Standarizing travel?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Standarizing travel?

Postby Darren on May 6th, 2011, 5:16 pm

Hey guys, I was taking a look at the polls and saw the travel related choices and it got me thinking. A dangerous pastime I know but it produced more questions then answers for me.

The distance chart and such were alright for the most part (I understand that around 30-60 days is require to go from one city to the next.) But perhaps a section in the lore that helps people know how fast they are going?

Like a max of miles per day on foot, driving horse, riding horse, herding horse, hybrid horses, Striders in the Sea of grass and by the varying boats (if they will be implemented) can one go on. I would go farther to include weight of equipment and what would happen if you had two or more horses (cart and no cart). But perhaps that might come later.

Your thoughts?

And no, I'm no horse expert.
The original PC of Miria and Bolivar

Darren
I Dare

Words: 346232
Joined roleplay: March 3rd, 2011, 12:53 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Standarizing travel?

Postby Ulric on May 6th, 2011, 7:44 pm

I've always found these tables (in the upper right hand corners of the pdf), which are designed for the medieval-themed Harnworld, to be rather helpful. I found much of that game's material to be adequately researched, although I prefer to tweak the factors around in my other projects. I've always been a bit of a hyper-realist, but coming here I found that sometimes you have to embrace ambiguity. In my opinion, it's better to go with a rough estimate than scribble down a bunch of calculations to account for all the variables (mode of transportation, travel time, weather, terrain, etc).

However, I do agree that two people, under the exact same circumstances, shouldn't have a huge variance in travel times. It is somewhat unfair, but then again, I haven't seen many violations of the honor system.
Ulric
The Warrior-Poet

Words: 629666
Joined roleplay: May 20th, 2010, 5:51 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Donor (1)

Standarizing travel?

Postby Dusk on May 10th, 2011, 10:46 pm

We as staff have tried working on this in various capacities. Your concerns are heard, and we're doing what we can. In the meantime, anyone with questions on traveling can PM me and include where you're traveling to and from and how you're traveling, and i can tell you how long it's going to take.
PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk's Office - Information on Syliras - Help Desk
Dusk
DS: Syliras and Wildlands

Words: 341560
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2010, 5:33 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Trash Medal (1) Thunderspork (1)

Standarizing travel?

Postby Darren on May 20th, 2011, 12:31 am

Oh thanks Duskies, that really brighten things up :)
The original PC of Miria and Bolivar

Darren
I Dare

Words: 346232
Joined roleplay: March 3rd, 2011, 12:53 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Standarizing travel?

Postby Dusk on May 21st, 2011, 5:03 pm

As an additional note (since I just told Darren) I can ONLY tell you how long it will take. I cannot tell you what costs you will have to pay since I don't run the entire game. Just one ickle city. I've no idea how much they charge for a boat ride in Mura.
PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk

Office
Scrapbook
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)

Standarizing travel?

Postby Growl on May 21st, 2011, 6:01 pm

I am pretty sure it is only 1 GM from Syliras to Mura by boat. But I am not absolutely certain, so perhaps you should check with Alice just to be sure. >.<
I carry the words of the dead.
Growl
Lost Soul

Words: 167857
Joined roleplay: April 27th, 2011, 12:51 pm
Office

Standarizing travel?

Postby Dusk on May 21st, 2011, 6:15 pm

You can't get from Syliras to Mura by boat, they're on two different seas. I was just using that as an example.

Dusk

Office
Scrapbook
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)

Standarizing travel?

Postby Growl on May 21st, 2011, 6:20 pm

My bad, the boat from Mura to mainland Sylira*
I carry the words of the dead.
Growl
Lost Soul

Words: 167857
Joined roleplay: April 27th, 2011, 12:51 pm
Office