Closed [The Drunken Fish]A Tour a Town[Caspian]

Moritz and Caspian meet and go out around town...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

[The Drunken Fish]A Tour a Town[Caspian]

Postby Moritz Craven on March 15th, 2023, 12:35 am

1 Spring 523

Letting out a sigh, Moritz headed out of the kitchen and up to his room. Done with work for the day he wanted to get cleaned up, and then would be heading back down. Having met Caspian several times at the Drunken Fish he was planning to meet the man again today seeing as it was a common enough time to celebrate the new year. For a moment Moritz frowned, trying to recall if he had mentioned it was also his birthday, and that today he was turning four... Which for a Kelvic was older by a fair bit than for a human. Being an Okomo he still had a fair number of years left, but no where near as many as a slower aging human would at that age.

Thinking on his birthday reminded the Kelvic of how little he had learned and done since his leaving Lhavit... Along with that it also reminded him of his birthplace of Lhavit, and the many places and people he had left behind... And it reminded him of Infinity Manor, and the promises he had made the place when he was there the season prior...

He had money. He was an Arch mage... He had a piece of an Arch structure set to infuse a new one... Now he just needed to find some land and build or find a new place. Though having seen the places in Lhavit he doubted he would find a place he would want already made... More than likely he expected to need to have it built, which meant finding someone to do so... And perhaps, he reasoned, supplying some things from the Outpost, if the city all too likely did not have them.

Entering his room he moved quick, cleaning up, getting dressed, and going through his things. He did take much with him, preferring to move about lightly and if needed able to shift to his Okomo form. He always had one weapon on him in the form of the star embedded in one of his hands... And along with that the charm bracelet he could not remove stuck to one wrist.

He also took his pack, with a few daggers real and wooden varieties inside... His magical coinpurse which held as far as he could tell an unlimited number of coins, stored in one of his charms... And his decoy coin purse of a mundane variety carrying just a small bit of coins in his pack. For comfort he was wearing his button up suit he could shift in and some sandals he could easily remove, but that protected his feet decently enough if he used them well.

Once he was dressed and ready and armed Moritz quietly headed back down, finding an open seat in the rowdy first floor area, and waited for Caspian to arrive. For his part he waited quietly while watching the regulars move around, almost all of them consisting of sailors and those common at the port rather than the other land bound citizens seen in other parts of Sunberth.

WC: 511
Moritz Craven
Player

Words: 1102948
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2019, 11:58 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Caspian on March 15th, 2023, 2:15 pm

x

Somewhere in the smog-choked distance of Sunberth, on the first day of the new year, a bell tolls.

Caspian bolts upright in bed.

It’s a nice one, conspicuously nicer than his own, which is a note of some significance, given that he’s living in an apartment of intentional and considerably higher quality than most of the population. For a moment he entertains the thought that this bed is his, and perhaps the circumstances of his life so far were but a dream, and he’s finding that the truth of his situation is more fiscally well-off and better-smelling than he realized. But that flit of the imagination is shattered when a heavy arm lands across his waist.

Oh.

Right.

“You’re still here?” Caspian rasps out. What was this guy’s name, anyway? Martin? Mart-an?

“Hey,” the yet-unnamed still-a-stranger grumbles, head buried beneath a pillow, “this is my house, not yours. Though you certainly acted like the latter was the case.”

Bits and pieces of the previous night parade across his memory. He and Taalviel had gone out drinking; this had resulted in an argument, which would likely have happened regardless of the presence of alcohol; after parting ways, he had essentially latched himself onto the next available body.

Which wasn’t Martin/Martan, because –

Caspian slides out from beneath the heavy duvet and searches for his socks. Right, that person had managed to be even more of a drunk mess than Caspian, which funnily enough had put him right off; so the next stumbling-into, that was when he had come into the clutches of the man sleepily rubbing his eyes beside him.

It had been just fine and perfectly entertaining, Caspian recalls well enough; the man had been sufficiently well-mannered and an appropriate level of fun, so after a long, full night, they had drifted in and out of sleeping for most of the present day.

“I’m using your bathroom,” Caspian announces, scooping up his clothes.

In the bathroom, he’s stopped by his own reflection in the mirror. The gold ring on the chain around his neck glints against his bare chest.

He thinks about the previous night, and Martin/Martan as he hurriedly washes up and throws on his clothes, still reflects on it as he hurries eastward, then north through the streets. He can’t say it out loud, yet, but it becomes known within his own ears – he doesn’t look at women so much anymore, lately. Something about holding a woman just reminds him too much of the ring hanging from his neck, and directly of Rohka. And if he’s with a man, then – it’s some distance, at least, enough to allow him into the right mental space where he might have fun for a night.

The Drunken Fish is a welcome sight. It’s just Moritz he’s meeting today, he knows, but he still does care what he looks like. Reflexively he combs his fingers through his still-askew hair and rubs one last time at his bottom lids, to rid himself of as much of his smudging eyeliner as possible.

“Well there!” he says as he pushes his way through the patrons towards Moritz. He takes in the Kelvic’s weapons, the clothes buttoned all the way up – a sharp contrast to his own lingering air of dishevelment. “You look awfully ready. You ought to be proud of me, seriously. I woke up an entire hour early, just to make sure I’d be here on time.”

As they head out of the tavern, he glances at Moritz. “I’m almost afraid to ask, given how ready for bloodsport and carnage you appear to be, but what was today’s adventure, exactly?”

x
Caspian
Player

Words: 718261
Joined roleplay: August 12th, 2018, 11:26 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Overlored (1)

Postby Moritz Craven on March 16th, 2023, 1:59 am

Killing some time while he waited for Caspian, Moritz looked around the room and watched the other patrons. There were quite a few sailors inside the place, all in varying states of drunkenness. And while the stuff the Drunken Fish served was not outright poison, neither was it as fine as the drinks he had seen in other places. His old workplace in Syka for instance had served all kinds of fruity cocktails made by the proprietor, and quite a few fine kinds of drink imported from Riverfall he assumed.

Sunberth though was a much simpler place, and much of the drink was likewise simpler. Moritz for his part did not really go out with the intent of drinking and getting drunk, though admittedly he had a decent tolerance for the stuff and was no light weight. Perhaps, he reasoned, it was his hardy Okomo guts, which could stomach most anything.

Watching a few men drinking he saw as one knocked over the others mug by accident or in his drunkenness, before the other punched him. A few moments later though the two were laughing and singing, and the entire thing was forgotten as they were both passed fresh filled mugs and they began drinking again.

Passing on from that Moritz let his focus roam again, only to see Caspian enter the room. Letting the man come to him to avoid any further confusion the Kelvic sat and watched him approach, keeping an eye out for the rest of the room. He was somewhat confident of his safety inside of The Drunken Fish, but not so much he would forget he was in Sunberth and totally forget his own safety.

Once the man had finally arrived at the spot Moritz was sitting he greeted the Kelvic with a loud phrase, though Moritz was unsure if that was to make sure he was heard over the rowdy crowd or just because the man was boisterous. He assumed the former based on their earlier meetings, as the man had not seemed overly loud and excitable from what he had seen. Still he was an interesting fellow, and nice enough at times... And possibly willing to help him in his endeavors. That seemed to take precedence over his somewhat questionable characteristics, since he seemed willing to help and was not outright violent or looking to harm Moritz.

However his words after his greeting confused Moritz more than anything, unsure what he meant. Overly ready? Ready for fighting and killing? Looking down at his own appearance Moritz was unsure what he meant, since he was not overly armed. He did not have his swords with him, nor his bow out and visible. His blades were just small daggers and stowed in his pack, and seemed a simple enough precaution in this city... He'd rather have some sort of weapon at hand if he needed it and things went bad than to be completely unarmed.

"I always go out ready, how else does anyone go out? Not ready?"

Questioning the man Moritz eyed the human more closely, seeing as usual he seemed as under prepared as ever in terms of self defense. Yet again he wondered how the man had lived so long in Sunberth without being stabbed by some random mugger looking to grab a few coins.

"Honestly I'm more surprised how unready you look... You do know what city your in, right?"

Having given the man a lesson in simple combat techniques he knew how little he knew, fairly certain the man had not been faking it at the time and truly was that untrained.

As they chatted the two made their way out of the bar, and on their way the man asked Moritz another question which made the Kelvic think. After a few moments of thought and then a few more to let a sudden uproar die down Moritz finally responded, leading the man out the door or at least towards it.

"I was hoping to find some land to purchase around Sunberth. And if there is a place that meets my needs, a building. Otherwise... I guess I'll just need to buy some empty land and have it built if there isn't one ready and what I'd want. I'm assuming though, it being Sunberth, there won't be what I want, and so I assume I'll need to find someone to build the place to my specifications. That was my interest for the night."

With a slight smile Moritz looked over at the human, meeting his eyes. While the two were friendly, he was unsure he would call the man friends... They did though seem to get along well, which for Sunberth was about as good as one could hope for Moritz had come to learn.

WC: 795
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Caspian on March 17th, 2023, 2:38 pm

x

“Let’s just call ourselves fortunate that after last night, I still have all the articles of clothing I started off with. And both my shoes. Once, when I was 18, I somehow came out of a New Year’s Eve night with my left boot, and also someone else’s left boot crammed onto my right. Anyway, I’m never without a friend,” Caspian replies, pulling one of the sides of his jacket open, just enough to show Moritz the glint of his Obfuscate dagger. There’s another stabber in a slim leather sheath down his left boot, needle-thin. Once he had slipped that right between someone’s ribs, and the noise the man made, with all the blood frothing and bubbling at the corners of his lips, still haunt the edges of his mind.

At Mortiz’s explanation of his agenda for the day, he raises an eyebrow, appraising the Kelvic in new light. “A house, hmm? Or land? That’ll take a fair bit of coin.” But the Kelvic, as far as he’s been able to glean, is and has continuously been gainfully employed, so perhaps anything is possible. “Do you see yourself as settling down here? Can’t get enough of charnel and sludge, hmm?” He’s joking, but genuinely curious. Owning property in general, nevertheless here, has never crossed his mind. And while he’s not about to divulge this – at least not on so public a street – he’s got his own trove, a sizeable amount of mizas that perhaps could enable the same opportunities. “So much commitment, though,” he muses, more to himself than anything.

He glances north-ish across Baroque Bay, then south. Then back at Moritz. “I live that way,” he says, nodding southward, “in the Sunset Quarters. Which from my experience is where many people tend to live, especially if they aren’t affiliated with any of the gangs. I don’t mind you being my neighbor, but I think most of the land is essentially built up already, and crammed with apartments. What do you have in mind, as far as… meeting your needs?” he echoes Mortiz’s wording. “Are you trying to start a business? A… family, someday, maybe?” It seems a bit far-off, but – he’s pretty sure the Kelvic is somehow even bigger than the last time they saw each other, which wasn’t that long ago. The shape of his face has a new maturity to it – almost a real gravity, underlined by the confident way he carries himself, and the pack of his back that most certainly is not filled with fluff and roses.

Will he ever see Moritz shift one day? What a curious companion he seems to have made.

After Moritz’s reply, he thinks this over, then turns north again. “Up there is Daggerhand land, and where my family lives. But there’s a good bit of unclaimed territory, before one actually reaches Daggerhand streets. We could try there?”

Following the curve of the coast and the land, they have to turn westward first, before heading north. As he walks by Moritz’s side, he realizes he still looks a bit wind-blown. As he unrolls and re-rolls his sleeves – conspicuously sloppier and uneven before – dusts off his trousers, and rakes his hands through his hair one more time, he reflects over what an odd-looking couple they must be. But he’d bet all of his secret miza stash that they, by far, will not be the strangest thing anyone in this city sees today.

x
Caspian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Moritz Craven on March 18th, 2023, 1:31 am

Walking along with Caspian, Moritz shrugged in response to the mans words. He sort of got what the man was saying, but only barely and vaguely, not really having experienced many of the things the man was talking about.

"I don't know, I still don't really get the whole clothes things, or why most people seem to care so much about it. My mother seemed almost obsessed me with being properly attired when I left home. Honestly I just wear this suit so much as its easy to wear and maintain, and doesn't cause problems. And honestly no matter how much I like to be bare footed, I don't think I would ever risk it in Sunberth..."

Not outright stating it, this was referencing Moritz ability to shift with the suit with it shifting with him, something other clothing did not normally do. It was one of the reasons he wore it most of the time, it along with other things he could easily remove so he could change without trouble.

Still speaking nonchalantly, as Moritz tended to do, he breezed on from one topic to the next while dropping facts without thinking much on them or even considering they were of importance.

"I'm pretty sure I came out of New Years stark naked but a few years ago, but in my defense I was just newly born that day so I didn't really have any clothing yet. But hey, you seem to have a bit of a double standard there. You seem just as armed as me, but you are going around calling me ready to set off and do battle or spill blood or... Whatever you said. Anyways, maybe you should consider yourself before commenting on others extreme battle readiness or eagerness to spill blood. If someone was actually so inclined and you said that, I feel like that might result in them spilling said blood from you."

Moritz for his part was not averse to defending himself, but he was also not going to go around starting a fight for no reason. He did believe in people learning to fight, and sparred as often as he could to keep up his training, but did not go out seeking real fights for now reason.

When the topic moved to Moritz interest in land and a house he listened to the mans words, hoping he would say something informative. He did his best to respond and expand on his earlier words, but found it tricky since the entire reason he wanted land and a house now was related to magic... Nothing he said was an outright lie, though some could be construed as a bit misleading from someone in the know on Moritz entire story.

"I have access to some coinage, if I need it. I don't know that many in Sunberth, but I know some people back where I came from. And its not like I've been frittering away all of my time until now, before I came to Sunberth... This seems like a place where too little or too much coin can both be an issue. I do plan to stay in Sunberth for the foreseeable future, though I cannot say for sure where things will take me... But I may end up settling here. Its more related to family things, some of which I've told you about before."

Moritz, having said that, thought about Eva and his own sister who he still had not found any sign off. He had no immediate plans to leave Sunberth, though he still hoped to do some good while he was here and not just get by blindly as some did. By now the two had made their way outside, and Moritz was following Caspians lead as he moved about and pointed.

"I'm hoping to buy a decent parcel of land, at least an acre, not just a tiny bit of it. Though that may require going further out, or to less desirable places... So it does not seem like that area would be the best... I also would not mind rocky or mountainous areas, I grew up in Lhavit after all atop a mountain. Nor do I mind ghosts, I'm fine with them... But my main need is just a open spot of land without anyone living there, were I can have a place built... For now it would just be a house... Ah and also a training hall for practicing fighting. It certainly beats using a random field or such dangerous places. Maybe a kitchen... But that can be settled when I have the place built, for now the main need is the land."

Thinking over what the man had said Moritz shrugged again, before turning and meeting his eyes.

"Feel free to lead the way, and I will follow. I'm not really sure what would best fit my needs, but I'm not in a huge hurry. Though I would like to find it sooner rather than later... The sooner I find some land and build a place on it, the better, but that is more regarding some... Other, considerations. And its not horrible if it takes me a bit to work it all out."

WC: 867
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Caspian on March 18th, 2023, 9:11 pm

x

“If I had a house I’d turn an entire floor into one long walk-in closet,” Caspian says with a dreamy sigh. “No, definitely don’t run around barefoot here. I knew a girl once who stepped on a rusty nail. She was one leg less and on crutches that same season. Gods, don’t know what became of her after that. Then there was this kid – Gods, what did we call him? Carroll? Crackle? There was this puddle of what should have been mud, but from what I remember was an odd sort of… green? Just a tinge, but enough to tell you there was something off about it, that it wasn’t just a dirt and water sluice. We were playing keep-away with an old doll, and he snatched it out of my arms and ran right across that mud. No idea what was in it, but that night his foot was gargantuan and swollen, and, ugh, leaking, and looked ready to pop at any moment. I don’t think he was able to keep the foot, though the medic tried. His mother went bankrupt on the doctor’s bills, and I don’t think the family bounced back after that.”

As he’s been talking, they’ve been heading towards the west, pausing only for the occasional children at play, hollering and scampering across their path.

He takes in Moritz’s comment about New Year’s. “Wait, today’s your birthday? How old are you?” It’s a matter of continuous curiosity for Caspian, and he glances over Moritz’s features avidly again, as if he might glean the answer for himself before the Kelvic provides it. “Happy birthday, pal. You ought to make a wish before the day is through.”

The clarification of what Moritz is looking for in terms of land surprises him. “An acre? Oh, you’re serious.” The details as to what Moritz wants to build on that land confirm that much intent. “In that case…”

They cross a bridge northward, the same he usually takes to see his stepfather, and the house in which he had grown up. An old hag with a crooked back and hood drawn over her lank hair shakes a tin cup at them, in which a coin rattles. He looks away, firmly guiding them out of range and further down the avenue. The sea is to the east, and he turns them that direction.

“All that sounds well and good, what you’d like to build for yourself,” Caspian reflects out loud. “I’m just thinking, though – it’s as you mentioned earlier. A lot of coin in this city could carry its own problems. And if you were to construct such a home, which wouldn’t be a small one – are you worried it might be a beacon of sorts, for the wrong crowd? They’ll know you have money, if you’re building from scratch, and if you’re building so much. You might need your own guards, to keep from being ransacked. That’s feasible, though. Plenty of mercenaries around here who will look out for you. As long as you keep them paid.”

x
Caspian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Moritz Craven on March 19th, 2023, 2:05 am

Walking along with Caspian Moritz to the mans thoughts, once more finding he had trouble understanding him despite both of them speaking common. He was unsure why anyone would need an entire room for clothing, let alone an entire floor of a house... Though he had to admit his own wardrobe was somewhat limited... Still, how could a single person fill an entire room with clothes, or more? He was unsure if that was a joke the man was making, or an actual thing, but he certainly had not seen such before.

"A closet floor? Right... And no, as I said I was not planning to run around outside bare foot, that was kind of the point I was making. I did it in other places, like Lhavit or Syka, but it didn't take more than a chime here to see I could not do it here. I may have tough feet, but not tough enough to go shoe less here."

He was unsure why Caspian went off on multiple stories explaining why he should wear shoes, particularly since his own statement had been to explain why he wore shoes despite not wanting to... But pushing that aside he moved on, trying to focus on more important things and not getting stuck on random bits of dark storytelling from the man.

"Yes, today is my birthday, I was born Spring 1st which is today... As for how old I am... Let me see... One... Two... Uh... Four. I'm four years old today."

Outwardly Moritz certainly looked older than that, and in human terms his human form certainly looked older than that, but chronologically that was his actual age. In some ways he was still quite young, and in others he was perhaps more mature than many humans he had met... With Moritz odd upbringing and inherent nature the Kelvic was an odd mix of both, both seeming older and younger depending on the moment.

At the mention of a wish though Moritz face turned sour, recalling a wish he had once had long ago... Which had led to a horrible dream that was true and not a dream, to him leaving his city, and quite a few other things he did not particularly want to see happen again. Or at least, in hindsight he felt it had been a wish turned odd that had resulted in it all.

"I don't know, I'm not sure if I want to risk making a wish... What if it comes true... I am somewhat certain I have made a wish before, only for it to come true, but not in the way I expected or intended... Somehow a wish gone wrong almost seems worse than just something going wrong..."

Taking the question seriously Moritz supposed his current wish all related to his new nature as a Arch mage, wanting to find a place to call home that he could infuse and help grow through his bond as said mage... He was unsure how that could go wrong, but he knew he had a knack for such things and could surely manage it.

"I think I prefer just making things happen, over making a wish, but I suppose I could make one..."

As they walked along Moritz eyes turned to a sudden sound, turning to see a person sitting by the path they were taking. For his part he checked on the sound for fear it might be dangerous, but turning back to Caspian he saw the man was pointedly avoiding the sight... He was unsure why exactly, but he was not one to take his eyes off a person just because they were sitting, and more than anything considered them a potential danger if he let down his guard over such a thing. With that in mind he did not stare, but nor did he ignore the person from his vision.

"Well, just because I had money to build a house, does not mean I still have it afterwards... And to be honest, it is less me that has the money, and more I can get the money if I need it... This place still connects to the Outpost after all."

Nothing Moritz said was untrue, but neither was it the entire truth. In truth he did have the money on him, but seeing as it was held inside of a magical item of a coin purse that could hold many a coin, which in and of itself was nested inside of another storage item in one of the charms on his wrist, he did not think anyone would find money on him if they did look.

"Considering the laws there, and since the place being built will likely also need supplies from there... It seems like it would be best to transfer coins while in the Outpost, since I can get the coins there and then make the payments for building stuff... I do know some people back in my former home... I mean not like I would pay someone all of it up front here before anything is built. That seems a good way to get robbed in another way. The Outpost at least has stuff in place to stop thieves and the like. Its not perfect, but it seems like it would be better than doing it all from here..."

Continuing to speak as he thought on it Moritz shrugged, knowing he could only do so much but knowing he did not want his Arch structure to be to start as a rotten shack... Plus, once the Arch structure was set up and awake, it could likely defend itself to a degree and if nothing else serve as a form of defense in certain cases.

"I suppose that is always possible. But just because it will be nice by Sunberth standards, does not mean it will be huge or truly fancy by anywhere else's standards... As for guards, I am not horrible at defending myself. And I think if I can get the place built, after a season or so I should have something worked out on the defense front... Though that involves... Lets call it some help from Lhavit... Though it won't likely be of much use for a season or so after the place is done. And who knows, maybe I can attract some nice ghosts to scare people off, just like my old place I grew up in at Lhavit."

WC: 1,072
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Caspian on March 20th, 2023, 10:06 pm

x

They’ve walked far enough now through the unaffiliated section of northeast Sunberth, that they can see slivers of Baroque Bay peeking through the gaps between homes. It’s tough, but he’s trying not to look too obviously northward. The streets he’ll usually take on his way to his stepfather’s come and go, and familiarity has him feeling drawn to them even though he isn’t looking. With each step he feels – more like himself, in a way, though that isn’t entirely accurate. More like a certain version of himself, one that’s sliding out of last night’s exhausting revelry and into the mantle of this new evening. It’s kind of… freeing. Younger versions of himself would be lazing around home now, catching a bell or two of sleep before sniffing a sizable bump of Winger to get himself through another long night. There was a time in his life where he seemed to primarily be awake only when the moon was out. He supposes he didn’t get very much done in those days, and though his present and considerably more responsible self might be considered a bit less fun – he doesn’t mind it. He’s been in this world for nearly three decades, and the body and mind, perhaps, have ways of naturally slowing down. He doesn’t know how to explain this to Moritz, that he likes this newfound mental peace, that he can see the positive results of moderating his vices. It’s just a guess, but – he doesn’t suppose Moritz can relate, exactly.

Because for being only four years old, the Kelvic is damn straight-laced and industrious.

That Moritz is only four years old makes itself very apparent when he appears to take Caspian’s glib mention of wishes to heart. Caspian schools his expression into one of strict neutrality as he listens. “I can’t say any of mine have ever come true,” he says, thinking of Rohka’s engagement ring pressed against his chest, “but perhaps that’s for the best.”

And it occurs to him, as it does very often, that he’s on his present path because Rohka isn’t with him. None of last night’s events, nor his current outing with Moritz would perhaps be happening if she had agreed to marry him. If she’d decided to come with him here, on that ship out of Zeltiva.

Where else will he find himself, without her by his side?

Moritz’s reply regarding his expectations for his house are easy to latch on to, to shunt the memories of Rohka away.

“Ghosts! You throw that word around awfully casually, buddy. I don’t think I’ve ever run into one. Well, once in Ravok, Rhysol took me and my –“ Could he ever pin a word on what Rohka was to him? “ – ah. I don’t know if they were ghosts, exactly. But they were very lively visions of this land in the past.”

He takes an alley that appears to be bringing them further north, but he knows better – it sharply turns east, grows irregular and narrow, and in the everlasting shade brings a kind of chill. There’s movement above them, but it’s just a woman pensively smoking a cigarette and peering down at them. A cat on the ledge beside her hisses, and she scratches it fondly between its ears.

Soon they emerge through dried grasses and from beneath rag-pinned clotheslines onto an avenue that runs somewhat parallel to the coast. The sun shines brightly on the water, vermillion and gold as it sets.

Between them, on the avenue, and the water itself is another strip of land.

He squints at the headstones in the distance, some clumped together, others in a shoddy attempt at even rows – at the cracked mausoleums where in childhood he would sometimes hide from his stepfather. But they were cold and dusty and dark, and everyone knew he would drag himself home eventually.

“Speaking of ghosts,” he says, nodding at the Dustbed. “What do you think of that?”

He’s just kidding, but. With Moritz, saying anything out loud and how it’ll be received by the Kelvic is a toss-up.

x
Caspian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Moritz Craven on March 22nd, 2023, 2:16 am

Walking about with Caspian, Moritz did his best to keep vigilant. Having given the man a lesson in combat himself he knew how basic his fighting skills were, and was not too hopeful he would be of much use in a real fight... Which more or less left things up to Moritz if they did get attacked. He was decent enough at fighting, and had his own ways of finding an edge, though he knew he still paled in comparison to other teachers and fighting partners he had back in Lhavit or Syka.

But then, he was fairly certain those people had been outliers, and most people in Sunberth did not have such skills. So even if he could not measure up to them, it did not mean he was useless. Plus he was constantly improving, and felt he was always getting closer and closer to their level while still being a ways off currently.

Of course with so much focus on the people and threats around them he was less focused on the path they were taking, though he did try to vaguely keep an awareness of where they were and where they were going if for nothing else so he could back track if needed or end up in the same place again if he wanted to... However if he had to choose one of them he felt it made more sense to focus on threats and let Caspian focus on navigating.

Shrugging Moritz kept looking about, keeping his eyes outward and moving, as he responded without meeting Caspian's gaze.

"Well, perhaps consider yourself lucky. As I said... They don't always turn out so well... I suppose though it depends on who or what is fulfilling a wish... For instance if its someone not so nice or good, then the outcome likewise won't be... At least, that stands to reason to me regarding wishes."

Not putting all of his attention into the conversation, focused instead on their surroundings, Moritz did not notice Caspian guiding their conversation elsewhere. As always he was quite wound up in Sunberth, and found himself feeling truly safe and secure in so few places... Which was one of the reasons he was so eager to make a new Arch structure, since having a sentient structure to back him up would likely help with that...

"You've never seen a ghost? I think I knew more ghosts by the time I was a year old than I did people. My house was full of them. And I... Think I had a... Maybe he was an uncle? Someone who was a ghost... Though its a bit fuzzy. He seemed to like me, and my mother, but I'm not sure if he was actually related or not. But definitely a ghost. The tricky ones in some ways are the ones who don't realize they are dead... Though in other ways, the ones who are clear headed and know all to well they are dead are even trickier..."

The topic coming up, Moritz tried to recall who the man had been, a strong ghost if nothing else... But at the moment the memory was not clear and he was not entirely sure who the ghost had been other than being close to his mother.

Eventually Caspians guiding steps took them closer to the coast and further from the press of people, and into nicer open places which reminded Moritz once more of something he could not place or put a name to. Though he was unsure if he was imagining this, or perhaps it was a memory of a memory or a dream of a dream.

Being a Craven if nothing else Moritz knows a cemetery when he sees one, though he has to admit he's a bit surprised one actually exists here. Someone cared for the dead, but most of the living he had seen did not which left him wondering who did...

"What, the cemetery? Seems nice enough, particularly for Sunberth. Who among the living cares so much for the dead though? I don't think any of the ones I have met so far seem to fit that... I might like to meet them."

Twitching his nose Moritz looked about, feeling something on the air but not truly feeling the air... It was vague, but he felt... Maybe something... Though he could not tell for certain if it was a ghost or not, his spiritist senses not being quite fine enough for it...

"Seems like there would be some ghosts about, but I'm not totally sure... Kind of hard to tell, and I haven't learned the full knack like my mother did. I'm sure if she was here, she could tell right away if they were or were not... Plus, I'm a bit out of practice... Why do you ask?"

Growing up raised by a sentient house filled with ghosts, along with a sometimes there Spiritist of the Craven house Moritz idea of normal was perhaps a bit off, and seeing a cemetery for him was perhaps more similar to how some people would feel about a park. Perhaps a place to go for a walk, or to see as a backdrop, but normal enough if in this case a bit run down... But based on where it was, Sunberth, still pretty decent.

WC: 886
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Caspian on March 22nd, 2023, 11:52 pm

x

As they continue speaking of ghosts, Caspian mulls it over. “Okay. I don’t know. I suppose I did have a few… highly unusual experiences when I was a kid. A little kid. Not here, in – “ He pauses. He’d almost said Avanthal. It’s not that he thinks that Moritz would necessarily seek the bounty on Vantha heads, nor does he fear the Kelvic running to – well, someone unpleasant, and revealing the secret of his Vantha heritage. Not intentionally. But he can picture, as he’s just witnessed now and many times before, how the young man has a very Kelvic habit of saying exactly what’s on his mind, and at a volume that’s readily audible by anyone within earshot.

But the memory flitting across his mind – Avanthal’s hills and valleys white with snow. Bark chipping off trees in the midnight air. And something, far off in the distance, upright like a man, but wavering in its progression across the tundra. Despite the fire roaring at his back, a chill had run down a seven-year-old Caspian’s spine. The next morning he’d wandered out onto the tundra, drawn to the place he had seen the figure. No one roamed about alone at night, even the most seasoned of warriors. He had thought it a curious thing. But when he got there, it became even curiouser: there wasn’t a footprint to be found. Even if he wasn’t treading upon the exact spot the figure had, the prints still would have been obvious. No snow had fallen the previous night, nor this morning, nor were there any wild gusts of wind that might have churned the landscape.

Though, that morning, the facts of the matter were that he didn’t see a thing – that was the eeriest part of all.

And none of the gossiping aunties at Snowsong Hold, who saw all, nor his father had any knowledge of anyone who had left the Hold alone the previous night.

Remembering the way his father had suddenly gone quiet at the conclusion of the story has the present-day Caspian shuddering lightly now.

“Regular people have mice or lice in their house, you know,” Caspian says teasingly, attempting to breeze through his own apprehension.

As they amble towards the cemetery, Caspian announces with a grand wave of his arm, “Well, plenty of land here for your purposes. And – how many gravestones are there, do you think? You’ll have so many wonderful neighbors! Any lots in particular here look workable to you?”

He’s been joking, and rather relaxedly strolling, but now -

He shoots a glance at Moritz.

Could the Kelvic actually be considering sticking his house among the halls of the dead?

“Oh Moritz,” he says, following the Kelvic’s gaze out over the terrain, watching the gears turn in his head. “Oh dearest Gods. Are you absolutely positively certain you don’t want to go on with the rest of us, and by that I mean the living? Look, just west of us, there’s still some unaffiliated parts of town!”

x
Caspian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Next