Chance Meetings [Moritz]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Herein lies Xyna's Outpost, and her gift to Mizahar's people. It is a magical place full of potential and possibility where all can gather and exchange ideas and commerce.

Moderator: Gossamer

Chance Meetings [Moritz]

Postby Alric Lysane on January 5th, 2022, 4:46 pm

68th Winter 521 AV – The Dovecote Entrance Area

The season had gone quite well so far, better than expected and certainly better than any he could remember in recent memory. Not that it hadn’t come with its challenges and trials, not to mention the trial and error with magic that had taken its own toll. Thankfully nothing permanent as of yet, he had been careful in his individual speculation and his times with Tazrae had been reasonably controlled – though they both pushed it a bit further together he suspected. He knew he did, it was comforting to do so when there was someone there to help if needed. Someone who knew the whole truth of who he was.

He had stayed in the Outpost more and more as the season had progressed, it felt natural given that they had managed to make quite a comfortable abode. It was true that it would probably pass from their possession once their tasks of perfecting what was required had taken place, but that didn’t mean it wasn’t a home until then. At least for him it was, the quality was far superior in comparison to his shack in Sunberth. True, he had still not spent more than half his nights in the Outpost, largely to not expose it too much, but each time was worth it. He had found his mind clearing as time progressed, his thoughts upon the arcane and other things shifting all the more. He was starting to get suspicious of his ‘home’ city, it seemed to darken his thoughts more than it should.

Ruby had started to take a better like to him also, he had even been given better shifts – guarding during the day at times instead of always at night. It meant more alone time given that it was mostly when the Associates slept and there were no real customers, but he counted his blessings. Everything seemed to be going well…and that bothered him. He had come to the Outpost this day not for any particular reason but because he was getting a growing sense that things were too good. They were going too well. In his experience that usually meant they would end soon. He hoped he was wrong, as he had been wrong about so much, but it was a feeling years of street life had pounded into him.

And so, he was there, key in his pouch, to check upon their things and make sure all was as it should be. He had checked more often of late and each time it was okay but he had learned that it paid to be cautious and to check everything a dozen times before stepping into the jaw of some terrible fate.

Stepping out of the Dovecote he simply stepped to the side and let those exiting behind him pass, enjoying the warmth and the simple atmosphere. He smiled slightly, knowing that there was far more to it underneath, and around, but he dared not use any magic in the open – some thing he still had yet to push past, some barriers remained. It was alone and with trusted company or not at all.

He whistled a tune he had picked up from the Sykan, checking himself over t make sure he had everything, watching the crowds pass by and filter off to wherever it was that they had business. The maps were handed out but these days he usually gave it back to the person handing them out, he didn’t really need it anymore he thought – he had a mental map, with many gaps of course, but enough to get to the important places. He was in a good mood too, having just finished digging himself out of the sad hole after the mage execution. No…things were good this day despite the sense of foreboding that he could do little about.

~ Thanks to Gossamer/Shiress for post Boxcodes ~
Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Words: 1010203
Joined roleplay: October 29th, 2021, 5:41 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)

Chance Meetings [Moritz]

Postby Moritz Craven on January 5th, 2022, 10:07 pm

68 Winter 521

Letting out a sigh Moritz stepped from one heat to another as he exited the dovecote door. While it was hot in both Syka and the Outpost these heats were of differing types, both harsh in there own way. But for standing outside he felt Syka was preferable, the air not so dry it pulled out every bit of moisture in the jungle as it was wherever the Outpost lay.

Today as usual Moritz was dressed coolly. He had on his usual button up one piece suit, which exposed to the sun only his hands, feet, neck and head. On his feet he had his usual sandals, completing his outfit, along with the bracelet he permanently wore as he could not take it off.

He also of late had a few new markings on his body, some more visible than others. The gnosis mark on the back of his neck was not so easy to see, but the star embedded in the back of his left hand was much more noticeable. Particularly since it often changed colors depending on Moritz mood.

Other than that the only things on the Kelvic was his pack, some money within, and normal tools and items like his waterskin and fire starting tools which he simply kept in his bag most of the time.

He had left his remaining sword at home though had brought along his weapon harness and was wearing it in case he found a good weapon today and wanted to try attaching it. His other sword was gone, the same as the star embedded in his hand...

Heading out of the Dovecote and shutting the door behind him to allow the next person to enter, Moritz looked about the area to see if he saw the familiar face of the man who handed out maps. He usually said at least a few passing words to him when he visited the Outpost, though did not interrupt when the man was busy helping someone else.

Finding said man was busy Moritz continued to look around a bit before starting to head off to the market... Only to pause for a moment as he saw another person standing nearby.

It took him a few moments to place the person, but after thinking it through he recalled the man he had sparred with and shown some things about stretching and tumbling and such to. In that manner he was both a sparring partner and helper while also being a student of sorts in one limited area. They had talked for awhile as well, in between exerting their bodies. What was his name, Moritz pondered to himself, trying to recall...

"All... Alric?"

Gazing over he tried to meet the mans gaze, wondering on him for a moment before continuing.

"So we meet again. How have you been. I haven't seen you since... What was it, last season? Not that long I suppose..."

Moritz for his part was mainly the same, though the Kelvic would be visibly a bit taller than the last time he had met the Sunberthian.

"What are you up to here today?"

WC: 519
Moritz Craven
Player

Words: 1102948
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2019, 11:58 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)

Chance Meetings [Moritz]

Postby Alric Lysane on January 7th, 2022, 10:23 pm

He never really dressed for the Outpost, he never had much issue with temperature these days, not since discovering his grey bodysuit that he always wore. He suspected it had something to do with it, temperature regulation or some such magical property amongst others. As such he was wearing his storm grey Isuas trousers and the dark blue Isuas shirt that Taz had gifted him. The black boots and belt he had found earlier in the season were worn, from the latter hung his waterskin and various pouches. Weapon harness placed his broadsword upon his left hip and dagger was tucked into his boot. Coarse wool jacket and gloves finished it all off and he was satisfied he had everything he had meant to bring. Looking around, spying a rather interesting group passing by, his watching was interrupted by a voice stating his name. Turning his head, he took in a familiar face from a brief meeting a season back.

“Moritz…the man with the strange eyes,” he said with a warm and amused tone, this may prove to be an interesting meeting, “not since last season, no. Acrobatics, fighting and friendly disagreements I believe?” he finished, the tone was a questioning one but they both knew the answer.

He took a few moments to take the lad in, though given that he was now seemingly even taller than Alric remembered the term ‘lad’ seemed a bit strange. Still, the Kelvic Okomo was three he seemed to remember – that was still a strange fact for him, his mind telling him one thing and his eyes another. He looked around Alric’s own age, perhaps slightly younger. There were some changes though, his gaze drawn to a strange light that seemed to emanate from his hand and he raised an eyebrow slightly as his eyed it. He said nothing, though, not yet. Curiosity for knowledge filled him but rudeness was not something he enjoyed.

“You look well, same as last time. I suppose your land agrees with you, and so it should, given what I’ve learned of it since. The jungle provides, no?” he said with a slight grin, “as for what I’m doing here. I come here often, I have learned many things at the Outpost. Besides which I’m not likely to get stabbed here so it’s as good a place as any to visit. I was thinking of checking upon some things, perhaps purchasing a couple of things. Perusing the weapons market, searching for interesting things, expanding my knowledge…take your pick” he finished with a slightly larger smile.

“How I’ve been, well that’s a long story. Or many stories. A lot happens in Sunberth and my life in general. But I did take your lessons to heart, been practising, bit by bit. Got a job and that’s been…interesting. Did some work for your mother, though not seen her again yet to exchange. Um, what else…oh yeah, got caught in a cage match or two, explored some ruins…you know…normal stuff” he chuckled slightly at that.

He glossed over the fact that he lived here, every so often with Taz, he didn’t know how much Moritz might know of their arrangement, or of him and what the Founders knew, so he opted for caution rather than involve himself in Skyan politics from afar and cause trouble. He had grown used to not telling people everything whilst also not lying. Part of working at Ruby’s was rubbing off on him in a positive way at least, if not necessarily physically.

“What about you, you been up to much? Come for another round of sparring? Or different business this time? Perhaps we could join forces upon our Outpost quests?”

Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Chance Meetings [Moritz]

Postby Moritz Craven on January 8th, 2022, 1:35 am

Moritz was not overly surprised when Alric seemed to remember him. But then, Moritz reasoned, he was quite a distinct fellow and they had discussed things and interacted at length. Much longer than most of the other people he had met the season prior, and one of the few besides Zach he had tried to teach things to.

His designation as his being the man with the strange eyes was responded to with a shrug, not untrue in his estimation. After all, Moritz reasoned, few others likely had eyes like him. Only other Okomo marked with Iraso sight, of which he was unsure of any others existing, or possibly a goat or such with similar eyes who had been marked... That seemed less likely, particularly where Alric was from far from Kalea.

Moritz watched the mans response and saw his eyes move about and down, but did not connect this to the new change in his hand.

However as he spoke on learning of things of his land Moritz grew curious, frowning in concentration as he tried to puzzle over that comment. If it was after they had met it meant... Moritz puzzled through things... Then he most likely had to have met another person from Syka since their prior meeting. Someone who had informed him of Syka and things about it.

"Well enough I suppose. Have you met someone else then from Syka, since we last met? There aren't that many people in such a small settlement, perhaps it is someone I know? Do you know their name? I can't imagine you learning more of the place any other way..."

His other words seemed a bit more vague, simply noting that he visited the Outpost regularly. Moritz did so at times, more on some seasons than others, while on some seasons he did not visit at all or barely at all. Though his mentioning of knowledge gained also seemed odd by comparison to his own memories of the man and his own past visits.

"You've learned many things here? What sorts of things? I'd be interested in whatever knowledge you've managed to gain here, I'm always looking for learn new things. I feel like I've met some people, and had a chance to practice some things, but I've not necessarily learned much in terms of new knowledge. Most people seem more interested in selling something rather than teaching anything or dispersing knowledge. Though as we know from my small bit of tutelage last season, you as surely some other people, are interested in learning things. I suppose its safer then to learn things here over Sunberth, from what you've said of the place. It doesn't seem exactly... A bastion of knowledge, as far as cities go."

Pausing for a moment Moritz pondered his words, considering his own reasons for coming.

"I tend to visit the weapons markets when I visit as well. I'm hoping to find something or other of interest, perhaps a new weapon to acquire. I'm not really sure what I'm looking for, just... I hope I'll know it when I see it. Plus I suppose I could do with some weapons I can use at a range, since all of my current ones are for up close. But besides that, I've just been looking and hoping to find something interesting."

Hearing things were going well for the man Moritz nodded along, happy for him. As he did the pink colored star turned a golden hue, such as one might see in a sun set. At the mention of his mother though it faded away, turning back to a more neutral white color.

"It seems like a fair number of people I meet in the Outpost mention later when I see them again they've met my mother... Or that they know her. Your at least... I think the third one I've spoken to who has said that. I've not seen her of late either. I thought we would meet here since I'm no longer in Lhavit but... I suppose she is busy with work or such things, and so hasn't made the visit..."

As Moritz trailed off with his words the star turned a blue hue, slowly fading back to white and turning full white as he snapped his attention back from his distraction and to Alric.

As the topic turned back to himself Moritz eyes tilted up to the sky as he tried to pull through his memories, thinking back on recent events.

"Lets see, what has happened of late... I got some new jewelry... Had an odd dream... Woke up from said dream with this star in my hand and my skyglass star and one of my swords missing... Which also seems to have gotten stuck in my hand, sort of... Had a spar with a god on a beach, learned some lessons.... I'm still trying to work that one out, probably need to practice using it, but I don't think it'd be wise to try it again on stone, sparring... And I'd need to spar to work on what the god gave me... Uh, and I found a strange chest washed up on a beach and ended up acquiring some odd clothes inside. I suppose that is the main things of late..."

As usual Moritz spoke of such things in his normal neutral and offhand tone, his star staying white throughout as he placed no difference on one event over another in his storytelling.

As as afterthought and having finished thinking of the past Moritz returned his gaze to Alric, once more moving his gaze at eye level.

"If you are planning to go weapon shopping I would not mind going with you. I do wish there was a better place to spar around here though, though I'm not even sure where to begin looking for such a place. I do need to work on my new gift, the god who gave it seemed to make it clear its use was contingent on practicing it."

WC: 1,001
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Chance Meetings [Moritz]

Postby Alric Lysane on January 8th, 2022, 12:46 pm

“An innkeeper, Tazrae,” he told him simply, there seemed little reason to hide it given Syka was a small place and everyone would probably know everyone else, “bumped into her in the market actually. Looking for games, then we played some games over some food. She told me much of Syka, sounds like quite the interesting place. Maybe I will visit one day” he continued smoothly, sticking to the generalities.

He had nothing against Moritz, he was fairly sure that he wouldn’t be an enemy as he didn’t seem to have the dark heart for it from what he remembered, but even knowing what Alric was would be a danger and so he’d not drag him into any of the Nymkarta and Arcadius business unless he truly had to. Despite their differing opinions, though some of those may be less different now he thought, he liked the Kelvic. He was an odd sort but he saw nothing but light within him, he was the kind of person he thought the better of his ancestors would have sought to protect.

“Do you not seek knowledge in Syka then? I’d have thought that in a place seemingly forging its own destiny you’d be surrounded by things you could learn that you didn’t know,” he said with a mild sense of amusement, he knew he’d be learning everything he could if he were in Moritz’s position, “but yes, many things. I met a Konti and found books about Cyphrus poisons, met a few more from Lhavit and learned of the Drykas and some about dogs and I learnt quite a bit about myself along the way too. And you’d be surprised, I found Sunberth’s library. Rough and ready as it is it’s not so bad, doesn’t matter what it is for me – soup recipe, myths and legends, random herbals – I have fund that I simply enjoy the fact that I have found, and brought alive once more, the knowledge itself”

Alric noted how the colour of the thing in Moritz’s hand seemed to change colour as they spoke, indeed across a very short period of conversation it seemed to shift a few times. It reminded Alric of Auristics, though he was certain that he wasn’t using his. He was distracted by it, so much so that he had to run through the man’s words again before he could respond and he forgot to bring up the fact that he had changed some of his positions upon their previous discussions also. When he started to bring up events that seemed all too familiar to Alric his lips curled up at the edges with amusement and he shook his head slightly.

“Seems like things have been going around quite a bit of late,” he said in an amused tone, “you describe things that are familiar to me. I too have discovered a chest with things in it, had a dream and then woke with a strange item – though not a…stone…in my hand, which changes colour apparently – and though I haven’t had a spar with a God, I did have quite the surprise discussion, and surprise, with a Goddess. Strange, so far apart in the world and yet still the same events. The divines work strange games indeed, no?”

“Well Moritz,” he patted the man’s shoulder and gestured for him to follow as he began the walk towards where he remembered the bazaar was, “you certainly have quite the nonchalant way of describing quite large and strange events. But if you wish to visit the market with me then you are welcome to do so. I am sorry that Madeira doesn’t seem to visit you, I can imagine that might be a sad thing. When I see her again, whenever that is, I’ll tell her to visit you. But you can always spend time with friends, sometimes that is better anyway, wouldn’t you say?”

They set a slow pace towards the bazaar, they were in no rush and besides which he expected Moritz would have a number of questions. He remembered he did like to cross examine things a lot and the fact they had both had similar events simply begged for such investigation. Their walk would be interesting, if nothing else, Alric suspected.

Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Chance Meetings [Moritz]

Postby Moritz Craven on January 8th, 2022, 2:48 pm

At the mention of Tazrae Moritz nodded, knowing right away who he meant. While there were few people in Syka overall there were still many Moritz did not know, and of the ones he had met quite a few whose names he did not know. Or had forgotten... Tazrae though he remembered.

"Yes, I know Tazrae, we've met a few times. We went on a hunt, have met at the tenday, and some other occasions. I am not sure if we are friends or not, but certainly at least... Mmm... Good acquaintances."

Here Moritz struggled for a fitting word, unsure what to call the relationship between himself and Tazrae. While they were friendly enough, and had met and interacted, he was unsure if calling them friends would not be an exaggeration.

"I think we talked about that last time we met, didn't we? Though I'm still unsure how long of a trip it would be. Most people come over from Riverfall to get to Syka, other than that I'm not sure how to get there. Nor where Sunberth is in relation to Syka or Riverfall. Perhaps we could find a large map that would show it."

At Alric turning the questioning back on Moritz the kelvic pondered, his star turning a murky grey as he wondered perhaps a bit too deeply on his reasons for being in Syka. Knowledge? What knowledge did he seek?

"Knowledge? I suppose the reason I am in Syka, the knowledge I seek... Involves a path of death and the power to kill something trying to kill a god... Something I am currently inadequate for. But I don't think such things are easy to find, even if I was adequate..."

Turning to less serious topics and from his own lacking progress Moritz pondered further what he was learning and what he was doing in Syka, his star turning a more neutral white once more.

"For now, I think my biggest barrier to Syka, is Syka. Going off to explore alone would just end with me dead. I just don't have the skills to survive alone exploring such places around the city. The wilds. Even the settlement itself is pretty wild. Maybe once I work on that and expand my skills in working the wilds I can explore more, and gain some knowledge, but for now... Well I'm rather limited. If you plan to come to Syka, I would advise working on your skills in exploring and surviving the wilds."

He was rather surprised to hear that Alric had over the past season since they last met had some of the same or similar experiences as Moritz had. He did not overly believe in chance, which meant either a truly unlikely set of dual or more occurrences in common had occurred... Or more likely and logically, something had caused both occurrences in common which had resulted in both of them having the same experience or a similar one...

"Yes, I suppose so. Likely something going on among the gods. I find it unlikely otherwise, chance isn't something I strongly believe in. Which means something is the cause of such things in common, not random chance..."

Pausing for a moment while following along with Alric's lead Moritz considered the mans words more carefully. Last they had met he had been quite clear on his views on magic. Now he seemed to be talking of magical events and divine quite calmly as if they were normal. The juxtaposition made Moritz question and want to dig into such hidden facts only revealed by further questioning.

"Wait.... Last we spoke, you seemed quite ardently against magic. If not downright sure everything involving it was trying to kill you or set you on fire. Now you mention some events which seem magical. Did something happen since we last met?"

Trying to meet the mans eyes he wished for a moment he could peer into his soul, but knew he did not have the ability. And so he settled for a eye gouging glare, hoping to find out what the man was thinking.

"I am fine with visiting the market, looking for anything of interest. As I mentioned before, I often look about in hopes of finding something of interest. Though what that would be I do not know... Is there anything specific you are trying to find?"

The Kelvic had little social nicety in his words, coming off as bluntly as an interrogator as he questioned and tried to both understand and ferret out more information. Such was just Moritz nature, and not much different from the last time they met and had asked quite a few pointed questions.

At the mention of friends Moritz star turned blue once more, at the Kelvic looked up at the sky in thought. While to some such a question would be friendly, to Moritz it simply sent the youth into thinking.

"I'm not really sure I have any friends. What exactly do you consider a friend? Or what makes someone a friend? Back in Lhavit I had my classmates, but I doubt I will ever see them again, and I have outgrown them all... They are still children, while I look like this... And my combat instructor, I'm not sure if she was my friend... I had a dog, but I had to leave her behind. She was a mountain dog, so not suited for a jungle... Now that I am in Syka I have acquaintances, and people I interact or talk or spar with... Tazrae, and the scaled woman, and others... But I am not sure they are friends, or just passing people as well. What exactly changes someone from a passing acquaintance to a friend? What are we then? Do you have people you consider friends? Here, in Sunberth, or otherwise?"

WC: 968
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Chance Meetings [Moritz]

Postby Alric Lysane on January 9th, 2022, 3:34 pm

“Trying to kill a god? That seems…quite difficult to deal with,” he said in a quizzical tone, looking at him to see if he were jesting and knowing he wasn’t, he suspected Moritz didn’t jest often, “I would imagine that you’d need a god to kill a god” he reasoned, it made sense though it didn’t help the man.

“I will remember about the survival skills, though it can’t be too difficult given where I come from it is a different kind of jungle. Still it sounds as if you need it more than I, perhaps it’s time to fast track those skills. I’m sure there are plenty of people there who might be able to help you after all” he suggested softly.

They walked slowly as they talked and it gave him time to think upon Moritz’s words and turn them over in his mind. He wanted to kill something killing a god? He thought he had problems with Florentin but apparently Moritz wanted to have an even bigger problem. Though, being fair, he didn’t know he wanted to…perhaps he had to? It was certainly a tantalising thing, the notion of doing what he talked about. He only really had one question, though it would be up to Moritz to answer or not, he wasn’t about to pry too much given he was keeping his own secrets.

“Hy would you want to kill a god killing a god anyway? Don’t you think it’d be easier to start smaller…a group of bandits or whatever perhaps?”

They walked a little longer and Alric smiled slightly when the man cottoned on eventually, as he was bound to in one way or another, to the fact that since they last met Alric had changed quite a bit. It was strange, he felt more complete, more whole than he had before. There were still pieces missing, he could feel the edges of the holes that riddled his soul and memory, but he felt…brighter. Lighter, perhaps, even. He had been divinely marked, had his choice upon magic removed to a certain degree, and as such had embraced what he could as much as he could. He still didn’t like himself much, for many reasons, but he had at least made some form of tentative peace with magic and its uses.

“I believe in chance but sometimes things are more than they appear,” he agreed easily, it was an easy agreement to make, “and I still think magic is dangerous. In fact, I’m certain it is the most dangerous thing and that mages have still caused the most damage to this world, except for the divines. But no…I don’t think your eyes are about to shoot fireballs anymore. I have…educated myself” he continued, leaving it at that for now.

“Many things have happened, not all of which I fully understand. I can only tell you that you were half-right before, when we first met. We shall see, come the end, if that is all” he said softly, looking into the distance for a few moments before returning to the conversation with a smile.

They were getting closer to the market now, but they were not yet fully upon it. He listened, noting how Moritz talked of friendship in a questioning manner, showing that he was not certain about some things. Alric wasn’t surprised, he could imagine that he didn’t get on with everyone. He was an eccentric sort, after all. He nodded along, watching as the star turned blue and assumed that that meant he was thoughtful as it seemed to match with his words.

“In Sunberth friends are people who aren’t going to stab you in the back, or front, and maybe help you survive a little. I’m not sure that it is the classic example of what friendship is,” he said, thoughtful himself as he considered who he thought of as friends, “I suppose friendship is what you think it is. A bond, deeper than passing and just saying hello, someone you can embrace and spend time with but not feel the falling of the sand in the glass. I have a few, though not many, most live across the lands and aren’t in Sunberth. Some might even be a deeper bond than friendship, at least by the standards others might set, unsaid but still deeper”

“So, I suppose the real question is what you consider to be a friend?” he asked the man directly.

Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Chance Meetings [Moritz]

Postby Moritz Craven on January 9th, 2022, 5:13 pm

Moritz nodded at the mans words, agreeing with his understatement.

"If it wasn't difficult, I suppose people would be doing it all the time. And also thus my issue... Though I'm pretty sure the thing trying to kill a god isn't themselves a god, at least not any sort I've heard of... Though I don't rightly know what it is... But all the same, it will kill the god if nothing is done, and no one else seems to be doing anything about it. Its not that I want to seek them out, or deal with such things, but doing nothing seems as bad as helping it happen, and no one else seems to be doing anything, so me trying to do something seems better than nothing."

At the mention of the wilds of Sunberth Moritz smirked for a moment before shaking his head, seeing what the man meant in terms of wording and grammar.

"You can call a rock bread, but it won't make it edible. I think while people might call Sunberth a jungle, its of a different sort. A literal jungle is a entirely different thing. Plants, animals, the land itself, weather, all can be threats. And even if some of that applies to Sunberth, I doubt all do nor would they do so in the same way. So it probably would not be of much help. And I do plan to work on it, its more a matter of finding people who are willing and have time to help me to get better and show me things, rather than the people existing. So far I've either not met many of the people of the sort I need, or they have been too busy to do so."

While Moritz was not being purposely obtuse, having been harangued quite a few times about telling others of his vision and Morwen-or more to the point not telling others about it- he had almost by instinct learned to not mention certain such things, and so did not consider to fill in those specific details.

"I never did though say magic was not dangerous. Its about how it is used, not its existence. If someone really wanted to do harm, they could probably do more harm with a handful of water than another person not meaning harm could do with a blade. There is intention, and then there is outcome. Both are important as well, but I myself tend to place more focus on intent. If someone meant to help, and did harm, I'd prefer that over someone who intended harm but ended up helping. What you meant to do, your intent, that is of import. Not the only thing, since actions and outcomes do matter as well, but I think sometimes less than intent. Many people though only focus on the outcome, and ignore all else."

All the same Moritz was glad Alric had widened his views on magic, seeming to have to a degree accepted it a bit more. Which was good he felt for Moritz himself, seeing as he was a terribly magic filled person. He had magic eyes, was a Kelvic and thus magically shifted forms, and of late had even more magic about him. Someone outright disliking all magic was unlikely to favor such a person.

"I find me myself there are few things I really fully understand, even things I think I do. The world can be both complex and simple at once, quite a confounding place. And the more I figure out, the more I realize how much more I need to learn."

Thinking on his own dreams and thoughts Moritz knew what the man meant to some degree, though not in what respect exactly Alric meant it. But he still emphasized with his meaning.

At his explanation of what a friend was in Sunberth Moritz listened, but was unsure he understood or agreed with what he meant.

"If a friend is simply someone who does not want to kill me, helps me sometimes, and is willing to act in our mutual interest, I probably have quite a few friends... But I'm not sure I agree with that, it seems a bit... Simple... Of a description. But honestly, I am unsure what I consider a friend. If I go by past experience, a friend is someone you get along with and like, who either you or they leave behind and you never see again... My past experience is probably not the best at nailing down friendship... I am not quite three years old, everyone I was was friendly with is now far away, or both far away and the same while I am now quite different. Not just physically, though with how I age physically compared to a human, that is quite obvious... Perhaps I would get along with other Kelvic better, who would understand such things also being a Kelvic and aging similarly.... But I've not met many of those, and even among them I've seen few I consider similar to me... If any. "

His star shifting to a deep blue and then more of a storm grey hue Moritz raised his eyes, looking off into the distance as he spoke.

"A bond... I know even less about that. A Kelvic needs a bond. My father bonded to my mother. I've never even felt the beginnings of such a thing. I'm not sure how it would even work... Or feel. I'm not sure if that is due to me, or other people. Maybe if I found someone to bond to, I would understand such things better. Friends and such. As it is... I just don't really get it, and am unsure if I've ever experienced it. I don't know I've ever experienced that, how you describe a bond. So perhaps I never have had one, or perhaps never will..."

Bonds, or the lack thereof, was another heavy topic that weighed on Moritz mind. As a Kelvic it was a need, a gaping hole needing filling, and yet... And yet he had no such thing.

The star shifting from grey, to white, and back to blue, Moritz thought and spoke on such melancholy things.

"Do you ever consider what you were born as? Or what you will do? What you were born to do? My mother said I was a Craven, born to be a Spiritist. But that has never much interested me. I wonder if you are born with something you will be, or if you are if it can change... Or if you are born as nothing and must find something to be... Make it yourself... I'm nothing like my parents though, either one, so don't find it likely I'll go about following either of their paths."

WC: 1,125
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Chance Meetings [Moritz]

Postby Alric Lysane on January 13th, 2022, 12:03 pm

“I would offer my help, but it would likely be little worth given my being half a world away or more. Still, I do know that often people would rather ignore things than deal with them. Something I know well, looking back upon my life with newer eyes. Perhaps you can share the burden with those in Syka? I’m sure these Founders I keep hearing about might help?” he suggested.

There was little that he could do, that much he was certain of these days. Many times, he had made promises, to Taz and others, but on some level, he suspected that they were accepted for the kind words they were than any expectation that he could do anything. If he were honest with himself, even after a season of training as hard as he could, between the psychological dips and the day to day necessities, he felt a fraud to say to himself he could really achieve much. Perhaps in time his perspective would change but he didn’t feel like a strong protector or some great hero who could defeat the evils, like in the old tales. All he could do was try to make Moritz feel somewhat better about his situation and perhaps offer some advice.

“Perhaps, I suppose. I still have a feeling that it is difficult not to be swayed by such powers. The thing about intent is that it changes with time, or can be moulded to be whatever you want it to be. Or excused, disguised, and so on. In my experience the biggest things we hide from ourselves rather than others. I worry that using magic creeps up on everyone, in the end, and we are all have a weakness in our psychological armour. It just comes down to time. But…it matters not I suppose, it isn’t like there is always a choice” he shrugged, he had ran through the arguments so many times in his head the only things he could claim to know was that – as Eyris had told him – he knew nothing. When Moritz echoed those words, in his own way, a wry smile flashed across his face.

“You know I was told something similar by my divine visitor. Remember when you asked who Eyris was? She paid me a visit, though it was quite the surprise…which would be an understatement,” he snorted to himself, “she said that the first step towards wisdom is to know that you know nothing. I can’t disagree considering she would know, if anyone. I’ve spent many days musing upon our meeting and her words. I think, for such a simple phrase, it has much deeper meanings”

He listened then, as they made their way towards the edge of the Open Sky Bazaar, to his words upon friendship and noting his star hand flashed back to blue once again. It was certainly a strange new accessory, something that was difficult to get used to and which would likely get him more than a few strange looks from the market goers soon to surround them in their embraces. He paused upon the verges, watching the crowd intently for any sign of malfeasance. He knew the Outpost was protected but he still didn’t fancy his chances getting jumped by any of Arcadius’ hunters just yet, perhaps after another season’s training.

“It sounds like you have to decide what a friend is to you then, Moritz, before you can begin to decide what people fall into that category,” he said thoughtfully, looking at him with a slightly different light at his surprising candidness about his ‘problem’, “I don’t think anyone can define that for you fully. Advice, maybe, but what matters most to you will tell you what relationships mean most to you. The only thing I can say is to choose your friends as wisely as you can, the blade that is closest to you is usually the one that cuts deepest if turned upon you as they say” he said, patting the man’s shoulder slightly.

“As for Bonds…I am not sure that I know much about them other than the usual knowledge that people know they exist. Again I would think you should choose carefully and not regret rather than rush in and face worse outcomes” he continued, still eyeing the market and looking for faces that seemed familiar, that may have followed him before at some point or other perhaps, but seeing nothing.

His last question caused him to blink a few times as it registered and then chuckle to himself a little at the unknowing pointedness of his querying.

“If only you knew,” he said with slight mirth in his voice, but also sadness, “I never used to. I used to live my life, steal and odd job my way to a full belly and a warmish bed. I never really thought about much at all, if I am honest. Perhaps that was for the best back then….as for now…more often than I would like. Fate is a strange thing and seems to have a sense of humour also. I know more of my origin now than I ever did and it has brought closure, along with other things. But it hasn’t helped me define what my future will be. I am undecided upon whether we have destinies, or whether we can choose. I’d like to think we can choose, and I live my life assuming that, choosing my path with it in my mind”

“But mostly….I suppose mostly I just hope that I live a long life and don’t get killed before I see grey in my hair” he laughed, tapped his shoulder once more in a jesting companionable way and then looked out upon the market once more, sure they would be safe enough.

“I suppose, as with most of my answers, it comes down to what you want to believe. So long as you live your life in accord with that then you can be happy you were true to yourself when that time comes”

Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Chance Meetings [Moritz]

Postby Moritz Craven on January 15th, 2022, 3:15 pm

Moritz shrugged in response to Alric's comment, true enough but not really helpful. But then, he reflected, he had not really been asking for help, just explaining things... So then was help even expected? Probably not, he reasoned.

"Possibly. I've told them about it, and if they are doing anything they've not mentioned it to me. So, as far as I know, no one else is working on it actively. It is a rather big problem to try and address, not something to be rushed into."

On the topic of magic Alric seemed to have changed some of his views, though some of what he said also seemed discordant with Moritz own understanding and experience.

"Wait so... I'm not sure I understand. You don't take issue with magic for being magic but... Because it... Tempts people? In what way?"

Here the Kelvic pondered for several moments, trying to think of a time he had been swayed by a temptation. Was it perhaps a product of Alric and Sunberth? Or his age? Would he in time also do likewise?

"I know the term... Being swayed... Tempted... But I can't really think of a time I've been tempted. I think one time I was tempted to eat a colorful flower, it did look like nice... But I just waited till I got home to eat... What sort of temptations do you mean? Or what sort in regards to magic?"

The Kelvic looked at the human with a serious expression, quite clearly not joking in his demeanor but seriously not understanding the concept well. Another thought occurred to him then. Perhaps it was also inherent in the types of magics he knew?

"My magical-ness perhaps is a bit different than the ones your thinking of... My eyes, my shifting... Ghosts... I mean I suppose someone could do something bad to a ghost if a strong Spiritist, but I pretty much struggle to make basic soulmist so that's not really an issue. And I don't really understand why someone would harass or Lie to a ghost, so I don't think that is too tempting... And I'm not sure what hurt I could do with my eyes..."

At the turn of the conversation to Eyris Moritz nodded again, a bit surprised that a divine being had recently told Alric something similar to one of his own personal musings.

"Right but... If you didn't know you don't know something, why would you even be trying to learn? I have to assume I know nothing, or else I would not always be asking so many questions and trying to understand things. Eyris seems like a sensible lady god... Goddess. And then once I do know something, I try to learn new things while also testing that prior thing to make sure it is valid and a true foundation to build on. Otherwise I would still think magic involved skinning ghosts for shoe power..."

Here Moritz wandered off to a personal bit of information which likely would not make sense out of context, but in the moment the even younger Kelvic had thought it was true from how magic was first explained. Partly due to a complex topic, and partly due to confused vocabulary, he had then gone quite off track on the difference with a soul and soles.

Pondering Alrics words on bonds and friendship Moritz nodded along in consideration, unsure how he himself felt about such things.

"Hmmm... I'm not sure. I think if I do have a friend... It is probably Infinity, my old house. It was a bit odd at times, but was always open and inviting and helpful, and listened... But I left it behind in Lhavit... Ah to explain, Infinity wasn't a normal building, like these sleeping ones, it was alive in a way. Perhaps my mother knows more of it. But I grew up there. I think I miss the house more than my mother..."

For once Moritz did realize from context that his talking about a building like a person would be confusing, and requited additional explanation. A possible sign of growth for the Kelvic that he had figured it out himself and not been told. As the two began to enter the meaning of life and basic philosophy Moritz pondered a bit more deeply before responding.

"I suppose that is fair enough. Plus, I suppose it doesn't matter either way. If you have a destiny, there is no hoping, and even fighting it was part of your destiny. If you don't have one, then you must build a future. So either way, whether it exists or not, you should act the same..."

Looking around Moritz watched the market, getting the attention of a Keiss and getting some simple directions to the weapon area of the market. With a location in mind Moritz headed off with Alric, a few turns away and a short walk to were the weapons and such things would begin.

WC: 824
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next