Closed A Beachside Building[Rhydian]

Crylon runs into Rhydian while practicing his Reimancy...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

A Beachside Building[Rhydian]

Postby Crylon Stonecraft on January 15th, 2023, 7:56 pm

10 Winter 522

Rising from his bedding on another warm Sykan morning, Crylon rolled upward and hopped out of his tent. As usual he was wearing bottoms but nothing else, feeling the sand between his toes as he ran off a bit to make his morning ablutions.

On his way there and back the Isur tried to decide what he would do that day, considering one thing and then another. In the end he settled on building something, and practicing his magic. Both were things he had been meaning to do, in particular his magic since he still felt inadequate at it for any proper building projects. With that in mind the Isur decided to settle on something relatively simple, something he could also do without magic. Building sand castles.

The last time the Isur had practiced his training he had focused on sand, both making and moving it around. However he had done so roughly, as a wave of sand or random clods. Now he would need much finer tuned control to make a real shape or building out of it, even if only a simple sand one. Seeing this as a good first step with more to come later it seemed a good idea to begin his work in this medium before he worked with shifting and shaping stone or other more dense things liable to hurt someone.

Grabbing a bucket of seawater Crylon headed back to his tent which was set near the Sykan Commons but not so close as to be in the way, and picked a spot a bit away from both to avoid getting any sand on his stuff.

With his supplies ready Crylon sat down on the sand, closed his eyes, and focused on his djed in his desire to manipulate and exude his res. As usual he focused on a forge within his mind, seeing the place mentally as a safe place he went to for comfort and hominess. In the back of that hot room though was a door, a door leading to an icy cold cave. And square in the middle of that cave was a mineshaft. It was a clean edged thing, with a large hexagonal shaped opening, clean and uniform in his mind as if sliced out of the ground with a giant blade. And within that was his mental understanding of djed, the bundle within himself of fuel for his magic, minute grains of black obsidian sand. Focusing on this he lowered one hand, willing it to come forth at the same time as he pictured his mental hand dipping into this mental shaft.

While still slow, Crylon felt small improvements, and felt his magic was reacting a bit faster each time he worked at it. As he did he focused on the task at hand, and willed his res to come out of his real hand which was a counterpart to the one dipping into the black sand. A breath in, and then out... And then he pulled mentally while willing his djed to manifest as exuded res.

Opening his eyes he saw a small cloud of ethereal silvery res come forth, trickling out of his hand and forming a small cloud above his palm. This time it was a decent fist sized cloud of res, bigger than the last time he had tried it.

With that he willed the res to go down to the sand, sinking it into the surface of the material and then focusing on it, trying to work out how best to mold and shape it into a sandcastle as bits of res floated partly in the sand and partly just above it.

WC: 609
Crylon Stonecraft
Player

Words: 679695
Joined roleplay: June 2nd, 2018, 4:26 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Thread (2) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Rhydian Lamoze on January 24th, 2023, 5:17 pm

Nine Days. Nine days had gone by since he had returned to the land of Syka. In the time before that, he had disappeared from the island, grieving over the loss of his mother. It was.. extremely difficult for him. Now that he had returned though?? Well he still had a lot to deal with in that regard, emotionally. It had been stowed away for the meantime though and would sit just behind his eyes. That trauma.. It would stick with him.

It didn't exactly help that upon his return to Syka, that his hope had more or less been missing. Tazrae had opted to close down her inn for the time being and as such, Rhydian was effectively homeless. He was permitted to maintain the same job as his last time around but for the time being, he would have to dwell within a tent. And so he had. For the last nine days, he had been living outside of his tent in which he had managed to place beside the bungalows that he was hoping to check out. Eventually he would snag a place here.. Eventually.

Either way, despite everything that had led up to him being here at the moment, Rhydian had to try and focus on today. Solely the present. With that being the case, the Eypharian would climb outside of his tent and begin to go for a bit of a jog with his young Jungle Ixam, Miru. Fifteen minutes of jogging around a bit was all that he could really manage. Once that was up, he would be forced to walk back towards his home alongside Miru.

It was along this trek back towards his tent, as he was passing through the Syka Commons, that an individual whom he had never seen before would catch his eye. A man with pale skin carrying, that contained a bluish tint and had raised silver veins carried across it, had been performing an act that the Eypharian hadn't witnessed in the past. This man.. had emitted some kind of silvery cloud from the palm of his hand. 'How.. is he doing that?' The cloud would then begin to descend into the sand below, which would cause Rhydian to draw closer to him. He hadn't been all that quiet in his approach and would simply crouch beside this new individual, keeping a keen eye on what was happening. No words would escape from the Eypharian's lips. This was simply his innate curiosity in all that was happening.

Word Count: 419
Total Word Count: 419

Rhydian Lamoze
Player

Words: 132196
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2022, 12:19 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Crylon Stonecraft on January 25th, 2023, 10:08 pm

Focused as he was on the task at hand, exuding res, Crylon had not really paid much attention to anything or anyone else. Perhaps if someone had come right up to him or within his personal space he would have noticed, but as it was he was focused enough to not notice the stranger standing near him. At least until he finished the more focus intensive process of exuding res, and turned to manipulating it which still took focus but at the moment not as much. If he did not focus on exuding it would not come out, but if he lost focus on controlling it then it just did not move, he did not lose it.

As he motioned with his hands and willed the res down into the sand, pairing his motion with his willed intent for the res to follow, which it did. Considering then what to do next he noticed someone standing nearby and watching, turning with a frown to eye the other person for a moment before turning back to his res. As they were not saying anything they did not seem to be in a rush, and so he kept at what he was doing while speaking.

“Do you need something? I'm trying to practice over here...”

As he said this he motioned again with his hands, cupping one hand while lifting the other hand up a bit while keeping it flat and level. The gesture itself meant nothing, but in his mind it made sense and helped to focus his work of Reimancy. Likely making a sand castle the mundane way would be easier, but the entire point was to learn to build and make something just with Reimancy, even if it was not big or all the useful. A first step while small was important, and led to the possibility of others, and so he found no fault in taking a small step not of much use to anyone.

Whoever the man was he seemed interested, but not enough to actually speak to him, which probably meant he had no idea what he was doing. And while Crylon was not overly secretive about it, neither was he naturally forthcoming to some stranger staring at him from nearby without speaking.

With his newest command of moving the res and exerting attraction, a small mound of sand rose from the surface of the beach perhaps a half a hand tall. Not quite a mound though, Crylon quibbled to himself, since it was taller than it was wide. More like... A very tiny tower of sand.

However dry as it was he knew it would not last, and so keeping one hand flat and still to focus on keeping the res and attractive pull the same, he used the other hand to get the sea water. Then being careful he dumped a small bit of water onto the sand, watching as it soaked into the res infused material... And almost immediately collapsed as a soggy heap... Noting to himself, he saw his pull had not been strong enough, and as he could not control water but only earth he had not managed to maintain it.

Letting out a sigh he returned his hands to their earlier position, pulling more sand in to the res infused heap, trying to spread the wetness over a greater mass of sand for him to control in hopes he would be able to control it once he was done.

WC: 579
Crylon Stonecraft
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Rhydian Lamoze on February 6th, 2023, 10:26 am

For the most part, Rhydian didn't wish to disturb whatever it was that this man had been doing. At the same time though, his curiosity had gotten the better of him and would ultimately lead to his watching of the mans actions. A few moments would pass as the process would repeat itself, the man before him making various movements with his hands. Although he didn't know what it was that the man had been actively doing within his mindscape, Rhydian had decided to attempt to replicate the mans actions. Unsurprisingly, this would lead to nothing more than simple hand movements being copied by the Eypharian's four hands.

Once the man had begun to take notice of Rhydian and would even go as far as to question his presence, Rhydian would snap out of this haze of curiosity and turn his attention fully towards the man himself. "I.. apologize. I got a bit caught up in what it is that you are doing at the moment. I simply find it to be rather interesting." Taking a moment to scratch at the back of his head softly with one of his four hands, Rhydian would awkwardly laugh. "That mist of yours caught my attention. I hope that I'm not being too much of a nuisance... I've simply never seen such a thing before"

With a surge of sand rising into the air, Rhydian couldn't help but be taken aback. While he still wasn't quite sure what was happening in this moment, he at least believed this process to involve magic to some degree. If that were to be the case then this was something that he should most certainly write about!! For the sake of further increasing his own knowledge, Rhydian would reach into his bag and produce a waterproof leather roll. He would then unfurl the leather roll and would proceed to snag his book, ink, and a quill from it. "Do you mind telling me a bit about what it is that you are doing..?? I would greatly appreciate it if you could!! P-perhaps we could both gain something out of this.. Like I could take notes on what it is that you are doing and we can look over the notes to see what you are doing right or wrong."

Word Count: 382
Total Word Count: 801

Rhydian Lamoze
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Crylon Stonecraft on February 9th, 2023, 1:00 am

His pile of wet sand having collapsed, Crylon motioned again with his hands to mix it. Keeping one level to focus on the idea of keeping it straight, he bent the other hand and motioned mixing with it while willing the sand to mix and mash within the messy wetness. He also tried to pull more dry sand in with attraction as he mixed, hoping to lessen the water saturation and let it stay intact by being wet but not soaked. Still for simply making a sand castle of sorts using Reimancy, it was ending up much more difficult than he had expected.

It was around that time as he paused for a bit in his motions and gestures used to aid in his focus, that he noticed the other man was also making odd gestures. Once the odd man stopped that though he responded with a great gusto about what in fact he was doing. Which namely seemed to be... Being nosy. Or at least, trying to dig into what Crylon was doing as it was of interest to him. Which, he supposed, also meant being nosy.

Shrugging Crylon spent a moment eying the man, before returning to focus on his work with some small gestures.

“I mean I suppose its not so common, but neither is it that odd. I'm not even the only one in Syka that can do it. Though I'm not certain exactly how many there are besides me who can do it... Still though, its kind of rude to just stare without asking first or at least introducing yourself. I think that would be the bare minimum...”

Crylon for his part had not named himself, waiting for the man to do so first. As an Isur names had quite a bit of meaning, particularly in a social aspect, and one did not offer their name at random without good reason. Crylon did give his name on occasion, though rarely first and instead letting the other person go before him. If he did give a name it was generally only his first, and he could list on one hand the number of non-Isur he had actually told his full name to.

Unsure what the man was so amazed by, Crylon squinted a bit more closely at him for a few moments before again returning to his task. Sure he was moving sand without touching it, but not on any grand scale. So far he had not even managed to reach a height a hand or so off the ground, and his piles of sand had mostly been half a hand tall or close to it. In fact if the viewer was not close to the movement it seemed likely they would miss it entirely on the beach.

“I think either you need to get out more... Or you are really easily impressed... Or maybe a bit of both. As for what I'm doing... Its just a bit of earth Reimancy. Honestly though, I'm not that skilled, you can probably find better people to explain it to you than me. Particularly some people who understand it more. I'm barely past the doing it step, let alone the understanding it and explaining it to others step. And I'm not sure I really want someone documenting me working stuff out...”

As he finished saying this Crylon made another small gesture, moving his hand again around a bit to mix, while leveling and pushing the sand a bit down with the other. All of these gestures were quite complicated, but any half decent earth Reimancer could have done the same with no gestures or at least a much simpler one. Crylon however needed such things to keep his magic working correctly, or else he would likely lose control of the magic. Attraction this way... Pulling some sand this way... And also attraction this way downward... Trying to keep it contained, while also mixing it.

In the end he ended up with a somewhat bigger mound or tower of sand, perhaps two thirds of a hand high off the ground at its top which was a bit narrower than its base. Still though Crylon was unsure it would hold after he removed his res and attention, and that was his goal in truth. Making a structure with just Reimancy which could stand on its own once he was done. Still though he had to work and talk in turn, as he could not focus enough on the task while also talking, not if he wanted to keep control of it.

He was unsure how, but somehow he had ended up with a eager scribe wanting to copy down all of the stuff he was doing... Which was a bit annoying to the Isur as he was pretty sure he had not asked for that. Talking was one thing, but he was a bit uncomfortable with the thought of someone writing down it all for posterity.

WC: 825
Crylon Stonecraft
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Rhydian Lamoze on February 13th, 2023, 9:56 pm

Being sure to tilt his head off to the side as he focused in on the man before him, Rhydian would contemplate the entire situation. Was he really the one in the wrong here for being inquisitive?? Honestly, it wouldn't be all that surprising. After all, Rhydian knew very little about the world as a whole. If anything, he was learning more on Syka than he had ever learned elsewhere in his life. That, of course, would also apply to whatever the man was doing before him.

"Eh.. I suppose that I can understand where you are coming from. Still, it wasn't as though I intended on being rude. This is all.. new to me. Even just being back here, on Syka, is throwing me off a bit. So I apologize for standing out and being rude." Not sure really how else to respond at the moment, Rhydian would try and straighten himself out a bit. "My name is Rhydian and my status on out here is a bit.. complicated. I'm both new and old to Syka."

Speaking of rude statements, it would appear as though this man had several of his own to give. Not that Rhydian paid it any attention. If anything, he would simply take the mans words as criticism that needed to be changed. And if those changes were negative in any way?? Well he was certain that Tazrae would correct them. "I've never really seen anyone partake in Reimancy, albeit I've heard of one such individual here that can use it. The guy that runs the pools. Or at least he did?? I'm honestly not all that caught up on what's been happening in my absence." Figuring that he could try and turn the attention back towards this man before him though, Rhydian would attempt to do exactly that. "Still though.. This is the first time I've seen anyone capable of such a thing. Even if you aren't all that advanced in it, I wouldn't exactly discredit the work that you've been putting in. Hell, it's more than I can do."

Figuring that at this point, it would be more rude to continue his attempts at recording what the man was doing, Rhydian would roll back up his kit and stash it away. There was no use for it at the moment, if the man didn't wish for him to be weird about it. Instead of taking notes, Rhydian would have no real choice other than to focus on the mans movements. "Would you be alright with me at least watching, mister..??" Leaning in on the fact that he didn't know the mans name either, Rhydian would simply allow that bit to hang in the air for a moment. Either way, whether the man gave him his name or not, Rhydian would be sure to point towards the object that the man would make and say, "This much is impressive."

Word Count: 485
Total Word Count: 1,286

Rhydian Lamoze
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Crylon Stonecraft on February 19th, 2023, 6:46 pm

Nodding in reply while keeping his eyes on what he was doing, Crylon responded in kind to the human, though adding in a bit of his own personal flair to customize it to the situation at hand.

“My name is Crylon. N... Well, odd to meet you, Rhydian. I don't know that it was overly rude, but honestly I prefer people introduce themselves first, particularly before trying to document someones lives. I mean who knows, some people besides me might also not like people writing what they are doing down. I mean imagine doing that in Sunberth, and finding out the person was trying to commit some crime. They might not take it too well. Or perhaps doing it to someone in hiding, and living under a false identity... Say in a far off small settlement with few people... Like say, Syka... Anyways, might be a good idea to ask before such things in the future. I've got nothing to hide really, but I'm also not an open book looking to be perused freely. I don't know the same is true of other people.”

While Crylon had gone through much change while living among humans, and had come to understand the differences between them and the Isur in Sultros, he also had come to terms with people not being the same. Some had different levels of understanding or openness, and seeing as they were in a quiet off the beaten path place, there would likely be more than your average number of people wanting their privacy than in a crowded city or such place. Or at least it made sense such was true to Crylon's mind.

While Crylon spoke a bit pointedly as he pointed out some flaws in the human, he did not do so harshly, and it would quickly be clear to most anyone paying attention to the Isur that he had already moved on from the entire affair and was no longer dwelling on it. Crylon was not one to hold a grudge, and now that he had pointed out the facts as he saw them and the man had finally introduced himself he was fine with moving on to other things.

“The pools guy? Yeah, I don't know much about him, I don't frequent the pools much... I was thinking of the guy who made the paths, you know those stone cobbled ones all over through the settlement. I'm pretty sure I heard about that when I first arrived, and I think that was also with Reimancy. Maybe there are more users than I knew before.”

Crylon, having a fear of deep water, kept well clear of the pools, but had often been fascinated with the paths and how they were made. He even hoped to learn how to expand and maintain them and do the same as the person who started them, since he had an interest in such things. Still he clearly needed to improve a lot before then, seeing as he was nowhere near that point yet.

“I mean, its nothing compared to making all those paths. Its still small enough you could easily step over it without even noticing it was there. I think you probably have to at least be at the level of tripping someone to be considered half decent... Anyways, why such an interest in magic and Reimancy in particular?”

At his newest question Crylon shrugged, continuing his work, now making smaller motions and trying to level and tighten the structure in. He hoped that by making the wet sand more dense, and pulling in a bit more dry sand to even it out, he would make a firmer and better structure. And so with that in mind his motions now were more similar to a patting one than moving them around.

“Uh, you can watch all you like... But its not really going to help you with learning Reimancy, if that is your goal. You have to be initiated, which isn't something I could really handle just to make that clear before you ask. All your seeing now is gestures, which aren't a part of the Reimancy itself. They just help me focus my magic, or focus my mind on the task as I do it. Technically you can do all this without so much as twitching your nose. I'm just not there yet. But since this is still difficult for my skill level, I still need it.”

WC: 740
Crylon Stonecraft
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)