[Windmount Stables] Seeking Employment (Tabarnac)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Kendall Saarinen on May 19th, 2011, 8:44 pm

Timestamp: 2nd of Spring, 511 AV

Kendall never considered himself fantastic with horses but he hoped his skill with riding could help him get a job at the Windmount Stables. He would not be able to teach very complicated things to the people he was going to be instructing on riding but he supposed he could ask if he could get a job teaching children or even people who had ridden before. He could stay on Dyakana, his Colorsplash, while riding but did not think that he would have been doing any amazing tricks on her back. He would have to wait until he was a little more skilled at riding before he could teach that.

When Kendall reached the stables he looked at the door nervously. The woman at the employment center had suggested that he go to the Stables so there really was not a reason to be scared. He pushed through the doors and looked around for the person in charge. ”Excuse me; I am looking for a job. The Employment center directed me here. I know a bit about horses and riding and they said that I could possibly get a job here.” He stood there, Dyakana in tow, as he looked for someone who could help him. He hoped that along with getting a job at the stables he could also keep Dyakana there. He did not have a home to speak of in Syliras. He and Cathan had been camping until they got to the city.
"I'm burning and I'm blacking my lungs.
Boy you know it feels good with fire back on your tongue."
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen
Like John Allerdyce but hotter

Words: 595666
Joined roleplay: November 6th, 2010, 1:04 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Tabarnac on May 23rd, 2011, 5:33 am

"Mucking stables and feeding horses?" came a voice from the side. A man, well built and rather regal despite the horse shyke on his boots walked up, a bale of hay in his strong arms. Things were busy here and even a Knight of the Order had to pull his weight. In fact, he had to pull more than his weight because his cousin would be only too happy to throw her cousin under the hooves of the stampeding Knights if something went wrong. Something about him getting to wear armor...

The man wasn't mean, but he looked critically at the slight young man and his colorsplash. He could tell right away that he only knew the first thing about the care and feeding of his horse. It wasn't difficult for him to extrapolate and make an educated guess that his seat in the saddle would be less than impressive as well.

"We have high enough turnover with stableboys," he said. "Nobody willing to get their hands dirty for honest pay. A golden miza per day, food and lodging for yourself and for your lady friend there."
Tabarnac
god of carnage

Words: 346698
Joined roleplay: May 26th, 2010, 3:06 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Advocate (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Kendall Saarinen on May 26th, 2011, 3:36 am

As sad as it was, at the age of twenty-one this was the first time Kendall had ever tried to get a job. His parents had pampered him and paid for everything he needed. Being on his own was new and scary but he tried to look on the bright side. He was getting the chance to be paid. He would need the money if he was going to move on from Syliras. He had every intention to. He was not going to stop his journey so close to home. He felt a wave of nervousness rush over him when he saw the man walk out to talk to him. "Don't show your fear. Be cool and things will be okay."

The man was very blunt and it bothered Kendall a bit. There was nothing he could do about it though. At least he was being offered a job. He could have been turned away on the spot. It was not as if he was the model of a strong worker. His more feminine build made him seem like he would not be the greatest worker. A golden miza a day was better pay than none at all. Food and lodging for him and Dyakana was not too bad of a deal either. "Thank you sir. I will work well for my keep." It was a relief to know not only the Dyakana was going to have a place to say, but he would too. Having a bit of money in is pocket never hurt either.
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Tabarnac on June 4th, 2011, 8:53 pm

"All right, here," he said, and hefted the hay bale into Kendall's arms, before grabbing another two, one under each arm. "We'll find her a stall, get her eating, and I'll show you around."

His eye was not judgmental, but certainly quite observant as he gauged Kendall's strength against the hay. This was going to be almost pure physical labor, and while it didn't require the physique of a master blacksmith, the slender variety of man often had trouble. But they would put some meat on his bones between the hearty food and the employment of his body.
Tabarnac
god of carnage

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Kendall Saarinen on June 12th, 2011, 3:05 am

Kendall's mismatched eyes widened as he grasped the bale of hay in his arms. "Thank you." He was much strong than he had been as a girl but he was still nowhere as strong as the others who worked at the stables. He needed to be strong, he needed to work. His parents were no longer going to pay for every little thing he needed. He forced a smile at the man as he struggled to hold the hay up. In his own way he wanted to get stronger. It would be just another layer to add on to his growing ruse with his new identity.

Kendall felt a little nervous around the man but he tried to keep a brave face. He worried about what the man was thinking about him. He struggled as he tried to balance the hay on his arm and shoulder so he could get a hold on Dyakana's reigns. He followed the man through the stables as he bit his lip. The bale was feeling heavier as he walked. "Don't worry Dya, I'll be here with you all the time." His voice as a little strained as he talked to his horse. It was clear that he would need to work on his strength for his job.
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Tabarnac on June 13th, 2011, 6:10 am

"She'll be well treated here," he assured the girly man. He bumped a stall door open with his hip, dropped a hay bale in the feed trough, went and did the same to the next, and then relieved Kendall of his burden to place it in the stall after that. A knife flashed and the heavy twine binding it was cut. He spread the hay out a bit so it would be easier for the colorsplash mare.

"Now lead her on in," he said, indicating the stall with the trough full of sweet hay. It would be educative to observe how the young man handled his horse. It was one thing to be a good rider, and another to be able to care for a horse. He happened to believe that one couldn't truly excel at riding without being a good caretaker, but he was considered horse-crazy, even by his fellow knights.

"Oh, and I'm Ulliver," he said, leaving off the Ser and the famous Windmount surname. "What should I call you? Do you have a name or shall I invent one for you?"
Tabarnac
god of carnage

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Kendall Saarinen on July 6th, 2011, 1:35 am

Kendall was relieved when the knight took the hay from his grasp. He tried to hide the fact from him though. He still was trying to create some sort of facade that he was not as weak as he appeared. "Thank you Sir." Next he looked over to his horse and smiled. The horse was all he had left of home. "Come on Dyakana, it will be okay." He worried a bit that his horse might have worried when he left her in the stable. He ran his hand down the horse's neck as he led her forward into the stall. She walked forward obediently and dipped her head to graze on the hay once she had settled. "I'll still be here every day, or almost everyday."

When Kendall felt as though he could leave Dyakana he walked toward Ulliver. "Nice to meet you. My name is Kendall Saarinen." He was more than happy to give his name to the man. In his experience people inventing names for him never ended well, even as a girl. He imagined with his obvious lack in strength in comparison to the man the invented name would be less than enjoyable.
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Tabarnac on July 10th, 2011, 4:52 am

The knight peered at Kendall for a moment, piercing gaze seeming to work its way inside of him. After a moment's thought, he said, "Surrounded by water? Hm. I've heard that no man is an island, but many men... men and women... We're rather an island here, don't you think? The peace of Syliras surrounded by the post-Valterrian chaos. And even far from Zeltiva there's a bit of philosophy for you..."

He laughed.

"Welcome to the Windmount Stables, Kendall of the Sea. Now see all these horses get their hay. Mind you don't get bitten or kicked. Watch especially for the Bloodbane's teeth. They have a taste for blood."

XP Award!

Kendall
XP Award: Bodybuilding +2; Horsemanship +2

Additional Notes:
I know you have a lot of work on your plate, but if you could give me a decent few posts over the season, I can award you some seasonal income and XP. Thanks!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or concerns.

Keep writing!
Tabarnac
god of carnage

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)