Location [Syliras Location] Traveler's Row

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Syliras Location] Traveler's Row

Postby Gossamer on June 15th, 2009, 6:52 pm

Services

Apartments

Daily Rates
- 1 sm per single room (simple)
- 10 sm per single room (elegant)
- 3 sm per double room
(bedroom/living area - simple)
- 30 sm per double room
(bedroom/living area - elegant)

While Syliras is set up for pampering its visitors, the city itself understands that most travelers do not have access to a tremendous amount of funds. Because of that, Traveler's Row exists for people who need temporary housing within the city. Well able to accommodate a huge number of people, Traveler's Row is a simple length of the city wall built on an incline that has been thickened on the inside to add furnished apartments. Each small room is numbered and contains either a single or double bed, a table with a chair, a hearth, and a chest. Visitors are encouraged to take one of the rooms available on Traveler's Row rather than camp outside the city gates. These rates are inexpensive because they are subsidized by the Syliran Knights who find it easier to protect visitors when they are all conveniently housed together. All rooms include a small hearth and access to public baths and stables. If one takes a room indefinitely, they get a twenty five percent discount on their rates seasonal rates.

To lease out an apartment, one simply needs to visit the 'office' of the Traveler's Row. It's an end apartment which has been converted into a desk and waiting area. Matilda Owens runs the desk most days. If she's not present when one enters, they can use the bell pull on the side of the wall which rings her apartment. She also tends to leave a tiny sign sitting on the desk reminding visitors of the desk hours or the time to expect her to return. Matilda is reported to be related to the Grandmaster via his Konti companion, because Matilda herself is obviously a Konti. Visitors are encouraged (via a neat little sign) to help themselves to the tea pot and the plate of cookies that are usually gracing a side table in front of the lounge visitors have access to wait upon. The Traveler's Row, while plain, is indeed one of the safest residences in Syliras. The Syliran Knights routinely patrol the street it resides on and discourages trouble.

ImageName: Matilda Owens
Race: Konti
DoB: Fall 14, 311 AV
PoB: Syliras, Sylira
Skills: Cooking 33, Observation 47, Persuasion 23, Rhetoric 38, Socialization 49
Additional Info: Matilda is an old Konti, living in her last few decades of life. Born in Syliras to a Konti and an unknown father - though he is rumored to be the Grandmaster who sought kinship with Matilda's mother. Now in her old age Matilda walks with a cane to support her ailing joints, it is the only sign of her age as Kontis seem to stay young and beautiful forever. She took up a career in the inn business. She started small, working as a clerk and housekeeper, until she built up a business of her own and named it Traveler's Row. She created this residence so wanders could have somewhere to call home, even for a short while, without being forced to stay in a loud and dingy inn.

Credit goes to Ashryn for the NPC write up.

This location is moderated by All Syliras Staff
Feel free to self moderator
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Re: [Syliras Location] Traveler's Row

Postby Syfec Morbus on August 11th, 2009, 12:14 am

Day 2 of Summer, 509 AV

Syfec strolled into the quaint apartment-turned-office of Traveler's Row, glad to finally have relief from the pounding heat of the mid day sun on his back. He had gleaned from various sources that this was the best apartment building around. With affordable prices, excellent security and decent rooms, this place had it all. One of the most endearing qualities of the building was it's inherent homey feel.

Immediately upon entering, Syfec knew that this was perfect for his needs; the only thing that was missing was someone to set up the deal with. After a few moments of searching, he found the bell to call the attendant. He pulled it, just a little to hard, and stepped back, examining the rest of the office. He was pleased to find a nice little stash of cookies and tea that were available to visitors. Taking a cookie, he munched as he waited for the attendant.
Syfec Morbus
Freelance Reimancer

Words: 13441
Joined roleplay: August 4th, 2009, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Gossamer on August 11th, 2009, 8:12 pm

Syfec

Matilda strolled in moments later, leaning heavily on her cane but looking rather young for all that she limped. It looked a great deal like her knee didn't actually bend at all at the joint, so she needed the support of the ivory cane to make her wandering easier. Matilda was 'aged' but like all the Konti it was hard to judge just how old she was. She had a grandmother's aura about her, but then again the youngest Konti girls could also have such a presence. She smiled warmly, the type of smile that didn't seem to prejudge, and picked up a thick book to set it on the counter as she strolled behind it and paused opposite of Syfec.

"Why hello there. Are you needing some accomidations? I have a whole list of available suites. If you'll tell me about your needs, we can see what we can find... and if you're here on other business, perhaps I can help with that as well."
She said, smiling, and gently reaching up to juggle the handle of the teapot to see if it needed refilling. It was sitting on a ceramic base that had a sort of gemstone worked into the center of the coaster that gave off a nice heat. It seemed still full enough to suit her needs so she didn't revill it but simply gave Syfec time to respond.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Syfec Morbus on August 12th, 2009, 12:08 am

Syfec couldn't help but let a smile spread across his face as the kind, old Konti made hobbled her way to the counter. Never before had he seen someone fit so well with their job; This Konti perfectly the homey feel created by the layout of the office. Upon reaching the desk, she open a book and greeted Syfec, "Why hello there. Are you needing some accommodations? I have a whole list of available suites. If you'll tell me about your needs, we can see what we can find... and if you're here on other business, perhaps I can help with that as well."

Syfec smiled and responded, "Well, I am here for accommodations, but I would like something more permanent that a few weeks. If possible, I would like to pay at least a season ahead. Also, while you were gone I took a look at the posted prices and I think a double room on the cheaper end of the spectrum would be perfect for my needs. If everything works out, I was also wondering what your policy is on altering the rooms. Since I would be living there for quite a while, I would like a make a few alterations and enhancements to the living quarters. Anyways, How much would a season cost me?"
Syfec Morbus
Freelance Reimancer

Character sheet

Postby Gossamer on August 13th, 2009, 8:47 am

SyfecI made some adjustments to the price list since we don't actually have weeks.

Matilda nodded, and looked thoughtful. "Normally a double suit costs right around 273 silver-rimmed miza a season... but I have a special deal for you. Come with me?" If Syfec would agree, Matilda would lead him out the office door and up the hill three doorways to a nice wooden door with the number plate 9 on it. Taking out a ring of keys, she'd carefully unlock the door and push it open.

The room revealed was once... nice. It was a double and definitely larger than most of the ground floor, but there was an immediate problem. The white-washed walls were stained with an unusual substance. It looked like a green ooze, perhaps dried visceral fluid from some sort of creature or another. "You asked about decorating.... we normally don't allow it unless someone purchases a long term lease. However, this room has some damage. New furniture is on its way - and shall be delivered in four days, but I have yet to finish the painting. I'll give you this room if you wouldn't mind cleaning and painting. I'll cut the price to 150 silver-rimmed mizas for this season. Next the price will be back to its normal state. But if your willing to paint, it will be a fine room and you can pick the coloring and decorate the way you'd like." She said, pausing to let him think it over.

The room itself was two rooms (hence the 'double'), one for sleeping and one for living. The living area had a broken table, two chairs, and a heart area. There was a couch in front of the fireplace, then a small arch that lead into the bedroom. The couch didn't seem damaged. Behind it sat a desk and chair. The bed through the doorway looked partially destroyed, though the big steamer trunk in front of it was intact. There was a wardrobe by the far wall.

Syfec could look around all he wanted, and Matlida herself gave him the impression she didn't much like painting so she was glad to give a discount. The only curious thing about the whole situation was how the room got destroyed in the first place. She didn't offer an explanation, nor was one readily apparent.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Syfec Morbus on August 14th, 2009, 6:24 pm

Syfec hesitantly followed the Konti up the stairs, curious about this 'special deal' that he was about to be offered. Then suddenly, as Matilda opened the door to apartment number 9, it all made sense. As he stepped into the room, surveying the broken furniture and the disgusting walls, Matilda made her case/offer.

The deal was pretty good, Syfec couldn't deny that, but was it worth it. After a few minutes of walking around the apartment completely and mulling it over, he came to a decision. "Alright. I'm not an expert painter or anything, but I would love to take the apartment. I suppose painting a wall doesn't take all the much skill, right? Should I just pay you right now?" He started fishing through his bag.
Last edited by Syfec Morbus on August 14th, 2009, 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syfec Morbus
Freelance Reimancer

Character sheet

Postby Gossamer on August 14th, 2009, 7:26 pm

Syfec

Matilda nodded. "If you've decided, of course. There's also whitewash that can be tinted... I believe I have several tints to choose from, brushes, and supplies downstairs if you need them so you don't actually have to pay for repairs yourself." If Syfec offered her the coin, she'd take it and hand him a set of keys from her other pocket. One was a set to the room itself. One was marked 'storage' for a closet within the office that kept the paint supplies. "Just drop the key off to me when your done fixing the place up. If you need anything else, let me know. I can send a runner into the market or to the masonry if its something large."

And with that, Syfec now stayed in one of the larger less expensive rooms on the ground floor. There were no holes in the walls, no leaks in the roof, and the place looked rather warm and homey... or would... after he got it cleaned out.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Syfec Morbus on August 14th, 2009, 7:48 pm

Syfec nodded, fishing out 15 gold rimmed Mizas from his pack. He handed them over to Matilda, "Wow, that sounds great. I'll get right on the painting. Thank you very much for all of your help!" He smiled, waved to the Konti, and made his way into the apartment, making plans for his imminent renovations.
Syfec Morbus
Freelance Reimancer

Character sheet

Postby Syfec Morbus on September 23rd, 2009, 11:53 pm

Timestamp: 1st Day of Fall

Syfec made his way down a few doors to the main office of Traveler's Row. His previous lease was over with, so he was her to renew it and hopeful get a place to stay for a little bit longer. He already knew how much it was and carried the Mizas in his pocket. When he popped into the office, Matilda was luckily already at her desk. Syfec approached her with a smile.

"Hey Matilda."
She replied with a warm smile, "Well hello there Syfec, what brings you back down here?"
"Lookin' to stay another season at the apartment. I hope that's okay with you." Syfec replied, praying for the transaction to go smoothly.
"Of course, though rent will be the same as everyone else this time." She warned.
Syfec smiled and place a cloth purse on the table. He then emptied it to reveal 27 Gold and 3 Silver Mizas. "273 Silver rimmed mizas, correct?"
Matilda swept the mizas down into a safe and nodded, "Yup, that's right. Anything else I can do for you?"
"Nope, that should about do it," Syfec responded, "I'll see ya later."

Matilda waved as Syfec exited and made his way back to his apartment.
Syfec Morbus
Freelance Reimancer

Character sheet

Postby Mella on February 3rd, 2010, 3:39 am

Season of Winter, Day 63, 509 AV

Mella had just entered the city earlier that day, and had spent most of it becoming used to her surroundings. Living inside a bustling city filled with humanity was disorienting compared to the peaceful forest Mella grew up in. So, she had familiarized herself with the smells, sounds, and sights of the city learning what was usual for the town. She did this so as to better know when something was amiss, and to prepare herself in case of an unexpected attack. Though unlikely in crowded areas, Mella tended to stick towards the shadows and you would never know when a bold thief or thug would make their move. Her cautiousness was useful that day for as she traveled the main causeways of the city, she committed them to memory also noting the smaller alleys that branched off the main roads. She would have to explore those another day for it was pertinent for her to know her current surroundings expertly. Perhaps one of the most important rules in surviving was to know your territory or more importantly the escape routes. You could never be sure when trouble would abound and so Mella spent the day exploring till the sky slowly turned dark prompting her to find an accommodation of some sort.

Though her cash reserve was not the finest and she could barely afford the cheapest lodgings for more than a couple seasons, Mella opted to stay in the Traveler’s Row. She would have camped outside of the city to save mizas, however it would have been an ordeal coming and going from the city everyday that she figured living inside the city would be for the best. So despite her qualms with sleeping in a ‘stone cage’, Mella entered the office automatically pulling her cloak hood lower over her face as she took in her surroundings.

It was a small, bare, but neat office. It appeared to once have been an apartment and the atmosphere was one of a professional calm. Mella walked cautiously to the desk, inhaling the air that was filled with the fragrance of cookies and tea. She had refrained from partaking in any refreshments weary of what might be lurking in the deceivingly harmless sugar clusters. Mella believed you could never be too careful living in the wilderness had taught her that. So with some apprehension, Mella tugged the bell pull that hung patiently its purpose in life to serve customers an ironic similarity to that of a Kelivic’s fate.

Matilda entered minutes later leaning on her cane that aided her travel. A Konti, Mella deduced the appearance a sign that even one such as her could recognize. She strolled to the desk and opened a rather large book flipping through several pages as if looking for something. Looking up at the cloaked woman before her, Matilda smiled invitingly and gestured for Mella to come closer. “Hello, my dear. What sort of accommodations may I procure for you?”

Mella who was regarding Matilda with a cautious curiosity only took a small step to the desk careful to keep her face in shadow. “I’m only in need of a small, simple room for the…rest of the season. Thereafter will depend on my…situation at the time.” She said clearing her throat often. The last time she had spoken was early that morning, and her voice was a bit rough, not to mention her social skills lacked any warmth or feeling.

Matilda however was unfazed as she was used to dealing with the odd recluse traveler every now and then, and answered readily with a smile, “I have just what you need. A small, single room that goes for 1 silver Miza a day. For tonight and the rest of the season, your total comes to 30 silver Miza’s.

Nodding, Mella extracted 3 precious Gold Mizas and handed them to Matilda. Matilda pocketed them and lead Mella to her room. The room was as promised, small and simple, yet it suited Mella’s needs perfectly. There was a window directly across from the door looking out onto the road, a single bed, a table and chair, a hearth, and a chest. It was all Mella needed, or wanted. She did not feel that unnecessary material things helped her survival if anything they only inhibited it, so unpacking her scant supplies, Mella settled into her residence that would serve for the winter.

Feeling a bit claustrophobic, Mella stripped and shifted into her animal form. Feeling more at peace in something familiar, she alighted onto the small bed and curled in a comfortable position. As sleep overcame her, she could not help but make plans on how to regain the small dip in her financial resources. With those thoughts, Mella drifted off into an uneasy dream-filled sleep that featured disappearing Mizas, stone cages, and crowded back-alley passage ways.
School work is at an enormous level. Will be taking off for the spring season, and will return for summer
Mella
Nature's Wild Cat

Words: 19654
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2010, 6:57 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Next