[The Spinning Coin] Take One For the Team

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Sondra on June 1st, 2011, 4:34 am

(TS: Summer 511 AV, Day 1 towards evening)

"Kendall," Sondra suddenly announced, "It's our last day in Syliras and I think it's high time you and I spent some time together."

She had cornered Kendall after a rather dubious meal (it had been her turn to cook) and something in her posture was especially severe tonight.

"I'm going to peel you away from Hadrian or whatever overly groomed friend you had plans with tonight."

She loomed, an interesting effect considering she was shorter than him.

"Grab your shyke and lets go. This Konti has a desperate need to get out and I need a chaperone."
Sondra was already half out the door as she added.

"And you owe me a drink."

Sondra
The Sinspeaker

Words: 141440
Joined roleplay: October 13th, 2009, 6:47 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Kendall Saarinen on June 11th, 2011, 9:09 pm

The meal made by Sondra had been interesting to say the least. Kendall could not complain too much. He was not exactly a skilled cook himself. He enjoyed the Konti's company though. It was calming to be in the company of another Azenth. "I agree. I wouldn't mind one more night out before heading off to Ravok." He smiled slightly at the words. The last time he had gone out had had gone drinking and the night had not ended too well. The last thing he recalled from that night was his head smacking against a table before blacking out.

"What do you have in mind Sondra?" From the look in Sondra's eyes Kendall could tell the Konti was thinking up something a bit on the unorthadox side. Even though the Konti was shorter than Kendall he found himself to be a bit submissive to her and her plans. He tended to be like that with most people though. His low self esteem left him with a need to have others create plans. From there he was more than willing to follow.

A small chuckle bubbled from Kendall's throat. "Of course. I have to say, I don't think that I would be the best chaperone if we are getting drinks. I tend to over do it." Despite the words of warning he followed his Konti companion to the Spinning Coin. He had not been to the place yet although he had heard about it. It was one of the few places in the city where people fought and gambled. He was a bit scared but he would not admit it to Sondra. She was a brave woman and he felt the need to be the same at her side.

Once in the Spinning Coin Kendall ordered a drink for both Sondra and himself. "I've never been to the Spinning Coin before. I've heard nothing but good things though." His comment was thick with sarcasam.
"I'm burning and I'm blacking my lungs.
Boy you know it feels good with fire back on your tongue."
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen
Like John Allerdyce but hotter

Words: 595666
Joined roleplay: November 6th, 2010, 1:04 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Sondra on June 12th, 2011, 2:37 am

Sondra seized on the drink Kendall offered with a bit more enthusiasm than normal. She had been mostly dry since her rude awakening in Sunberth. But if she was going to traipse into Ravok, she needed something liquid to convince her.

“Never been?” Sondra was incredulous, “Compared to my haunts in Sunberth, this place is a petching palace.”

She gestured for another round, even though Kendall was still drinking the first.
“It’s only overdoing it if you can’t hold your liquor.”

Sondra had a higher fortitude than one would guess, but she couldn’t deny the laws of nature. Who knew how far the Konti would go?

When she caught a server’s attention she quickly rattled an order.
“Beer for him, Eypharian if you have it and I’ll have something that tastes less like piss and more like fire.”

Smiling slyly, Sondra clinked mugs with Kendall.
“May we be alive at the same time next year.”

She finished off what was in her mug and sighed.
“Ravok’s a tangled place with tangled people. I can’t decide whether to be half drunk or full sober while we’re there. The former gives me some mental respite, but dulls reaction.”
Her eyes narrowed, as if glaring at a memory, but she quickly shifted expressions.
“Anyway, what’s the draw, Kendall?”

Sondra
The Sinspeaker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Kendall Saarinen on June 20th, 2011, 9:30 pm

A slight shake of the head caused Kendall's blond bangs to fall into his face. "Nope, never." He was a little embarassed to stay that. He had not been much of anywhere. "I am origonally from Zeltiva and before coming to Syliras I had never left the city. I know, it is pathetic. I was a student at the University so I guess I supposed I would see the world after I finished my studies." He blushed a little as he slipped down his beer. The Konti had a point. He really just could have been a lightweight in the world of drinking. He would have spoken up, defended his drinking honor but he had a feeling that anything he could have said to the woman would have only made himself look more foolish.

Kendall nodded politely to Sondra when she ordered him a beer. "Thanks." Even a travel through the Wildlands had not rid Kendall of his social phobia of talking to others. He should have been less afraid of talking to the Konti woman but he could feel his shy persona pulling on his words and making his mouth unable to form the thoughts that filled his head.

A shy smile formed on Kendall's lips when Sondra said her toast. "I'll drink to that." He took a swig of his beer and let his smile linger on his lips. "I could not have said it better myself." He worried a lot about his own mortality. He had felt safe in Zeltiva. He had two big brother's and a father there to protect him. Here in Syliras he was all on his own, or he had been. Since coming to the city Hadrian had let him know that he could not help but protect him. Kendall did not exactly understand why but he liked that someone felt protective over him. He knew he was not all that good at protecting himself.

Kendall felt a little shock of fear when Sondra questioned him about why he wanted to go to Ravok. He supposed he should trust the Konti although he was always hesitant to share his personal information with anyone. "A person who is important to me is going to be there, or so I have heard." His voice was coming out a bit more venomous than he has intented. He was not telling a complete lie. The person was a very important part of Kendall's life. He was in a search for the animator who had kidnapped him back in Zeltiva. He was not sure that he wanted to tell that to Sondra though. He had not told Hadrian about it either. "I just have something I need to talk about with them. They have something that is mine and I want it back." He took a drink as his mismatched eyes fell to the table. He was scared that Sondra would see through his half-true explination. Almost out of nervous habit he piped up with a question of his own. "What about you? Why do you want to go to Ravok?"
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Sondra on July 10th, 2011, 6:50 am

Sondra knew a secret when she saw one, but she had a surprising graciousness toward Kendall. She didn’t press or kick him about for an answer, merely nodded and said,

“Fair enough. If they’ve got something of yours I’ll help you shatter their fingers ‘til they give it back,”

Whatever Kendall was hiding, it was likely nothing compared to her typical confidences. Her head housed more of others’ secrets than was healthy. The occasional night terrors Kendall had witnessed from her were enough evidence of a mind not at ease with its contents.

When Kendall questioned her motives, it was Sondra’s turn to blush and look away.
“I thought that was obvious,” she managed after taking a long drink.
“You asked me to, seemed like reason enough.”

For a long-time resident of Syliras, Sondra didn’t have much of a social life. Kendall would have noticed the lack of letters, family or even feet on her doorstep. For all his attempts at obscuring his past, he didn’t have the same mystique as Sondra. At least she knew where he was from, a sliver of his previous life, and the names of several of his friends. For all her talking, she said nothing. Maybe this small friendship was one of the only ones she had. Maybe it was meaningful enough to her to provoke a trip to a city that held nothing but threats. No wonder she seemed a bit embarrassed.

“That and I might be able to find an old friend. I wouldn’t be surprised if he wandered there.”
Leo and the Triad were phantoms at this point. Even Terminus, their tracker had slipped into obscurity. When feeling especially vulnerable, she wondered if it was the quiet hand of Rhysol plucking them away.
But if Leo was ever going to turn up, Ravok would be a good place to check.

After taking her drink in a quick gulp, Sondra wiped her mouth with the back of her hand. She was staring past Kendall now, reading something on the wall.

“You ever been in a brawl, Kendall?” she asked suddenly, “I’ve a mind to make some mizas for the trip.”
Her grin was devilish, “Not all of us are as wealthy as that mage friend of yours.”

Sondra jutted her chin at a sign asking for amateur fighters for bouts.
“And I spy one of my usual ways to scare up some shinies.”

Why fighting for money was “usual” business for a Konti, was the question of the bell. How did one begin in quiet Mura, blessed and at peace, and end in a state where blood-sport was not only acceptable but pursued?

“So, you game?” she prodded.

Sondra
The Sinspeaker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Kendall Saarinen on July 31st, 2011, 4:33 pm

It was calming to know that Sondra was so loyal. Kendall could barely hide the small smile that came to his face when Sondra spoke of helping him. "Thank you. It means a lot." He was not sure at the beginning of his strange journey from home if he would make a lot of new friends. He was glad to know Sondra though. She was tough, this much was evident. She seemed to care deeply under her more rough exterior though.

It surprised Kendall a bit to hear that Sondra was coming along just because he asked. The blond had not spent too much time away from home but he never suspected that people could just get up and move on as quickly as easily as someone asking "Do you want to go to Ravok with us?". "Well, I am glad you are coming." Kendall smiled lightly before taking a drink. For the most part, Kendall was happy just to have more people accompanying him. He appreciated having a woman in the group more than he would let on. He had worried that traveling with Cathan, Ethan, and Hadrian would cause him to lose himself a bit. To lose touch with his femininity. While Sondra was not the most pristine and feminine woman Kendall had ever met she was still a woman.

"I hope you find him." Kendall did not know what else to say on the subject. He didn't feel it was appropriate to press for details if he never offered any of his own.

When Sondra asked if Kendall had ever been in a brawl his face flushed a bit. "Umm, once." He did not want to lie to the Konti. He had only been in one real brawl and that had been with his brother, the day Kendall was marked. "I don't know if I'm any good but I know a little bit about how to fight." Kendall had never needed to know how to fight until after his accident. He had two older brothers who protected him. One his own he had forced himself to learn the basics of fighting. Without Layton and Kel he did not have anyone to protect him.

Kendall bit his lip as he thought. He was not sure if he knew how to fight in the way Sondra was suggesting. He knew he was more comfortable in his abilities in Reimancy and shielding, not that he was incredibly skilled in the latter. He had a feeling that magic was not allowed though. The blond was stronger than he looked although it was unclear if he was going to be strong enough for a brawl. Against his better judgement he nodded. "Yeah, I'm game." There was a fear in the pit of his stomach the moment he agreed. He knew he would regret the words. He did not want to have Hadrian paying for his expenses forever though. He wanted to be able to help with their expenses. Besides, maybe he would learn a thing or two from Sondra.
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Sondra on September 7th, 2011, 4:11 am

Sondra smiled quick and wide when Kendall agreed, as if zealous for a chance to swing at someone with impunity. Or perhaps the draw was the chance to punish herself. Either way, the Konti liked a fight, especially after a drink or two.

“Course you’re game. You’re a man of Mizahar.”
She slapped Kendall’s shoulder.
“Just dodge and wait for the other guy to get tired.”

Tapping Kendall’s jaw under his molars she added, “And then the sweet spot, here. Hit hard enough and it’ll shake a man’s skull. Little else takes ‘em down as beautifully.”

Leading Kendall over to the bout area, Sondra imparted a few more gems.
“Keep your knees bent, don’t lock up. You want to keep standing if you can.”
Here she shrugged, “Most everything turns into a ground fight when it’s for keeps, but they like you upright for brawls. Better viewing I ‘spose.”

It seemed her diction grew coarser the longer she lingered in a tavern.

“In Sunberth they had all manner of bouts, but I suspect Syliras is a bit more orderly. They’ll pair us up by gender no doubt. A man and woman team is rare so we’ll likely get separated. But you never know.”

They were getting closer and Kendall’s stomach was likely protesting at a fever pitch.

Oblivious, or likely pretending to be, Sondra turned from the bout organizer and asked Kendall a bit too cheerfully:

“Height and weight?”

Sondra
The Sinspeaker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Kendall Saarinen on September 24th, 2011, 12:48 am

Kendall blushed at Sondra's words. He opened his mouth to tell her the truth. To let her know what he really was. She deserved to know. The Konti had put him up for the two seasons that they had lived in the city. If anyone deserved the truth, it was here. Now was not the right time though. Maybe after when they did not need to focus. Procrastination was always easier than facing the truth.

The blond smiled awkwardly. "Yup… sounds good." He was embarrassed that he really would not be too much help in a fight. He took Sondra's direction to the letter though. He wanted to know as much as he could going into this fight, or fights depending on how many people they would face off against.

Kendall watched Sondra as she explained what to do and where the best places to hit were. Every few moments he would nod or mutter a uh-huh or okay. The comment about getting broken up by gender worried him though. He was not sure he would fare well without Sondra at his side.

The Azenth was nervous. Far more than he wanted to let on. He was sure Sondra could tell though. If not for the fact that it was probably obvious on his face, she was a fellow Azenth and Kendall knew just as well as any marked of Ivak how the Azenth could sense underlying emotion.

With a nervous gulp, Kendall managed to squeak out his height and weight. "5'10 and 170 pounds." He was sure even a person shorter and lighter than him could take him in a fight. They did need money though...
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook