Establishing a principality.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Postby Croatoan Vederoin on June 6th, 2011, 9:41 pm

My good men and women, I have been thinking a little. I am a total nationalist and quite an imperialist when it comes to roleplay, and I am wondering of the possibility to capture land and turn it into a centralised principality.

Secret :

It could have a great potential for roleplaying in my opinion.
Croatoan Vederoin
The Cooking Axeman.

Words: 5749
Joined roleplay: May 28th, 2011, 8:12 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Gossamer on June 6th, 2011, 9:49 pm

One question... how's your PC going to gather, feed, arm, and otherwise finance an army? And even if you did, how are you going to maintain boarders in this mostly wilderness area? BTW keep in mind NPCs are only max skilled at 30 points if they are moving, and you have to be with them if you control them... plus you have to cover their expenses.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Croatoan Vederoin on June 6th, 2011, 10:05 pm

That is, of course, a problem. However, I am fully aware this may be a bit early for dividing the continent up in areas larger than the immediate surroundings of a city.

As for maintaining an army. As you see on the map, my theoretical principality have the cities of Lisnar and Zeltiva under her dominion. By that, I would have access to the trade flow, and can tax the merchants that arrive in the ports. Since Zeltvina is a centre of trade is it possible for me to fulfil some of the money requirement there. However, as for feeding the army is a tougher question. That I know about Zeltvina is that it is a city with no fertile land and it have to import most of its goods.

I do, however, know nothing about Lisnar since the City page did not list it.

The area of the principality should be in the southern parts of Sylira with the rolling hills, and I believe it could be possible to put up farms in the same way Syliras has if I can find fertile and flat ground.

As for maintaining borders. Well, that is a tough question. I must recognize, since this is the wilderness we are talking about, that the borders will be fluid. I do believe that the border might just span the peninsula and the immediate area around Zeltvina.

(By the way, I intended to make this principality by rising to Lord of the Council in Zeltvina and go into a league/union with Lisnar.)

P.S.: Could you supply me with some information about Lisnar?
Croatoan Vederoin
The Cooking Axeman.

Words: 5749
Joined roleplay: May 28th, 2011, 8:12 pm
Character sheet

Postby Ciryll on June 8th, 2011, 3:37 am

May I ask a question related to the original question?

What if a group of PC's worked together to carve out a chunk of land for themselves? Not necessarily the principality originally proposed, but a group of PC's pooling their resources in order to stake a claim?
Ciryll
Player

Words: 9740
Joined roleplay: May 21st, 2011, 1:22 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gossamer on June 8th, 2011, 4:08 am

You never addressed my original question with an answer.
The rest is a moot point without the how.

And say a group of PCs wanted to start a village
or carve some tame land out of the wilderness...yes that
is possible but only on a small scale at first like say
a village or fort. There is no way in game one PC could
realistically found, defend, tame, and
supply upkeep on a place as huge as proposed.

Which I suspect everyone realizes... and is the reason for
my question not being answered.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Acanthus on June 8th, 2011, 4:12 am

Gossamer wrote:BTW keep in mind NPCs are only max skilled at 30 points if they are moving

Wait, what? Could explain this rule?
Acanthus
Wizard

Words: 11928
Joined roleplay: May 31st, 2011, 9:52 pm
Character sheet

Postby Growl on June 8th, 2011, 4:13 am

Just some light reading on NPCs. The link should answer your questions.
I carry the words of the dead.
Growl
Lost Soul

Words: 167857
Joined roleplay: April 27th, 2011, 12:51 pm
Office

Postby Acanthus on June 8th, 2011, 4:15 am

I'm an idiot. I thought it said "PCs". ;) My bad.
Acanthus
Wizard

Character sheet

Postby Nil'kayn on June 8th, 2011, 5:39 am

This is a very hard, thread to answer to for I think this at the base of it is a good idea, but has numerous details that need to be wrinkled out, and even if they are wrinkled out I'm not sure it is even possible.

I think that creating nations would be a great idea. (I can go into great detail about this and the pros and cons, but it will just get confusing.)

Now focusing specifically on your idea.

Ok so Lisnar has not been developed yet, so should not be even considered to be apart of this or you are taking away someones opportunity to develop a unique city.

Now lets say you just create a nation around Zeltiva, maybe this could work. First thing you would need though is to talk to Liminal and Tabarnac, as they are mods of that city. But from looking a Zeltiva's lore it looks like the city is wealthy, pretty well populated, but has little land or food, and a very small land army, and large navy. So my guessing that Zeltiva wouldn't be able to do it by themselves.

So then you would need to find an army and a large amount of man power to first, obtain land anyway possible, then you would need to start to develop and tame the wilderness a task in itself. Then you would need to keep your army, which might not be that hard if you told them they could have any land they want within this nation.

The main question is how you are going to get that large of an army, and general manpower. Zeltiva doesn't have enough of a population to get an army from there.

~Nilkayn
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Note: Unless stated otherwise, Nilkayn is speaking in common, except for his thoughts.
Disclaimer: All the images I use ARE NOT MINE, and I do not claim ownership of them. Thank you to the artists, photographers, or models who created them.
Nil'kayn
Someone...

Words: 60524
Joined roleplay: May 27th, 2011, 10:28 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet

Postby Acanthus on June 8th, 2011, 5:58 am

My big problem with this is that the whole idea of Mizahar is that the world is wild and uncivilized. The people as a whole are still recovering from the Valterrian, even thought it was over five centuries ago. To civilize large areas of land would just kind of...ruin the "flavor" of Mizahar, don't you think?
Acanthus
Wizard

Character sheet

Next