[Ariel's Scrapbook] Ariel's School for Ants

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Ariel on April 22nd, 2011, 3:47 am

Warning, a venting session is underway:

I love Miz, I really really do. Otherwise, as you may have guessed, I would have left a long time ago, and deemed the site a waste of my time. Now, that didn't happen... obviously, because here I am. But lately, I have been getting really irritated about a few things.

The leveling system is an ingenious thing really. Kudos to whichever of our founding fathers, (and mothers), came up with it. The whole thing is designed to make sure we have checks and balances. It is designed to keep us from being unrealistic, and too good at everything, if that makes sense.

I really like that. I like to have fun, but if I'm playing a game, I want it to be realistic fun too.

Now, I know I have struggled with it in the past, but I always do my best to play to my levels. That's why we have levels. That is why we write about certain things... to practice writing first of all, and secondly for the story, and thirdly for the company and friends we make here... and of course, for the levels.

It seems to me, that the more that I rp here, the more and more I notice what some people would call "power players," or people who just don't rp to their skill set. For example, if you are a novice reimancer with wind, your pc isn't going to be able to blow my pc over with your magic, unless maybe, my pc is like 5 pounds, and has a bad leg or something. Period.

Another thing, if someone hits your pc with a chair, and it breaks on you, the LEAST that will happen to you is you get a nasty bruise, but you will more than likely stagger backwards, fall to the floor, and/or be knocked out. You are not going to walk out of that attack straight, and be ready to keep on fighting, period. I don't care if your pc is a body builder, or uses flux. That is simply common sense.

And another thing... if your pc is a novice in say flute, your pc is going to suck. No heart wrenching songs. The same for novice levels in painting- no masterpieces. Your work is going to have issues- whether that be in the mixing of your paints, or the proportions, shading, realism as the picture, I don't care, it's just not going to come out perfect.

Oh... this is my personal favorite. If we are fighting, and my pc has an expert level in a skill, and your pc has say... 10 pts in combat, or no points at all, unless my pc is seriously injured or lets you win, you will lose. Period.

A note to mages:

Magic is a give and take as I understand it. Each time you take something, you lose something. Each time something good happens, something bad happens too.

I have three pcs that use magic. One is a leech and reimancer. One is a spiritist and aurist. The other is just an aurist. They are pretty magic heavy pcs. Which is fine. You know magic is pretty cool. (Thank you Gossamer and Tarot).

Anyway... I digress.

Each time I rp magic, I have something bad happen to my pcs. I let them over-give, even if it is only a little bit. For example, whenever Cara uses reimancy, her heart rate tends to speed up, and her eyes get bloodshot. Sometimes she even hallucinates... and gets to be even more a-social than usual. Ariel tends to blink a lot when she uses auristics, which is something a pycon would not usually do. It is her way of getting tired. Sometimes she gets headaches... Aello is paranoid. She is also just plain certifiably crazy.

This is over-giving. That is what happens with magic, at least every once in a while.

I am sick of people with low-level magic skills or magic skills in general who use it for the majority of the thread, and don't write out over-giving at all. It is simply unrealistic, and just obnoxious. With everything you gain something, and you lose something. YOU NEED TO LOSE SOMETHING. Even if it is only temporary.

A note specifically to flux users: just because you use flux, doesn't mean you are superman. Especially if you are a novice. You are not going to be able to run up hills with 300+ pounds on your back, or jump extra high, or really far. You're not going to be able to throw five people off you...

A note to hypnotists: if you are going to use your skill on me, please describe how, and quit making me do your work for you.

About controlling my pcs:

I am the only one who can control my pc period. So if you want to pick Ariel up, at least ask. If we are fighting, you can't just stab my pc, or push her down. You can sure as hell try, but that doesn't mean you're going to be successful. You can't just make my pc pass out randomly either. You can't steal her things... you can't just break her arrows, or say that her wooden practice sword snapped in half.

The exception to this is modded threads, with a mod, when the mod temporarily takes over. I actually signed up for that, so the rest of you players, lay off.

The bottom line:

I do not enjoy when people do not play realistically. When your PC acts godly, or like a super-hero and has novice skills, I get a little pissy. You just don't have the experience to back that sort of behavior up, and it simply takes the fun out of the whole game.

I don't like posting in these situations, and suggest that unless you can learn to play to your levels, you leave me alone. Unless of course, you want to experience a slight sense of surprise when my pc tries to kill yours.

Grammar and Spelling:

And that reminds me.

This is not aim. Please spell out your words. Don't abbreviate "through" as "thru," or "for" as "4" or "to" for "2."

Lastly, you're is short for you are, and your refers to something belonging to another person.

Example: That is your cup of coffee.

I don't mean to sound so grouchy, but this is getting annoying. Period.

The lists:

Ariel:

-leave Endrykas
-modded Ganny thread
-Sama'el thread
-thread with Kayiri that is on its last legs

Cara:

-modded Chessies thread
-leave Avanthal
-bar thread needs grading
-work on animal husbandry

Blythe:

-finish up flashback with Gural
-work something out with Ser
-modded Alice threads
-figure out how to meet with Kams, Satu... and others
-find out what happened to Keyta
-work threads
-buy a katana
-train in katana
-find family members
-possibly apply for Stesha as an NPC (at least look into it)

Aello:

-modded threads with V
-don't die in the quest
-figure out how to incorporate ghost nails into a thread
-finish up the stuff with the dagger and Charlie
-auristics lesson?
-thread with Haddy
-flashbacks in Lhavit and Avanthal
-develop her relationship with Dira more, (prayers, etc)

Lesson 8: Ariel has OCD, and is a huge fan of proper grammar. Anything improper makes her angry. Seriously.
Last edited by Ariel on April 22nd, 2011, 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ariel
I'm NOT Short, I'm Fun-Sized!

Words: 181717
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2010, 9:27 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Gossamer on April 22nd, 2011, 6:14 am

I think you are finally to the point where you will make a stellar mod. Feel free to apply any time and you'll have my full approval and a recommendation from me personally.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Ariel on April 22nd, 2011, 1:37 pm

Thank you Gossamer that means a lot.

I think I will one day. I am just not sure I am ready right now. There are so many cities I like, and I just couldn't so much as begin to decide where to go.

They each have their own personalities... and players with separate life goals and needs...

There is just so much to think about.

So a new goal for me: be decisive for once in my life, and begin making life-altering choices for my pcs, as well as determine where I would like to mod one day, should I ever go in that direction.

Lesson 9: Expressing your feelings takes a load off your shoulders.

Geez... I already sound like a therapist.
Ariel

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Ariel on April 22nd, 2011, 10:34 pm

I guess you could say I am a little stuck. I have been like this for awhile now.

When I last applied to be a mod and got turned down, I figured I'd try again at the end of May. I hoped that by then my mind would have been made up. Because when I last applied, my heart was split between two cities. One that had always been my favorite place to rp in, and one that I felt had been neglected.

The two cities are the Spires, and Mura.

Mura is a city I have rped in excessively. Blythe is simply all over the boards, and I have even enjoyed a few modded threads with Alice and Yggdrasil. Mura was simply a safe-haven, a sort of home for my only nice pc. A shelter from the insanity of the outside world.

I guess you could say it is like Syliras, with more women and less rules. Syliras really does seem to have a lot of those.

Mura, is slightly more developed than the Spires. It is rped in more often, and has an amazing DS that always answers my questions and makes me feel welcome there.

The thing is... it's just that. Slightly more developed.

Of all the things I could think of the Island really needing, I come up with only a few: there are a few people mentioned in the write up for the Opal Temple. More than likely teachers, that I would love to develop. The other thing we could really use is a blacksmith/weaponsmith, because we are without one as of now.

The Spires... well, I have loads of ideas for that. From possible quests, to new locations, and write-ups for the people mentioned in the current locations... the list goes on and on.

There is simply so much to work on, and the city simply has so much potential.

The drawback is that the city is also pretty quiet, and not to many people play Jamoura. I think I know of two, and another who is a nuit with a Jamoura for his current body.

Now back to Mura: As I said, I rp there excessively, which means, that I won't be able to grade the majority of the threads simply because I am so involved. I don't have this problem in the Spires.

This makes me wonder how effective I will be there. Or rather, just how helpful.

As someone who rps there a lot, I understand the Konti culture and the locations within the city far better than I would if I hung out in the Spires. That is simply common sense, my own experience here.

And yet... this can also be a bad thing, at least for me and my skill set. I don't want to simplify the lovely city of Mura, but the culture is very peaceful, and generally laid back. A lot of the threads there involve your average meet and greet, medicine, fortune telling, and of course, the suvai.

I understand the suvai in the sense that it is a weapon made of whale bone. But if someone asked me to help their pc learn that in a modded thread, I am not so sure what I would do. Weapons such as that, (small things like daggers), were never a particularly strong suit of mine. Medicine for me, is also a disaster. I just don't get it, and my pcs often panic in these situations. Of course, I could read about it so I could better understand.

I have tried, but it is just not my thing, and I feel like if asked, I'd just run around like a chicken with its head cut off, wondering what the heck I am supposed to do.

Fortune telling, I get. Evidence: BLYTHE.

But Blythe works as a fortune teller. I put off all her work threads simply because I have used the skill so excessively. In all honesty, I think I may have burnt myself out.

And as you may or may not already know, I plan to finally move Blythe come next season, once she has received a paycheck and can actually afford to go places, and is no longer in danger of losing her house.

Finally, it looks like Blythe will become something other than "the only normal Konti," "my nice pc," the little fortune teller from Mura. Finally, a new chapter in the Konti's life is opening... and even I don't know what it is going to be like, or just where she is going. I am caught up in a few places, a few ideas of where she could go, and what she would do.

And even though she hasn't left yet, I feel like she has made that first step; away. She is looking over her shoulder, wondering if she is really going to do this. Looking at all she is leaving behind; and already, she feels a million miles away.

I don't know if anyone else is like this, but I tend to take on my pc's feelings at times, and I wonder, if she is starting to feel like that... even in the slightest, when am I going to start feeling like that too?

Maybe it is time for each of us to move on, away from that Island.

It makes me sad... but... maybe it's time. Maybe the change will be good.

I wouldn't want to mod, and then neglect the city. That would simply suck, and be unfair.

But enough about my first two loves... and more about the other two that have wedged their way into my heart. The lovely city of ice; Avanthal, and Rhysol's realm; Ravok.

I have rped in each of these cities. Ravok longer than Avanthal, and I get them. Not as much as Mura... but I do get them.

When I think of these cities, and what they could use, I realize that the first thing that comes to mind is that they have recently had an influx of pcs. The mods are more than likely feeling a little overwhelmed, and would probably appreciate a little help with things such as grading. When I move past this, I realize that these cities are already pretty well developed. Which leaves the question: so what the hell would you work on there?

For Ravok... I know they have an Ebonstryfe run school. I think I'd like writing out a few teachers for each of the subjects. I'd also like to develop the people who have been written up for the stryfe, (NPC wise), and just try to make their presence slightly more known... as opposed to something that you know is there, but not where... if that makes sense.

As for Avanthal, well... I'd like to see a write-up for the Icewatch, but I know Chesh is working on that. I'd like to work on Ice-Reaving, but know that is the sort of thing the founders work on. Perhaps then, another inn for people from the outside... maybe an archery range or something. I don't really know.

I am sure I could think of something if I simply sat and told myself to imagine what the two cities could become, but I am strangely blank right now.

Stuck.

I know I don't have to figure this all out now, or apply today, but I want to start making decisions. I have always been indecisive, and feel like if I don't start at least thinking about this again, nothing is ever going to happen.

I don't know...

I'm good at writing descriptions of things, setting mainly. Good with bows, (other than crossbows, I simply hate those things). I am ok with magic, I suppose. I suck at writing about medicine, combat involving knives or swords.

I just wish I knew where I'd come in most handy. What fits best with my personality, and my skill set. (If I could call it that).

I feel like personality changes so much. Like you have a core... one feeling or over-riding concept or aspect of yourself, and the rest always changes. Leaving you confused about everything; just who you are. I know that each of these cities has its own personality. Ravok is dark and mysterious. Mura is calm, light. Avanthal is cold... yet it has a playful side. The Spires is peaceful, it seems somewhat traditional too... as though it is unwilling to stray from its ways... how things normally run there.

I know that there is a part of me that would mesh with each city. But I want to know which one I would fit with most. Which one would make me feel most at home.

Maybe I am over-thinking this. I have been guilty of that too, in the past.

I don't know. Maybe I should stop thinking about this for now.

If you have any advice guys, I will listen.

Love,
Ariel

Lesson 10: Making decisions is the hardest thing in the world for me, and I don't think it should be. That makes me sad, self-conscious.
Ariel

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Ophelia on April 22nd, 2011, 11:51 pm

Hey Ariel,

I have a really short response but here goes. :)

When I applied for Lhavit, I hadn't even read the Lore until a week or so before I did. But I immediately fell in love with it. I think what you need to think about is what city excites you - don't worry about how well you know the city (you've been around long enough to know pretty much the basics of everything, and you can learn intricacies along the way) and don't worry about whether or not you roleplay there. Think about which one you want to bring excitement to, new life. Ones that make you think "I can do this here!" or "This is a good opportunity for players!" An important part is to know what you want to do. I don't think you should apply for a place just because you love the city - you need to have developmental and creative ideas for the city, to know what you want to do with it. Take a risk and expand, bringing adventures and fun and new ideas to the city you choose.

And that's my two cents! :)
Ophelia
Just A Fool's Hope

Words: 97802
Joined roleplay: January 10th, 2011, 12:40 am
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Ariel on April 23rd, 2011, 12:00 am

Thanks for the advice Nicky.

It is very good "two cents." Two very shiny pennies. *Giggles*

I appreciate it, really.

And now, I suppose I have even more to think about.
Ariel

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Markus Andres on May 3rd, 2011, 4:23 pm

Markus Andres
The OTK

Words: 1104443
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Ophelia on May 6th, 2011, 3:06 pm

It's Aello's red panda!
Ophelia
Just A Fool's Hope

Words: 97802
Joined roleplay: January 10th, 2011, 12:40 am
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Growl on May 6th, 2011, 3:26 pm

*Huggles Markus and Ophelia*

I love it! Them... you know what I mean!

Lesson 11: Ariel likes to be showered with gifts.

See guys, Ariel IS normal!
I carry the words of the dead.
Growl
Lost Soul

Words: 167857
Joined roleplay: April 27th, 2011, 12:51 pm
Office

Postby Growl on May 8th, 2011, 9:15 pm

Image Oh for the sake of organization:

Everything that I am doing and/or need to get done:

Cara:

-Leave Avanthal
-Modded thread with Chesh
-Figure out the thread with Larina
-Work on Animal Husbandry and Reimancy
-Adopt another animal?
-Get her into the Watch if she doesn't leave Avanthal in the end

Blythe:

-Get the freaking work thread done!
-Finish up the thread with Gural in Sunberth
-Keyta thread... if she comes out of hiding
-Two modded threads with Alice (payment for Kariha's lessons)
-Figure out the whole Serrif business
-Sinners or Slaves
-Work on Katana, Unarmed, and Meditation
-Pick a city to head to, finally! And head out next season
-The dream thread

Aello:

-Havoc in Ravok (try not to die)
-Summer massive thread
-Be Careful Where You Look
-The thread with Victor and Gural
-Latest training thread with Alenias
-Work on Spiritism, pretty soon, you will be able to summon ghosties!
-Watch Me
-Ginger Men
-Flashback in the Northern Reaches
-Flashback in Avanthal (with Darren)

Ariel:

-Get out of Endrykas
-Behind a blade of Grass

Ianira:

-Finish that one thread

Mod Account:

-Finish writing up locations and working out modded threads

Lesson 12: Ariel is not crazy, she swears it!

Note: This is the last time I will mention this: QUIT TRYING TO BREAK MY PC'S THINGS! K, THANKS.
I carry the words of the dead.
Growl
Lost Soul

Words: 167857
Joined roleplay: April 27th, 2011, 12:51 pm
Office

PreviousNext