Chance Meetings [Moritz]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Herein lies Xyna's Outpost, and her gift to Mizahar's people. It is a magical place full of potential and possibility where all can gather and exchange ideas and commerce.

Moderator: Gossamer

Chance Meetings [Moritz]

Postby Alric Lysane on January 19th, 2022, 3:30 pm

“It sounds, though, as if there is a time limit. Perhaps, if that is so, people could be encouraged to push it further? Ultimately it is your decision, we all have our own paths that we must tread. Some are more difficult than others” he said, nodding to himself at things he had mused upon many times of late.

Alric listened to Moritz and his talk about being tempted, hearing how a great temptation for the Kelvic had been eating a flower – of all things to be tempted by. He supposed, though, that being part animal it was natural. Certainly, he had been known to do much for little, almost inconsequential, things himself in the past. At least there was a taste motivation for the Okomo. He found himself wondering if that was why Moritz had been so defiant in their last meeting, because he had not faced the temptation of true hunger, madness or some other such motivation from the grubby streets.

“No, I don’t mean that kind of temptation,” he said after a few moments of blinking and wondering how best to explain himself, “tell me Moritz, have you ever been starving? So stomach achingly that you’d do anything, literally anything, for a single bowl of soup? What would you do, if you were starving to death, and the only way you could think to gain relief was to use magic to force someone to give you their food? Or a weapon, a weapon is a good example too”

“Or, perhaps, you’ve been so envious and angry with someone, perhaps even legitimately for something they did to you, or someone you loved? So righteously direct on your belief that this wrong must be righted that you inflicted harm upon the one you considered the evil doer?”

“Before you spoke of intent, and you were right. What you were missing was the idea that the scale of what it is possible to do evil with increases exponentially with magical ability. Magic, itself, whispers and calls to you…a dark voice, suggestive and powerful. No one is immune to everything. Be it hunger, desperation, wrath, greed…we are all breakable…and so, can do terrible things. No one in exempt, myself included” he sighed at that, wishing it was not so but remembering that day he had first experienced Flux with Taz.

As they entered the market, he made sure they stuck close together, partly because he didn’t want either of them to be pickpocketed – a habit that died hard considering his upbringing – but partly because it made conversation easier. As they wove through the crowded, shifting throngs he listened and raised his eyebrows at the idea of a sentient house. Or at least that’s what Moritz seemed to describe. His comments upon Eyris were forgotten by the ludicrously delightful idea of an Okomo Kelvic spending Bells upon Bells discussing things with a house that had no mouth.

He really had no chance at being ‘normal’ did he? he thought to himself as they kept pushing through the crowds, forging their way towards the better options in regards to weapons dealers. He had been there often in his Outpost meanderings and so knew the way.

“Why am I not surprised that you grew up in a talking house?” he said with wry amusement, “I suppose next you will tell me that the ground itself was alive and could form itself into earth bodies or some such? How does a house speak anyway?” he asked, curious.

“No,” he said at the talk of destiny, “I don’t think it does matter. In my experience I think the people without gran destines live happier lives. At least they don’t have to worry about much beyond finding someone to share life with and having as much fun as possible…ah…here we are!” he declared as they stood before one of the choicest dealers in death the Outpost had to offer.

“I hope that you only have such warm things to look forwards to Moritz, it would be a good life” he scratched his chin, casting his gaze around and wondering if anything might take either of their fancy.

~ Thanks to Gossamer/Shiress for post Boxcodes ~
Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Words: 1010203
Joined roleplay: October 29th, 2021, 5:41 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)

Chance Meetings [Moritz]

Postby Moritz Craven on January 20th, 2022, 3:11 am

Moritz nodded at Alric's comment once more, a true enough statement.

"There is a time limit, but I don't know I can grow any faster than I am, and there is no point in going off half ready. And I don't know that there is anything further I can do to convince anyone to help, I made the situation and its timeliness clear to begin with... Assuming there isn't another way to do it...""

Pondering for a moment Moritz considered what his actual goal was, which was to free Morwen and return her... But did that technically mean killing the thing that took her?

"I mean... I suppose... If say... Something strong enough to kill a god took something, or someone, guarded within their own stronghold... How would you get it back? I guess I've assumed I had to fight, but perhaps there are other options? And what would you need to be able to do to then do that..."

Moritz would ponder and give Alric some time to respond, interested to hear what the man said. Being from Sunberth in that regard he might have a better frame of reference on how to go about such a thing, even if normally in dealing with simpler things than divine beings.

At Alric's question in turn Moritz thought for a moment, before shaking his head.

"Not that I can think of. I grew up in Lhavit, and while my mother wasn't much for cooking there were always things to eat around. As for envy... I know the word, and what it means, but I can't really think of a time I've been envious. Big houses and things don't really interest me. As long as I've got a decent place to stay, food to eat,and such, I don't know that I'm overly needy. I'm more interested in learning new things and skills and such than getting a useless bauble. I mean what do you even do with those. Look at them? Anyways... I suppose I've been envious of others skills, but only in the sense that I look at it as something to achieve. I mean they put in the work to get them, so I could to, but my gaining them doesn't mean them losing them. "

At the topic of anger Moritz thought for a bit again, growing silent, wondering again.

"I suppose as I've said before there is that one being I may need to kill... But besides that, I can't say its overly an anger thing. More... Logic. If they need killing, if their actions justify it, is there anything wrong with it? I'd prefer not to kill, but fleeing Death is a rather moot point, Dira collects what she wishes when she wishes. What does it matter if you do it with a empty fist, a blade in the gut, or magic, dead is dead. Besides that... Not really."

While Moritz was truly trying to understand what Alric was saying, his own personal experiences simply limited him from fully understanding like a fish in water not understanding air.

At the mention of whispering Moritz frowned, thinking on the topic again.

"Magic... Whispers? Like literally talks? If so, I've not heard it. I don't know if thats related to my magic, I mainly just look at things or make soulmist for ghosts for Spiritism. Which part of that would make me hungry to... Whatever with whispers?"

Shaking his head at one of Alric's comments Moritz made a point which he thought he had made clear earlier.

"Talk? I never said the house could talk. I said it was alive. Does a tree talk for being alive. At least not to me, perhaps my mother... They always seemed very close. So perhaps they could talk. No Infinity couldn't talk. It just listened, and made itself clear by its actions. Like reshaping a wall, building a new room, or opening a door. Or one time waking me up by dropping my bed... But not with words."

As Alric explained what he considered a good life, Moritz pondered. What did he want in his own life? He didn't think it was those things Alric described.

"Sharing with people, and... Fun? Is that what you want from life? I'm not sure I want the same things... Of course, I grew up in a house walked on by Dira, so perhaps life and Death takes on a somewhat different meaning when that is how you are raised... Although my mother was always funny about that, she often said one thing about life and Death, Dira and such, but when it came to her kids she changed her tune. It always seemed a bit hypocritical to me, she didn't seem very happy when I pointed that out... Never did explain why..."

Pondering for a moment something he still didn't fully understand, Moritz noticed at Alric's comment where they were.

Looking over at the weapon merchant Moritz spent a moment just getting his bearings, before taking a step closer to look around.

As they passed a row of sharp pointy items Moritz looked at Alric once more, remembering something.

"Ah, I forget if I asked, are there any items or weapons in particular you are hoping to find?"

WC: 873
Moritz Craven
Player

Words: 1102948
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2019, 11:58 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)

Chance Meetings [Moritz]

Postby Alric Lysane on January 24th, 2022, 7:54 am

“If it is a question of strength, perhaps you could convince some of the gods to help?” he suggested after a while of thought, “I mean…they might not even know what has happened to her. Maybe if they knew that something thought it could just capture a goddess and have their way with her they’d help and do something? I mean, how long before it goes for another divine being, for example? Seems to me the gods and kind of like a big, argumentative family anyway. Family might hate each other, but that doesn’t mean they’d let an outsider kill one of their own”

He wasn’t sure of the soundness of his logic, but it seemed right to him, not that he was an expert on the divines. He had only met one and, if he were honest, he was not a traditionally religious person. He was fairly sure, despite her words, that Eyris had marked him because she was in some way his family. He had demonstrated interest in her domains, of course, but somewhere deep down he did wonder if she had simply waited for him to do so before inserting herself. He was quite happy with the result either way, he had learned more about himself and many other things since and his Lykata was developing nicely, even if it was limited in its power due to how gnosis seemed to work.

“If you’re asking for strategy, I tend to think that getting what you want without fighting is usually best, if harder sometimes. Especially when you’re not strong enough to properly fight. Perhaps there is a way to get what you seek but without yourself actually fighting. I don’t know, but in my experience people trend towards violence too easily and forget other means along the way” he finished, noting very pointedly to himself that the season had been his most violent in some time and wishing, in many ways, that it had not been.

For a time after his own words he listened to Moritz and, not for the first time, found that people from other places just didn’t seem to understand what he meant when he described basic things about Sunberth. It was a familiar situation, with him trying to tell others, things that they had no real frame of reference for. Taz, Moritz, Zach…everyone. It wasn’t their fault and, if he were honest, he was glad that they hadn’t suffered such hardships. He did note, though, that alongside such lacking experience there was the assumption of positivity over realism. It was easy to speak of things being tools rather than inherent dangers when one hadn’t truly had hardship in their lives. He shrugged it off as he normally did, he had his frame of reference and it was different to other people’s. He doubted that would change any time soon, his position on magic softened likely about as much as it ever would.

“Yes, whispers. Not actual ones really, but within. Like a conscience but different, I suppose. Magic has a mind of its own, in a way. It’s…difficult to explain. But it knows what it wants and mages are just the conduits. It has no morals, it just wants to fulfil its purpose. And it preys upon weak minds. That is why it is so dangerous. Of all the mages who have ever lived in the thousands of years, I have no doubt that most of them didn’t survive to become the pinnacles of legend people remember now” he shrugged, certain of what he said but not knowing if Moritz would believe him.

He nodded his apologies at his mistake with the house, he hadn’t truly comprehended what Moritz had talked about but as he explained further he grew more curious, though his thoguhts upon the matter were sidetracked by what the lad said next, talking aobut life and his mother once more. He wondered whether there were unfinished emotional links between them that Moritz didn’t see. He did seem to have something there, though Alric couldn’t quite put his finger upon it. He acknowledge that it could be argued that he felt similar – at least in the fact that there was unresolved business with his parents, that he wanted to see them again and ask so many questions.

“Parents often do what they think is best to protect their children, even if their children cannot understand that, or why they thought it was the right protective decision,” he said with a wry smile, knowing thathe had thought much upon such topics, “in the end they do their best, and they are fallible. The only thing we can do is try to do better and, perhaps, make them proud at times. But I have simple desires, and a complicated life. I have had many battles in my life, and will have many more eventually. It would be nice, for myself at least, if I could have a period of time where I just enjoyed life afterwards. We value what we crave most, perhaps that means that I’m just a soft man deep down” he finished with a snort of amusement.

“And I am searching for a weapon, a particular type of weapon that I read about once. Voril weapons they are called, very special and very rare. I have been to this market, and other, many times this season but have yet to find one. If you have better luck than I then well done my friend, because I have tried quite hard” he said, turning to look across the selection once more, picking up a few here and there to study their edges and wondering whether he might need a new dagger, whether it was Voril or not.

Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Chance Meetings [Moritz]

Postby Moritz Craven on February 6th, 2022, 3:22 pm

Moritz pondered Alric's words for a few moments before returning his words with a noncommittal shrugging gesture.

"I think I made it quite clear to quite a few people. If they don't know about it, there isn't much more I can do to let them know. Either they cannot act, or they choose not to. Or perhaps they've offered help in some indirect way that I haven't noticed. I have run into quite a few odd scenarios over the last few seasons or years which perhaps cannot all be laid down to random chance... But I can't really say one way or the other on most of those. Maybe I'm just lucky, or unlucky depending on how you look at it."

Considering back Moritz worked his mind over the memory or vision or whatever of Morwens vanishing... He did not think the same thing happening again was all too likely... More like she had stumbled upon another beings domain and been captured while there and weak, so probably not too likely to occur again.

"Perhaps normally, but from my understanding, its not all too likely to happen again, so perhaps that wouldn't really be a motivator either... I don't pretend to understand the divine all that well, I don't even know the names of that many let alone how they think."

At his other words on violence and such action Moritz pondered even further, trying for a moment to think how a Sunberthian would think. If he wanted something... And acting by violence was not a option by means of his inadequate power compared to the other party... Then perhaps he could just... Steal her back? The idea seemed valid at some level, but how it would be done was another thing entirely.

"Hmmm.... Then that brings up another question. How does one... Steal things? I honestly have no idea, I've never needed to or tried. I assume as with anything you start small, but I don't even know where to begin. It seems perhaps more possible than violence, but I know more about fighting than theft. But clearly in this case fighting isn't an option..."

At the words on magic and whispers Moritz puzzled once more, but was unsure he understood.

"Hmmm... Well like I said, perhaps it doesn't apply to the magic I know. Lets think about it, magic, logically. What sort of magic were you using when you heard it? Perhaps that would better help in understanding why or when it applies. Making soulmist for instance isn't really draining, beyond the bit of blood used. It uses more the djed of the other thing, the food, I'm changing. And with my eyes it is more on or off, not really variable. So perhaps that is an element to it? Perhaps if I know more about how magic worked I would understand it."

As they moved further into the market and nearer the weapons the focus slowly shifted from the conversation to the items they were viewing. This gave Moritz a good excuse to talk without meeting Alric's gaze, something he tried to do from observing others but which never came naturally to the Kelvic. Instead he could focus more on the items and weapons and things around them, while only occasionally glancing at Alric for bearings.

"Mmm... I wonder what that says about me. I think what I value most is experience. Skills, knowledge, training. But for me those are all just a means to an end, not the actual end, so perhaps there is some deeper layer of desire I don't see in myself..."

"Voril... Weapon... Is that a material type, or perhaps related to how its crafted? Or something else in its nature? I'm not sure I understand what you mean. But sure, if its rare I would enjoy finding one and seeing it if we can."

Turning around he looked at one spot to another, before finding a stand that looked quite well to do. He wasn't sure how well known Voril was, having never heard of it before, and so tried to question the man in a round about way.

"Excuse me, do you have any... Special... Weapons...? Me and my comrade here are interested."

WC: 702
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Chance Meetings [Moritz]

Postby Alric Lysane on February 22nd, 2022, 2:45 pm

“Perhaps, then, the first stages could be to do so. To try to learn of them all, understand them as best one can. Perhaps seek some out, somehow, for discussion or revelation. I’d find it very difficult to believe that they’d choose to wipe out a race of people if they truly knew what the specifics of the situation were. Though, I suppose I am no holy person, so I could be wrong. I do know, though, that knowing one’s self, one’s enemies and one’s allies can be a good first step upon dangerous paths” he suggested to the man.

He wasn’t honestly sure what to advise given the situation, or indeed even how much Moritz desired to invest his entire life into the enterprise. He could imagine that there might be reservations and caution given the stakes in the situation. He understood that well enough, his own path not exactly filled with an overabundance of joy when it came to the twists of destiny and his foes. Allies, though, were another matter and he knew full well he’d not even know his path – let alone be able to travel it – without them.

“As to stealing, it depends upon what it is you actually want to steal. Different things require different methods, or times. And a whole host of other things to think about,” he said, wondering how best to explain to someone who clearly had never really even thought about such matters, “take your coin pouch, for example, it might be as easy as distracting you and cutting the strings it dangled by. Then pocketing it before you noticed and then walking off”

“Distraction makes things easiest, usually. If you want to steal cargo from a building, then you need time and access. Obviously, any guards will not grant this…so you find a way to occupy them. Perhaps offer them a group of hired whores. Or set fire to something they value to get them to protect it. Or drug them until they sleep soundly…a whole host of things. I could teach you some, though I am no master by any means”

He trailed off after listing things, the subject was not one he had really been taught formally, it was something he had made up as he had gone through life. Sometimes he had been more successful than others, but he had always lived on the edge of things, one step away from disaster. When he stole things there was some planning, in general, but a lot of it was improvised due to the very nature of larceny itself – it was a fluid situation, depending upon variables that couldn’t always be predicted. To teach Moritz would require time that perhaps they did not have upon a chance meeting. At the questions upon magic he sensed once more the way his mind worked – logical, direct and progressing along pathways towards conclusions. He wasn’t sure he could explain how he felt to someone who thought so differently to himself, but he was willing to try.

“I think you can experience it with all personal magics, though it sounds like what you’re talking about falls under world magic – if I remember properly. The two are apparently different, though again I am no master on such things. Honestly, I never intended to learn anything, but circumstances are what they are,” he sighed, eyes looking through the crowd and seeing nothing untoward he could see, “as for your other question. That is complicated as it depends upon how much strain you put yourself through. The most dangerous I have learned of so far, though, is Flux. It has an attractiveness to it”

“Voril is a type of weapon, a magical one. Apparently, to those gifted with the right bloodlines, they can be quite useful. They form bonds with the wielder, can be summoned and dismissed and other things. They are rare, beyond rare apparently, and if you don’t have the gift then you’d never even know what it was, so they say. Mostly I am just curious by nature and wanted to see if I could find one, one day”

Moritz then engaged the shopkeeper in conversation, which offered Alric the chance to think upon things and look upon the weapons upon display. It was a thorny problem, the Voril one, as he wasn’t even sure he had the right blood for it. If he did not then he’d never find one, and if he did it would probably be when he least expected it. Life had a way of surprising him these days, he knew. Things had changed so quickly he wasn’t even sure what to expect next, much less how to predict it. He did know, however, that he had a growing sense of urgency, much like Taz had described to him earlier in the season.

Something was about to happen, though he couldn’t put his finger on what. Or a series of somethings. He only knew he had to be as prepared as he could be and that a Voril weapon – should he be able to wield them as his father’s blood suggested – would be a good ally upon the darkening path. So far, he had learned and developed three magics, with plans for a fourth should things go well for Taz, a fifth would round out some of the gaps in his abilities and open up options he didn’t currently possess.

Words: 902

Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Chance Meetings [Moritz]

Postby Moritz Craven on February 23rd, 2022, 1:30 am

Moritz shrugged as he considered Alric's words, not disagreeing but not agreeing either. Some of what he said had merit, but he also wasn't sure it was so easy as he made it out to be. Gods were after all divine beings, far away from a normal person like a young Kelvic.

At the mentioning of wiping out a race however Moritz frowned, unsure what the man was talking with. Of course only being a few years old Moritz had never lived through a winter, and by the time he was born and old enough to read most of the Vantha were gone or in hiding, and so he had missed the heady early times soon after Morwen vanished when the Vantha were actively being hunted.

"Wait... Who is hunting down what race of people? And why? Ive no idea what your talking about. When did this happen?"

Moritz tried to work out what he meant, but had nothing in his memory, and wondered if perhaps the man was speaking on something decades ago. Being a Kelvic he aged different than a human, and also didn't have the best grasp on how old a person was by looking. How old was Alric? Forty? Fifty? Twenty?

When the topic came to stealing Moritz listened intently, always open to learning new things and considering the skill in a new light if it meant it could help him in his quest... Though he was unsure so much in that case if it was truly stealing, or more about being sneaky and getting by without being noticed... Or perhaps, he reasoned, a bit of both?

Distractions and things seemed to be speaking more of subterfuge, a term Moritz knew but only vaguely and as a word among many. He knew what it meant, but was uncertain he had practiced it before. He was unsure he had even truly attempted being sneaky, unsure if it was even truly in his nature. But, if it was a better method than directly fighting or getting into conflict, then perhaps it was a good idea...

Moritz was unsure if Alric's examples were things the man had tried in the past, or just ideas off the top of his head, but they seemed both diverse and very detailed which made him thing they were perhaps actual examples of things Alric had done or at least seen done.

For a moment though he got distracted at a particular detail. He didn't wear a pouch on his waist for his coins, so how would someone take it from there? But then, he reasoned, it was an example not something he planned to do with Moritz himself...

"That makes sense. Distractions and things can also be used in fighting... Feints and the like for instance can help land a blow, and other such misdirection. It makes sense it'd also apply to that, stealing and such. That is a good idea though, causing a distraction to pull someones attention away so you can do something somewhere else when they aren't paying attention."

Moritz pondered on idea of stealing, stealth, and subterfuge for awhile before the topics moved on and he found the conversation shifting. Trying to keep up Moritz focused both on the goods they were trying to find, along with words on magic and such.

"Ah, I don't think its a world magic then. Spiritism, the magic my mother taught me, is a world magic. It works through other things, using food and blood and such to make soulmist, for instance. While I perform the change, exert the will to make the change, it is a change outside of myself. Whereas my eyes work within and by me. I don't use anything else to perform it. But then maybe its just less common to have it happen with that, or perhaps I've just not done it long enough. I mean, I don't sit there for bells on end using it, its generally in short bursts or as needed. And like I said, its more of an on or off thing, staring harder doesn't make it work better, only training does and time as I learn to understand what I'm seeing. Like training a muscle."

At the word Flux Moritz vaguely recalled having heard the word before, possibly back home in Lhavit, though at the time he had not known it was a type of magic. Or he did not think he had... But he definitely knew nothing about it.

"Wait, what exactly is Flux? And why is it so dangerous? I know a bit about magic, though the only ones I perform are with my eyes and Spiritism. And I've heard of a few more, like morphing and auristics from some of my teachers, but I know little about them and nothing on how to use them. Have you ever tried teaching any to anyone? They say if you can't properly explain it to someone else, then you don't really know it that well. I could show you some Spiritism if you would like, if your interested. Though I'm not too great at it. But I think I know enough to start someone."

As the topic changed to weapons and some type of magic involving weapons Moritz nodded along, listening closely, wondering on what he said while interested in the idea of some kind of magic involving weapons. A type of weapon, rather than a material, and a magic involving it or making one into one? Something involving blood... Or the right blood? And which allowed you to bond to a weapon and summon them to your person.

"Summoning a weapon, that'd be really nice for me, being a Kelvic for instance its hard to carry around lots of weapons if I'm planning to shift. It'd make it easier to just pull out a weapon I summoned to myself when it was needed, than worry about if I should take one with me or not and if I will be shifting or not... That sounds like it would be useful... Though is it a magic in making the weapons like that, or using or bonding with them? Or both? Or something else?"

Thinking on the mans words Moritz realized something else about his interests and magic.

"I suppose to some degree I am interested in things, but I tend to focus on things I find useful or could use, rather than things I don't plan to use or learn. Like I could spend time learning all types of rocks and things, but if I had no use for it, nothing planned to do with that, I don't know I would spend the time to do so... Which I haven't."

As he spoke to the stall holder Moritz tried to get some information, but the man simply shook his head. "No, nothing in the back, we have what we have here. We don't really deal in special weapons or more uncommon ones. Maybe try someone else for that, I'm sure someone sells just about anything here if you know where to look."

Turning back to Alric Moritz shook his head, a bit disappointed.

"Well, we could look somewhere else... Did you have anything else you were thinking on getting?"

WC: 1,206
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Chance Meetings [Moritz]

Postby Alric Lysane on February 28th, 2022, 7:43 pm

Alric was genuinely confused when Moritz seemed shocked and surprised at his mention of Vantha being hunted down everywhere, or at least he assumed they were given the proclamations that had been given on behalf of the other divine seasons. Even Sunberth had had them, though he was not sure as to whether the messengers had survived beyond the initial purges or had moved on elsewhere. He assumed not given that the hatred for Vantha, and the gold pay out for one’s death, still spewed strongly from the lips of others – mercenaries in particular. He raised his eyebrow at Moritz briefly before telling him.

“The Vantha, they’ve been hunted for some time. I can’t really remember how long, but everyone in Sunberth knows the proclamation…dead Vantha get you gold from the other divine season’s priests. Punishment for not doing her job, or so they say. I don’t really get involved, prefer to stay away from fights if possible, but sources of good gold whisper to everyone in Sunberth…many were killed for the price…it was, and is still, a sad time” he sighed, leaving it at that.

He had seen the ruined buildings and tent city torn apart, had seen the tortures and worse. He was far from innocent, though he had only done what he had done earlier in the season to survive, still it harried him and likely would for some time. He hadn’t really protected any Vantha, nor had he hunted them, but even he knew there were some laws that were not to be broken – thief or not. Being a Vantha and being in any city, that was as good as a death sentence it seemed, and so he was somewhat shocked Moritz didn’t know. Still, he left the Kelvic to ponder upon things I his own time, he didn’t like to imprint his own opinions onto others unless they asked for them, freedom in the truest sense meant finding one’s own way, as far as he could figure.

“In my experience distraction is half the trick. People expect that bad things happen to them, they are suspicious of strangers and so on. Guards, well they are paid to be suspicious and violent. I mean, you can do things without distraction of course – there are better thieves in Sunberth than I certainly – but eventually if you lack finesse you tend to end up on the end of someone else’s blade, so they say. Stealing itself is an art, the distraction just helps,” he mused aloud, watching the man carefully, “in some ways people want to be tricked, their minds fill in the gaps of things. Approach them as a beggar and they want to feel superior to you, so you take advantage. People can be quite strange, but once you know how they work…well things get easier” he suggested softly.

Listening to the lad’s talk about his magic he couldn’t see much of a crossover in the way they worked, which was a curiosity in and of itself. Alric felt the effort and strain of using magic, it was a constant fight for control even when the magic wanted to cooperate. What Moritz described was nothing like what he experienced every time he tried. It was almost unfair, to hear how someone else seemed to have no issues using their abilities whilst he struggled, and many times paid the price – thankfully small so far – for such uses. He said nothing tot hat effect, but he wondered whether magic was so varied, that there were things that were so different they could hardly be called cousins.

A thought for another time, perhaps he mused to himself, hoping that Taz would arrive soon for some time together, she always had a way of gleaning wisdom that he didn’t seem to be able to grasp.

“No, it’s not like a muscle from what I know. It’s something almost built in in some ways. You have a limit, everyone does. What that limit is…well it depends upon many things. As to what the Flux is…it is dangerous. It is a way of enhancing your strength and speed beyond the normal…but it comes with a price. I am no master of knowledge, but I suspect that it is something few should know of, if you get my meaning? Fewer people running around using it, the better, no?” he looked Moritz in the eyes, holding the gaze for a few moment, before letting it slip away.

As their search came up empty, he wasn’t surprised, he had tried to find a Voril blade so many times it would be a surprise should one turn up one day. He merely shrugged his shoulder and grinned, scratching his chin thoughtfully.

“Tell you what, I’m not sure that I want to learn Spiritism but you can at least show me it so that I recognise it. Why don’t you make what purchases you find appealing and we can find somewhere quiet for you to concentrate and show me what it is that you do?” he suggested gently.

Words: 841

Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Chance Meetings [Moritz]

Postby Moritz Craven on February 28th, 2022, 10:32 pm

Vantha were being hunted... By the other seasonal divine... Because of a seasonal divine not doing their job... Or being missing, such as Morwen was. At the explanation on Vantha and them being hunted, along with the reason why, Moritz was visibly surprised. Particularly since he knew why Morwen was gone, and that it had nothing to do with her being lazy or vanishing for no reason but was because she had been captured... And in response the other seasonal deities had set a bounty on the Vantha, which were apparently related to her.

"They are fools then, if they think killing Vantha is bringing anyone back... They are just beating a lame horse to try to force it to get back on its feet. What good would that do? Only make things worse. Killing to no benefit. Since its been going on for years, I assume it started before I was born, I'll be three years old the first of this coming spring. So I either missed it, or it had quieted down by the time I was old enough to understand if its still going on."

Moritz was unsure if Alric did not want to talk about the topic, or perhaps simply did not have much to say, but he noted the information he had given and put in his own two mizas before letting the topic pass if Alric did not further it or build upon his note about it.

The entire idea of the situation was troubling to the Kelvic, and perhaps even showed on his normally hard to read face. Though he was comforted in some small way to know that most of it had happened before he had been born, and well before he had been able to do anything... Though only in a small way. If anything he was more angry at the other divine for not doing something, and at punishing a group for something neither they or Morwen could control or effect anymore since she had been captured...

At the topic returning to fighting and subterfuge and thievery Moritz calmed a bit, the heat under his collar receding as he passed on to topics more within his normal conversations realm. Fighting, tactics, strategies, the like, were things he often brought up or thought on or talked about or trained, and so it was a more normal thing in his mind.

"Hmm... That is a good idea, I will have to try that sometime... I never really thought about it before, but in a way combat is about deception. Misleading a foe so that they do not react in the correct way, so that you can land a blow or avoid theirs in turn... Its an odd thought... In a way, a feint is as much deception and subterfuge as starting a fire or... Whatever the other things you mentioned are. Though... I suppose it also depends on the place. For instance Syka where I am coming from is small, without many people. They would notice a beggar or anyone else out of place. But in a big city like Lhavit or Sunberth you could be lost among many people... And poor or beggars would be more common... So they would not be too out of place. An odd idea, that a distraction in one place, might actually cause more attraction and attention and another. What do you think? And also in some ways there is a lot of similarity between fighting and thievery. The way you think about it, do it, and such. So perhaps being good at one would help a person in the other. And with both of them if you are sneaky enough and approach it unseen, you can bypass much of the trouble and finish things much more simply and quietly. Perhaps I should work on my sneaking skills as well... Maybe Indigo would know about it..."

For a moment Moritz was lost in thought, considering the applications of sneaking and such, and if other skills he was trying to learn had cross applications. Would stealth help in exploring the wilds? Would a knowledge of gutting fish help in combat? What other things might cross over and be useful in another way?

"Certainly though, people do seem quite strange to me, I think that's one of my weaker points. But when I cross fists with someone... In some ways, things are simpler then, and easier to understand. All I have to do is figure out what their arms or bodies might do, not work out the endless words that might come from their lips or the endless replies I might need to make... Perhaps that's one of the reasons I like to spar and such... Because it simplifies things..."

As things switched from combat and subterfuge to magic Moritz inspected some blades on a table, a set by the looks as they were laid out in a mirrored pattern across a wooden board. But they were not overly designed or fancy really, just matching in color. Perhaps made of the same wood at the same time by the same persona and so a set in that regard, but not a set such as a fancy artisan might make with jewels or expensive materials. Or at least he did not think so by casual examination.

"Yes, but a limit for everyone doesn't mean all things affect you the same way, right? If you lift up your arm from waist to head head and hold it for a bell, how tired does that make you? However if you say... Sprinted at full speed for a bell, how tired would you be then? Regardless of the activity both fall under the same physical limits, in general, but one is more straining than the other. If its not like a muscle, then perhaps it is like that? Some things are simply more straining on that limit or reach it more quickly? So maybe some magic is simply more straining than others. If they do different things, it would only stand to reason some are more strenuous than others, right?"

Pausing for a bit to look at the weapons Moritz thought on this, before turning back to Alric.

"When I started using my eyes, it took me quite some time to turn it on or off. Now, I can do it more or less at will. But I spent a lot of time practicing and improving at it. On the other hand I've only used Spiritism a few times, and so each time I try to use it I am slow to do so. But then I am also new to it. So perhaps that is also a factor? Or at least, that is my experience. That flux though... It does seem kind of dangerous. I mean... If you punch someone, it can hurt your hand, right? So what if you became stronger without being more sturdy, you could end up hurting your hand even worse! That seems kind of dangerous to me... Perhaps less so if you are using a weapon instead of your body... Though then even weapons take strain, so you could end up damaging or breaking a weapon... Flux seems a bit dicey."

At Alric taking his offer Moritz was a bit surprised, but nodded after a few moments. He considered what he would need, but realized it was not overly much.

"Sure, if you want, just let me just ask this guy about these blades first. As for Spiritism, I think a restaurant or such place would work, I know there are a few around. I just need a few items of food of different sources, a blade to get some of my blood, and a place to mix it all well. That's what I need to make soulmist. Other than that would require a ghost, so that's probably the easiest. Just bear in mind what I said earlier. I am still new to it, so it may take me a bit to do it properly and make the soulmist."

Turning to the nearest stall owner Moritz waved his hand for his attention, stepping up close and pointing at the items in question.

"Excuse me, what are these exactly? Are they a set? And how much are they? And why do these seem... Different..."

At that the man smiled, putting his hands together as he inspected his wares for a moment. "Ah, those, yes. Well part of a group, but not technically a set. Made of the same wood from the same tree, a fine wood of hardy design. The color does match well yes? I have more if you are interested. They were crafted together, the daggers used for close up and the throwing daggers for distance. See how these are a bit heavier and more solid, and these are a bit lighter and more streamlined? Both are well balanced, but for different uses. I suppose you could use them for the other purpose in a pinch, but they are much better suited to their designed roles. The throwing daggers are a gold miza each, and the daggers are two. Also I would recommend a scabbard for each, which is another two gold mizas per weapon. "

Thinking it over and doing some quick math... one plus two for the throwing was a total of three per weapon... Two plus for the non throwing made four per weapon... A set of one each would be seven... Two sets with a pair of each would be... Seven plus seven.... Fourteen...

"Ah, do you have any practice ones? For training?"

The merchant, quick on the uptake, dove under the table and dug around in a chest for a bit, before puling out some small stylized wooden weapons that were shaped to look like a dagger. "The wood practice ones are cheaper, I could do those for... Say... Four of the throwing for a gold miza, or two of the wooden daggers for a gold miza."

Moritz considered this further, trying to see if he could get the man to budge on the price.

"Ah what if I order several, is there any kind of discount for purchase size? And seeing as the training ones are so much cheaper, could you throw in one free with a pair of the others?"

Going through various facial expressions the stall owner seemed to be deciding on something, though this was lost on Moritz - who had trouble reading faces or expressions- and so simply waited for the man to finish before saying anything else. Eventually the man did speak, giving a reply to the questions. "Bulk pricing? Hmm... I suppose if you bought the entire lot I could give a bulk discount, or throw in some free, say if you purchased... Fifty total of either the throwing ones or the daggers? Anything smaller than that I couldn't really afford to make a budge on the price."

Moritz would pause and see if Alric had anything to say on the matter or wanted to help with the negotiation. If not he would order two each of the throwing and standard daggers along with their scabbards for fourteen gold mizas, along with two of the training daggers for an extra miza, and four of the training throwing daggers for another miza, totaling the entire purchase at sixteen gold mizas.

WC: 1,894
Purchase :
Dagger (2gm) X 2 = 4gm
Dagger (wooden practice/4 X 2 gm) X 2 = 1 gm
Throwing Dagger (1 gm) X 2 = 2 gm
Throwing dagger (wooden practice/4 X 1 gm) X 4 = 1 gm
Dagger Scabbard (2 gm) X 4 = 8 gm
Total = 16 gm
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Chance Meetings [Moritz]

Postby Alric Lysane on March 7th, 2022, 3:47 pm

“When people are at the mercy of something beyond their control, they do many terrible things. Logic isn’t found n great supply in mobs, they tend to only care that someone else suffers more than they do. Though, it is possible that the killings were designed to try to force the Goddess back. Perhaps they do not know what you do, and so by telling them you might change that. Who knows, stranger things have happened” he mused aloud, watching Moritz carefully.

He was a strange one, not precisely absent of feeling but seemingly purposefully trying to not use it. Or succumb to it, perhaps. Either way he saw the world through a very specific lens, Alric had learned, and so it was difficult to change that unless he wanted to do it himself. Alric could sympathise, his own situations were not exactly completely within his control and so he narrowed his focus to that which he could control. He had a feeling that that might come back to bite him in the rear one day, but he knew no other way of dealing with the enormity of things. Perhaps, he reasoned, Moritz had started out doing the same, but then it had become habitual and natural to him. Even so, the Kelvic seemed somewhat distraught, enough that he patted his shoulder soothingly.

“Sometimes all that can be done is to change things for the better after disaster. The world is not a good place, it is what is made of it. What is need not always be” he sighed, letting the subject drop before it weighed them down overly much.

He listened in and amused manner as the talk drifted back to thievery and fighting, his fingers running across the various blades before him, sensing out their images and Djed traces, eyes closed as the words tumbled around him so that he got at least a few, if brief, flashes of other worlds – and other times. The gift of Lykata had merely enhanced his innate sense that most things were connected, in one way or another. A vast spider’s web, perhaps. He had never considered how it might stretch back in time as well as through the lands of Mizahar, though it seemed self-evident now, since he had explored his divine gift. Moritz was tugging at the edges of something large, and revelatory in a way. He smiled to himself as the lad worked it out, teasing and dancing around it without diving in fully.

“In my experience everything is interlinked and related, it’s what makes the word so interesting. How the way someone vacating a table at the right moment means that two people try tog rab it at the same time, before arguing and possibly then falling for each other. Or how the metal for these weapons came from one city, to be forged in another and then sold in another, before the wielder falls in the original city perhaps, returning it when it came. Fragments of Djed, of life and time, all woven together to form a whole. Nothing, I think, is truly fully removed from anything else”

“You say fighting and thievery are similar? I say people, in the core of their beings, are similar. It all follows on from there. What people think of as differences are largely upon the surface. The same motivations, at the base level, drive us all” he shrugged, putting the weapon back in place and letting the images from it fade.

The rest of their conversation was interspersed with haggling and negotiating upon prices. Alric did step in and ask some questions of the shopkeeper, simple ones about the make and quality of the blades, whether the sheaths were properly stitched and waxed, and so on. It didn’t change the price as the man had insisted that such things were impossible for smaller orders, though Alric did suggest that Moritz’ settlement may have need of larger orders for the discerning shopkeeper to tale advantage of. It was a long and tedious affair, but in the end, Moritz ended up with his weapons and they were stepping out once more into the throng of the Outpost. More time had passed than Alric had thought, as far as he could tell by the strange rhythm of the place at any rate.

“Lead on my Kelvic friend” was all he said, wondering what was about to happen regarding this Spiritism that had been mentioned.

Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Chance Meetings [Moritz]

Postby Moritz Craven on March 12th, 2022, 1:50 pm

Moritz shrugged once more in response to Alric's words, mentally tired from the discussion of the topic and revelations on it. Mass killings... Idiotic things to no end, was what he felt they were, particularly in this case.

"I've told enough people at this point, including gods, if they don't know there isn't anything I could have done to spread the word more. So either they don't care when they found out, or are so isolated they haven't heard. Petch, half of Lhavit and Syka probably knows! No, I have no guilt on that front. Honestly, the entire affair is just... Uh... Lets talk about something else."

The Kelvic was unsure what he felt towards the divine. They were either uncaring or out of the loop, or for some reason unable to act or incapable. Disappointed perhaps? That seemed as close of a a feeling to the one he was feeling as any he could think of.

He vaguely understood what Alric was saying about chance and interweaving things, but he felt that was more how a person saw things, not perhaps the truth. Perhaps, he felt, if he had a broader view those chance encounters would be anything but or were just a blip with a slim but possible chance. The idea reminded him of his old math instructor in Lhavit, and left him feeling like something involving math might be involved.

By the time their discussions and haggling had finished quite a bit of time had passed in the Outpost since he had arrived, and he was certain he should not hang around too much longer... But, a meal and a demonstration would not take too long.

At Alric's instigation Moritz headed back the way they had come, navigating the reverse of their earlier route to head back out of the market area. While Moritz was not overly skilled at navigating, he did seem to have a knack for retracing his steps back the way he had come. A turn here, and then at that shop... And then a turn this way here... At this booth... In what seemed at once long and short of time Moritz and Alric found themselves back outside the market. From there it was simple to retrace his steps to the Dovecote area, where Moritz paused and considered again.

Remembering a restaurant with an open roof not too far, the Courtyard Cantina, Moritz turned and headed there. This was a bit trickier not as he could not recall how to get there, but as it was a bit tricky to see. Within a chime though he did find the somewhat secreted passage or hall and moved inside with Alric he assumed still trailing behind.

Heading inside and finding a table Moritz sat, remembering from the prior time the items on offer and what he would order. This was a bit simpler for him seeing as his own dietary standards were somewhat limited seeing as he did not partake of animals or their good.

He would however give Alric some time to look over the offerings and pick something to eat if he wanted, before placing his own order.

"I'll take the platter, but could I get one without any meat or animal products? Also could I get an extra empty bowl, something I can mush things in, and a very clean knife. Thank you."

Waiting for the food Moritz looked around the eating area, noticing a few other people, before returning his gaze to Alric.

"I've been here before, they are quite accommodating. Actually I think the last time I was here I actually had a ghost with me who I made some soulmist for, so they are probably more used to that sort of thing. I mean with how big the Outpost is, surely there are a fair number of Spiritists about."

WC: 640
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

PreviousNext