Completed [Garden Beach] Lightning Crashes

Tazrae unwinds from an emotional day and soothes her daughter.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

[Garden Beach] Lightning Crashes

Postby Tazrae on November 5th, 2022, 4:03 am

Timestamp: 47th of Fall, 522 A.V.

Taz grinned down at the little soul in her arms. Khari was staring wide-eyed at her and the bard was thoroughly charmed. She didn’t know that it was so possible to fall utterly and hopelessly under the spell of an infant that was so young and so vulnerable. But there was something about her daughter's wide golden eyes that demanded she do all in her power to make her little girl smile.

Baby smiles were the best.

Tazrae laughed as she swung her around, dancing with her in the quietly falling dusk. The infant had already enjoyed a nap and was seemingly wide awake and more than willing to experience all the world had to offer. The young woman saw so much of herself in the child, recognizing the early onslaught of restlessness for what it was, and knowing just exactly how to deal with it. Singing softly, mostly just nonsense, Taz gathered a large basin and set it on the warm sand. Leaning down, she tapped her well which caused her turquoise eyes to glitter in the failing light. Res reflecting the color of the sunset pooled from her hands, flowing easily and beautifully to swirl into the basin. It converted itself to water at Tazrae’s will, her fire Reimancy combining with it to heat up the water to the perfect temperature. She had both bath towels and hand towels thrown over her shoulder and a bar of gentle soap in her pocket.

Swinging the baby one more time, tucked into one arm, she rose up, did one more quick dance step while singing a nonsense song, then knelt to dip the infant in the water. Tazrae made a face at her while the girl giggled and reached for one of Tazrae’s stray curls. The innkeeper supported the baby, keeping her head up and out of the water, while she dug in her pocket with the other hand, pulling out the bar of soap and getting to work. Khari wasn’t a messy baby, but like any child her age, things happened, and those things tended to cascade until she had a real mess on her hands. Baths solved these problems, though Tazrae found herself playing with magic as she bathed the baby.

Res was extruded and formed bubbles into the water, rising up and circulating around the bath, dancing for the baby’s delight. Taz laughed as well, finding the practice good training as she concentrated on the magic while wiping all evidence of Khari’s earlier misfortunes from the tiny baby’s body with a small incredibly soft hand towel. The bubbles formed animals that were iridescent in the sunset as the material the soap was made from flowed across the tension of water and air in the bubble. Taz concentrated, forming lions and tigers and ashta and even a mulgan. She made a flock of parrots by willing the bubbles into those shapes, and they circled around Khari like a silent flock before they flew off into the night.

“Why no Ixam?” Bree asked quietly from the shadows. Within her paws, several hatchings had taken shelter. She nosed one, her tongue coming out and stroking the creature’s tiny head. It was a jeweled swirl of greens and reds that reminded Tazrae of one of the holiday seasons in Riverfall. The other one was pure white and on the small side even though it had hatched before the green and red. The white one’s eyes were pink and Taz suspected it was an albino.
Last edited by Tazrae on November 5th, 2022, 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A mark of an open mind is being more committed to your curiosity than your conviction.
The goal of learning is not to shield old views against new facts, but to revise old views with new facts.
Ideas are possibilities to explore, not certainties to defend."

Garden Beach Syka The Protea Inn

"Listen to the wind, it talks. Listen to the silence, it speaks. Listen to your heart, it knows."
Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Words: 1916653
Joined roleplay: May 3rd, 2020, 2:02 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syka Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Tazrae on November 5th, 2022, 4:05 am

“She knows full well what you are. You and your lot are all around her. I show her animals she might not yet have seen.” Taz replied, her voice singsong as she bathed her daughter and kept the bubbles moving. She secretly thought she was having a good influence on Bree who seemed to be the first-ever Ixam to start nurturing the hatchlings rather than eating them. Though, in truth, it might just be a passing fancy.

From the parrots, Taz concentrated on the Res and reformed the bubbles into dolphins. The bubble dolphins leaped from the water, and dove back in it, while Taz sent a stream of steaming baby bathwater up and around the child like a giant wet ribbon for the dolphins to swim through. She laughed when Khari laughed and didn’t discourage her from reaching for the bubbles, trying to catch the dolphin-shaped bubbles in her tiny fists. Taz enforced her will on them and the dolphins scattered before the baby’s reach, reacting to her action, and had them swirl around the child to pop one at a time by bouncing into her nose. The little one blinked, scared at first, then laughed outright, fists waving in the air again as if demanding more.

Taz vanquished the water from the tub and called forth fresh water with the use of her Res swirling into the little tub and transitioning immediately into warm fresh water so the bard could rise the girl quickly. Then, once that was done, Taz dismissed the Res off Khari, drying her almost immediately, and wrapped her in a warm towel so that she could snuggle in.

“Are you going to give her Res so she can play on her own?” Bree asked, curiously. “Because I want some as well if you do. Certainly, if one of your offspring can control it, I can as well.” The Ixam said thoughtfully, this being the first time she’d mentioned it to Tazrae at all.
“Dear Gods no…. I mean… well yes, when she’s older. But my first element was fire, and I certainly don’t want a baby lighting everything up in flames when she gets irritated or scared.” The woman told the reptile and offered her a smile. “What would you do with Reimancy anyhow?” She asked, curious, and legitimately wanted to know. “Because my first thought would be that you’d want to actually just barbeque your hatchlings before you ate them.” Taz added, legitimately thinking that could be a possibility.

Bree laughed and sent a hatchling from her forepaws tumbling. The creature got back up, hissed at her, and attacked again, just to get the same treatment. Taz quickly realized the full-grown female was playing with the infant. “It would help me understand you better. And I would use it for good, of course… in the eternal fight for good and evil, only for good. Snacking purposes weren’t a consideration.” Bree interjected persuasively. “I think I can do it. I’m as smart as you or that water mage, or even that stone mage you watch like a hawk when you think he’s not looking.” She said dryly.
Last edited by Tazrae on November 5th, 2022, 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A mark of an open mind is being more committed to your curiosity than your conviction.
The goal of learning is not to shield old views against new facts, but to revise old views with new facts.

"Listen to the wind, it talks. Listen to the silence, it speaks. Listen to your heart, it knows."
Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Tazrae on November 5th, 2022, 4:09 am

=

“An induction could seriously hurt you or even kill you, Bree.” Taz told her soberly, while at the same time bouncing Khari and gently toweling her down even though the child was already quite dry. The baby loved touches, rubbing, and being handled at all. Rubbing her with a soft towel was akin to paradise. She reached down, unbuttoned her shirt, and gently snuggled the infant up against her chest, letting her take a nipple and nurse. The bard was certain she’d fall asleep after a few moments with her newly cleaned bottom (and hair) and a full stomach.

When Khari was busy nuzzling, Taz turned back to Bree. The big Ixam had the albino hatchling by the tail and was gently preventing her from running off in an almost comic scene that had the little one clawing for purchase in the sand and gaining none. Bree let her go a moment later with a wicked gleam in her eye and the little thing went tumbling tail overhead with a hiss of laughter and the other green and red chasing after her. They both came scrambling right back begging for more attention.

Bree gave them none. Instead, she turned and answered Taz. “I realize that. I was here when that mage gave you Res. I wasn’t around when you gave Alric his Res, but I imagine it wasn’t that different. You did that away from here. But I watch. I learn. I know it came from you. I can handle it. I’m tough, Taz. And I wouldn’t abuse it. You’d just have to teach me other magical theories. I know very little about it. But you promised that other woman you’d teach her about magic. Let me sit in on the lessons.” Bree said sensibly with a touch of irritation. The two hatchlings, both yawning were snuggling into her forepaws busy competing for the most comfortable positions to curl up and go to sleep.

Taz watched this thoughtfully, then nodded. “Alright. You can sit in. And I’d like to talk to Alric but I don’t see why you can’t learn Reimancy.” Taz added. The truth was, there was little she’d refuse Bree. And Bree felt like this one ally she’d never lose and who would never fail to be at her side. Since she’d accidentally touched the emerald and sapphire Ixam with that Rod of Sentience, a magic item she didn’t understand at the time, Bree had risen to become something else, something more and Taz was forever grateful to her.

Khari took that moment to release herself from the suckling and lift her head. She mewed like a kitten and then wailed. Taz shifted her to her shoulder, gently patted her back, and started rocking her back and forth. “Shhhhhh” She said, humming softly under her breath. “Shhhh little one…” She said, rocking back and forth. The babe began wailing then, crying like her life was over and Taz didn’t know why. Suddenly she let out a huge belch, seemed to shudder, and then blinked back the tears from her eyes. Taz watched her worriedly, but the little girl seemed to settle and look about. The bard wondered how far the child could see. And though the clouds were rolling in, stars were visible between them. Taz pointed them out, lifting her arm to show the little baby.

Bree looked up as well, looking to where Tazrae pointed, as she told her every story she could remember about the stars and the goings on in the night sky. And as she did so, her daughter actually looked around as if interested, though neither the grown woman nor the grown Ixam thought she knew what exactly Tazrae was talking about. Khari remained calm though, and that brought a new smile to Tazrae’s face.

And when she ran out of stories she tried a different tactic. Taz reached inside, sought her djedpools, and linked with it. She pulled djed forward, lifted up her free hand, and released a combined fire and air into the sky. The djed arched up into the sky and lit up the clouds, bending to Tazrae’s will. Thunder rumbled around the clouds as lightning struck from cloud to cloud putting on a light show just for her daughter. She pulled more djed, stretching, reaching, combining her elements, and bending them to her will. She sent the Res outwards, over the sea of the bay, and struck the lightning down in big bolts to light up the sky.
Last edited by Tazrae on November 5th, 2022, 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Tazrae on November 5th, 2022, 4:11 am

This time last year she would have never considered doing something like this, not as a display or just for her own pleasure. The truth was, even last season around this time, she would have never considered doing something like this. It would have been wasteful, arrogant, and even dangerous. Her control wasn’t perfect, and Tazrae understood that. But without flexing those magical muscles, she would never have the control she would need in the future. Besides, Taz was a mother now, a protector, and she’d lost something of her mortality in her experience with Sran’tuka. And now, after facing off against her family, Sran’tuka, and even having her twins… she needed the feeling flexing her Reimancy muscles were giving her. They gave her confidence, and empowerment, and she felt like a puppet master at a children’s show as she used her free hand to gesture, sending more and more Res into the clouds and slapping the sea with her power.

Bree watched with a calculating eye, glancing between Tazrae and Khari. “Will she be able to do that?” The Ixam asked, curious.

Tazrae turned, releasing her hold on the djed and letting the mini storm she’d created dissipate. She turned her head sharply, studying her infant daughter still nestled up to her chest watching the light show in the sky. She’s a product of her people. If someone initiates her when she’s old and wise enough to handle the power, she should far exceed what I am able to do. I haven’t linked with her, or looked at her djedpools yet, but I don’t think such things are stabilized in a very young. I think they grow as people grow and settle somewhere around puberty. I’ll look when she’s older. It's not something I have to worry about now.” She said softly, glancing at the Ixam.

She wasn’t ready to let the magic go though, not just yet. It was seductive and she’d been a full year without it. She lifted her free hand and called a ball of fire into her palm. She set it into the air dancing as if it were poi tethered to a chain. She added more balls to it, circling the first in complex patterns, keeping an iron grip on the res – controlling the burn and the direction. Then she manifested balls of water with her Res as well. One ball became two then three and she danced the water with the fire and circled in a small less impressive show that took just as much control.

Taz played with the Res until sweat poured down her face, back, and shoulders… until Khari felt like a lead weight in the crook of her arm. She played with the Reimancy until there was nothing else, she could do but snuff the water balls out and let the glittering of the fireballs dance over, and light the firepit and brazier inside the pavilion. Now that it was dark, they needed some light. The final remaining little fireball she sent dancing across the area to light the tiki torches she had set out for ambiance. Most of them had plenty of oil and all they needed was a touch of fire to their wicks. Once it had done its task for Tazrae, that fireball winked out of existence leaving the trio bathed in the usual soft firelight of the camp.

Setting down abruptly she glanced at Bree. “You sure you want this?” She turned and slipped Khari into her baby hammock that she’d suspended from the palapa overhead beams. Her daughter wiggled a bit but then settled and yawned in a way that made Taz’s heart melt as she watched her daughter slip off to sleep. “It’s taxing, dangerous, and it might get you killed.” Taz reiterated, knowing she’d have to teach Bree about Djedpools and everything else involved in the magic.
Last edited by Tazrae on November 5th, 2022, 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Tazrae on November 5th, 2022, 4:14 am

Bree looked thoughtful. “You are powerful, aren’t you? You said Khari is going to be stronger, but you can do a lot if you want to as well.” She asked, lifting an eye ridge and watching Tazrae across the firelight. The Innkeeper thought the Ixam’s eyes were beautiful with the backlight refracting off her inner irises.

“I’m not the most powerful person I’ve ever felt. You should see Alric’s djedpool. It’s deep and strong like Khari’s father is. I think it’s the Nymkarta. They were bred for so many years to be the strongest. They call them Godblooded for a reason. If I had my choice, my daughter wouldn’t have this burden. I don’t think Alric wants it either. And I have no idea what kind of djedpools an Ixam will have. You may not be able to use Reimancy… or you may be stronger than any of us imagined. You’ll be the first… so if you decide to do it… there’s no guarantee.” Taz said, looking at Bree respectfully.

“Being a mage isn’t easy either. You… go through a lot. You question your sanity. And you can lose it just as easily. This morning, it was bad… really bad. I… lost my mind at The Outpost. If Shiress hadn’t found me, I don’t know what would have happened.” Taz said, glancing at Bree. Her admission was like a confession… to both Bree and herself that she wasn’t always able to forge ahead on her own. Sometimes she needed help.

“You’ve been through a lot. You have young. But you also aren’t alone. You are surrounded by friends. We’ll help you if you ask. If this magic can make me stronger, I’ll risk the bad parts of it and try to solve the unknown. I’d do that for you. I owe you a lot.. .my life and a whole lot more. Help me protect Syka, and your family… help me protect you.” She added.

Tazrae nodded. “Okay… I’ll do it. But I want others there… in case it goes wrong. I’ll ask Alric first. If he won’t do it, I’ll ask Duncan.” She added, but she knew Alric probably wouldn’t say no and that he was Bree’s friend as well. Duncan wasn’t… and that might make all the difference in the world.

“We’ll do something tomorrow after we’ve all rested.” She finished, and Bree nodded.

“Get some sleep, mage. You need it.” Bree advised, lifting her head, yawning, then shifting so she was half curled in a more comfortable position to sleep. Her motion dislodged the hatchlings and sent them resettling into her lap for a moment. And in that instant, with Bree, Khari, and the hatchlings sleeping, Taz decided that everything was almost completely right in the world.

Almost.

There were just a couple of people missing from the scene. Bree’s Scarlet Ixam was off somewhere, no doubt up to no good. And Kaysen was still out in the world. But beyond that as well, it wouldn’t actually be perfect unless a certain Sunberth street rat decided to come home to stay… once and for all. Before that happened, there was a lot to tell him though… and Taz decided she’d do that before Bree’s initiation, and find out if Alric – after knowing everything – still wanted to help.

Words: 3049

Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Tazrae on November 5th, 2022, 7:50 am

Grading

Tazrae-

Reimancy +5, Rhetoric +3, Cleaning +3, Childcare +5, Interrogation +2

Childcare: Bathing A Baby, Reimancy: Controlling Air Bubbles, Reimancy: Making Animal Shaped Bubbles, Reimancy: Manipulating Water Temperatures, Reimancy: The Decision To Induct Or Not Induct, Reimancy: Making Different Types Of Lightening, Reimancy: Making Fire and Water Balls, Reimancy: The Logistics Of Inducting A Non-Human

Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes