Location [Syliras Location] Traveler's Row

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Re: [Syliras Location] Traveler's Row

Postby Tomas on February 23rd, 2010, 5:40 am

Timestamp: 68th Day of Winter, 509AV

Tomas had been wandering around all day, taking in the sights, sounds, and smells of the new city. It smelled much different than Zeltiva, though there were some similarities. For one, both cities were located along the coast, though even the water smelled a bit different here. From his experience back home he knew he wasn't supposed to sleep in the streets, so following the guard from the gate's suggestion, he sought out Travelers Row.

After several hours of wandering around on the wrong side of the city he finally mustered the courage to ask for directions, and found his way here. Entering the office there was no one to be seen, and he began to think maybe this was the wrong place. He was just about to leave when Matilda happened to walk into the room.

"Hello there, you looking for a room." The old woman smiled at him, and had an inviting demeanor. Nervously, Tomas responded.

"Um, yes. I'm new here, and Melanie didn't come with me. I know I'm not supposed to sleep on the street, and they told me I could sleep here."

Matilda smiles at him and flips open a ledger. "Well they told you right. The guards don't like people sleeping on the streets. Any idea how long you might be staying?" Tomas shakes his head and the old woman nods, "That’s okay. You do have money, don't you? How about five days for now? That should get you time to figure out what you're going to do. It'll be five silver mizas."

Luckily for Tomas, during his travel with the merchants he'd learned all about Mizas and knew that one gold miza was worth 10 silver mizas, and also worth a hundred copper mizas. Even though 100 was a bigger number, it really wasn't that much if it was copper, but it would be a lot if it was gold. This lady wanted five silver mizas, but all Tomas had was gold ones. "Will this do? I only have gold mizas." He hands her a single gold miza.

Matilda smiles and nods her head, "That’s okay, I'll give you five silver mizas back, and if you need to stay a few more days you can use those. You're room is just down the road. Here, I'll show you." Matilda shows Tomas to his room then returns to the office, leaving him alone to figure out what to do.

The room was nothing like what he was used to, but he understood that his home in Zeltiva was much nicer than most people's. This would have to do for now. Stripping off his clothes and packs, he sets them in a corner then lies down on the bed. After a few seconds, he shifts into wolf form and curls up near the foot of the bed, then drifts off to sleep.
"Honest! I didn't know I was supposed to go in the bathroom. At home they always made me go outside!"
Tomas
Player

Words: 32648
Joined roleplay: February 21st, 2010, 6:02 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Benacer on February 26th, 2010, 2:44 am

60th day of Winter, 509 AV

Benacer had been looking for the Traveler's Row since he had stepped into the city, as suggested by one of the knights who guarded the main gates. He knew that finding shelter was the most important thing when arriving in a new place, and he wanted to make sure he had one as fast a possible. His pouch was quite heavy with gold rimmed mizas, and he could barely remember the last time he had so much money to spend. He was glad that he could afford to rent a room in the local inn, seeing that in the past he frequently had to sleep on the most inappropriate places. Albeit he had quite a lot of money for his own standards, he knew that it wouldn't last long either, he could afford a room, but he would go for the cheapest one, of course. He was not used to such luxuries after all, a cheap room was already good enough for him, anything would be better than camping outside or sleeping on the streets.

The door of the lodge opened, and Benacer stepped in. The lounge was quite warm, contrasting to the winter cold outside, it certainly was a very comfortable place. The smell of well-baked cookies had him realize that he was feeling quite hungry, as he had not eaten anything in that morning. Benacer spotted a pot filled with warm cookies that seemed to have just gotten out of the stove. His stomach gurgled just for thinking on eating one of those. He could not help it, he ended up eating a bunch before looking for the office. After walking a bit, he finally arrived at the office. There he found a desk and a bell, which he then pulled, waiting for someone to arrive.

A an old Konti lady entered the office a while later with a smile on her face, catching Benacer's curiosity for a brief moment. He had not seen that many Konti women before, and her features seemed quite remarkable to him, despite of her old age. She then turned to the lad. "Good morning! Are you looking for a place to stay?" Benacer smiled in response "Yes, yes. I am looking for a room. Nothing fancy, any cheap, simple one will do."

Matilda then sat on her chair behind the desk and grabbed a book. After looking at a few pages, she turned to Benacer "I have a simple room for 1 silver miza per day. For how long do you intend to stay?" Benacer thought for a chime. He had not previously planned on how long he would remain in Syliras. He knew, however, that he could always come back later and pay for a few more days. He was not sure if he would get to afford staying for long if he didn't find a way to get some mizas in Syliras. "Twenty days." That made it two gold rimmed mizas, which was not much for Benacer's current situation. He was not sure on how he would use his money in Syliras or whether he would find a job or not, so 20 days was fair enough. He did not want to rely on his momentary financial stability, for he did not know for how long it would last.

"That makes it 20 silver rimmed mizas," said Matilda. Benacer took two gold rimmed coins from his pouch and handed them to the old woman, who threw them into a small purse. She then gave him a key and pointed to the direction of his room.

Benacer opened the room and immediatelly shrugged off his heavy belongings on the floor. It felt good to have the feeling that he had somewhere to return to at the night. He quickly analyzed the room and found it much more pleasant than what he had expected for its price. After trying to organize his belongings around the room, and giving up on it, he just decided to leave the lodge to breath some fresh air outside.
Benacer
Player

Words: 11588
Joined roleplay: February 21st, 2010, 3:38 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Tomas on March 15th, 2010, 2:24 am

Timestamp: 1st Day of Spring, 510 AV

It was the first day of spring and he could already smell it in the air. He'd been staying here since he first arrived in Syliras, and didn't see that changing any time soon, so Tomas decided that rather than pay a few days at a time like he'd been doing, he'd pay off the entire season. It was a lot of mizas, but he knew by the time it was time to pay again he'd make that back again. He wasn't sure exactly how, but he had some idea of how he was going to make a living now.

Tomas walks into the office and is pleased to see Matilda already there. The first day of spring was probably a busy day for her, he assumed, since he'd learned that most people just pay off entire seasons like he way going to do. "Hi Matilda. I'm here to pay again." Matilda smiles back at him, "Another five days then?" Tomas shakes his head. "No. I think I'll be staying in Syliras. I want to pay off the entire season. All of spring."

Matilda raises her eyebrows at that one, then nods. "Alright then, dear. Thats ninety one days, so it will be ninety one silver mizas." Tomas digs around in his coin purse for a moment, then pulls out a few gold mizas. "No problem, here you go." "Thankyou dear. You have a good day now, and do try to keep out of trouble." Tomas grins and runs out the door. "I will!"
"Honest! I didn't know I was supposed to go in the bathroom. At home they always made me go outside!"
Tomas
Player

Words: 32648
Joined roleplay: February 21st, 2010, 6:02 am
Character sheet

Postby Marcus Delamurr on March 17th, 2010, 8:21 pm

Timestamp: 1st Day of Spring AV 510

Marcus finally located Traveller's Row after a few wrong turns. Despite living in an academy in Syliras he generally had no time for exploring and preferred to focus on his studies. But of course, all that was now behind him. He'd left his school and severed his ties with his family, he is now a man without any ties or commitments and is ready to turn that to his advanmtage. Walking over the pebbled road he approached the small office where he guessed he could lease out a room. He'd go for a small one for he was only planning on being there to sleep so it need not be as fancy as he was used to.

He opened the wooden door into the office only to find there was nobody there. Wondering what to do, he noticed a convenient bell pull to summon whoever it was in charge of the place. After pulling the bell pull he helped himself to a cookie as he waited patiently, wondering how long it would take before he could start searching for a teacher. He took a seat as he munched on the biscuit and took a seat waiting for the person on duty as he planned where he was going to go to next. He decided on asking the person on duty whether she knew a place to learn summoning. However, he was not hopeful for a mere tenement owner would most likely not even understand what summoning is let alone who could teach it to him. Instead, he decided to ask her if there was a nearby tavern, for there must be someone in this city who would know a summoner. If he couldn't find anything there he decided to venture to the Inner Sanctum for it was a known magecraft laboratory so someone must know something about summoning.
One of those boys someone's chopped the manparts off and turned into a Konti seer

- Gossamer
Marcus Delamurr
Player

Words: 8518
Joined roleplay: March 16th, 2010, 10:03 pm
Character sheet

Postby Gossamer on March 18th, 2010, 4:00 pm

Marcus

"I'll be there in a minute. Make it two minutes... I'm not as young as I used to be." The woman said, slipping out of a back room burdened by more cookies. She'd been baking that morning and the whole office smelled like fresh ginger and cinnamon dandies. She was konti, apparently older though she looked no more than thirty. But indeed she had an air of frailty and age about her, even if her face didn't show it.

"So, you be needing a room? I have several still open.... what sort were you looking for?" She asked, taking a deep breath and adverting her eyes for a moment as if she'd seen something unpleasant or something she didn't want to explore further when she gazed at him. He didn't get the impression that he himself was unpleasant, only like he was perhaps wearing something that bothered her.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Marcus Delamurr on March 18th, 2010, 6:28 pm

The smell of freshly baked cookies were lulling Marcus to sleep, so it was lucky the woman called out when she did or otherwise she would have the unpleasant job of waking Marcus up. Mentally berating himself for not keeping his concentration on the task at hand. As he saw the Konti enter the room he was struck by how young she looked considering she had just mentioned that she was not as spry as she was. Anyway, down to business he thought to himself as he broke into a grin. Its best to appear pleasant so she'll give me some information, I wouldn't want to appear rude to my landlady.

"Ah yes, firstly I must compliment you on your fantastic cooking, I never knew cookies could taste this good. Do you mind if I have another?" He asked hoping this wouldn't take long, he had places to be and things to do. Helping, himself to another cookie without waiting for an answer he said, "I was wondering if I could purchase a small room for a 2 weeks If you wouldn't mind. I don't plan to be staying in it long and will use it only to sleep so can it be the cheapest you have please?"

Pleased by the comment on her cooking she replied, "Feel free to take some of the cookies with you if you want. Cooking is one of the joys I have in life so it won't be long until I make another batch. But enough about my cooking, the room will come to fourteen silver rimmed mizas. Your room is a couple of doors to the left of here, look for the room number." She replied to Marcus, handing him a cookie as she did so.

Marcus took the offered cookie and put it into his pocket as he took out his wallet. He quickly took out one gold miza and four silver rimmed mizas to pay the woman. He would gladly pay that much just for some information so it was no real problem for him. As he placed the coins into the lady's hand he took the room key and turned to the door. As he did so he asked, "I was wondering if you knew where I could find some information in magic tutoring, in particular the summoning branch. You wouldn't happen to know anyone, would you?

Hearing the question, Matildas unpleasant feeling which she felt on seeing the man deepened. As she wondered what sort of a man would go looking for things like that she replied, "I don't know anyone directly but the The Undeniable Interests is nearby and is known to have some obscure texts on magic, and I've heard the owner practises some, so that's probably your best bet." Hearing what he wanted to hear, Marcus left without looking back.

Upon reaching his house, Marcus unlocked the door and entered, grimacing at the plainess of the room. At least I won't be here long he thought to himself as he quickly dropped his belongings on the bed and set off for The Undeniable Interests which his landlady had mentioned. As he set off he realised he hadn't even asked for the woman's name. Oh well, she's just there to steal my money anyway.
One of those boys someone's chopped the manparts off and turned into a Konti seer

- Gossamer
Marcus Delamurr
Player

Words: 8518
Joined roleplay: March 16th, 2010, 10:03 pm
Character sheet

Postby Eris on March 27th, 2010, 10:50 pm

26th Day of Spring, 510 AV
Eris had just arrived at the city and after seeing the clean, wide streets, she’d abandoned all hope of sleeping in the back of a shop or sneaking into a vacant house. This place was much more civilized than the little towns she was sued to traveling through. She’d asked a passerby where she could stay for the night she she’s recommended Traveler’s Row. Now, Eris stood in the small, neat office of the inn, ready to buy a room.

“What kind of room would you like, dear?” Matilda asked, smiling warmly.

“The cheapest one you have, madam. I’m not planning on staying long, so I’d like to book it for ten days or so,” Eris answered quietly.

“Ten days it is then,” the Konti woman nodded, accepting the one gold miza offered to her.

Eris pocketed her room key, thanked the woman and made her way upstairs. The room was almost bare with the exception of a bed, an old table, and a chest. Upon closer inspection, Eris also noticed a hearth in the corner. The room was fine to sleep in, but Eris didn’t much care for the stuffy air and claustrophobic space. She took one last look around the room and shut the door, heading outside.
Eris
...in solemn silence on a dull, dark dock...

Words: 171398
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2010, 1:55 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

[Syliras Location] Traveler's Row

Postby Ulric on June 5th, 2010, 2:00 pm

72 of Spring, 510 AV

Ulric strode into the office with the glazed eyes and vacant stare of a bumpkin who’d ventured into Syliras for the very first time. It was massive, to say the least – an observation underscored by the squat monstrosity of Stormhold Keep, whose sprawling towers and corridors could fit his village a hundred times over and still have room to spare. It made him feel pitifully small and insignificant. Which is exactly the case, Ulric thought as he rang the bell.

Matilda hobbled to the desk and peered up at him. “Good afternoon,” she said, “I assume you require accommodations?”

“Your assumption is correct,” Ulric replied. “I’m to stay in Syliras for the remainder of the spring, and perhaps the summer as well. I haven’t quite made up my mind.”

“Have a cookie, dear.” Matilda pushed the plate closer, and Ulric crammed one into his mouth, getting crumbs in his beard. He chewed ravenously, savoring his first civilized food in nearly a season. “We have many types of rooms at the Traveler’s Row,” Matilda continued. “Singles, doubles, parlors – all with their own hearths and access to the public baths.” Baths? Ulric was intrigued.

“Um, I’ll take the cheapest room,” he said. “As you might have noticed, I’m not used to living in the lap of luxury. It might go to my head.”

“A single, then,” Matilda nodded. “It’ll be one silver miza a day, so that’ll make nineteen until the end of the season, and another ninety-one for summer.”

Nineteen and ninety-one is one hundred and ten, Ulric tallied the numbers. Shyke, that’s cheap. I wonder how she affords to keep this place going? he wondered. Ulric hadn’t expected the price of lodging to be so low. It seemed a compelling reason to remain in Syliras for the summer, bolstering his reduced funds and preparing for a journey to the west.

“I’ll take it,” Ulric loosened the strings of his purse and counted out eleven gold-rimmed mizas. “Is it all right if I pay you in advance for summer?”

“Of course,” Matilda took the money and handed him a key with a number etched into the tarnished brass. “Have a pleasant stay, dear!” Ulric left the office, swiping another cookie, and went in search of his room. It was a simple affair – bed, table, chair, and chest – but it seemed like paradise after the trials he’d endured in the wildlands. Ah, home sweet home. I hope there aren’t any bedbugs.
Ulric
The Warrior-Poet

Words: 629666
Joined roleplay: May 20th, 2010, 5:51 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Akiva Korvashi on June 19th, 2010, 11:02 pm

1st Day of Summer 510 AV

Akiva walked into the office at the end of traveler's row. It looked to be just another apartment, converted into an office. Looking around she saw the usual waiting room and office décor. At the desk sat a Konti, who was looking down to some papers on the desk. She looked up when Akiva entered the room.

"Hello. My name is Matilda, how can I help you today?" she said in a friendly manner.

"I'm looking for a room for two people for... ten nights. Nothing fancy, just a place to stay. Do you think you have anything?" She said, almost eagerly.

"We have a few rooms like that," Matilda said with a smile. "I think any of them would please you."

"Oh good, how much will that be?" Akiva asked, digging some mizas out of her backpack.

"For ten nights that'll come up to three gold rimmed mizas," she said.

Akiva looked surprised. "Just three mizas?" she asked, pulling a handful out of her pack and handing three of them to Matilda.

In exchange, Matilda handed her a small brass key. "Your apartment number will be 14, if you have any problems let me know. Just drop the key off with me when you're done with the room, and if you need more time let me know." She smiled at Akiva again, putting the mizas away now.

"Thank you so much, miss," she said, and walked out of the office to find her companion.
Akiva Korvashi
Hunter in the flesh

Words: 89178
Joined roleplay: June 15th, 2010, 10:14 pm
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Ben Traven on August 10th, 2010, 4:31 pm

68th summer,510

Ben finally found his way to travellers row and felt sort of pleased with himself he looked around out side and found his was a safe place to be with the constant patrol. Ben entered the office he knew instantly this place would fulfil his needs or the time being. Ben thought to do some maths before he actually rents anything when Ben was done it came to 27Gold and 3Silver per season which to him wasn't bad and that was for a double room.

Ben walked over to the refreshments and took a cookie before going over to the Konti woman who seemed to be the one operating the office.

"Hello, my name is Matilda how can help you"

Ben thought Matilda was friendly so he didn't have to feel uneasy around her but for some reason he did and had no idea why.

"I took a quick look at the price list i will take a double room for a week"

"That would be 2 Gold and 1 Silver please"

Ben put his hand in his robe pocket and pulled out a small purse and began counting one,two,three and put the money on the desk in exchange for a brass key.

"your apartment number is 18 have a good stay when you a finished with the room drop the key off and f you want more time let me know". Ben smiled at Matilda and left the office to go to they grand bazzar to purchase some herbs.
"There are two types of knowledge in this land there's intellectual knowledge and there is damn right evil used for personal gain" Ben Traven
Ben Traven
Physician/Scholar

Words: 9552
Joined roleplay: July 22nd, 2010, 8:12 pm
Character sheet

PreviousNext