Completed [Challenge] The Length Of A Day I

As it turns out, a whole year can pass in the span of a day.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

[Challenge] The Length Of A Day I

Postby Tazrae on October 16th, 2022, 3:22 pm

Timestamp: 45th of Fall, 522 A.V.

The Kois Quas Dominion : Gold Lake (first season)

She woke in decadence. There was no other way to put it. Tazrae lay beneath silk sheets that cooled her in an already warm world. There was no immediate memory of when or how she arrived, not at first. What she noticed initially was the dryness of the air as it blew in the open stone windows and tossed gossamer-thin curtains about. The curtains themselves had dandelion-like flowers and free-floating seeds embroidered on them, so when the wind tossed them, it gave the impression of seeds scattering free of a field of flowers.

The scents in the cooling breeze were all wrong, hot and spicy and not tinged with the fragrance of green growing things and the sea. There was the smell and weight of the earth, a heaviness, and scent of some sort of pine and other smells that Tazrae was unfamiliar with.

She rose slowly, noting the gown laid across the foot of the far untouched side of the bed. The bed itself was made of swirling brass, beautiful, and draped with organza that acted as some sort of insect repellant. Tazrae had to push back that fabric to rejoin whatever world she was apparently living in. She took a moment to dress, finding the gown strangely light, and exotic, and colored the deep hues of a desert sunset. With that task completed, she walked out the open double doors that lead to a balcony that overlooked a lake that reflected the golden mountains all around it.

Desert.

She was in the desert. The only green around was low-growing brush that dotted the lake line, a few palms, and an elegant garden that seemed to be carefully cultivated below her. Unlike her cool refreshing jungle, the heat outside was insufferable. It had a baked quality to it that was like nothing Tazrae had ever experienced, not even in The Outpost. She shifted, trying to see further out, and felt a tug at her throat. She reached up, fingers finding the collar-like item of jewelry around her neck. There were no mirrors in her room, so she looked at it with her fingers, trailing them across its length. It had a particular pattern to it, Tazrae remembered suddenly, like interlocking medallions, that all bore the symbol of the Kois Tribe hammered in the gold ornamentation. It was a beautiful thing, more like a very tight-fitting torc with medallions than something one would fit around say a dog’s neck.

She remembered it because it had been in her hand just yesterday morning. The chest had arrived on The Veronica the same day the smith and several other new folks to Syka had joined the Settlement – mainly tourists. She’d been busy settling in the visitors and giving them tours. In fact, that busy had curried over for several days afterward and she hadn’t gotten back to looking at the large chest that was big enough for an entire person to crawl into. The weird part of it was that it hadn't been heavy. She’d left it, instead, to set on The Protea’s deck, out of the weather to be addressed at a later date when she had more time.

It hadn’t been addressed to her. It had been addressed to Estra Aradicus from Matari Arcadius, then forwarded to her being Estra’s only surviving kin. Her father, who hadn’t been her actual father, but her uncle, was dead. And his wife, her aunt, who had only pretended to be Tazrae’s mother was also gone. Estra, her aunt had been sent the chest from her twin sister, who was actually Tazrae’s mother. It was a confusing mixture of absolute Ixamshit and one Tazrae had been avoiding dealing with, half afraid of what the contents of the chest might be. And it wasn’t until the 45th, that Tazrae had worked up the courage.

It was a day off because the Inn was unexpectedly empty, so she’d hung a sign on the front doors and let it be known throughout the community the day before that she wouldn’t be around today and instead be on some personal mission. She hadn’t fooled anyone though. Most people knew she was finally going to open the chest and left her alone to do so.
Last edited by Tazrae on October 25th, 2022, 3:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
"A mark of an open mind is being more committed to your curiosity than your conviction.
The goal of learning is not to shield old views against new facts, but to revise old views with new facts.
Ideas are possibilities to explore, not certainties to defend."

Garden Beach Syka The Protea Inn

"Listen to the wind, it talks. Listen to the silence, it speaks. Listen to your heart, it knows."
Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Words: 1916653
Joined roleplay: May 3rd, 2020, 2:02 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syka Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Tazrae on October 16th, 2022, 3:24 pm

And even then, she’d stalled a bit. Tazrae had stripped down, taken a bath, and dressed only casually in light Isuas shorts and a colorful blouse. She’d forgone her normal weapons, backpack, and even her jewelry, wanting a day she could decompress and not be worried about anything. The only item she had on her of any value was the Homefinder coin, which she’d taken to carrying in her pocket or tucked into her belt pouch when she wore one.

It was a small thing, easily missed, and had evidently been forgotten the last time she’d worn the shorts in the bottom of the pocket, where it was tucked into a corner exuding an ‘I’m not here’ vibe. So, after a full night's rest and waking up bright and early, after she bathed and broke her fast with fruit, Tazrae had Bree help her haul the chest to Garden Beach. Then, after much contemplation, she’d carefully used a hammer to break the small ornate lock off it, and swing opens the lid to view the contents.

Inside, she found the chest was ten times as ornate as its plain outward appearance might have suggested. It was painted with gilded gold arcane runes running all across the inside, its lid, and everywhere else. Metal embellishments adorned its lid and every corner. It practically sang with the power which made Tazrae’s head tilt in curiosity as she took a moment to examine it with her mage sight. Power, pure power, oozed out of the thing as if it were not a chest at all, but something far different… a conduit.

Inside she found a letter and a velvet bag that was heavy with the clink of metal. Taz had unrolled the letter, but it was written in a language she couldn’t read – most likely Shiber – and with a date that was almost five years old. She should have stopped there, and found someone to read the letter, but there was truly no one she trusted to translate the letter. Who knew what it said? Was it a confession of her mother’s terrible deeds? Was it an update on something going on back in Eytol? Taz didn’t want anyone else to know her family business and she didn’t know of anyone with a magic item she could borrow momentarily to do the translation.

Going back to studying the chest, the outside showed its plain unattractive, and inconspicuous worn nature, so Tazrae wasn’t surprised it had a five-year-old letter in it. Its very outwardly ragged appearance was probably one of the reasons it had made it as far as Syka, forwarded to her, the only heir of Esta. She picked up the velvet bag, untied its silken drawstring, and upended the contents of its depths into her palm. At first, she thought it was full of coins until she realized it was a necklace that was absolutely stunning in nature. It was a choker of interlocking coins that held the symbol of the Kois Tribe on it. The piece thrummed with almost as much power as the chest did and was blinding in Tazrae’s mage sight. Whatever it was… it was a gift from her mother to her aunt.

Taz studied it forever, turning it over and over in her hands until drawn by a need she couldn’t explain, she gathered up all her hair, bundled it in a messy bun on the crown of her head, and fastened the necklace of Kois symbols around her neck. It hung loose against her chest at first, but after a moment of laying against her skin, it suddenly constricted, as if it lost multiple links immediately, and tightened into a chocker around her neck. Taz grabbed at her throat, inhaling sharply, fear suddenly coursing through her that it would cut off her airway, choke her, or even worse.

But nothing happened.

It lay tight against her skin, snug but not constricting, as the Innkeeper ran her hands around her throat, tracing the new shape of the collar and trying to understand what had just happened. Then, with a jerk, she rose – not of her own violation – and watched in detached horror as her feet walked her over to the chest, stepped her into it, and knelt down closing the lid over her head. It snapped shut with a fatal thunk and was wrenched open immediately afterward.
Last edited by Tazrae on October 19th, 2022, 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A mark of an open mind is being more committed to your curiosity than your conviction.
The goal of learning is not to shield old views against new facts, but to revise old views with new facts.

"Listen to the wind, it talks. Listen to the silence, it speaks. Listen to your heart, it knows."
Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Tazrae on October 16th, 2022, 3:25 pm

An older man stood there, holding the lid, revealing a stone room that was warm, dry, and flooded with light causing Tazrae to blink at its brightness. He had a striking face, handsome even in his aged years. He had Tazrae’s copper skin and the same intense turquoise eyes. She’d once thought her uncle whom she grew up thinking was her father, Marketh, had her eyes, but she’d been wrong. This man did… the exact shade of blue. His hair was a molten silver, curled like her own, and she suspected it had been the same caramel color as hers when the man was younger. He reached out a hand to her, gripping her own, and easily tugged her out of the chest.

“That was too easy, girl, too easy by far. Which one are you? Kamrae or Tazrae? No… you’d not be Kami. I can smell the stink of magic all over you. You’d be Tazrae. Or do they call you Tazi like they shorten Kamrae’s name to Kami?” He asked, a slow guarded smile spreading across his face. He pulled her out of the chest and into the room itself, which was an open courtyard of some sort whose stones felt baked with heat underneath Tazrae’s bare toes. Once she was free of the chest, it glowed a moment, then vanished from where it sat behind her. She whirled, studied the spot it had been, and turned back around.

“Who are you and where have you brought me?” She asked carefully, thoughtfully, taking a moment to fully study the man. She wasn’t as tall as he was, and he was probably in his mid-sixties. He looked a lot like Marketh, though there were noted differences. Benshira, for sure, though the blue eyes were unusual in a race of people that tended to have gold eyes.

“A better question would be who I used to be. Or rather, more accurately, who this body used to belong to. You would know him as Florentin Arcadius. Your grandfather, to be exact. But sadly for you, he’s no longer taking up space in this meatsuit. I am. You’d know me by the name of Sran’tuka.” He said with a smile that twisted up to a cruel angle.

“And this place… this is Gold Lake… well not exactly Gold Lake, but an exact replica of it. People come and go here at my will. The real Gold Lake is too far for me to bother taking you. This is a lot closer, this dominion that is. And I can do here what I can do there far easier. I had actually hoped for both of you, both you and your sister. But if I had to pick, I’d want the mage rather than the healer, if I could only take one.” He said, stepping closer, examining her with a critical eye.

“My men kept failing, the ones I sent to retrieve you, so I had to do it myself. Family should always stay close to family. And I knew they weren’t going to take you by force. Arcadius’ aren’t easily taken. They must be tricked.” He said, smiling softly.
Last edited by Tazrae on October 19th, 2022, 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Tazrae on October 16th, 2022, 3:27 pm

“I’m not an Arcadius. I’m an Ardera.” Tazrae said firmly.

The older man laughed. “It’s an assumed name, granddaughter. You are an Arcadius through and through. Your mother took that last name for you when she put you in your aunts arms and sent her and Marketh to Riverfall. Ardera was the name of her lapdog… a favorite pet of hers.” He confessed, laughing even with his eyes. You are Tazrae Arcadius Kois. Daughter of Matari Arcadius Kois and Talsis Zuvas Lisuli. You are the oldest of twin girls, born ten full minutes before your fraternal sister, almost killing her. You are both Arcadius and Lisuli heir apparent. If the world wasn’t such a cruel place, whichever Benshira male married you would have the leadership of the Kois Tribe. Whichever Benshira male married your sister would have the control of the Lisuli Tribe. Both of your children, and you’d have many, would rule and the two most powerful tribes in the desert would be united.” He said casually, then smiled.

“But I happened. Your grandfather lost his battle with me. Your father declined to stop the downfall of the Kois despite your mother’s pleas and returned to his tribe. Your mother hid you and your sister from me, and everyone in your tribe with any power or importance has either fled or been killed. There’s no one left to protect you, and no one left to guide the Kois into the future. That just leaves you, Kami, and an infinite amount of work I’ve been spending years on to be continued. Now that I have you, I can do that.” He said, laughing lightly.

Taz stood there silently, half in shock, half drinking in the knowledge of her family that he was telling her about. She had no background, no way of knowing what he was saying was true or not, but it was something… like tiny pieces of a puzzle whose final image after the pieces were supposed to be assembled was unknown to her.
Last edited by Tazrae on October 19th, 2022, 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Tazrae on October 16th, 2022, 3:28 pm

“So, lets get a few things clear. First… this is my dominion. What I say goes here. What happens here, happens at my will. I know everything that happens in my crafted landscape, so you can’t make a move without me. You will not have access to your djed while you are here. And if you misbehave, you will loose access to your ability to control your own body. Is that clear?” He asked, studying her with an intense gaze that had an enormous amount of power behind it.

"You will obey the wishes of servants, and visitors, and do anything anyone asks of you or there will be consequences. If you abide by this, you will have freedom of movement around Gold Lake, inside the structure and on the grounds if you need to walk and get air. I control the day here. I control the night here. If you want to keep having days and nights, you will behave. I do not have the time or energy to deal with keeping prisoners in line. So I will make no doubt about the fact that you are a prisoner here, not a guest, and decidedly not family even though I am inhabiting a relative's body. I don’t care. I don’t consider you a granddaughter, and if you prove to be problematic, I will end you.” He said.

The speech sounded practiced, and the man himself making it sounded bored.

“I find confined prisoners do not thrive, and I need you to survive at least for a time. I do not wish to confine you. I wish you to remain healthy and as content as you can be experiencing this aspect of what should have been your life. In every way, this place is where you should have grown up and experienced privilege. If you are behaved and things are progressing as I wish them too, then you can have the freedom of the lands around here as well. You can use the library, and train as you’d like. I’d like you to stay fit, at least as fit as you are now. To that end you can handle weapons, enjoy physical contact, and do what you need to do to keep your mind and body busy. I will require things of you that you will not like. I don’t care about how much you like them or not. You will do them. If you do not wish to do them, you will be confined and they will still be done. A semblance of freedom is far more healthy than the lack of that.” He added, then whistled sharply.

A servant entered the room from a small arched doorway Tazrae hadn’t noticed before. Without giving Tazrae a chance to answer, Sran’tuka turned and walked away, leaving her with a female servant.

“This way to your quarters, Miss.” The woman said, beckoning.

Still in shock, Tazrae had turned and followed the servant to where she’d evidently be staying until she could find a way home.

Words: 2806

Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes