[Council Chambers] Owning Actions And Facing Truths (Charon)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Kavala on July 8th, 2010, 7:19 pm

ImagePain flickered through Kavala's eyes. She stepped closer to Flick, feeling the bond between them and knowing it would latch on and grow if she just acknowledged it and gave it some love. Kavala's hand touched Flick's shoulder gently. Fingers caressed the fabric of Flick's simple dress before they gently drew the Kelvic to the Konti's embrace. "Oh Flick, I'm so sorry they've done this to you. Please, little one, breath. Breath for a minute and listen to the sound of my voice." Kavala said softly, firmly, gently staring into the fennec fox's eyes with all the emotion she could muster.

"On the grasslands, there are creatures called Elephants. Sometimes the Drykas keep them as pets to move their cargo around. They are great huge things, Flick... so big they seem like mountains. The Drykas start when they are young and throw these big heavy chains around their legs when they are still small. These chains attach to huge stakes in the ground that no baby could ever pull up, regardless of how big the baby was. A baby elephant is about equivalent to a horse, maybe a bit smaller, Flick. They learn early and fast that they can't break the chain. Ever. No matter how much they try or how scared they get they can't break it. The chain controls them. Then, once they learn this, when they are older the Drykas only keep them tethered with thin hemp rope. It's rope they could easily break, but they don't see it... they don't see that they can break it, because all they see is the chain."
Kavala moved sideways, still holding Flick in a partial embrace and pulled something from a nearby drawer.

It was a collar, locked closed.

"This one would fit your neck, Flick. You've worn them before. You fought and cried until you slipped one. But you know something? You didn't change, Flick, did you? Not with it on. Why? Because Reghitaar kept you chained like the Drykas do the baby elephants. He never gave you a chance to learn something new."
Kelvics weren't... the brightest. Unfortunately their animal instincts took over more than their human common sense. Kavala held up the collar again, showing it to Flick - showing her its diameter.

"Flick, your fennec's neck is three times this small. The only form he can ever hold you in is your fox's. She could be bound not to change with a collar... but in her form he can't do all the things he wants to do with you. Talk to you. Play with you. Even breed you. With your fennec form you can flee easily enough. And this collar, this human collar, he'll put on you because he knows your trained not to shift in one - told you can't - even though you can. He'll count on that to keep you subdued while they do whatever it is they want to do. You are smarter than an elephant, Flick. Felicity. Act like it. If you run now, you'll run forever. And inside you'll never be free. If you try it this way first, let us do what we came to do... at least you have a chance to finally be free. To be your own person is priceless. Trust us. Trust me. Let me try."
She said sincerely.

And then Kavala released her to rummage in the cupboard again. She pulled out some vials of medicine, mixed them briefly on a piece of parchment paper, then quickly and effectively wrapped the medical powder in a tiny grape leaf making a packet that looked like a pill. "And swallow this, Flick. It will calm you down so you don't do anything stupid before we try this. If you look panicked, its to his advantage. I don't want that." She added, trying to reason with the kelvic.

The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Hatot on July 8th, 2010, 10:06 pm

Hatot slowly stepped up beside the two of them, laying his hand along Flick’s shoulder. “Kavala speaks true, Felicity.” Hatot then said, his tone as soothing as it would be with his students. “Even if you run and get free, you’ll still be running. Ask yourself this: Would you rather endure seeing them one more time at the chance you will never have to see them, to be free of them? Or would you prefer that you never see them, but constantly have to look over your shoulder out of fear?”

Hatot slowly fell to one knee, looking between Kavala and Flick. “Fear is as much a form of slavery as any bindings. Even more so, because it will stay with you even after bindings have been removed.” Hatot said before finally locking his gaze into Flick’s own. “It’s time to break free of that fear, Felicity. Trust in Kavala as you have so far. She has not let you down yet, and running now would only make everything she’s done for you up to this point in vain.”

“In any event,” Hatot then said, standing back up, his full height and stature coming in to view, “you and Kavala will not be going to meet this child and his father alone.”

Please, do not upset me. I would hate to unintentionally rip your throat out in a fit of rage.
Hatot
The Edge Walker

Words: 301214
Joined roleplay: February 17th, 2010, 8:12 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Flick on July 29th, 2010, 8:55 pm

Flick allowed herself to be held by the konti, comforted by her closeness and the bond she so desperately wanted. Hugging her back, the kelvic looked up as she spoke to her about the elephants. It sounded so stupid. Why didn't they just run when the chain was off? Dark eyes following the woman as she moved, the fox's eyes widened as the collar came out, jumping back as though burnt. Flick pressed herself against the wall, terrified of that small piece of leather. Heart beating in her ears, the fennec tried to listen to Kavala, unable to look away from the collar.

As the words continued, Flick's heart slowed and her wide eyed terror faded into more of a thoughtful and hurt frown. How has she been so stupid? So...brainwashed. Pushing away from the wall, she looked away from the collar finally, turning her gaze to Kavala, then to Hatot, then back to the konti. Fear held her in place, although she knew it was unwarranted. She understood what Kavala said, and it gave her hope...but still. The leather hung in the air like some hellspawned torture device. Flick couldn't bring herself to come closer. Finally Kavala swapped the collar for a small package, a pill of sorts. To calm the kelvic. Moving slowly, she finally approached the konti, pushing her long hair back behind her ears and taking the pill in her hand. Turning her gaze to Hatot as he rested a hand on her shoulder, she listened to him, medicine sitting in her hand all the while.

"I don't want to be afraid." She said quietly, looking at Kavala again, before putting the medicine on the back of her tongue and swallowing it quickly. Taking a deep breath, she nodded.

"Alright. I'll go. I don't want to hurt you or Kavala. I just...please watch out for Corvinan, Reghitaars son. He is...not right." Looking at Hatot, she tapped his chest.

"Your other half is in here, Corvinan's is outside. He's backwards. And he's got a tongue of silver. Ohh." The kelvic blinked, feeling the starting affects of Kavala's medicine. It was a soothing sort of sensation, but certainly not overwhelming.

Flick
Streetfox

Words: 59171
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2010, 6:33 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Kavala on August 1st, 2010, 7:57 am

ImagenoteFlick, I'm going to take the liberty of assuming you give Kav the location of where Reghitaar lives... if its not okay let me know and I will change my post.

Kavala quietly watched as the medication took effect. There was so many things that could go wrong. Maybe she'd not have enough coin to cover Flick's cost. Maybe Reghitaar wouldn't sell her. Flick herself could give the whole plan away if she acted up. Kavala had things she was going to use to persuade the man. She had no qualms about it. Since moving to Riverfall she understood the desperation of the situation here and the reality of Kelvics like Flick. They were here for a purpose and it wasn't one Kavala could easily ignore. She glanced over at Hatot and looked thoughtful, because in her mind she couldn't picture a world without the Akalak's in it. And honestly, that's where the whole race was headed if they couldn't work on their reproductive issues and stabilize their inner monsters.

The Konti reached out even as Flick started to mellow quickly under the medication and slid her fingers through Flick's hair soothingly. "I just want you to know, Felicity, that things are going to be alright. Everything is going to be fine. Just trust us. Trust in the gods. Its not random change you found your way to Sanctuary. And we mean what we label ourselves." Kavala said, pulling away, then quietly pulled on her cloak. Once Flick was calm, she carefully asked her for the location of Reghitaar's place and the three of them set off to find the man and see if he'd discuss ownership with any of them.

Kavala kept a hold of Flicks' hand in hers as they walked, yet stood beside Hatot so closely that her arm brushed his every once in a while. He could tell she was grateful to have him along and knew that although Reghitaar might be perfectly reasonable, there was a good chance he would be needed if the man refused to talk to her being a woman. He'd be polite, alright, some of older men in Riverfall always were. But some of them masked their distrust and suspicion behind masks of indifference sugarcoated with niceness.

Reghitaar might be perfectly fine, but obviously his son wasn't. "Flick, don't worry... we'll becareful. Just keep your focus on not provoking Reghitaar until we get done talking with him. We want to negotiate first. If we fight with the son, then its not going to go well for any of us. And the trouble will get back to the Council. Buying you is the best option. Just try not to talk much and let us, alright?" Kavlaa said as they made the long slow walk into town towards the address Flick had recited.

If anyone had any strategy to discuss or game plans to talk about along the way she'd gladly discuss them. But there seemed to be an oppressive silence filled with worry that permeated everything. She simply didn't want it to effect them any more than it already had. So she didn't try to fill the silence with light talk. Instead she just calmly walked until the streets grew more familiar and she recognized the neighborhood. At the correct addresses Kavala paused. She took one deep breath the another and Kavala boldly walked up to the door, knocked, and waited quietly.

The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Hatot on August 1st, 2010, 9:45 am

“Yes, the Akalak child does sound imbalanced.” Hatot said before laying his hand along the top of Flick’s head, giving a subtle pat, “but such may work for us Flick. If the father has any sense of duty to Riverfall and his family line at all, he’ll know this fully. As well, he’ll know that having you around may further imbalance his son. As such, he would see it beneficial to his family to sell you to Kavala to prevent such.”

Hatot slowly stood, stepping to the side as Kavala stayed beside Flick while the medication started to take effect. Instead of grabbing more things, Hatot instead, began removing things from his own person as he first began unfastening the buckles to his teethed gauntlets as they made a light rattle along a nearby table as he laid them along it’s surface. He then began working the buckles to his leather armor, unfastening them as well before it was slid off and laid out. “Smart and stupid at the same time.” Radris echoed in Hatot’s head. “Us accompanying Kavala is one thing, but us showing up fully armored sends the message that there’s no trust, and we’re expecting conflict. However, not showing up in armor means we’re more vulnerable in case conflict does arise.”

“Hopefully the father will simply keep his son in the house for the whole of the conversation.” Hatot then echoed back to Radris. “If anyone will start conflict during negotiations, it will be him.”

“I still say you let me drag that little whelp by his hair to the arena.” Radris echoed, a slight scoff in his voice. “Let him try to prove his some big bad blue bastard up against me.”

“I would consider it, were it not for the repercussions.” Hatot then answered Radris, before stepping back beside the Kavala and Flick as Kavala finished slipping on her cloak.

As the three of them then left Sanctuary, and began traveling at a slow pace towards Reghitaar’s home, there was a deafening silence that passed over the three of them for a short time. Hatot’s hand slight reached out, occasionally hooking into Kavala’s as it swung, his mind racing as Radris and him discussed various things that might happen, what could go wrong and the best solution for them. His eyes constantly scanned the area for two things. First was for whatever Akalak’s the council may have sent to ensure that Kavala and Flick were upholding the council’s decision, the second was for Raghitaar’s son, making sure that he wouldn’t meet them en route in case he had already heard word from the Council about Flick. Things could likely get complicated if the son came to claim Flick before they had even had the chance to meet with the boy’s father.

As they finally began nearing the house, Hatot let out a soft sigh of relief that they had not run into the son, and he slowly looked to Kavala, his face as calm and focused as it usually was. “Chances are, they have already been informed by the Council about Flick. If they have not, however, see if you can avoid bringing up how long Flick has been under your care.” Hatot suggested first off to Kavala in a light whisper. “When proposing to buy Flick, I would suggest making the purchase more about you’re wanting Flick. If you display a fear for her if she were to remain under his roof, he may think that you are implying he can not keep his own house in order, which will be an immediate insult to him. Apart from that, I'm not certain what to suggest, as I do not know this Akalak apart from what I have learned from Flick and you.”

Hatot’s hand then rested along Kavala’s shoulder as they neared the front gate, giving her a slow nod. As Kavala began stepping towards to door to knock, his heart seemed to skip a beat, imagining the worse and considering possible solutions. For the most part, however, things like these were a little out of his realm. Before Kavala, Hatot had had very little experience in the social aspect of Riverfall life, much less delicate situations such as these.

Please, do not upset me. I would hate to unintentionally rip your throat out in a fit of rage.
Hatot
The Edge Walker

Words: 301214
Joined roleplay: February 17th, 2010, 8:12 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Flick on August 3rd, 2010, 11:19 am

Flick nodded sullenly, hand in Kavala's as they left the Sanctuary. Part of her mind was aware, and very active...but it was sort of like a dream. It didn't really matter because it wasn't really real. As she could do was nod. There were turns, twists and endless doorways. The kelvic didn't really look at them, but she remembered the area. Her feet remembered the path. As Kavala and Hatot took her closer to her fate, the fox reached out to brush her fingers against a hanging fern frond. It was just a few houses away from home. Home? Not her home, not any more.

Looking up, she slowed to a stop as Kavala did, staring at the doorway. It felt like forever ago since she'd seen it. Familiar stone archway, faded whitewash walls, rich redwood door. Flick couldn't help but notice that Reghitaar had replaced the broken pot plant by the front door. She had told him for ages it needed to be done, but he had simply said 'it adds character'. The fennec felt sad for the pot.

Knocking brought the girl back to reality, and heart leaping into her mouth, the kelvic swallowed hard and took a deep breath. Releasing it slowly, she waited for an answer.

Flick
Streetfox

Words: 59171
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2010, 6:33 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Cayenne on June 25th, 2011, 11:48 pm

Good thread, though a shame it didn't finish.

I hereby award the following:

Kavala
Rhetoric: 4 XP
Medicine: 1 XP
Lore: Riverfall Council Meeting Procedures
Lore: Akalak View of Kelvics
Lore: Drykas and Elephants

Hatot
Rhetoric: 4 XP
Leadership: 1 XP
Lore: Riverfall Council Meeting Procedures
Lore: Akalak View of Kelvics