Completed Suite Expectations Pt. 2

Tazrae reflects on the new reality of her life and plans The Protea Expansion.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Suite Expectations Pt. 2

Postby Tazrae on November 29th, 2022, 6:52 pm

Timestamp: 60th of Fall, 522 A.V.

It was Jaelis, in fact, who leaned close and raised an eyebrow when Tazrae had explained she wanted to expand The Protea and keep growing the business. The pair were at Garden Beach, lounging under the palapa, with parchment spread out on a small portable writing table in front of the cushions. Ixams lounged around, mostly asleep. While birds fluttered here and there, some after the insects that scampered around or plucked at the lush vegetation at the edge of the beach in search of seeds.

“Expand how, Tazrae? Don’t you already cook and clean enough having six room rentals?” The white-haired Kelvic asked, surprise on his face. Jaelis looked over her parchment sketch of the outline of The Protea’s outer walls. He half expected to see six more identical rooms sketched in the outline, but so far there were no more charcoal marks.

Taz took a slow breath, looked thoughtful for a moment, and then studied him as if trying to understand what he meant or how she was going to explain something a little difficult for her to vocalize. But she recognized too that Jaelis had come from Falyndar. The Moon Eagle was as much a part of the jungle as she was, more so in fact. He was from here, born and bred, while she had traveled and knew different people wanted different things. Born in Eyktol, raised in Riverfall and having only been in Syka a few years, Tazrae had more experience with society and its tiers of wealth than Jaelis did. Sometimes society demanded a lot… and Taz wanted Syka accommodating to even the upper class of Mizahar. She’d spent a year living emotionlessly in posh elegance waited on by servants. It had, despite the way she fought it, influenced her perception.

“I want to expand the Inn, yes, but not like you think. I’m not going to double the capacity of rooms for example by putting the same layout upstairs. Instead, I’m going to expand what we offer and make it higher end. I want to take the roof off, build up one more floor, and add three suites to the second story. Multiple people can stay in the suites, but they will have more space, a more luxurious experience, and it can cater to those that have more money and aren’t staying in Syka permanently but are just vacationing here.” She said, quickly sketching out the dimensions of the Protea as it was now… its basic footprint with the decking included. The upper story would be the same, with the decks the same footprint as the decks beneath.

Jaelis tilted his head, pursed his lips, and thought it over. He nodded, but Taz didn’t quite believe he was one board. The Kelvic Moon Eagle had no say in what she did, but they were friends and had been for a few seasons. In getting to know him, she had learned a few things about him… and one of his traits was that he picked his battles thoroughly. This, evidently, wasn’t a battle he was willing to fight. Instead, he joined in the planning, leaning over and picking up a few fallen leaves. He stripped the leaf part off, leaving just the spine of the leaves, and began laying the spines across the drawing – making clever temporary lines. “Something like this?” He asked, dividing the space neatly and logically in three equal parts.
"A mark of an open mind is being more committed to your curiosity than your conviction.
The goal of learning is not to shield old views against new facts, but to revise old views with new facts.
Ideas are possibilities to explore, not certainties to defend."

Garden Beach Syka The Protea Inn

"Listen to the wind, it talks. Listen to the silence, it speaks. Listen to your heart, it knows."
Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Words: 1916653
Joined roleplay: May 3rd, 2020, 2:02 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syka Seasonal Challenge (1)

Suite Expectations Pt. 2

Postby Tazrae on May 14th, 2023, 11:18 pm

Taz studied his work thoughtfully. “That’s definitely a start. But I think we have to mind where the support walls are downstairs and set the suites above where the beams cross below. Randal warned me about this when it came time to plan this. There’s walls that are important in building - load bearing walls – and some that just divide space.” The Innkeeper explained, then gently rearranged his little dividing sticks to indicate where those walls were.

“Is that even possible? I mean a second story is heavy… building wise isn’t this something you have to plan for when you originally built the Inn?” Jaelis asked, giving himself a little shake much like a bird would that was fluffing and settling its feathers.

Taz nodded. “We almost made it two stories when I first designed it. But Randal talked me out of it because we had such few visitors and the loan would be double what it was… without the planning. But the Inn has been full recently and its time to expand. Having a few luxury rooms adds to Syka’s credibility plus I have enough coin saved to pay outright for the work… without borrowing funds from Mathias.” Taz said, emphasizing how important it was to her to not owe anyone anything.

Jaelis studied the new layout and looked thoughtful. “That creates a small, midsized, then a very large suite.” He observed, indicating each one. The small suite would be above the short part of the L of the Protea’s shape. The midsized suite would be above the common gathering area and kitchen, while the large suite would be above the long part of the L over the four standard rooms below.

The Innkeeper nodded, then frowned as Jaelis was busy cutting out little shapes from the main bodies of the leaves he’d stripped off the stems. Taz couldn’t figure out what he was doing for the longest time. Watching him for a moment, Tazrae suddenly realized he was cutting out little shapes of furniture… a large bed, desk, couches, tables, etc. Then the two friends spent nearly a bell moving furniture around, planning, and plotting. They laughed more than once, but Taz realized suddenly that very few people in her life would have taken the time to help her like this. Once the closets were sketched in and the privies labeled, Taz finalized the drawing with charcoal adding in the furniture where Jaelis and her eventually decided would be the absolute best place for them. Then, they played with the beds and arrangements a little more before Taz committed them to charcoal.

“Thank you so much! This was so helpful.” Taz said, causing the Moon Eagle to grin wickedly, matching the grin she sent his way.

“It was fun. I rarely get to do human things.” He said softly. “I spend all my time doing eagle things, hunting and patrolling.” He explained, then leaned back, picking up one of the parchments and looking the building plans over. “Your Inn will be lovely when it is completely done. Will this be it for the building on it? I mean will it finally be done?” Jaelis asked.
"A mark of an open mind is being more committed to your curiosity than your conviction.
The goal of learning is not to shield old views against new facts, but to revise old views with new facts.

"Listen to the wind, it talks. Listen to the silence, it speaks. Listen to your heart, it knows."
Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Suite Expectations Pt. 2

Postby Tazrae on May 14th, 2023, 11:20 pm

Timestamp:

Taz nodded. “Absolutely. I can’t handle anything bigger alone.” She admitted. “Plus, by then it will be time to start my actual home.” She added, glancing behind her southward at the clearing in the jungle where she planned to build her dream house.

Jaelis studied her face a moment then nodded. “You are moving on… moving forward. That is good.” He added.

“What choice do I have?” Taz said suddenly. “I can’t wait for something that wasn’t meant to be. I can’t change people. I can’t control the actions of others. I can only control how I react to things. And moving forward is a reaction… a positive one.” She said softly. “Everything I’ve done in my life, I’ve done alone. This is no different. But I have others to think of now…. my children. Khari especially. I don’t know where Kaysen is, but I can make sure Khari has the best life. And she will never be lied to or the past hidden from her. I want to be what The Gods say I’m supposed to be here… a harbinger and a person to welcome the Benshira to somewhere besides the desert. It’s not only my babies either. It’s my sister… it’s my tribe.” She added, offering Jaelis a smile.

“I don’t have to fight ten battles. I don’t have to rid the world of evil or do all those things people seemed to think were important. I just need to be me here… thrive here. And I know I can do that. Expanding the Inn is everything. Supporting Kami is everything. I don’t know if it makes sense.” Taz said, but she knew what she knew and her conviction ran deep.

Jaelis nodded. “It makes sense. Besides, projects here will help ground you. Worrying about building things, growing a business… it’s not life or death battle. It’s more human everyday life.” He added, gesturing towards The Protea. “Besides, you need to start a garden too. You trade for too many vegetables you should be growing on your own. Here, on Garden Beach, would be a good place. There’s fertile soil, lots of land, and if you clear enough for trees, your garden will thrive.” Jaelis said suddenly.

Taz thought it was odd coming from a predator Kelvic, but she only nodded. “I hadn’t had time for that before now. If I knew anything about gardening, I would do it.” She added, looking thoughtful. Her own vegetables and crops would be good. A lot of people around Syka grew food. Many more foraged for already growing food and harvested meat on a regular basis. Jaelis had a solid idea, one she smiled and nodded to him about it. “I’ll do it. It’s a good idea.” She said, knowing it would give her yet another thing to focus on rather than let the events of the past season overcome her.

“What now? This is a drawing, but how do you make it a reality?” Jaelis asked, curious, not knowing much about building or how one went about making improvements.

Taz looked thoughtful. “Randal built the original Inn, but he claims he’s retired from building now. All he’s doing is running the surf shop and surfing. I think we need to go talk to Standing Tall. Sorian over there is building everything these days.” She said, freezing suddenly. It was so real… this next step. If she went to Standing Tall, then she was moving forward. Since Kami had Khari until late in the afternoon, Taz still had time to visit the builders. “They can turn my drawing into blueprints and start the job. Besides, I need to know how much this is going to cost me. I might not even be able to afford it.” Taz said thoughtfully, then blinked as Jaelis rose, reached down and grabbed her hand. With a gentle yank, the Kelvic had Taz on her feet.

Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Suite Expectations Pt. 2

Postby Tazrae on May 14th, 2023, 11:23 pm

“Then let’s go ask them.” He said, gathering up the drawings.

Taz said little on the walk north. She said little when Jaelis took them up to the lovely building that showcased the building materials that Syka had to offer. She didn’t even open her mouth when Jaelis handed the plans to the big Drykas that sat behind a desk on the second floor. One of the workers below had pointed to the stairs and given basic directions to Sorian’s desk when Jaelis had asked.

She didn’t even say anything when Jaelis spread open the plans, showed them to Sorian, and explained what Tazrae wanted. Sorian took the plans seriously, looking them over and studying the drawings.

He immediately took out a piece of parchment, began making a list, and added copious notes to the drawing that included dimensions, materials, and marks that Taz couldn’t decipher. “The Protea has a wooden roof with thatched patio covers. We going to reuse the current roof on the second story and leave the upper story balconies open?” He asked, knowing that would take modification as well.

Taz finally spoke then, looking thoughtful. “I’d like the second story balconies thatched like the ground floor. I’m assuming we can reuse the ground floor covers for the balconies and the floor of the balconies will become the roofing of the first story.” She said thoughtfully.

Sorian nodded. “That cuts the cost way back too on the decking and balcony portions. Now, for us to remove the roof, put a second story up, and build all the details in these rooms, its going to take a full season. Can you afford to close the Inn for an entire season?” The builder asked, curious about what Tazrae’s thought was on that process.

Taz nodded. “I know that we are going to have to close for a period. I’m fine with that. I can do some light cooking on the beach, but honestly, I’m looking forward to an expansion. Syka needs it now. And honestly, if we can do it late Fall and finish it up in the Winterer… then we will have the best weather for removing the roof. I want to protect the furnishings I have and rain everyday like it is this season is hard on seeing that through.” Taz said softly, glancing at Jaelis who nodded his agreement as well.

Sorian nodded. “That would fit our timeline too. Now… lets talk price.” He said, carefully listing the additions on parchment, adding calculations for wall and floor footage, and breaking down the general costs. “We have two suites with a walk-in closet, nice restroom, and some furniture thrown in. I take it you need the furniture you have in your drawing, correct?” Taz nodded. The builders would put in the furniture, no questions asked, or she could shop for it over at The Outpost and get more unique items. “That’s four master bedrooms, at around four hundred square feet. That will run you ten thousand gold mizas total. Then you need three living room areas that we could price at our elaborate cottage with all the furniture for a thousand gold apiece. This calculates at 1200 square foot of balcony divided between the three suites… that will run you twelve hundred gold mizas. We’ll need the support for the four hundred and forty square feet of second story… that runs a gold miza a square foot. Total for that is four thousand four hundred gold mizas. The cottage prizes include the fireplaces, hearths, couches, end tables and decent furniture all around. You can pick what you want for each suite. Most of us make it here from hardwoods. We’d need eighteen thousand six hundred gold Mizas for the whole thing. We’d take half down now and half when completed. We can contract to get it done by the end of Winter, this year.” He said thoughtfully.

Taz nodded. It was as expensive as she thought it would be, but it was nice that the furnishings were included. That gave her a break, and she wouldn’t have to pay the whole cost upfront nor would she have to deal with furniture though she could have a say in what the suites got furnished with. “That absolutely works for me.” She said, nodding at the list and at the diagram. She could focus on her Ranger Duties as the building was underway, taking a break from Innkeeping, and focusing on her young daughter. It worked all the way around.
Last edited by Tazrae on May 14th, 2023, 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Suite Expectations Pt. 2

Postby Tazrae on May 14th, 2023, 11:24 pm

Sorian nodded, reached into a drawer of his desk, and pulled out a few pages. They were building contracts. He took the time to fill in the parameters they agreed on and then both Tazrae and Sorian signed them. She promised to deliver the down payment later that day – delivering almost ten thousand saved up mizas took some logistical thinking – and was shaking his hand a moment later.

Jaelis grinned at her as they started to take their leave. “That wasn’t too hard, was it?” He asked, proud that Tazrae was moving forward. As they made their way out, Sorian descended the stairs and looked around, gesturing around him.

“Tazrae, don’t forget you’ll need to pick out materials – stain colors, wood type, countertop stone, and even the type of plumbing you want – before we start work. Spend some time in here over the next few days and be sure to make a list of the things you like the best. We’ll try to accommodate your wishes in the build.” He said with a smile, then headed over to a table where two men were seated enjoying what looked like some of Stu’s homebrew. He took a seat and spread out Tazrae’s plans before them. The men leaned over eagerly, consulted the drawings, and started discussing the new project.

Taz glanced at Jaelis, and they both slipped out the front, headed back to The Protea where Taz could get started on preparation for the dinner crowd. “I’m glad that’s done. I’m glad that’s all figured out. Thanks, Jaelis.” She told the Kelvic, who only nodded in reply. “I mean it. I don’t think I would have taken that first step without some encouragement.” She added, pushing a curling lock of caramel hair out of her eyes.

The Moon Eagle smiled, and looked thoughtfully at The Innkeeper. He took a long time before he spoke, both the pair making their way southward along the Cobbled Path back towards Garden Beach. “You need projects. This will be a good one moving forward.” He said simply, not elaborating more and not making it more of a deal than it was. Taz was grateful for that. She didn’t need a big discussion about her mental health. She didn’t need the whole community involved in her recovery. She needed to be left alone to thrive, with something to keep her mind on and her focus narrowed. If she didn’t, things wouldn’t go so well and she’d fall back into a cycle. He was going to make sure that didn’t happen.

Words: 2964

Cost Breakdown :
  • 10,000 gm Elaborate Master Bedrooms + Extras
  • 1,200 gm Small Cottage Living Area - Elaborate
  • 3,000 gm | Balconies
  • 4,400 gm | Wood For Second Story
Total 18600 Plus Half Price Coupon = 9,300 GM

Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes