Closed Creatures and Connections [Alric]

Zach and Alric meet.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Herein lies Xyna's Outpost, and her gift to Mizahar's people. It is a magical place full of potential and possibility where all can gather and exchange ideas and commerce.

Moderator: Gossamer

Creatures and Connections [Alric]

Postby Zach Grasswind on November 28th, 2021, 9:54 pm

68th Fall, 521av.

Zach stepped through the door into the warmth of The Outpost and paused to remove his coat, slinging it over his arm. Underneath he was wearing a green shirt, the sleeves pushed up his arms, brown trousers and leather boots. His bow was absent from his back – he had learned that the Outpost was incredibly safe thanks to a group call The Keiss.
He slicked his wet hair back out of his face, and then set off down the path to find the Open Sky Bazaar. It had been raining back in Lhavit, as it had been for most days this season, so the light of Syna shining uninhibited in The Outpost was incredibly welcome.

The hunter had come to enjoy visiting the Outpost, not that he did it too much, for it was always bustling and there was always something new to discover. He had been back a few times after his initial foray simply to wander and explore the seemingly endless Bazaar and to see what other places existed within the boundaries of the tall Outpost walls.

Today however, Zach had come with a reason. He had decided the time had come for him to purchase a dog. He had grown up on the grasslands of Cyphrus with a myriad of dogs all around him and the Drykas missed having a four-legged companion.

He fished around in his pocket for a moment, trying to find the map that Paul had handed to him on his first visit, but came up short. As he neared the Bazaar, Zach kept an eye out for one of the Keiss. Somehow, they always seemed to know exactly where everything was here. Finding one, he quickly memorised the directions the man rattled off and set off quickly before he forgot them again.

It didn’t take him too long to find the part of the Bazaar where the animals were for sale, though he likely wouldn’t have missed it if he had headed out without any directions. The first beasts he came across were the cattle. There were not many, but they were hard to miss. He moved past them, stopping for a moment to watch some chickens scratching at the ground before he then reached the dogs.

There were more breeds of dog here than he had thought he might ever know about, and Zach ran his gaze over the ones he could see. Some were clearly meant as pets and nothing else, for they were very little and clearly took grooming to keep them as presentable as they looked. He was not after a pet though. Zach wanted a dog that would not only be a companion, but would also come out hunting with him.

The first dogs he looked at were the Luvanor Grassland Hunters. He knew that they wouldn’t be suited to the mountains of Kalea, but they were the dogs of his childhood. He spent a while looking over them and chatting with the stall owner, an Emerald Clan Drykas like himself. Time ticked on, and Zach realised that he should be looking at other breeds, asking the Luvanor breeder if they knew of something that might be suitable.
“Hunters? Aside from my Luvanors… Maybe the Elk Dogs, Spicecoats or the Iganus. Not sure which would suit you best though, I think they’re all here somewhere so you should be able to see for yourself.”

Zach knew of the Spicecoats for he had seen them in Lhavit’s pet shop, and had met Moritz’s dog at the Infinity Manor. He hadn’t realised they were hunting dogs however. That simple fact had Zach heading over to see them, their distinctive colouring standing out a little way off.

There were a mixture of ages, from little puppies to fully grown adults. Zach pondered for a moment, unsure what would be most useful to him. The breeder noticed him then, and came to speak to him. “You after a Spicecoat? There are some lovely specimens here.”
“I would like a dog I can take hunting with me out in the Unforgiving.”

The breeder nodded. “A Spicecoat will do you right then. They can track, hunt and pull your quarry back on a sled to boot. The best dog for the mountains too. Obviously the young ones aren’t trained up yet past basic commands. The older ones know some stuff, but depending on what you’ll be doing they may or may not work right with you.”

Zach nodded thoughtfully, and then crouched to inspect the dogs further. One of the puppies nosed at his knee, its tail wagging vigorously behind it. Another fixed its eyes on him from where it sat, but made no move to come towards him. A third was fast asleep near the feet of what was presumably its mother.

He gave the older dogs a cursory glance, and while they were fine creatures, Zach figured a puppy might be the way to go. To train it up from the beginning would no doubt give him an advantage over a dog that was already used to a certain set of actions and commands. He scratched the excitable pup behind it’s ears while pondering on how to go about choosing.

wc: 868
Zach Grasswind
What’s a tree?

Words: 193110
Joined roleplay: August 9th, 2018, 12:56 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Alric Lysane on November 29th, 2021, 6:08 pm

Alric found himself needing to vacate the city of Sunberth, he had much upon his mind and trying to decide what he was going to do next was difficult when surrounded by such dark and dingy streets. Not to mention sodden and cold to the bone despite the lack of Morwen’s grip beginning to close in as had become common the last few years or so. No, it biased his decision too much and he wanted to make sure that what was eventually decided was as close to what he wanted as it was possible to get.

Not that this season has been easy…not sure it’d matter where I was as to whether things would be better he thought to himself with a mental sigh. It was not entirely true, he knew, but it had been a long few days. Not least of which he was still recovering from his impromptu cage fight.

Still, he found the Outpost to be a fitting place to muse, within its walls it had all started. Deep down he suspected his decision had likely already been made that same day, seemingly so long ago now, that he met the turquoise-eyed innkeeper. It was less what he was going to do and more how he was going to do it. Still as he stepped into the light and warm out of the other side of the Dovecote he shook his head, made sure his ring was still in place around his neck and began his meandering walk.

He left his patched up cloak in place as he went, warm as it was he still felt cold to his bones and his clothing would like as not take a while to fully dry. He’d rather start with the outside first seeing as despite his shabby appearance his clothing underneath was actually more worn and older than his cloak and thus almost ready to be burned. And he was going to burn it, he wasn’t taking any chances – faked mage lore or not. No one would get his old things to use against him.

“Yeah…sure Alric…not sounding paranoid there at all…” he muttered to himself, shaking his head and smiling wryly at his foolishness.

It was a busy day, it always seemed to be at the Outpost. Commerce and other things never seemed to stop. He had not had the chance to explore all of the realm yet, though he was sure he’d get there in the end. He had heard there was everything in terms of buildings also, though he had yet to prove or disprove that claim. As he walked he spied something out of the corner of his eye that made him pause and then approach slowly, watching intently.

Dogs…I always wanted a dog. Never seemed right though he thought to himself. Sunberth was hard enough on him let alone a hound. Whilst it would have been a good for of protection, he was not sure the hound’s life would have been an admirable one despite his efforts.

As his eyes took in the varying types of fur, form and behaviours his gaze was drawn to a man. He seemed to stand out to him, though he was not sure why. He was slightly taller than Alric but he was not sure that was it. He moved with purposeful steps, almost as if he stalked his way around the merchandise. He didn’t seem a thief though so he was not sure why he would come across that way. His hair was strange by Sunberthian standards, that much was true but not particularly something that pulled at his curiosity. He came alongside the man a few feet away and glanced at him to see if there was anything else he could see but saw nothing untoward.

“You know I always wanted a dog. Seemed like a good companion…a faithful hound to while away the time with. Something about their unconditional love I think…seems almost unique in a harsh world, no?” he asked the stranger by way of an ice breaker.

~ Thanks to Gossamer/Shiress for post Boxcodes ~
Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Words: 1010203
Joined roleplay: October 29th, 2021, 5:41 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Zach Grasswind on November 29th, 2021, 9:17 pm

Zach mused over the three puppies in front of him, the excitable one all but clambering into his lap having decided that simple ear scratches were not enough attention. He smiled down at it, chuckling lightly at its antics.

A shadow approached and Zach looked up to see the Spicecoat breeder approaching again. “What do you think?”
The hunter nodded up at him. “Well I think you are correct in that one of these will be the right match. The breed sounds exactly like what I am looking for. How easy is it to train a young one?”

The breeder stooped to pick the puppy out of Zach’s lap. “Well, these three are old enough to leave their mother now and Spicecoats are very intelligent, even at this age. If you do it right and keep consistent, you’ll have a well trained dog in no time.” He motioned to the mother dog nearby. “See her, no leash, and she will sit there until I ask her to come somewhere else. Loyal almost to a fault on top of everything else.”

He passed the wriggling pup back to Zach, who held it in front of his face so he could look at it properly for a moment before returning it to the ground. “These two…” Again he motioned to the pup with Zach and to the sleeping one next to the mother. “…are boys, that one over there is a little girl.” Zach shifted his gaze back over to the last puppy, who was still watching him carefully. “I’ll leave you to think some more.” The breeder moved off once again to speak with another potential customer.

Zach stood back up, crossing his arms over his chest as he continued to watch the dogs. He kept flicking his gaze back to the little female. She was a bright cinnamon colour, her back taking on almost a red hue, and lighter on the face and undersides. He was contemplating going to interact directly with her when a man came up alongside him, stopping a little over an arm’s length away.

The Drykas turned his head to take in the stranger as he spoke, and since the man was looking at Zach he figured the comment was directed at him. He considered the question for a tick before responding.

“I suppose it is unique, yes. Though I think any animal, with a few exceptions of course, can offer much the same. If dogs aren’t a person’s thing.” Zach had been around enough animals in his life to know that people could form unimaginably close bonds with almost anything. Horses especially. His bond with Wirren had been closer than that of most of his family members.

He ran a quick glance over the man, taking in the cloak that had clearly been mended a few times, the long dark hair and a surprisingly intense gaze. He had noticed that the man seemed to be damp, much like himself. Had he come through from Lhavit too? Somehow, Zach had the distinct impression that he hadn’t, though he would not be able to begin imagining where he could be from.

He offered the stranger a smile, lifting his arm slightly to draw attention to his still wet coat that hung over it. “I see the warmth of this place is welcome to you too.”

Near their feet, the excitable pup decided to play stalk its sleeping brother, and the pair had a mock-fight in the way only puppies could. He watched it for a chime before returning his attention to the man beside him.
“Are you after a dog today then? I think I might take a Spicecoat. Good hunters and suited to the mountains.” He met the strangers dark eyes with his own, the golden starbursts standing out clearly in the centre of blue irises.

wc: 640
Zach Grasswind
What’s a tree?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Alric Lysane on November 30th, 2021, 9:22 am

It was hard not to grin at the fact that they were both soaked and had sought refuge the only place they could be sure was without the cold and damp. The stranger was so nonchalant about it that it was difficult not to warm to him. He watched a few drips drop to the floor and then repeated the man’s gesture and saw more of a pour than a dripping. That likely meant the man had been here longer than Alric, long enough to dry more at least. Though in the Outpost that could as well be chimes rather than a Bell.

“A happy coincidence to be sure,” he said by way of return, “and one that I shan’t argue with. These days the Outpost seems to be the only constant that everyone can share in…provided they find it of course”

There was a period where the man deigned not to speak further and Alric was fine with that. He took the time to look over the dogs, the puppies especially made him chuckle as they played. They were full of an energy he was beginning to remember that he possessed. So young and full of life, testing their boundaries and finding many of them shattered. Though when they found one – like a larger sibling – they found they ran head-first into a wall. Watching them for a time he found them to have an innocence that was endearing. How anyone could take them and turn them to pit fighting and the like he could not fathom.

Some parts of Sunberth should just be burned he sighed internally to himself but still he smiled softly down at the pups.

So lost was he in his gazing, his own thoughts lost for the moment, he did not initially hear the man’s question. After a few moments later he turned his attention back to the man with an apologetic look.

“I am not sure that I would have the ability to look after one in the manner they deserved,” he said, noting how the shopkeeper then dismissed Alric from his attentions, focused on earning his way, “but perhaps one day. I confess that I know little about breeds and the like. I would imagine you are quite educated about the matter, no?”

The question would hang there for the mand to show his knowledge or not, he would like to know more as he was ever curios but truthfully it was not at the top of his agenda in that moment. He had larger and more personal affairs to occupy his mind. He eyed the stranger once more and noted that he was an impartial voice and seemed well travelled and wealthy enough to purchase a lifelong companion to be cared for – which also spoke of at least a practically nurturing ability.

“No…I came to the Outpost to think, to puzzle on things that have been weighing on my mind. It is a safer and warmer place than Sunberth within which to do so. I merely saw the hounds and they took my fancy to watch for a time. As I said I have always wanted one, but not today. But watching them has soothed me for a time”

“I imagine that you’re getting one for your own reasons…companionship, perhaps? I know not what a Spicecoat is, but I can guess that from the way you describe it that you are a hunter then? An important thing, putting food onto people’s plates” he noted to the man with sincerity – he had been mighty hungry more than once before and he could have done with a hunter’s skill then to be sure.

“Mountains…mountains…” he muttered to himself, casting back his memory to other conversations this season and remembering both Ari and Moritz talking about mountains and one place name, “you don’t happen to come from Lhavit do you?” he took the guess, if the man didn’t then he’d learn a new place name. If he were lucky then he’d had a point of reference from which to converse.

“Alric,” he said, offering his gloved hand to the man by way of greeting.

Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Zach Grasswind on November 30th, 2021, 6:45 pm

Zach raised an eyebrow at the small river of water that ran off the other man’s cloak as he imitated Zach’s gesture. He wondered briefly if the stranger may have swum his way here. He nodded at the comment, musing for a moment on a thought that popped into his head as a result of it.

“Yes, it does seem that there is almost everyone here, doesn’t it? It is quite amazing how these doorways appear to be in every city.”
At least, he assumed it was every city. The Drykas in reality had not spoken to great many people in the Outpost to know where they were all from, but from looking at the wares on display, one could probably safely assume they were from all corners of Mizahar.

As the pair watched the puppies, Zach was beginning to solidify his choice for the little girl near the back. She was alert, seemingly wanting to keep watch on all the goings on of the place from afar, and that was a characteristic he wanted in a hunting dog. He kept his eyes on the dogs as the man responded to him once again, but turned his attentions back when it was time to answer.

Zach chuckled lightly. “I know a fair amount about one breed, but not all. I suppose some of the more general knowledge though can be applied to most dogs. I grew up surrounded by them as my father was a breeder.” He gestured vaguely behind them in the direction of the Luvanors. “We bred the Luvanor Grassland Hunting dogs. Well, they still do, my family. I do not anymore.”

The stranger went on to speak of the reasons for his own visit, and Zach couldn’t help but feel some concern for the man. He had come from a place new to the Drykas, and appeared to have some worries, but before the hunter could enquire further he had gone on to continue speaking of other matters.

Zach nodded and offered the man a smile, for he had an astute mind and had guessed his occupation correctly from a few chimes of speaking.
“I am a hunter indeed, well guessed. These are Spicecoats.” Zach motioned to the dogs in front of the pair. “While a companion is a nice thing to have, I prefer to have one that can also help me in other ways. Since I work outdoors a dog that can come with me and be of use, rather than a hindrance, is what I need. Companionship of course is important too, then you can work well together.”

Surprise briefly lit Zach’s features as the stranger again made an accurate guess, this time wondering if he had come from Lhavit. Maybe this Sunberth was not as far away as it sounded, or perhaps he had heard tales of it. Zach was not sure if there were any other places in Mizahar that were like the Star of Kalea.

“Yes, I came through from Lhavit. Do you know it then?”
He smiled and gave a rueful chuckle. “I’m not from there though, you may have guessed if you are familiar with the city.” Zach looked a little rough around the edges, definitely not like those who actually hailed from the city of skyglass.

“You said you are from Sunberth? I’m afraid I am not so knowledgeable about your home. Is Sunberth like Lhavit at all?” He had been to a good number of places, as Endrykas was by nature a traveling city, but he knew there were many places he had never even heard of.

Zach turned to face the stranger proper as he introduced himself. He took the offered hand and shook it with a smile, eyes meeting the man’s gaze. “Zach. It’s good to meet you Alric.”
He released his grip and paused before asking his next question. The Drykas culture was one of openness. Everyone helped everyone, and a problem shared was a problem halved. Of course, not everyone was a Drykas, but Zach could never hold back from offering help when it seemed a person could do with it.

“You said you have a heavy mind. Please don’t think I am trying to nose into your business, but if it is something that can be aided with a conversation from an outside mind, I am happy to help.”
He gave a small, one-shouldered shrug and offered a smile. “In any case, I have heard the inn here serves good ale.” It had been a long time since Zach had shared a drink with someone, and it would be nice to do so, though he would take no offense if Alric declined either invitation.

wc: 782
Last edited by Zach Grasswind on December 3rd, 2021, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zach Grasswind
What’s a tree?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Alric Lysane on December 2nd, 2021, 12:38 pm

“Indeed, it is almost as if they want us all in one place. I can see the appeal, it might one day lead to a more agreeable world. I can’t vouch for other cities, but it would surprise me if there were a place there was not a doorway,” he said thoughtfully.

Now that he considered it, he liked the idea. The last time any sort of unity could be said to have existed was before the Valterrian. Even then the world was at war with itself, as if doomed to never find peace or stability. He supposed that in may ways this was what gave potential – the need to surpass was a driver for growth and invention. Perhaps the world may have suffered a different fate had his ancestors had a similar place to mix cultures with their wold be enemies. Though it was possible that they had and just pressed on regardless.

“Grassland? I assume you haven’t always been in mountains then? Or are breed names not as straightforward as that?” he asked, avoiding asking whether he had had some falling out with his family if he no longer bred animals with them.

He nodded as he explained his reasons for his choice. They made sense, not that it was Alric’s place to argue with him or change his mind. It was intriguing to see how he thought though and after a fashion it helped. There was a practicality that Alric remembered once possessing – or rather only possessing. Things felt more complicated since the revelations of earlier in the season. It was refreshing to be reminded that sometimes choosing what was best suited and practical might also lead to something more.

He understood the need for companionship atop the practicality, he felt it also. There had been a time when it didn’t matter to him but now that he had felt a true bond with someone it called to him across the continent. Though he was fairly sure that had he raised the comparison with them and the context of this conversation with a new stranger alongside it she would possibly thump him one.

“No, I have never been to Lhavit, but most of the people I have met here either have been from there or were there and had moved elsewhere. It seemed a reasonable guess given what they told me of it. As for Sunberth, I am fairly sure it is nothing like Lhavit” he chuckled, wondering idly if anyone knew of Sunberth.

Can’t say I blame them I suppose. It seems more and more confining…and threatening…these days he thought to himself with a sadness, he had been fond…proud even…last season. He supposed he still was but now it held a streak of something else.

“Where are you from then?” he asked with a tingling of curiosity – new lands to learn of were welcome.

The idea of a drink and some talk appealed to Alric and he accepted it thankfully, though he noted Zach – his name now revealed – had yet to make his purchase. Unless he had missed it of course.

“I am not sure that this is a burden others can help with,” he smiled apologetically, “though I won’t say no to company and a good ale. Things are not always as they appear I have heard, so perhaps you may ease my mind after all. But…did you not wish to purchase your new companion-to-be? They seem good to my unprofessional eyes, you would not want to lose out” he finished.

He could wait for Zach to finish and then accompany him to this inn, he had nothing to do and truly he’d rather have the company than not.

Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Zach Grasswind on December 3rd, 2021, 5:59 pm

Zach considered the man’s question for a tick, thinking over the breeds he was aware of before answering. “I think most names are fairly straightforward actually, now that you ask.” He looked down again at the dogs in front of them. “I assume that these ones are named such for the colour of their coats. There’s one called the Painted Desert Dog – I’ll leave you to guess where that is from! And then yes, the Luvanor’s are from the grasslands, much like myself. Correct again.” Zach smiled at the man.

He wondered who else Alric had met here from Lhavit. People he knew possibly? Madeira perhaps, or maybe Moritz? His fellow hunters came here, he knew that much. It seemed like this would be a good place to sell animal pelts and leather.

“Ah I see, how coincidental!”
Zach smiled curiously at Alric’s chuckle, wondering how comparing Lhavit and Sunberth was amusing. Perhaps the latter was totally flat, or perpetually in the summer weather. He figured that must be amusing if it was the case, much like how he would think it funny to compare Endrykas and Lhavit, now that he thought about it.

“I am from Endrykas.”
He paused to see if there was any recognition from the man. “Home of the Drykas. We roam the Sea of Grass.” Zach still found it strange that it no longer felt like home to him. But then again, he had a lot to love about Lhavit, most of all the people. To have travelled so far and find a second family… well, he was a very lucky man.

Zach gave Alric a nod and a warm smile as his invitation was accepted. He was reminded that he was actually in the middle of purchasing a dog and flicked his eyes back to look at the little female pup again.
“Ah yes, one moment then!”

He headed over to the man selling the dogs and indicated the pup he wanted. Zach fished some Kina from his pocket and counted it out while the breeder found him a leather collar. After a chime or so of conversation, they swapped what they were holding and Zach went over to the pup.

He knelt and offered her his hand, which she dutifully sniffed, and then allowed him to scratch her behind her ears. He fixed the collar about her neck and stood again after giving her another pet. The pup shook herself once and then sat down again.

Zach stepped back to where Alric was standing, fishing a crumpled map out of his pocket as he did so. “I’ll pick her up on the way back out.”
He looked closely at the map, eventually finding the area the pair were in and taking a moment to find the Khamsin Inn.

“Okay I think… it’s this way.” Zach pointed to the direction he thought they should head in and set off, glancing round once to see if Alric followed. He paused a couple of times to check the map and make sure they were going the right way, and eventually the Inn came into view ahead of them.

He headed straight in to order a couple of ales and carried them over to a small table in the outdoor courtyard. It was fairly quiet at this particular time between main meals and he was able to find seating without many other people nearby. He set the drinks down and pulled up a seat, pushing one of the ales towards Alric.

Zach held the drink out for a tick in a ‘cheers’ motion. “To… new company.” He smiled and took a sip, nodding contentedly. He set the drink back on the table and leaned forward, forearms resting on the wooden top. He thought better of delving right into a deeper conversation about the man’s worries, and would let Alric steer the conversation that way if he so desired.

“So Alric… Sunberth. What is it like?” He thought for a moment of the places he did know. “Perhaps like Riverfall, or maybe Syliras if it is so different to Lhavit?” It sounded like it could be an interesting place, if a name was anything to go by. “What do you do there?”
Zach Grasswind
What’s a tree?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Alric Lysane on December 4th, 2021, 12:52 pm

Alric saved any questions for later, Zach was conducting business and upon a matter which was no doubt important to him. He spent a number of chimes simply watching the hounds and looking at the names written in a blocky script upon rough labels for the breeds. There were many and he suspected that if breeding dogs was anything like breeding anything else that the total number in Mizahar was likely uncountable. Still the ones before him likely presented the most common and useful, given their popularity must have been enough to make it worthwhile breeding them for profit.

“I am sure she will be a delightful, and useful, companion” he said as they set out towards the vague direction of the tavern.

It was not an overly long journey, made largely in quiet company aside from the seeking of directions and muttering over the map. The tavern itself was as he remembered it, elegant and luxurious with the courtyard a simpler and communal area filled with conviviality. Largely vacant now he knew from his previous visit with Taz that the evening brought wines, merriment and the warm glow of torchlight. He smiled at the memory, hoping she was doing well. He had not heard from her too recently, she was no doubt busy with her inn. He was still conflicted about that day and had largely dove into other work to avoid making the decisions he was now inevitably pondering towards the season’s ending.

A shame that we get less time together than desired…though I suppose that is the way of things. Much like this Lhavit her Syka is a world away he mused as he found a seat and Zach brought the first round and they toasted their meeting.

She chuckled at his question, it was one that he was coming to recognise. No one knew of Sunberth and he knew that was probably for the best – for both sides.

“Sunberth is not like Lhavit…or any other place I have learned about. It is a city of anarchy, where people do as they wish and accept the risks of that. Free and proud despite the dirt and filled with gangs, large and small, alongside people just trying to get by,” he informed Zach as he leaned back in his chair and took out his pipe and tobacco pouch before putting them upon the table, “though I hear Lhavit is much prettier. Bridges of glass and a Goddess?”

“As for what I do, survive mostly. I do whatever jobs I can get to keep me in miza. This season I have been searching for family history for someone, alongside the usual side earnings. Next season…who knows” he shrugged slightly, truthfully he was not sure what he would be doing.

A growing sense of urgency had reared its head – he had to find paths that he had no familiarity with. Assassins, mages and family history had to be contended with alongside deciding what sort of man he was – or rather was going to be. He had started to feel as if his life was faltering around him, his mood heading up and down whilst his identity…well it was becoming a problem. Part of him wanted to remain the small-time thief and jack of all trades. But there was another part that wanted to be more. And that was just one of the battles being fought within him that had started to dim his light. If winter actually came next season, it would be a fitting external expression of his internal senses.

“I have not heard of the Drykas…is this a family then?” he asked, curious about this new acquaintance and sensing an opportunity to stem any serious talk off for a time at least.

“As for coincidence,” he scratched his chin, “I suppose it is rather strange. It could be that perhaps Lhavit is more accepting of strange doorways perhaps? Do odd things happen there often?”

He took a long gulp of his ale, pulling his cloak off and letting it drape over the back of his chair. He used a candle upon the table to light his pipe – which was probably inappropriate and would cause the mistress if the establishment to roll her eyes – and took a long drag, making sure to keep the smoke away from his new companion.

“And you are a hunter you said. Animals or men? Or both, perhaps?” he asked, seeking to get a more accurate picture of Zach. It was not an interrogation, he was relaxed and would not press if the man didn't wish to answer anything but he did enjoy investigating beyond the surface of things.

Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Zach Grasswind on December 4th, 2021, 5:30 pm

Zach raised an eyebrow at Alric as the man chuckled once again at the mention of Sunberth. His expression turned somewhat perplexed until he schooled it into one of interested attentiveness.

“So, Sunberth has no government? Interesting.” He couldn’t tell if it sounded like the place would be chaotic or freeing. Or perhaps it was a mixture of both. It didn’t seem like a place where Zach would be overly comfortable, and it sounded like it was a million miles away from the orderly ways of his home. The man sounded fond of the city all the same, so perhaps it wasn’t so bad.

Zach nodded as Alric spoke of work. Somehow his answer seemed to fit the image of Sunberth that the man had put into his head. It must be interesting to be able to take whatever job was on offer, rather than doing the same thing all of the time. Of course, Zach couldn’t imagine doing anything but hunting, but he knew of people who would enjoy the freedom of choice.

“It sounds… freeing. To be able to work like that.” Alric’s use of the word ‘survive’ was a little worrisome, and Zach wondered what exactly he meant. Was he in some sort of trouble? Perhaps that was related to the man’s aforementioned burdens.

“Bridges of glass... indeed. They’re quite a sight to behold. Lhavit is built over five peaks of the mountains so they connect each one. I’ve no idea how they were able to make them. As far as I know it was some sort of magic as the glass is actually made of stars. Or at least that was what a bard told me one time...” And judging by the way they shimmered in the light, he was inclined to believe Mauriel’s words.

Alric seemed to be lost in thought for a moment so Zach took another sip of his ale. Whoever had told him to try it had been right, it was good. He was about to ask what might be on his mind, when the man fielded another question his way.

Zach laughed. “I guess Lhavit is no stranger to things outside of the norm. I wouldn’t say we have a lot of odd things, but perhaps to anyone else, maybe.” Lhavit seemed to be a place full of magic, so there was bound to be happenings many were unable to explain, even if they were happy to accept them. “How did Sunberth take to the door?”

A smile would over Zach’s mouth. “As for the Drykas…we are a race, I suppose. People of the Grassland.” While Zach wasn’t exactly sure quite what made them a race all of their own, for they looked like any other human, he knew that he could sense when another person was a fellow Drykas. Being a Drykas was an entire way of being, and he wasn’t sure where to start explaining that.

“We live on the open plains of Cyphrus in Pavilions – think huge tents, always on the move. My family are the Grasswinds of the Emerald Clan, the hunters. It’s… chaos, of the good sort.” Another smile, a little wistful this time. While Lhavit was truly his home now, he would never say no to galloping across the endless sea of grass one more time.

Zach leaned back in his chair and watched Alric as the man lit a smoking pipe. He nodded. “Animals. I help feed the city.” Zach had never thought of hunting people before, though he supposed some would. Mercenaries existed for a reason after all. He wondered idly if he’d have luck as a mercenary if he got better at using his Iraso sight. Possibly, but the idea of harming people sat like a rotten apple in his mind.

He fixed his two-toned eyes on Alric once more, the candlelight illuminating the golden starbursts. “You said you were searching for family? Is that within Sunberth or might they be elsewhere?” He kept his voice neutral, much as Alric had done when asking about Zach’s own life, for he didn’t want to sound like he was prying. If Alric didn’t want to speak about it, that was fine with him. “I only ask in case you might want some information from Lhavit… though it is perhaps too far away from Sunberth by the sounds of it.”
Zach Grasswind
What’s a tree?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Alric Lysane on December 6th, 2021, 12:42 pm

Alric chuckled at Zach’s comments about Sunberth. Not because he wished to mock the man but because he remembered a time that he felt much the same. He was not sure he felt that way anymore. When it had been his birthplace then it seemed fitting, an obligation almost not to put down his birthplace. He still saw much potential in the city but now he could see the darkness for more than just a smudged veneer for a diamond in the rough beneath. No, he had seen evil and he found it claustrophobic and it smothered his beloved city as if trying to choke the life from it. Sunberth would only rise when it had given up its random acts of cruelty, and that would require some authority…which seemed a forlorn hope. He smiled sadly and looked at Zach with a tilted head.

“I suppose it could be seen that way, but these days I think it just means an endless grind that never ends and where invention and progress…well it doesn’t exist,” he said in a quiet tone, “whereas your Lhavit seems a fine place, more suited to rebuilding a world and trying to provide what all needs after our disasters – security”

“The door being a good example, I am not sure that many even know of it. Or would use it”

He took a few moments to puff away at his pipe and drink deeply from his cup, musing upon things that Zach could not know and should not know. But he seemed a decent sort, who knew things of the world. Certainly, he was more travelled than Alric was from the sounds of it. He listened as the man talked of his family and people. Alric understood chaos though he had less experience with the controlled kind. Though it resonated with recent events – the tea journey for one.

“I am searching for another’s family, though not the living kind. They wanted to know if any could be found in Sunberth. I found them, though I am not sure it will make her happy. I suppose we will see when I manage to report back to her. Do you know the Cravens?”

Bu Alric got the sense that Zach wanted to help ease his burden if possible. It wasn’t just the direct asking previously but he seemed good natured and persistent in asking questions in that direction. Truthfully it was for Zach’s benefit that he didn’t say too much but he supposed the man might be able to help, in his own way and so finished his ale and ordered another for the pair, buying time for him to figure out how best to frame the tumbling questions in his mind.

“Tell me Zach…what would you do if people you knew long ago, and missed dearly, now had their location given to you? Would you go to them, even if you knew that by doing so you might make things worse for them? Or yourself?”

“And let us say, hypothetically, there was someone else that you felt a strong bond with…and you knew that they might need you but by going you might put them in danger? Or, you know you needed them, or wanted them, would you go still? Despite the risks?”

He had been as forthcoming as he could have been. He had given no names and unless he turned the issues around in his mind he might even think they were the same issue but phrased differently. Alric supposed they were but for different reasons – he only saw the distinction because he knew all the people’s names and where at least one of them were. He opened his hands apologetically at the vagueness before leaning back, puffing at his pipe and watching Zach intently.

Perhaps this was another ‘chance’ meeting that had been sent to help him puzzle things out. He had to admit that they had been upon his mind of late. He had even visted Lys so amny tiems recently to make sure she would be prepared for his going and to let her know she could have his home should he choose to leave. He had told the orphanage owner too, to make sure it went to the little one he wanted it to. Lys was probably the only one he cared about in Sunberth now and there was only so much he could do for her, but do it he had.

The only thing stopping him was his mind. His heart urged him, but his mind told him to wait, to not risk anyone else. But he was running out of reasons and it scratched away in the back of his mind, insistent as if being driven by something outside of himself.

Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes