Cold Shoulder (Open)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Re: Cold Shoulder (Open)

Postby Nyahna Sasin on January 17th, 2010, 11:09 pm

Sasin raised an eyebrow as the pair came in sight. "Sspeak of the devil." He sighed inwardly, nodding to the girl as she winked at him. "Caiyha save us, boredom and cold does not go well together." He muttered. Almost as if in answer to his prayers, a seemingly dead man padded by on a horse. Seemingly.

The Dhani narrowed his eyes. He had seen dead bodies before, of any imaginable cause. And this.... this was wrong. In this body, the skin was pale, but not abnormally so. This "corpse" had none of the deathly pallor that indicated the stop of blood circulation. So unless this man had died sometimes in the last 20 seconds, he was faking.

Chuckling, Sasin stood up and dusted himself off. Looking up, he noticed the preacher and the girl walking over to the "corpse" cautiously.

"Gemmy, be careful, he's not dead."

Hm. This one either knew his corpses, or knew his magic. Not that it mattered. What happened next was all confusing. As far as he could tell, the "dead" man sat up, said something, then the preacher jumped over something, rolled, scooped up snow, and tossed it at the horse. Sasin was walking briskly towards them now, so intent on finding out just what happened he almost didn't notice a floating hand. "What the..." He thought, staring at the outline of a hand at his feet. He saw another hand floating up to the man on the horse.

Now completely confused, Sasin just stared at the man. How is that even possible?!
Nyahna Sasin
The snakepuppy assassin

Words: 164919
Joined roleplay: December 21st, 2009, 8:24 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Diem on January 21st, 2010, 7:55 pm

Diem quickly glanced from where he was to where Gemmy was and then returned his sight to the man on the horse. The chance the horse would charge him was a slim one at best. Most horses that reacted that way were trained for combat. In fact, most animals that reacted that way were used to fighting. Still he had distanced himself from Gemmy in hopes that on the off chance a counter attack came form either horse or man it would not accidentally hit her. It had worked, the horse had steered toward him. But the man, so seemingly intent on trying to do harm earlier, had stopped the horse. One of his arms was moving but the other was still limp. "The only fool here is the one who attempts to trick a town of thieves and cut-throats. It was as much for your safety as it was for others that I called you on it. Imagine, if instead of trying to rob you they simply slit your throat before reaching in your pockets just to make sure you were dead. Even if you had used magic, whatever it was, I doubt you would have made it without suffering some serious injury or another.

"What the..."

Diem looked to the side of the man on the horse and noticed a familiar face. It was the person Gemmy had winked at earlier. He had been lost in his own thoughts to take notice of him back then, so it seemed like the first time he was seeing him. The man was wearing all black, and jugging from the look of the clothes it was leather. He had piercing blue gray eyes and brown black hair. How he had seemed so unassuming previously Diem did not know. Diem thought for a moment about trying to See this man' as well, but he didn't think eh could manage it just yet. He also seemed to be a different kind. turning his back on this man would be a stupid mistake thought Diem. luckily he was near enough to the man on the horse that he could watch both of them at once. "Careful sir. This man is more dangerous then he appears."
Diem
Carpe Diem

Words: 28676
Joined roleplay: December 26th, 2009, 9:38 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Lebramme on January 23rd, 2010, 9:42 pm

What...a nuisance... The brief distraction that the onlooker had caused for Diem gave him enough time to reattach his right arm. "So you think you were doing me a favor? Throwing things at my horse to save my life, were you?" At this point, Lebramme didn't even care that his own plans for discovery had been foiled. At this point, Lebramme was just irked by Diem's "flawed logic". There is no way he could know what would have happened, no matter how he justifies it. His reasoning is vulgar, and his logic askew. It does not matter if he would have been right or wrong; this man is an insult to my own intelligence.

Bloodgait, facing his restraining force, calmed down at last. Stretching his arms, Lebramme dismounted, standing between Diem and the others. The black and red ribbons that hung from his belt whipped with the wind, which had calmed down for the moment, and then laid themselves out at random behind him on the ground.

"Listen," he said, making eye contact with him. Almost as tall as I am. Interesting.

"I think...we may have gotten off on the wrong footing." Imbecile.

"So...I was thinking, perhaps we could start anew." Oh, how I hate you.

Lebramme tugged at the leather fingers of his right glove, pulling it off. "After all, you do not know who I am, and I do not know who you are." As if I cared.

"And under better circumstances, perhaps we could even become...friends." Lebramme cracked a sincere grin, extending his bare hand for a handshake.

"Start over?"
Lebramme
Curiousity at its Finest

Words: 6978
Joined roleplay: January 12th, 2010, 12:42 am

Postby Liminal on January 24th, 2010, 2:14 am

"All right, that's ENOUGH!"

Gemmy was still standing where she'd been before, having watched the entire proceedings without making any sort of move. She'd been careful, however, and her sharp eyes had missed nothing.

"It's all fine and well to try and run each other over, or throw limbs at each other, or argue about who it is as what's doing the other a favor, but I can tell that ain't none of you from around here, and this ain't the setting for that kind of thing, if you take my meaning. You start making that kind of commotion at Slag Heap Fire, and there's gonna be a dozen people here ready to slit your throats for interrupting their relaxation. We got plenty of alleys, if'n you ain't satisfied yet, and that's really more where this sort of thing happens. People don't come to the Fire for trouble, but they'll be more than happy to end yours if you give 'em even half a reason."

Indeed, true to the girl's word, a half-dozen onlookers were either glaring at the group, or were standing and making ready to approach. Gemmy waved at one of the latter, a giant of a man with unkempt black hair and biceps the size of small trees. "I got this one under control for now, ain't nothing to bother with, Marcus. Though I ain't never gonna forget to thank you as for your concern." She winked at him, and the man raised his eyebrows but sat down again. It was apparent that this wasn't the first time they'd had this conversation.

"Anyhow, Justice Guy, Dead Guy, New Guy, if this is more or less settled, I'm Gemmy, for those of you as what I ain't introduced myself to yet, and I was giving J.G. here a tour of the local scenery, you might say." She jerked a thumb in Diem's direction. "And getting ready to eat. Whatever it is that you folks are gonna do is fine with me, but if anyone is gonna join me for a Pleasant Morning Repast, I'm gonna go do that now. Ain't meaning to be impolite or nothing, but I'm afraid my stomach ain't as much up on its manners as I am." She smiled cheerfully, and then looked questioningly to see if anyone was going to follow her.
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Words: 256313
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2009, 7:09 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Race: Staff account
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Diem on January 24th, 2010, 2:52 am

"So you think you were doing me a favor? Throwing things at my horse to save my life, were you?"

It was bad enough the man tried to deny any of what he did, but what made it worse was the way he tried to play it off as paranoia on Diem. Had Diem not Seen the magic at work he might have believed that perhaps eh had been mistaken. As it was there was no denying this man had intended some kind of harm towards him, or for that matter towards anyone. When the man spoke about what Diem had done to the horse he almost replied back that it was because of the strangers use of magic that he had done it. But then the man continued to talk. He spoke of starting a new, and as he took his glove off he pointed at that neither of them knew each other. Then he extended his hand, as offering of peace. All of Diem's sense screamed that this man was dangerous, that he was going to try something. But Diem ignored them. Even if he denied what he had done, the best resolution to this incident would be a peaceful one. Diem reached out to shake the strangers hand. "For the sake of peace then."

Diem jumped back in surprise, retracting his hand in the process. He had not forgotten about Gemmy, but with her off to the side and out of any danger, magical or otherwise, he had shifted all of his focus to the stranger on the horse.

"It's all fine and well to try and run each other over, or throw limbs at each other, or argue about who it is as what's doing the other a favor, but I can tell that ain't none of you from around here, and this ain't the setting for that kind of thing, if you take my meaning. You start making that kind of commotion at Slag Heap Fire, and there's gonna be a dozen people here ready to slit your throats for interrupting their relaxation. We got plenty of alleys, if'n you ain't satisfied yet, and that's really more where this sort of thing happens. People don't come to the Fire for trouble, but they'll be more than happy to end yours if you give 'em even half a reason."

She was right Diem noticed. A great deal of others had taken to glaring at those causing the commotion. Diem had thought they would be looking at the man with his horse more then anyone else, but they seemed to have divided their attention between the stranger and Diem equally. Diem had been yelling a lot, and he supposed throwing snow at a horse wasn't exactly the best way to avoid notice either. It still annoyed him that he had earned the same amount of ire form the local residents as the person who was at fault.

"Anyhow, Justice Guy, Dead Guy, New Guy, if this is more or less settled, I'm Gemmy, for those of you as what I ain't introduced myself to yet, and I was giving J.G. here a tour of the local scenery, you might say." She jerked a thumb in Diem's direction. "And getting ready to eat. Whatever it is that you folks are gonna do is fine with me, but if anyone is gonna join me for a Pleasant Morning Repast, I'm gonna go do that now. Ain't meaning to be impolite or nothing, but I'm afraid my stomach ain't as much up on its manners as I am."

"I apologize Gemmy for causing you so much trouble. Allow me to get the food ready to make up for it." Diem gave the stranger on the horse one last glance before turning to retrieve Spot where he had left her several feet back up the road. It seemed she held an indifference too the rest of the world and so had not even taken an interest in the events that had transpired. Diem took the rope that led her and, nodding to Gemmy to signal that he was following, began walking down the road toward the Fire once more. He almost didn't stop as he passed by the two strangers, but as ever he had to think about the example had wanted to set for others. Diem did stop though, far enough out of the mans reach to not worry about being attacked. "If your willing to keep things civil I have enough fish for all of us." Diem looked to the man Gemmy had dubbed 'New Guy' and said, "And you are also welcome to join us if you want."
Diem
Carpe Diem

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Lebramme on January 25th, 2010, 7:29 pm

Gemmy's interruption came at the worst of times, as far as Lebramme was concerned. And I was going to...damn that girl. He wasn't paying attention to the attention he and Diem were being paid. Until Gemmy spoke up, he and Diem were the only two people around for miles that mattered to him.

But the fact remained that the girl had probably saved them both from a major inconvenience. As Diem led his horse past him, he realized what he hated so much about him. It is in his words, in his mannerisms, everything about him...it is as if he thinks, no, knows that he is above me. Lebramme found himself recalling a memory of his childhood in the Sea of Grass, the other Drykas telling him how worthless he was for not being one of them.

"If you're willing to keep things civil I have enough fish for all of us."

Lebramme's head snapped to the side. Diem had stopped to address both him and another man. He had to fight the urge to jump at Diem, and drain him in the snow. It would take less than a minute. However, the girl's warning still rang clear in his mind. So instead of giving in to his desire to end the man's life right then and there, he let out a quiet, conserved "No." As he put his glove back on, he added "Perhaps some other time," his tone suggesting that he wasn't talking about eating fish together. He walked beside Bloodgait, and they slowly made their way into Sunberth, his ribbons leaving light tracks behind him.
Lebramme
Curiousity at its Finest

Words: 6978
Joined roleplay: January 12th, 2010, 12:42 am

Postby Nyahna Sasin on January 28th, 2010, 1:17 pm

Sasin grinned as he recovered from his shock, and saw that the onlookers were angry. He was rooting for a fight, hoping to get some action in.

He started yet again. It appeared that the girl had noticed the onlookers anger. Hmph. Ah well. No real loss. Nor did it seem like he was the only one disappointed. The not dead man seem very irritated as well.

"Justice Guy, Dead Guy, New Guy"

He snickered at her nickname for him. New guy indeed.

"I'll join you, then, if you don't mind."
He said. He was curious to know more about these two.

(Ugh. My brain is smushed.)
Nyahna Sasin
The snakepuppy assassin

Words: 164919
Joined roleplay: December 21st, 2009, 8:24 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Liminal on February 12th, 2010, 10:41 pm

OOC: Lebramme -- +1 XP Projection. Thanks for joining us!

Gemmy shrugged cheerfully at Diem. "Ain't no trouble, J.G. If'n you think that was trouble, all I can say is that Sunberth's got plenty of surprises for you. Anyways, I'm excited to see them fish, that's all I'm saying."

She looked off in the direction that Lebramme was departing. "Now see, Justice Guy, New Guy, at least you're willing to try and listen to a local guide. Dead Guy over there -- he's gonna be Actually Dead Guy if he keeps that up. Sunberth ain't no place for a lot of things, but it's 'specially no place for arrogance."

She straightened out her sleeves, and then kept walking. "I ain't had fish in ages. How 'bout you, New Guy? You a fish fan?"

The smell grew significantly worse the closer they got to the Fire. Gemmy seemed oblivious to it, as did the other Sunberthans gathered around it, but to anyone not accustomed to it, it was more than a little pungent. It smelled like a dog carcass soaked in tobacco juice and set on fire, or a flaming moldy sausage floating in a rusting spittoon.

There were some weathered benches that were empty and could be used. On the bright side, the winter chill became significantly less fierce by the fire; at close range, it was positively toasty.
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Words: 256313
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2009, 7:09 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Race: Staff account
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Diem on February 14th, 2010, 4:34 am

Diem was happy the new comer was willing to join them, and reveled in an equal yet more guilt ridden happiness the one Gemmy referred to as dead guy was not. Vigilance was an important part of being a servant of Priskil, but to do so all through out dinner and cooking would be tiring. Following Gemmy toward the fire and listening to her words, Diem quickly began to note the smell he had come across early in the day was growing stronger. It grew worse to the point where Diem wasn't sure he would actually be able to eat anything. Spot, the horse Diem lead behind him, actually went as far as grunting at the smell. That was the grandest reaction Diem had seen the horse make since he had bought her. To distract his mind Diem payed special attention to what Gemmy said. "Actually fishing is usually how I feed myself to save mizas for more important things." When they finally reached the spot Diem had chosen he breathed a sigh of relief. It hadn't been taken by anyone. "If you'll allow me to see to spot and set camp I'll have the food cooking it a matter of minutes." Diem politely gestured for them to sit on a nearby log that seemed to have been brought near the fire for that very purpose and with the practiced skill of an experienced traveler Diem proceeded to unpack his gear and set up his tent, feed and water spot, and start a small fire near the log which he pointed out earlier so he wouldn't have to eat fish that smelled and tasted like the large fire near them did. His tent had been set up between two buildings and his fire built a little ways off but directly in sight of it.

It had taken a total of six minutes and when he finished Diem proceeded to go through his pack of food in search of the fish he had wrapped. Having found them Diem began to cook them. Since he wasn't really a cook, the most Diem could manage was set the fish to hang over the fire with some wire and two sticks. Feeling like there was little else he could do near the small fire he had built, making sure to keep his tent within his sight Diem took a seat to the right of the log. "Now that dinner is cooking why don't we introduce ourselves. My name is Diem. I came to Sunberth in hopes of convincing some of its inhabitants to alter there ways. I have since learned, with some help of course, that I have been going about it in a wrong and possibly dangerous way."
Diem
Carpe Diem

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Aksia Carataqua on February 15th, 2010, 1:30 pm

"My name is Diem. I came to Sunberth in hopes of convincing some of its inhabitants to alter there ways. I have since learned, with some help of course, that I have been going about it in a wrong and possibly dangerous way." Aksia heard from above the trees, she'd found out that climbing trees was an amazingly awesome way to eavesdrop and the such on people. She'd been following them for a while, it seemed that the red haired man knew some sort of magic, the baldy had a mark on his head that looked suspiciously like a Gnosis mark, it was a luminous mark, that reminded her of bright light "Most definitely a Gnosis Mark.." she thought to herself, she stared at her own mark on her hand and smiled to herself. "The Justice Guy seems to have deluded dreams." she whispered quietly to herself.

As the smell of burning fish wafted up towards her, she grimaced. Maybe she'd get to join this small company, she was yearning for adventure anyways. She jumped from branch to branch, using her supreme sense of balance and flexibility and landed in front of the fire. "It sure is warm here." she said "Your plight sounds really delusional, but mind if I join in?" Aksia waved her marked hand in the air and smiled a calm, serene smile.
Last edited by Aksia Carataqua on March 3rd, 2010, 12:59 am, edited 5 times in total.
Aksia Carataqua
The Dancing Healer

Words: 21277
Joined roleplay: January 26th, 2010, 12:30 am
Race: Charoda
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

PreviousNext