea if the story she sensed was coming would be true or not. “Tell me what it is called… does it do anything but glow?” She asked, knowing that was far more than enough.
"A mark of an open mind is being more committed to your curiosity than your conviction.
The goal of learning is not to shield old views against new facts, but to revise old views with new facts.

"Listen to the wind, it talks. Listen to the silence, it speaks. Listen to your heart, it knows."
Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Tazrae on January 3rd, 2021, 7:09 am

Duncan furrowed his brow and smiled slowly. With his free hand he reached down and traced Tazrae’s hairline, avoiding trying to actually draw his hand through her hair. It was tangled in its usual fashion and would prove resistant. “They are called Twilight Stars. The ones I know about all have been on Mizahar a long time. This is a new one… newly fallen. My fellow Svefra would say it’s a blessing to you and Bree for finding it. I’ve never owned one or even touched one before, but the stories all say the same things about them. They glow forever… stronger at night than at day. They can refract sunlight turning into a glorious suncatcher. But they have another property too. I’ve never tried this myself, but its said if two people hold it between them and think on something – the same something – the other person can clearly feel their emotions on the subject.” He interjected. Then he traced her head down to her neck, shoulder, and out to her right arm. He followed it until he caught her hand and brought it up to the object he was still holding. She gripped the Twilight Star until it was held between them.

Then suddenly, as if the topic was a random but important pick for him… he quietly spoke. “There’s a master healer with multiple marks from Rak’keli the Goddess of Healing at The Outpost. I’m going to go see her tomorrow about my vision. It might be there was something she could do about helping me regain it. I’ve sidelined myself long enough for its loss with nothing I thought could be done for it. But now I think there is hope.” He added.

Tazrae felt his cautious hope, optimism, and his desire to have his vision again. She felt it acutely in her whole body as if it were her thoughts on it. She hoped for him too, but more because he wanted it than she did. “That’s great, Duncan. But if she can’t do anything for you… there’s nothing wrong with the way you are now. There’s not a single thing about you I’d change unless it was something you wanted changed. I have my sight, but honestly if someone hadn’t told me you were blind before I met you, I wouldn’t have guessed right away.” She said thoughtfully, her voice a whisper.

“You are enough as you are…. more than enough. I love you.” She said without hesitation.

The feelings she had for him surged through the Twilight Star and into his mind without hesitation. He knew she was telling the truth and was desperately afraid if he went to this healer and the healer couldn’t help him, that he’d feel he was somehow flawed or lacking. She was afraid the healer would do more harm than good if she couldn’t help him. But he could also tell she wanted him to be happy and satisfied and if it was what he wanted, normally sighted like the rest of the world.

Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Tazrae on January 3rd, 2021, 7:11 am

He released his grip on the Twilight Star and set his hand upon Tazrae’s forehead, tracing the line of her skull down her cheek and across her chin. His thumb fingered her lips and he laughed gently. “I don’t deserve you.” Then he closed his eyes, shook his head again, and sighed softly. “I’m going to keep you though… “ He said, a smile playing across his lips.

He hadn’t repeated the words to her. Tazrae hadn’t wanted him too, not really. Though it was her birthday, the moment was about him… his vision, his need. And she respected that. Her only comment was “I’ll go with you if you want.” Which caused him to smile brighter and shake his head again.

He changed the subject neatly. “You have never asked me what caused my blindness… why haven’t you?” He asked abruptly, curious, not volunteering any information about the accident, but still curious why she hadn’t yet demanded he do so.

“It’s your story to tell in your time, when and if that time comes. I would be a poor friend if I spent the few bells I have with you grilling you about the past when we could be discussing magic or … doing other things.” She said with a slow suggestive smile.

He laughed and reached down and pulled her up onto his lap so she was facing him. She set the star down beside them on the wood and didn’t even bat an eyelash as Bree reached over and picked it up delicately in her mouth to move it to her a safe place between her forepaws where she could examine it closely. Tazrae snuggled closer, wrapped her arms around the mage, and leaned forward to nuzzle the mage’s neck. “My deepest regret in this moment is that you aren’t wearing a skirt.” He gave her a wicked grin before he kissed her suggestively and bucked upwards gently, equally suggestive. “I know you have a busy day planned with a full house and I have to get back to do my work… so I’ll leave it there.” He said, kissing her soundly in one of his more easily anticipated moves. Duncan liked to kiss. But he chased the kiss with a quite whisper. “If we both had no where to go, we’d be going nowhere for bells and bells if I had my way.” He said, the rose and sat her neatly on her feet.

“I might be blind but I can tell it’s getting late. You need to see to your guests and put that Twilight Star someplace safe.” He added, beginning to bank the fire, covering it over with scooped sand. Bree helped, reverse digging so the fire was soon smothered with sand. “I’m going to The Outpost today. I’ll come by when I get back and let you know what the healer said.” He admitted, looking thoughtful. She nodded, not daring to say much as he spun her towards the Inn and gave her a playful but gentle slap on the rear.

Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Tazrae on January 3rd, 2021, 7:14 am

Bree hissed at him, tail lashing, and Duncan laughed. “Don’t worry… I’m not fool enough to do that to you.” He reassured the Ixam and turned to start back down the beach exactly the way he’d come.

Tazrae walked up the path to The Protea with Bree, glancing over her shoulder at the slowly shrinking mage heading in the opposite direction. Bree sighed. “I hope the healer gives him good news. You know, I think he’s been in a dark place for a long time and you’ve been leading him into the light.” The Jungle Lizard said thoughtfully.

The Innkeeper turned and looked at the lizard intently. “I’ve only known him … well been with him a couple of dozen days all in all. How can someone make that big of an impact on another person in such a short amount of time?” She asked her mount, turning to catch Bree’s eye.

Bree stared right back at her. “I don’t know. Why don’t you tell me? He’s changed you considerably. Hadn’t you noticed? You are somehow more relaxed, more free, more willing to divide work and p leasure where you had none of those sorts of boundaries before.” The Ixam said, looking Tazrae up and d own.

“Haven’t you noticed?” Bree asked, curious.

Tazrae shook her head. “No… I mean…. Every day feels more exciting with him in it. I think about him constantly and wonder where he is and what he’s doing. His disability doesn’t bother him like I think blindness would me… but now that I’m in his life I worry that it isn’t enough for him that he has a full life. I think he’s thinking about getting his eyes healed because he has the opportunity to do so and wants to feel like I can’t flaw him with anything, not that I ever would. I like him the way he is now. It’s the only way I’ve known him. I don’t want anyone to ever feel like they aren’t good enough.” She added, reaching out to stroke Bree’s cheek. The lizard trilled and twisted her head, giving Tazrae access to an itchy spot between her jaws where her chin joined her neck. Tazrae scratched obediently.

“I suppose we’ll find out tonight then. Until then, if you need me to run and fetch anything for you, let me know. I’m going to go bask in the sun and take a nap. Take care of that star…” Bree suggested with a nod. The Ixam as a rule were partially nocturnal so for her friend to be out and this awake this early in the morning was fairly unusual.

“Okay… have fun with that. I’ll make up some breads and yogurts for the guests. If you get hungry drop by near midday and I’ll have something for you if you don’t want to hunt.” She added, happy that she could provide food for Bree when the Ixam didn’t want to go hunting or was too lazy to do so.

“Understood. Be well today, rider.” Bree said, and darted off to some quiet place to relax in the sun.

Word Count: 2656

Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes