Resonance Pt II

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Resonance Pt II

Postby Alric Lysane on November 25th, 2022, 4:00 pm

43rd Fall 5C2 AV – The Community Pool

The Community Pool was less crowded than he remembered it being the last time he had visited, but still many figures were dotted around even if they were in their clear groups. Even though Syka was a fairly open settlement, with people largely working together, it was still clear that certain people got on better with certain others. It was somewhat refreshing to still see a kind of factionalism that he was used to, even if it was purely social in nature, rather than political, or violent. It was fortunate for him, given he had decided it was the palce he would try out some exploration of his newest magic. Currently he was shirtless, bootless and resting his back against a smooth, reimancy sculpted boulder just a short way from the warming pool.

At least if something does end up happening there is a warm bath to soak the aches away in he thought to himself as he watched others interact. It was an amusing an often heart-warming hobby in Syka, where there was usually more joy than sorrow.

“You should be careful, think more upon what happened last time rather than the warm waters. Planning for failure is good, but not preventing it as far as you can first...problematic” Jade’s pointed comment cut through his study of others.

“Yes Jade, I know. That’s why you are here. I think it will be fine, the initial awakening...it wasn’t planned, with unexpected variables. This is a more planned event. I’m not ricking unnecessarily. If anything not trying to learn it would be more dangerous”

“How so?”

“Because it’s going to be all around me now. This palce bleeds magic, seeps it. You really think there aren’t some Voril weapons dotted around, which knowing my luck will falls into my lap and suddenly hold me in thrall...unless I practise? Explore?’

“You are more Nymkartan than you tell yourself...very well. I will watch over, just in case”

Alric nodded and then closed his eyes, resting the back of his head upon the stone, enjoying the warmth seeping into him from it, sensing at the edges of his awareness the stone itself, a sort of echo that he was beginning to notice as he explored his geomancy further. He ignored that, his desired resonance with something else this day – weapons. Instead, he began to regulate his breathing, sinking into himself as he slipped into the meditative rhythm he had been taught, his muscles relaxing and the stresses upon his mind easing slightly. He slipped deep into himself, to his well, suspended above it and creating the now familiar flame and bubble, making sure that all distractions were engulfed, taking his time as he felt himself ease further, progressing until he was at the comfortable place – the place where there was true presence in the moment, opening his eyes once achieved and letting his Djed trickle into him, feeling it and directing it to his eyes, illuminating them with the familiar emerald colour that showed his auristic magic was at work.

His eyes took in the various weapons he had laid upon the ground before him – all of them ‘normal’ ones as far as he knew. Zhyad was to his side for the moment, ready for later when he had tried a fw other things first, had attuned what he remembered from reading that magical tome with Taz so long ago. None of them had a particularly large aura, they seemed normal. No magic in them at all, not that he could detect. He had experimented with magical items – they both had – and these were not magical – his daggers and bagh nakh. Then he gazed upon his kukri – its aura was larger, tinted the blue he knew meant some magical association. He got the sensation of chill across the back of his neck and the smell of fresh snow. That made sense, he had given it the power of freezing himself with the gems Lys had gifted him. He then pulled off his ring and placed it upon the ground before him – it shone blue too, an inch or so larger than the ring itself, its aura clear.

He smiled and them put his ring back on, turning his head to look upon Zhyad and seeing its aura was much larger, a good foot or so around itself on all sides. It was a Voril weapon and its aura wasn't just blue...it was all colours. It seemed for all the world like a normal person’s aura, just smaller. He nodded at that. It made sense given that Voril weapons that had been used by talented mages were supposed to be almost sentient – or at least the book had said that. He felt he had confirmed that – if the aura was akin to a person's then it must be a person...just a metal one. Its colours danced, though they seemed sharper, somewhat duller, as if its metallic nature were reflected by tinting the shades of the aura.

Letting his auristics fade, he instead merely held onto his Djed, keeping open the trickling access to it as he tilted his head and concentrated upon Zhyad, listening and feeling. There was an echo there, a resonance, almost like a warmth – a welcoming open door with a fire behind it on a cold winter’s night, before Morwen had vanished. He could feel Zhyad there, a very real and physical presence despite not even touching it. It throbbed and crackled, much like a fire’s heat might do with more or less fuel. There was a distant sounding of its music, very muted and harder to hear but very much there.

“I can sense you Zhyad, without touching you. The book was right, Voril mages can sense Voril weapons,” he spoke to the broadsword and, for a moment, the music grew louder to his senses and he grinned, “I wonder...stay there Zhyad. Keep the music louder” he said, pushing himself up to his feet slowly, concentrating on keep his control, acknowledging the music but not falling into it.

Words - 1014

~ Thanks to Gossamer/Shiress for post Boxcodes ~
Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Words: 1010203
Joined roleplay: October 29th, 2021, 5:41 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)

Resonance Pt II

Postby Alric Lysane on November 25th, 2022, 5:38 pm

As he paced away about twenty feet or so he reflected that he had missed the pursuit of magic. For all its dangers it was still an intriguing puzzle, and a part of him in ways he couldn’t really describe. Once he would have run a mile from that line of thinking, but now it was simple accepted. It just was – like breathing. Still, he was mindful of its danger, it was a seductive thing and in many ways he thought its very nature tended to creep into your life, until you looked back from where you were to where you started, and found it to be so entrenched it was almost like an addiction. He had seen addiction on the streets and had no desire to end his life that way.

Standing further away now he tilted his head, thrumming with his Djed and listening. It was still audible, but it was softer now, more distant. Still the fact that he could still hear Zhyad’s musical composition was proof of concept that what he was sensing was a tangible thing, and it was responsive. He felt the pulsing warmth of presence from the blade too, but again it was weaker, colder and less comforting. He frowned in thought and stepped another twenty feet away, trying again. It was even weaker than from twenty feet than forty, which was a further proof of concept. He smiled to himself as he nodded, walking back to where he had started and sitting down once more.

“Was it revealing?” Jade asked him, in a way Alric felt sure was an attempt at a joke given the name – Zhyad.

“You are very funny. Yes, the Revealer was most revealing. I thought you wanted me to take this seriously?”

“And I thought that you wanted me to be more relaxed” Jade said, the sarcasm covered quite a bit by the impassiveness of his face, though Alric snorted as he saw through it – he had gotten to know Jade well enough over the past few seasons.

“You now Jade, I think we’re rubbing off on each other. You’re starting to amuse me when you joke. I’m proud of you”

“And I am proud of your stalwart strength of character”

Alric shook his head, the Gasvik had a way of cutting through things and telling him what it was he needed – or was failing in – that other people just didn’t manage. He was right of course, but Alric also knew he was working on it, and Jade knew that. It was a strange sort of bond that they had settled upon, one that was still developing but growing into a form of respect as well as a companionable ability to mock each other within limits. Still, there was much progress to be made, though Stu was encouraging him in many ways, and was pleased with his progress in so far as they discussed it when Alric asked him for further advice.

“If you wanted to know what I learned Jade _ I learned that I can sense Voril weapons. Even without touching them. They give of a warm light, light a beacon or lighthouse. It was about half strength at forty feet...so maybe I can sense them up to eighty...maybe a bit more than that. I suppose we’ll see. I’ll need more to try to experiment further...triangulation exercises perhaps”

“So...you could sense Sweet Refrain then?” Jade asked innocently.

“Yes...yes I could. Now be quiet or I’ll go into Thrall again” he responded, not giving the Gasvik time to practise his mockery further.

He settled back into a seated position once more and thanked Zhyad with a quick brush if his fingers, turning his attention once more to the other weapons before him, the more mundane ones. He could hear no songs from them, which was expected, however he did feel other things less overt. He had noticed it since he had had his awakening, yet this was the first time he had sat down to try to quantify it. Now he was at that point we tried what he had tried with Zhyad, and though there were no beacons of warmth to feel out, there were other things. He frowned and tilted his head, trying to make sense of what it was he was feeling.

Words - 718
~ Thanks to Gossamer/Shiress for post Boxcodes ~
Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Words: 1010203
Joined roleplay: October 29th, 2021, 5:41 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2