[Discussion] The Laws Of The Drykas & Their Traditions

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

[Discussion] The Laws Of The Drykas & Their Traditions

Postby Gossamer on January 26th, 2010, 7:27 pm

Hey Folks!

I've been asked this question more times than I can count now. Basically, a lot of people want to know what the laws of the Drykas People are. Now, when I did the Drykas writeup, I left this blank. I think we need about ten fundamental laws that really pertain to these people and are uniquely their own.

They travel. They depend heavily on each other, their horses, and their faith. They have a colorful history that's fraught with sacrifice. My main thought, in leaving the laws blank, was to allow some people to start playing Drykas, then have those people who have achieved a 'feel' for their pcs come up with ten or so laws in a discussion format thread like this one.

So... here's your thread and your discussion. What I would suggested you do is this. Post a blurb about your Drykas PC (or a pc you'd like to play if you aren't already playing Drykas) and just include what is REALLY important to them. Maybe through this sort of group channeling, we can come up with some nifty laws and traditions.

Non-Drykas, as always, are welcome to play too.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Re: [Discussion] The Laws Of The Drykas & Their Traditions

Postby Lestin on January 26th, 2010, 8:09 pm

What I'd like to be a law is that since Drykas have such a tight knit community that family members deal with their own family issues? Interruption from a whole lot of other Drykan families might be chaos, especially if Drykas are so extroverted.

It's like what Ronso Khimahri said in FFX, "Ronso deal with Ronso problems.". But in this case, the Ronso are one Drykan family and the humans are other Drykan families. xD
Lestin
Player

Words: 3090
Joined roleplay: January 19th, 2010, 1:40 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet

Postby Akela on January 26th, 2010, 8:26 pm

My PC is not Drykas but she's been raised by the Drykas. :) I have a few suggestions:

1) Horses are sacred. To harm or abuse a horse is as serious as harming the clansman who's bonded to it. Cruelty towards a horse is grounds for exile - on foot.

2) The clan is sacred. Obedience is due to its Ankal. All Drykas will be there when the clan needs them.

3) Dignity is sacred. When a fellow Drykas is wounded or incapacitated beyond recovery, the clansman must be ready to put them out of their misery.

4) To attack a clansman is to attack the entire clan. Should two Drykas come to be enemies, their respective Ankal must negotiate a resolution together, or there will be war.

5) The Web is sacred. No Drykas will alter it maliciously or instruct a non-Drykas as to its usage.

What do you think? There could be more, of course, and I agree with Lestin's views on intra-clan justice.
Akela
Chains that free

Words: 45104
Joined roleplay: October 1st, 2009, 11:10 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)

Postby Danica on January 26th, 2010, 10:26 pm

I like the laws that Akela came up with but can I suggest something for law 4. Depending on what kind of attack, but I think that maybe it should be something like the two Drykas can fight it out once (like boys in a boxing ring) but after that the argument or dislike should be put away and if its not then bring it to the whole Family if it continues or something like that. Its just an idea. . .

Anyways I'll try to think of some laws for this as well.
Danica
Player

Words: 9787
Joined roleplay: January 11th, 2010, 3:55 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Lestin on January 27th, 2010, 4:00 pm

Actually, I think the Drykas race should take some inspirations from the Ronso Tribe in FFX. Don't you think so?
Lestin
Player

Words: 3090
Joined roleplay: January 19th, 2010, 1:40 pm
Character sheet

Postby Gossamer on January 27th, 2010, 7:42 pm

I have no FFX knowledge, and we want to keep Mizahar 'original' so taking some inspiration from this Ronso clan is sorta strange to me.

Anyhow, I love the rules people have suggested so far. I think it would be cool too if we left judgments up to the Ankal's and as Akela suggested, if a family member is too sick or injured to move on, I think the Ankal should be responsible for taking their life. That way, while it is a position of power, it is also one of great sorrow. You have a lot to answer for.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Hex on January 28th, 2010, 3:10 am

I am thrilled about the euthenasia, no one deserves to suffer in a vegetated state for the journey past this lifetime is only more lovely. When the body is no longer useable, the mind and soul becomes imprisoned. I am happy to hear that it is agreed upon that the Drykas be a people who can set them free.

I had a thought while working on the city layout the other night. Most pavilion families network and share camp sites together for protection and are in with the whole web net thing. In regards to when families have issues with eachother or with other families, I think it would be neat to have it part of the Drykas way for those families to isolate themselves from the communities and hash out their conflicts by focusing and making it a large part of their week/month/year to resolve issues. Following that idea, families in conflict with other families will reposition themselves to camp with each other and work out their problems. The Drykas: not a cowardly people! They face their demons head on!
Hex
Ghost Chasing Healer

Words: 169721
Joined roleplay: December 4th, 2009, 4:57 am
Blog: View Blog (6)
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Artist (1) Donor (1)

Postby Lebramme on February 1st, 2010, 11:41 am

Drykas are nomadic, family oriented, and take strength over weakness. They also seem to be male-centric for politics, and not gender biased for everything else. Along with the Webbing, the Stardowns, and the basic "don't kill or steal", there's a fairly nice-sized list of potential rules.

- Don't kill another Drykas or a horse in cold blood.
- Don't steal another Drykas' land, wives, livestock, and certainly not their horses.
- Problems that affect the family are solved by the Ankal. Problems that affect the clan are solved by all Ankal.
- Don't defile the Stardowns.
- Akela's Law #3 (Dignity)
- Akela's Law #5 (The Webbing)
- Treat your elders and your Ankal with the respect they deserve.
- Those without Windmarks respect those with Windmarks.
- Bring honor to your clan and your pavilion in all things.
- Claiming the kill of another hunter brings dishonor to your pavilion.

That's just 10 things off the top of my head, definitely not refined, but certainly first-draft material. Hopefully that'll get us somewhere. :)
Lebramme
Curiousity at its Finest

Words: 6978
Joined roleplay: January 12th, 2010, 12:42 am
Race: Human

Postby Jason Alexander on February 26th, 2010, 9:29 pm

how bout somthing no marriage outside the drykas or youll be shunned and not aloud in the city?
"Jason Speaking in Common" "Jason Speaking in Nadar-Canoch" "Other People Speaking"
Jason Alexander
Creator of the Cure

Words: 63344
Joined roleplay: February 2nd, 2010, 2:49 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Gossamer on February 26th, 2010, 9:53 pm

I'm going to try and get these finalized and in this weekend. :)
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next