Completed [The Protea Inn] The Difficult Customer Pt. 1

Tazrae consults her Silas Journal on Psychology to learn how to better deal with five types of difficult customers.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

[The Protea Inn] The Difficult Customer Pt. 1

Postby Tazrae on November 27th, 2022, 6:29 am

Timestamp: 90th of Fall, 522 A.V.

Taz sat out on the deck of The Protea, her feet up on the railing, and her bum resting in one of her comfortable rocking chairs. She gently rocked herself and by extension, a little baby hanging in a hammock hung beside her. She was comfortable, and relaxed, having finished the lunch rush and the dishes.

Tazrae should have walked back to Garden Beach, but frankly, without enough sleep and without much extra energy, she decided to stick to The Protea and let her own lunch digest. She’d nap if the urge came to her. That’s what Khari was currently doing. And until then, she’d do something to brush up on her Innkeeper Skills. The Silas Journal of Psychology was resting in her lap, almost nestled there. The thing wasn’t hostile, not like her Silas Magecrafting Journal was. This one, with its pretty green leather cover and its brain design on the front, was almost like a pet cat and was purring in her lap as she stroked its spine.

She’d nicknamed it Psy, which was something that seemed to please the tome. And slowly, but surely, she was reading the whole of its contents. It had been added to by a number of sources and she herself was adding to it as well, expanding its knowledge, which was why it was pleased by her attention.

“Innkeeper, what would you like to learn about today?” Psy asked, the brain part of its leather design undulating under her touch.

Taz smiled slowly, pleased every time it greeted her with affection. It was something she didn’t see a lot of in her life, so she appreciated it even in magical items. “I want to improve my ability to be an Innkeeper… by learning more about how to deal with the different types of guests I might see.” She told it, letting it ruminate on that fact a little.

“I see… and what are some of the types of guests you tend to get?” It asked, thoughtfully, its pages starting to ruffle as if it were searching its insides to see if there was some sort of information within it that would assist Tazrae’s request. Its voice was silky smooth, curious, and not for the first time did Taz wonder if an actual soul of something living was trapped in the book – not just the book somehow animated to mimic life.

“Well, as an Innkeeper I get all kinds of problem types. I get hostile and aggressive people, you know the kind that is almost always bullies? Then there are the complainers. I get the know-it-alls. Then there are the people with a decided lack of boundaries. And finally, I get a lot of people that have no idea what they want. These are the ones I think of as indecisive. Is there strategies inside you to help someone deal with the sort of mentality of each type and give me some skills as an Innkeeper to deal with them? I’m a poor hostess if I cannot get trained in these sorts of problem management issues.” Taz said thoughtfully.
"A mark of an open mind is being more committed to your curiosity than your conviction.
The goal of learning is not to shield old views against new facts, but to revise old views with new facts.
Ideas are possibilities to explore, not certainties to defend."

Garden Beach Syka The Protea Inn

"Listen to the wind, it talks. Listen to the silence, it speaks. Listen to your heart, it knows."
Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Words: 1916653
Joined roleplay: May 3rd, 2020, 2:02 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syka Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Tazrae on November 27th, 2022, 6:31 am

The book scrunched its brain logo up like it was being thoughtful, then flipped open its pages, riffling through it as if an invisible hand was rifling through the individual pages. Taz watched curiously, hoping her questions weren’t too specific and too tailored to her needs rather than a broader scope of just dealing with that type of personality, to begin with. Then, finally, with a flourish, its pages opened to a section on customer service and psychology. The young Innkeeper was startled that the psychology book had sections on customer service, to begin with.

Taz leaned over its pages, intrigued, as it started out on a section that stated ‘The Customer Is Always Right - Or Are They?’

But before she could read the section, the book started reciting its writing to her. Leaning back, Tazrae listened intently, crossing her bare feet where they rested on the railing of the deck. “Without customers, a business cannot thrive nor survive. And that means a person needs a product or a service that someone is actually willing to pay for. That is the core basis of running a business. However, business owners often encounter difficult customers that can leave them angry, worked up, frustrated, or simply drained." The book said.

Then Psy continued. "The way a business professional handles difficult customers often defines the quality of their character and the core of their customer service. Not knowing how to deal with difficult customers may lead to lost sales, damaged reputations, and low morale. But knowing what types of difficult customers a business professional might encounter and how to deal with them gives business tools in its toolbox to thrive day to day by being able to handle challenging situations.” Psy replied, flipping its page on its own.

“So, Taz there are five major types of customers that can potentially be difficult to deal with. Each different type of personality often requires a different approach to how a professional business person, friend, or even acquaintance deals with them. If you don’t have the right approach, it can be very frustrating dealing with them, and its often not a successful situation. If you want a successful business or social interaction, you need the right approach.” Psy said, reading its pages aloud.

Tazrae nodded. “Five types of difficult customers or just people in general. Got it. This is going to help me enormously with my hostessing skills.” She added, thinking out loud. “So what’s the first type?” The Innkeeper asked.

The book shifted on her lap and began speaking again. “The first type is a bully. You know, quick to anger, aggressive, highly critical, rude, impatient, often arrogant, and usually verbally abusive.” The book said, pausing as if it were taking a breath. But that would be odd, Taz thought, since it didn’t have any lungs.

“I know the type. They are people that put their needs ahead of everyone else. I’ve had superior-minded people that think they are more important or better than anyone else. They all have the same traits… they want to be helped immediately and they don’t like waiting.” Taz added, having had a recent experience with this via two thugs from Sunberth.
"A mark of an open mind is being more committed to your curiosity than your conviction.
The goal of learning is not to shield old views against new facts, but to revise old views with new facts.

"Listen to the wind, it talks. Listen to the silence, it speaks. Listen to your heart, it knows."
Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Tazrae on November 27th, 2022, 6:33 am

The book was in agreement. “They use tactics of intimidation. They will be vocally disruptive, like screaming, complaining, banging tables, and generally verbally abusive to get what they want. Often, if what they want isn’t forthcoming, the violence will escalate.” Taz nodded, well aware of the type. She’d never had it spelled out as simply as this, but it helped her to have clear concise lines.

“So how do I deal with them?” She asked, curious, reaching out to flip the Psy’s pages all on her own. It actually had a list of potential fixes. She ran her finger down the list, reading even as Psy spoke up. She actually liked the book’s resonant voice and relaxed as it started reciting the list.

“These personality types don’t care what you think or what your opinion is. Thus, you are wasting energy that would be better served by people more receptive. Bullies aren’t receptive. Their rudeness and arrogant attitude often make it hard for them to listen to reason or any other opinions other than their own. They need to be placated instead. Simply remain calm and confidently apologize for whatever they are complaining about or the thing that is making them unhappy. Then, if they remain calm, ask them to tell you how you can help them with their problems.” Psy said, flipping its own page.

“It's important to remain calm. Maintain eye contact and don’t engage or rise to their levels of anger or pressure. Don’t raise a voice, shout, or match his or her aggression. Respond politely. Let any insult or critique roll off the target like water off a duck. Someone needs to remain ‘sane’ in the face of a badly behaving person. If they won’t calm down and any attempts to deal with the bully fail, simply cut them off. Don’t do business or have a relationship with them. These types of people are often bad for business and bad for the mental health of people trying to deal with them.” Psy said, flipping his page again.

“People like that are often bad for business, in my experience. They tend to drive off the good customers I want around.” Taz added, shaking her head. “It’s never the residents of Syka. It’s these entitled visitors.” She added. “Thankfully I’ve never had someone whose business is necessary for the survival of my Inn. What do I do if that ever happens? Is there a solution?” She asked, curious.

Psy seemed to mull this concept over, perhaps scanning what was in his contents. “Yes. I have an answer for you. If the bully is a high-volume customer or is important to the community in other ways, pause the interaction and give them time to cool off. Put off dealing with the bully, then catch them at a better time when they are in a better mood. Cool-off times are real things. If an acquaintance or business person can win over a bully, they will often be a very loyal and protective customer or friend of a business or individual.” The book said.

Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Tazrae on November 27th, 2022, 6:34 am

Taz looked thoughtful. “Every group has that one person that’s like that. Sometimes they don’t mean it, or aren’t aware how they are coming off. Bullies exist everywhere.” Taz sighed softly. She shifted, uncrossing her legs and crossing them the other way. She stretched slightly, hoping the other types were easier. “What else you got for me, Psy?” She asked, brushing a stray lock of hair out of her eyes. She took a moment to glance at Khari, who was still deeply asleep.

The baby was doing so well. She wondered, with a sharp pain in her chest, how her son was fairing. Kaysen was never far from her mind.

Psy broke up her train of thought.

“Your next type of difficult personality is the know-it-all.” The book said.

Taz shook her head. “You mean the kind of people that know all there is to know about everything, including whatever service or product you are providing them? Even things you are extremely talented at, like cooking?” She asked, shaking her head. This was her least favorite type of person, to be honest.

“Of course. They want everyone to know how much they know. They are often highly critical and rude. They talk a lot and often run over people with their conversations. My pages say this type of person – especially as a customer – is hard to deal with because you absolutely can’t really tell them what they want.” Psy said with a hrmph.

Taz nodded in agreement, taking a moment to marvel that she was talking to a book and not another person. “It's often a way for them to undervalue what goods and services you are offering. The know-it-all will try and talk you down in price.” The Innkeeper admitted.

“It’s all about their ego, Tazrae.” Psy said, flipping another page. “They want to hear their own voice and love to be the center stage… have all the attention on them.” The tome added.

Taz looked thoughtful. “I find know-it-alls easier to deal with than say the bullies. What do your pages recommend in dealing with know-it-alls?” The Innkeeper asked, curious.

More pages ruffled, turning. “Seems easy enough,” Psy replied. “They respond best to having their egos stroked. You can compliment their knowledge, and give them all the attention you can afford them. My pages also suggest sincere compliments and not condescending or patronizing.” The book added.

Taz nodded. “Anything else?” She asked, curious.

“I suggest, in the light of the knowledge amassed here, that you never argue with this type of customer. They won’t let the argument ever end and if the ego gets wounded, they won’t ever forget.” Psy added.

Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Tazrae on November 27th, 2022, 6:36 am

The Innkeeper reviewed the pages curiously, wondering how much the book was with-holding. And honestly, it looked like there was a lot about their inflated egos and making sure it wasn’t damaged. Know-it-alls it seemed, had a lot of underlying damage that they used their egos and a bunch of facts filling their heads to compensate for. Relationships with them could be built, so long as their fragile egos remained intact.

Taz gave the book a nod, then ran her hand down its pages, flipping it again.

“The complainer is next?” She asked, reading a bit ahead.

Psy agreed. “Yes… we aren’t talking about general complaints or customers that offer positive and constructive criticism or feedback. We’re talking about those that complain about everything and anything. They go on about unfair prices, services or goods that don’t match their expectation or even minute things like décor.” The book said.

Taz agreed. “I really dislike this type. Nothing is ever good enough for them and they are usually impossible to please.” She shook her head, having had experiences – especially in Riverfall – with this type. “How do we deal with them?” She asked, curious.

The book rippled, not really turning pages, but more like it was flexing some invisible muscles. “These types of people cause a lot of stress and can be incredibly draining. You need to realize, as a business owner, that you cannot satisfy everyone – especially habitual complainers. Do not go out of your way to address every one of their complaints or satisfy their needs. Give your best service, put forth your best goods, and ignore the critique.” It advised, causing Taz to sigh softly.

“There has to be more you can do as a hostess… you're supposed to see to the needs of all your guests, even those with inflated egos,” Taz said thoughtfully.

Psy agreed with her. “Sure. My pages say to give the complainer your attention and listen. Don’t make excuses though or explain yourself to try and counter their complaints. Nothing you can do can counter complaints. Stay calm, nice, and responsive. Even smile and be pleasant. Remember, some complaints are valid. If you can fix the source of the complaint, do so.” The book said, fluttering its pages.

“I mean... I can see some people complaining and having valid complaints. I always have room for improvement as an Innkeeper and as a hostess. And people pay for clean, safe environments with delicious food and good hospitality. If I am not doing that, then I need to change. I will listen to complaints with an open mind.” Taz said, kicking her bare feet down from the railing and shifting her spot in the seat she was occupying. She sat the book aside, rose, and tip-toed over to the hammock to check on the baby. Khari was doing well, still, sound asleep. So she slipped into the Inn, poured herself a fresh juice, and came back out on the deck to admire the beauty of the blue water and the white sands. The beach was stunning from this vantage.

When she was ready, she set her juice aside and then picked up the Silas Journal on Psychology again. “So that’s three types…. What’s the fourth?” She asked, curiously. The book opened up again, and they started back into their study.

Words: 2554

Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Tazrae on November 27th, 2022, 6:44 am

Grading!

Tazrae -

Hostessing +5, Research +5, Psychology +5

Hostessing: Dealing With Know-It-All Customers, Hostessing: Dealing With Complainers, Hostessing: Dealing With Bullies, Psychology: Using Psychology To Deal With Various Types Of Customers, Hostessing: Studying/Researching To Better Ones Business Practices

Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes