Apprenticeship Where? (Shiress x Evalynn)

A chance encounter may lead to an opportunity

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Evalynn Frostfawn on June 16th, 2022, 2:50 am

Summer 19th, 522AV

The morning was warm and sunny as always, still proving to Eva to be an extremely uncomfortable start as she knew the humidity was going to take hold later in the day. She had tied her hair up off her neck in a high messy bun, careful to tuck away any stray hairs that would prove to be troublesome later. She wore the same shorts as she did yesterday and attempted to tie her shirt up again, however, with it being torn it wasn't as put together as it had been. Eva had given a soft noise of disappointment last night when she actually did see just what her training had done to her shirt. Either way, she made it work and now she was on a mission to find another apprenticeship or even a job or two if she had time.

Right now, her efforts were coming up fruitless as she kept asking the wrong individuals for jobs or even stepping on toes when it came to her mannerisms and speech. She felt sort of defeated and stood off to the side of The Commons scanning the area. Who looked like a potential employer? Who would be a great teacher? Eva thought about these two questions as she looked through the few people milling around and doing work. She felt a bit out of place being the only one not really contributing anything at the time being. She thought about going up to someone and asking if they needed any help, attempting to come off as friendly and helpful. Would the individual find this as a kind gesture or invading personal business.

After thinking about it for a bit, she decided to do it. The worst that could happen was that she would be yelled at or told to go away, so why was she holding herself back? She walked up to a woman who looked to be with a child and gave a kind smile as she neared.

"Excuse me ma'am, my name is Evalynn and I was wondering if you had anything you'd like help with today?" She took a lesson in her interaction with the potter and introduced herself as she spoke, keeping a good 3 foot distance and offering up a wave.

WC: 377
Evalynn Frostfawn
Don't Stand Out

Words: 160390
Joined roleplay: February 23rd, 2013, 12:16 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Shiress on June 19th, 2022, 12:56 am

The best thing about being on the beach in the early morning was its solitude. The second best thing was the lack of heat. Since arriving in Syka, Shiress had come to learn that the best times of the day to escape the heat was either before the sun rose or after it set.

With Spring being the chaotic, horrible, cursed season that it was, for Shiress anyway, night walks along the beach were nonexistent. Thankfully, Syka had beautiful sunrises, and Shiress had come to love them, often slipping out of her room, leaving a slumbering toddler to see the beauty of Syna's rays as they broke over the Suvan sea, creating a cascade of oranges, reds, and yellows. This morning was no different, except that Ian had joined her.

Shiress stood in the sand, enjoying the feel of the water lapping up over her feet and the warm sand between her toes. Behind her, Ian sat in the sand, a stick in one hand, a wooden horse in the other. The boy had come to love drawing in the damp sand, and Shiress was more than willing to indulge her son's activity while the skies over the Suvan etched out their own images.

A female voice called out, and Shiress turned to see a very pretty, dark-skinned female stepping carefully through the sand in her direction. Shiress thought she might have seen the other woman around but didn't think she had ever actually met her. She smiled at her introduction and stepped forward, giving the stranger her full attention.

"Hi, Evalynn. It's nice to meet you. I'm Shiress," she lifted a hand in Ian's direction, "and that's my son, Ian."

Shiress thought a moment, then frowned, "I can't think of anything off hand. I work with the orphans as their caretaker and physician," she paused, then smiled, "though I would appreciate your company if you have the time. It's always nice to meet other Sykans. Would you care to join me for breakfast at the Protea inn?"

Word count - 372
Moonlight drowns out all but the brightest stars

Character sheet
Shiress
Every path has a few puddles

Words: 918381
Joined roleplay: January 25th, 2013, 7:01 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (2) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Evalynn Frostfawn on June 20th, 2022, 10:00 pm

Eva was thankful the woman, now known as Shiress, was friendly and accepting. She even introduced the child as her son, Ian, and Eva gave a simple wave to the boy if he would pay her mind. Eva then directed her attention towards Shir and listened to what she was saying. She explained she had no work for her to do right off the bat and that she mainly worked with orphans and as a nurse. Eva found this admirable, being able to have the patience to work with children with even more complicated emotional states. Let alone, also being the one to diagnose sicknesses and such. Then she offered Eva breakfast and she couldn't help but agree.

"I would be delighted, especially since I've never been to the Inn before, just glanced at it in passing." Eva gave a polite smile and allowed Shir to lead the way. When she did, Eva would follow and attempt to strike up some conversation. "I didn't know there was an orphanage in Syka. Where would that be located?"

Eva thought she had explored some of the more common areas of the community, especially recently, but the thought of their being an orphanage made her wonder just how much there was she didn't discover. But what was she thinking, she had yet to actually go into the Inn of the community. A place she always passed on the Cobbled pathway but never thought to go in or even see what it was all about. But today was the day as they were walking down the pathway and towards the inn.

WC: 267
Evalynn Frostfawn
Don't Stand Out

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Shiress on July 23rd, 2022, 7:22 pm

This time last season, the thought of heading to the Protea's kitchen for a meal would have set Shiress on edge, her belly roiling with nausea and her mind full of the excuses she would use as to why she wasn't eating. Well over a fortnight into Summer, the walk back up to the Protea filled the doctor with apprehension.

It wasn't a long walk from the beach back to the inn, but after a season of being unable to eat properly, any amount of walking took a toll on Shiress's weakened body. She was determined, though. She decided to make a certain monk eat his words, regain the lost muscle and strength the curse had robbed her, and come back looking and feeling better than she ever has. Shiress was determined to see Shade look at her with appreciation, not disgust. On that day, the doctor would have the absolute joy of lifting her chin and turning her back on the arrogant monk, smiling proudly as she strolled away from him.

Right now, though, that tiny hill leading up to the inn felt like enough of a challenge. Grabbing Ian's hand, Shiress gave Evalynn a smile, turned, and, with molars grinding, started walking. When Shiress led the way up the incline, sweat beaded her forehead and upper lip, her legs shook, and her chest heaved. She was fumbling for an excuse to take a break when Ian, bless her son's timing, exclaimed he had left one of his carved animals in the sand. Letting go of his hand, she watched as the boy stumbled his way back down to the beach and then glanced at her companion.

"Sorry," she apologized, looking abashed, her words coming out on little pants of breath, "still recovering from last season," Shiress didn't think she needed to elaborate as anyone present in Syka last season would know what she was referring to. Shiress thought the woman looked vaguely familiar.

Maybe she had seen her at a Tenday meeting? Shiress took a moment to look at the woman. Evalynn was pretty, beautiful even. Long black hair curling around the edges of her form, dark amber eyes, and bronzed skin, even the scars that lined Evalynn's right cheek seemed to enhance her beauty, not diminish it. She was a good bit taller than Shiress, and Shiress couldn't help but admire, with a tad of envy, the healthy weight the other woman carried on her slender frame. Much more appealing than her own skin and bone appearance.

Shade's words on the very unattractive state of Shiress's body made a valiant attempt to swamp her mind but thankfully, Ian, staying true to his impeccable timing, chose that moment to return, brandishing his forgotten horse with a flourish before grabbing hold of his mother's hand. By then, Shiress had caught her breath, and they made it to the inn without needing another emergency respite.

The kitchen was filled with the sounds of clattering dishes and clinking glasses, but the dining area was less full than Shiress had thought it would be with it being midmorning, but perhaps most of the breakfast crowd had already come and gone. Once they had their plates of sausage gravy, biscuits, and a cup of orange juice each, they made their way to an empty table and sat. Shiress smiled at a very proud Ian as he safely placed his plate and cup on the table and climbed into a chair before glancing across the table at Evalynn.

"How long have you been in Syka," Shiress asked, eyes on her plate as she tore apart her biscuit before mixing the small pieces with the gravy, "I arrived the first of Spring, but even being here well over a season, I've not made many acquaintances, except the orphans and occasional patient," Shiress reached for her juice, taking a sip before explaining, "I'm a doctor, and I'm currently the caretaker and physician to the kids that came to Syka the first of Spring. Other than that, I've not made many acquaintances," she chuckled. However, with little humor, "Have you? Made many friends since you've been here, I mean."

Shiress ate as Evalynn spoke, her attention divided between the conversation and her son. Ian's table manners had significantly improved, but the four-year-old still needed help now and then.
Moonlight drowns out all but the brightest stars

Character sheet
Shiress
Every path has a few puddles

Words: 918381
Joined roleplay: January 25th, 2013, 7:01 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (2) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Evalynn Frostfawn on August 5th, 2022, 12:52 pm

Eva noticed the woman was struggling just to make the walk happen. Even with her back turned, Eva could recognize a struggle with stamina and endurance when she saw one. She wanted to ask the woman if the trekk was too much, or even if she would like some help, but considering how she had kept pushing forward without turning back gave Eva the understanding that she was doing this for herself. They seemed to only be a bit of the ways up the small incline from the beach when her son announced that he left his toy behind. Eva smiled and nodded, stepping to the side so he could run back before she turned to listen to Shiress.

"Don't worry, you take all the time you need. If I had suffered as much as it looks like you have, I wouldn't even know how I'd be able to bounce back. Oh, it looks like he's returning."

Eva smiled as Ian ran back, catching hold of his mother's hand and smiling at his successful mission on retrieving his toy. Her eyes looked at Shir and assessed that she seemed to have regained her composure. Her breathing wasn't as quick, and she didn't seem as slunchd over like she was before. With this, Eva nodded and once again followed the pair up the rest of the incline and towards the inn. Unbeknownst to her, when they entered the inn it wasn't as busy as it should have been. To Eva, the fact that there was a small group of people suggested to her that it was quite relaxed and seemed to keep the kitchen staff busy.

She would then follow the mother and son over to the breakfast table and lay her eyes on quite the glorious sight. Recently, she had stuck to her general staple of bread with jam and whatever leftovers she had from meals she attempted to cook. And the only other time she had seen food outside of these staples was in the Outpost, which was a very lovely date with Moritz. So having this buffet table out, filled with different foods, Eva felt a little overwhelmed. She wanted to take all of it and pile it onto her plate somehow, but seeing as Shir and Ian were getting simple plates, Eva followed suit, not wanting to stand out. The trio then made their way over to a table, where the conversation began.

"Oh, I arrived a week later, on the 7th of Spring. It was quite a different journey making my way here." Eva also seemed to tear apart her biscuits, dropping them into her gravy and stirring as she talked. "Oh, I see. Besides the founders, I believe the only other person I met and connected with was a unique and quite handsome man." A happy blush dusted her cheeks as she was stirring her food around before she bit her tongue and attempted to suppress it. Any thoughts of Moritz sent her emotions into a whirlwind, and she wasn't able to fake those yet. She then took a bite of her food, focusing on the savory flavors to calm her mind before she spoke again. "But other than that, I haven't made any friends. Mostly bee focused on myself and growing." Eva watched Ian with soft eyes, feeling a strange urge welling up in her.

WC: 561
Evalynn Frostfawn
Don't Stand Out

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Evalynn Frostfawn on September 1st, 2022, 2:29 am

PLACEHOLDER
Evalynn Frostfawn
Don't Stand Out

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes