Completed New Friends And New Hobbies I

Tazrae and Tegan put in a Philtering Lab.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

New Friends And New Hobbies I

Postby Tazrae on November 29th, 2020, 8:53 pm

Timestamp: 80th of Fall, 520 A.V.

“What is this thing?” Tegan said with a laugh as Tazrae grunted again and started grumbling. They should have returned to The Protea for Bree and her cart, but Tegan had insisted with a test heft that he’d help her carry it back. The only problem with the plan was that piled on to of the very heavy crate they were now carrying between them was other things. One was a large crate with an oil press in it, another had several books Tazrae had ordered, and there was some additional supplies for the Inn. Her guest, Tegan, had come along to help unpack the ship having witnessed the phenomena in the previous arrival of The Veronica. The entire settlement turned out to unload the ship because most everyone had something they’d ordered aboard and that way James got to settle in and relax faster after he got tied up and unloaded. The situation was win-win for the residents and win-win for the crew since those not unloading the ship and acting as longshoreman were busy fixing up a feast so everyone could eat after the labor was done.

“The first crate is an oil press… the big one is a Philtering Lab complete with a distiller, and there are some books and other supplies for The Protea in the two crates on top.” She said confidently. Tegan laughed. “We really should have gone back for your lizard and her cart. It feels like you live really close to the docks but when you are hefting an entire lab and miscellanies stuff along with it, the distance stretches out much further.” He commented, not even winded while Tazrae was breathless.

“That’s… why…. I…. suggested….” She started off between pants, then shook her head. She caught a look at Tegan’s face and saw he was teasing. They were bright and twinkling, even a little flirty. The Innkeeper tossed her curly hair and blew a wayward strand out of her eye. “Stop teasing me.” She demanded all in one breath.

He just laughed again. “Do you know how to use all this stuff?” He asked.

Tazrae shook her head. “The Captain was supposed to pick me up a book or some handwritten instructions on how to at least set up and run the still. I feel like I’ve figured out so much stuff about life here, that how can one little distiller trip me up? I just want to extract some of these beautiful scents from the jungle and turn them into perfumes.” She said thoughtfully.

Tegan chuckled. “That’s a noble idea. And having a philtering lab here will really help me too in my search for new toxins and ways to counter there. I’m pretty well versed in Philtering. I can help you set this stuff all up and show you how it works in a general sense. Sometimes its easier to have someone standing right here than to read something on a page, have a question, and no where to turn.” He said thoughtfully then looked puzzled a moment. “Where are you going to set up your lab?” He asked, curious.

They were almost back to the Inn, and Tazrae was sweating profusely. The cargo they hauled was a lot heavier than she first guessed. “Oh! I have an office off the Kitchen behind all that shelving. Those walls slide back and my office is pretty open to the outside. I thought I’d add a table along the wall, push the desk back against the shelves and have a perfect place to work. I’ll probably have to build a table, but I can do that really fast before I set everything up. I don’t want the lab equipment on my desk. I have paperwork I need to do there… and notes to take… recipes to save that sort of thing.” She added, glancing up at him to see if he approved.
Last edited by Tazrae on November 29th, 2020, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A mark of an open mind is being more committed to your curiosity than your conviction.
The goal of learning is not to shield old views against new facts, but to revise old views with new facts.
Ideas are possibilities to explore, not certainties to defend."

Garden Beach Syka The Protea Inn

"Listen to the wind, it talks. Listen to the silence, it speaks. Listen to your heart, it knows."
Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Words: 1916653
Joined roleplay: May 3rd, 2020, 2:02 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syka Seasonal Challenge (1)

New Friends And New Hobbies

Postby Tazrae on November 29th, 2020, 8:54 pm

Tegan did, obviously, for he smiled and nodded. “I’ve never peeked behind the shelves, but I knew there was some sort of room there. I hadn’t realized it was your office.” He added.

“Its just more of a place to keep records. I usually end up balancing my books at one of the bar tables in the kitchen while keeping my eye on something that’s still cooking.” She added, grunting as she almost tripped on one of the cobbles before they turned off on the path to the Inn. “My arm’s aren’t going to thank me for this trip… they might even fall off before we get there.” She complained with a half laugh half sob. Tegan paused for her sake, setting down the crate. It was a monstrous thing with a rope handle at each end. Taz shook out her arms and shook her head. “I have to get stronger.” She said softly, then reached down and picked up her end again. Tegan did the same thing. Together they walked the burden up the trail to The Protea and onto the porch. Taz opened the doors wide, and they carried the crate and its tag-alongs perched uptop on into the kitchen.

“I don’t see you as weak, Tazrae. You should know that. You are out here, all alone, no family running an Inn full of strangers that end up having a good time.” He said gently. “You do things daily that make all of us wonder how you get it done… if you are some sort of miracle… cooking breakfast and dinners, cleaning rooms, making midday snacks, showing us all a good time here. I am thankful every day that I decided to lease a room here and not an entire bungalow. I’m learning more about the jungle than I ever could from a lonely fancily named cabin.” He said with a grin, then leaned against the counter watching her curiously as she opened first one crate, the next, and then the big one.

The first two crates contained books, a few extra dishes for the Inn, and writing supplies. There were also some spices for her kitchen, some spare linens, and a The biggest crate contained glassware, some basic chemicals for her Philtering Lab, and an apron. The rest of the crate contained all the metal components she’d need for the lab. But as she knelt next to the crate carefully unpacking it, she just shook her head at the metal rings, clamps, and bars that seemed to make up the contents of the wooden container.

“None of this …. I…. “ She shook her head, digging further, looking for instructions. “There’s nothing that even remotely looks recognizable.” Tazrae said softly, looking frustrated.

Tegan pushed off from where he’d been leaning a hip against the counter and walked over in his rolling gait. He bent down, and simply shut the lid on the crate Tazrae was painstakingly looking through. “I can help with that. Don’t worry. It looks daunting until you figure out what each part is for. How about before you unpack all this stuff, you have a place to put it. Let’s go see this office, rearrange it, and set up the lab. You said you could build yourself a table.” He said, then reached out, took her hand firmly, and pulled her to her feet.
"A mark of an open mind is being more committed to your curiosity than your conviction.
The goal of learning is not to shield old views against new facts, but to revise old views with new facts.

"Listen to the wind, it talks. Listen to the silence, it speaks. Listen to your heart, it knows."
Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Tazrae on November 29th, 2020, 8:55 pm

Taz nodded, smiled a bit, then walked to the seemingly empty wall, slide it back, and walked into her spacious office. The desk was center of the room, but without a thought she pushed it up against the wall they’d just walked through and centered it that way, dragging the chair over and tucking it under the table. Then she pulled the whole thing out just a hair so she had room to slide the panels back and forth to open up the space to the rest of the kitchen. Turning around, she surveyed the room.

There were windows on three walls… one overlooking the sea, and the two flanking either wall looking out over first the private deck and the guest deck. There were two comfortable chairs in each corner, which Tazrae immediately evicted from the room. They went out on the guest deck which didn’t have enough seating as it was. Then, with the desk against the back wall, she had room to wrap the office in narrow worktables that would hold the philtering equipment.

Taz paced the room, deciding on where things should be. Tegan lurked in the doorway. The room was adequate for a lab, but with two people in it, there would be room issues. She glanced over her shoulder at him and looked thoughtful. “Do I need wide workspaces for the distiller and philtering equipment?” She asked.

Tegan shook his head. “I’d make them standard 30 inch wide anyhow… it won’t actually do much to the footprint of the room if you design the tables around the three walls in a U shape.” He said.

The young Innkeeper smiled, nodded, and rummaged in her desk for her silk tape measure. She carefully measured the whole thing, then used a piece of chalk to chalk it out on the floor. Then she paced the room again, visualizing the tables in place. Nodding, pleased, she turned to study Tegan. “I think you are right. Relax a while.. and I’ll go cut the wood. Tables, especially basic ones, shouldn’t take long.” She thought ahead, knowing the miter box would help her with the cuts on the ends that would need to be perfect 45 degrees.

Taz was already wandering to the outside where her carpentry things were set up and surveyed the small crap pile she had left. The tables would use up most of the rest of the wood, maybe all of it. She thought she was alone but a warm presence at her back told her otherwise. She turned, expecting to see Bree, but finding Tegan still standing there.

“I’ll help. I had nothing planned for the whole evening.” He said, surveying the wood. “Have you ever built tables?” He asked, curiously, still studying Tazrae.

“I haven’t, actually. But I’ve done all the deck plankings here for the Inn, put together that dock out there, built some snake cages, and a chicken coup. This feels easy after that.” She said thoughtfully, and smiled at Tegan.

He shook his head. “That’s incredible. You built that entire dock?” He asked gesturing out over the water.

Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Tazrae on November 29th, 2020, 8:56 pm

Taz nodded. “Well, Bree helped. It took us a while. I made lots of mistakes. But we muddled through it. A set of tables should be okay.” She said thoughtfully, still forming the plans in her head. “It’s nice you want to help but its not necessary.” Taz said, pulling out a journal that she had tucked under her arm with a stick of charcoal. She carefully began to sketch a set of legs that are four feet apart and twenty inches apart on the short side. They would be attached to braces at the top and braces about ten inches from the bottom of the legs. The legs were four feet tall and made of two by fours. She’d need sixteen cut to four feet long.

Taz broke out her saw horses, and once Tegan saw what she was doing, he pitched in set up the second one which they stretched planks across to make a work table. She got out her miter saw, clamped down its miter box, and took scrap lumber and nailed a stop at the 4 foot mark. That way she had a template to get sawing with. Tegan saw what she was doing and after he watched her cut the first board, he took over and began cutting out the rest of the legs. That freed up Tazrae to begin to measure out the table lengths, mark the wood, and set them all up to be cut.

It was labor intensive, but after the pair found a sense of rhythm, Tazrae struck up a conversation. “Thank you for helping with this. You didn’t need to.” She said sincerely.

The man only shook his head. “I was raised to never watch others work, but to help out whenever you can.” He said thoughtfully then added a smile for her. “Cutting wood is the least I can do. You rented out two rooms for me and have provided a variable fountain of information for things going on around here… events, locations, who’s who…. Its all appreciated. And the way you feed us is outstanding.” He added. Tazrae couldn’t help but give him an answering smile.

“Thanks. Do you have a large family or is it just you?” She asked, curious, hoping he didn’t mind her getting personal. She had one table top laid out and marked for cutting, and she was no working on the second table top. She planned to make it out of four planks, nailed together under the table with cross planks. And then the whole thing would be nailed to the base from the top down where the support beams on the legs lay flush against the table itself. They would be basic tables, for sure, but Taz planned to sand them down heavily and oil them until they gleamed. She had a lovely Inn. There was no sense in messing it up by adding crude tables in the lab.

“My families all in Ravok, and is quite extensive. My father Tagath has three sons. I’m the youngest. We all travel for business extensively. I’m currently gathering poisons, venom, things like that to see if we can develop more medicines. My mother came from a large Ravok family as well. It’s different being from Ravok than almost anyone in the world. For one, they worship Rhysol there.” He added, setting a table leg aside and putting another board in to be the next to be cut. Once he did that, he fitted another raw piece of lumber into the jig Taz had created and began cutting.

Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Tazrae on November 29th, 2020, 8:57 pm

“I don’t know where Ravok is or who Rhysol is either.” Taz said thoughtfully. “I lived in Riverfall all my life. I actually remember an older man named Tagath visiting our Inn years ago… it was the season before my father died.” She said softly. She saw Tegan lift an eyebrow and nod.

“My father was in Riverfall extensively. He had investments there, in Avaladas, and Syliras. But Ravok is a far northern city built on a lake. The entire thing floats. Rhsyol is the ruler of the city. He keeps the weather nice, the lake calm, and the lake monsters at bay. The men who work for him are called the Ebonystrife. They are a lot like the Syliran Knights. On and off again, every few generations, members of our family are Ebonstryfe. I think you either get the blade minded blood or the travel minded blood.” He said, smiling. “You probably met my father if you had a Tegath staying with you. He liked smaller out of the way places.” The man added.

Tazrae nodded. She’d never been any place but Syka from Riverfall, and she certainly didn’t know about northern Sylira. She had heard of Syliras, but that was because there were units of Syliran Knights that were stationed outside of Riverfall and came to town periodically. They kept the roads safe, as far as she understood. “I can’t imagine being as well traveled as you are. Do you like that sort of life?” She said thoughtfully.

“I honestly am glad I chose this life. I like going various places, meeting new people, discovering new things. I feel important when I get to identify something that can be translated into something else. I once found a spider that once it bites someone’s arm, numbs up the limb for about an hour… now they are used in medicine because it has no other effect but that. They raise the spiders in Ravok now and use them to help people that say have compound fractures in their arms and need bones reset or skin sewn up… that sort of thing.” He added. “It reminds me of your snake project here, where you are taking a beneficial snake and making it even more useful for people… to help them.” He said, looking thoughtful. “We actually have a lot in common.” He suggested, looking thoughtful, continuing to saw on the wooden legs.

Once they had them cut to size and Tazrae had the lengths of bracing cut, she stood the four legs up, nailed the braces in place around the top and ten inches above the ground. Taz assembled the first table base, studied it, then went on to assemble two more once Tegan had the legs all done. She broke out a sanding block then, and took all the rough edges off the legs and braces, taking a long methodical time to do so. Tegan kept her company, telling her stories about Ravok and Syliras, contrasting their differences and finding some similarities. He hadn’t spent more than a day in Riverfall, so he was no help to her in linking similarities and differences.

And she told him stories of growing up an Innkeepers daughter. Tegan laughed at her as much as she laughed at him, and once the table stands were done, they carried them back into her office and arranged them around the U shape of the room. Then, carefully, Taz went back outside and began putting the long boards for the table top together. She placed them upside down and nailed cross pieces on the underside of the table. Once the three tabletops with their perfect angles were linked into the U shape, the pair carried them into Taz’s office where they checked the fit, settled them in place, and Taz hammered them into the bases firmly. It was a nice setup, one that Tazrae enjoyed running the sanding block over and then giving a deep coat of oil too. The benches gleamed proudly, looking new. Taz was proud of them and thought they looked good in the space.

Tegan spoke plainly. “Well, now that we have a place to set up your Philtering Lab, you ready to unpack it?” He smiled, pleased that they’ve gotten so far on the space.

Word Count: 3038

Continued In: New Friends And New Hobbies II

Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

New Friends And New Hobbies I

Postby Tazrae on August 23rd, 2021, 1:25 pm

Grading

Tazrae –

Bodybuilding +4, Planning +2, Carpentry +5, Socialization +5

Tegan: Tegath’s Son, Tegan: Works For His Father, Ravok: Northern City built on a lake, Rhysol: Ruler God of Ravok, Ebonstryfe: Rhysol’s Knights, Carpentry: How To Build A Table, Planning: Planning Out A Philtering Lab, Planning: Designing Tables

Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes