[Kabrin Road] Me, Of Little Faith [Kendall]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

Postby Victor Lark on June 11th, 2011, 9:20 pm

Summer 3, 511

To stray only a few feet from the road was to stumble on a peculiarly marked tree. Every time a branch broke from its stalk, there had been carved some unintelligible, inconsistent symbol, white and wet and fresh. Some similar drawings were also strewn in the dirt near the base of the tree, if the day’s fauna had not trampled it, like a circle of protection around both the plant and the wooden traveller’s box that sat beside it. A keen eye might even notice a man among the green leaves, perched against the trunk with his legs wrapped around a thick branch.

His eyes were closed deliberately, his face twisted into an affected calm. Sometimes he leaned down so that his hands gripped the living wood, but something he sat up again, distracted. It was not his first attempt at meditation, but neither was it any more successful than the others. He did not even know what it was, really, only that the priests back home did it, and could speak to Rhysol himself. Sometimes he prayed, talking to air as if someone could hear him, and sometimes he just thought, trying to find some sort of inspiration in it all.

Now, he thought he could reach out with his own energy, just think and push and try. He was delirious with hunger, fatigue, and the loss of his only companion for so many weeks. He did not realize how close he was to success, but all he felt was desperation. His palms were still red, dry tears carved through the filth on his face. For a moment, he thought he felt a glimmer of blue light in the darkness of his mind’s eye. Then he lost his balance.

His surprised voice sent a cloud of birds flying in panic. There was only air between him and the ground, and a series of sharp, snapping branches. His hands groped at the rough bark for an eternity before he managed to grab a large knot in the tree. Body swinging and arms aching from the sudden loss of momentum, Victor found himself hanging, breathing hard, stunned. He looked down and saw that he was still too far to drop comfortably to the ground, so he carefully slid down to a low hanging limb and took a seat there to reorient himself. His head knocked against the wood behind him and he exhaled heavily, one hand on his chest as if it would soothe his flustered heart.
Victor Lark
How does that make you feel?

Words: 412831
Joined roleplay: April 8th, 2011, 8:33 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Kendall Saarinen on June 25th, 2011, 3:39 am

A small ripple of worry was starting to flow through Kendall. It had started to poke at him recently and it seemed as though each passing day made it worse. He was not sure why he was worried. He had chalked it up mostly to the fact that he was heading to Ravok. He expected a certain man to be waiting there. The one who had put him in his unfortunate situation. There was no way to be sure though. Part of him, most likely the more masculine part of him wanted to see the man. It wanted to make him feel pain and beg for mercy. The more feminine part of him was scared to death. As a girl he never would have thought of hurting someone else. Maybe his brothers when they started to mess with him a bit but even then it was play fighting. Like a couple of lion cubs learning how to fight together. It was all in good spirit. There was no good spirit in what Kendall felt now. Somewhere inside if him he wanted to inflict pain and the fact that he did not notice that might have added to his anxiety. A walk would calm that though. A nice simple walk in the wilds. Hopefully it would fair better than his trip to Syliras.

As he walked he tried to clear his mind. He pushed the thoughts of anger and anxiety away in a form of mediation. He felt the wind blow through his blond hair and felt a small smile poke at his lips as he felt that it was growing longer. He had hated the shorter haircut that he had gotten earlier in the season. It had been too boyish for his tastes. Of course, he was a boy. He tried not to dwell on the fact as he walked. Thinking like that only led to problems, especially now that his mind was so agitated and anxious.

He felt his mind growing calmer. He breathed slowly. In and out, in and out. He was slowly becoming more musical the more he distanced himself from Zeltiva, his home. He found a bit of peace in the rhythm of things. The rhythm of the wind in the leaves, the waves lapping on the shore, the sound of Hadrian's heart beat against his pale chest. He smiled softly at the thought, his mind falling deeper into calm. He had found rhythm, or so he thought.

A squawking of birds and the sound of breaking branches booted Kendall out of his rarely found serenity. He let out a small yelp, a bit like a scared child as he looked around to find the source of the sound. He was a skittish person. A bit more than a man his age should have been. He had the constant fear that someone would snatch him up again and take him away. He let his Djed flow through him, awakening his autistic vision. He was still unskilled in his art but it had helped him out in a pinch before. He saw a faint light ahead of him located at the foot of a tree. He was not sure if he should move forward in case the person, or creature wanted to attack him. He moved slow, his palms held open wide, ready to release Res if needed to create his fire. When he found the person who was creating the aura he calmed a bit seeing that they seemed a lit worn out. They would be less likely to attack and if they did they would not be able to dodge his fire as fast. He still kept his pace slow like a careful animal until he was a good distance away from the person but close enough to make eye contact. "Are you okay?" He knew very little about medicine but the man did not seem to be in need of too much medical help. "You seem a bit flustered. Not the best way to be out here, especially with all of the hungry creatures." He worried about the way he tended to introduce himself to people. He tended to seem a bit more instructive than friendly.
"I'm burning and I'm blacking my lungs.
Boy you know it feels good with fire back on your tongue."
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen
Like John Allerdyce but hotter

Words: 595666
Joined roleplay: November 6th, 2010, 1:04 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Victor Lark on June 26th, 2011, 8:57 am

Before his heart could settle again, a voice broke the forest’s murmuring silence. Victor started and fell, but he had enough of his wits to keep his balance on the low branch just long enough that the tumble to the ground was of his own accord. He faltered against the solid earth, shamefully clumsy, and was forced to lean on the tree to disguise his disorientation and fatigue. It took a moment for the words to register in his ears.

The haggard man frowned like an offended cretin for a few moments. Then he exclaimed a single syllable of laughter, considered it a moment, and added a few more. The air was filled with those delirious rasps of amusement for a short while, but his face was too tired to hold a smile for long. As he recovered, his expression fell to something unintentionally stern. “Flustered, am I? Well, I don’t know about that, but I am certainly not okay. What of you?” He flung an arm out at the man, gesturing to the whole of his body. “You’re fresh. You’ve got your wits. How far will you go, on this gods-forsaken path, before you become flustered? How long—”

Any hope he had for an answer lifted from his straying conscious like sweat in a breeze. Victor’s dark eyes had discovered the abnormal heterochromia of the stranger’s, and he was instantly distracted. He pushed heavily from the carved-up tree and swept suddenly toward him until their chests remained only inches apart. There was a semblance of his old grace in the movement, as if the interaction had recovered in him some lost energy that he did not know he had left. Aside from one girl that lurked at the back of his mind, this man was the first intelligent creature Victor had encountered in nearly a season. He had not gone savage in that time, however. If the man retreated then, he would not pursue him. If he stood his ground, the traveller would lift a questioning hand to the single green eye, which might notice a dreadful red stain on his calloused finger...

He wanted to see what those eyes would do. Hers had been sad and empty, more often than not, and the tedium of her emotions had become her end. But here was a new specimen, an endless well of undiscovered reactions and unconquered secrets. He was a fascinated moth to the Azenth’s flame.

The drooping curiosity on his face rose into feigned contempt. “Oh, what do you know of hungry creatures?” He accused, suddenly stiff and angry. “I know I am close to a city now, for I see before me a soft boy, who knows nothing but fear when faced with the stomachs of wolves and glassbeaks.” Victor was quite aware of how accurately he described himself, at the beginning of his journey, so many weeks ago. The best charades were based in truth, after all. He continued, “You’d best turn back now! The gods have no eyes for the wilderness between cities; they will not save you!”
Victor Lark

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Kendall Saarinen on July 1st, 2011, 1:24 am

A flicker of annoyance flashed into Kendall's gaze as he looked at the man. The blond really needed to stop talking to random people that he found sitting around. The last one, a short thief from Sunberth, had been less than friendly. Perhaps Kendall just needed to take the hint. People did not take to his unwanted comments as well as they did when he was female. It was yet another painful reminder that he was no longer who he once was. Painful, but like most things, necessary.

Out of curiosity, Kendall let his auristic vision flicker into focus. He still was not too skilled in the art but he tried to practice when he could. The man's body was outlined by a pale red color with veins of orange swimming though. Anger, the red and annoyance, the orange. He felt a bit uncomfortable but he masked the feeling with an air of anger within himself. This was not for anyone's benefit but his own. He was embarrassed that he had set off the first person that he met on his way to Ravok. He opened his mouth to answer the man but before his lips could form the words he saw the man approaching him, a more curious color, one could call it a light almost white lilac, finding it's way into his aura.

As the man stood close to Kendall, he silently thanked Ivak, or which ever God had nudged him into his current body, that he was taller than the man before him. He might not have been put into the strongest of bodies but he definitely was taller than most that he met. He felt a fire alight within him when the man's hand traveled up to his eye. A shockingly hotter hand than most wrapped around the man's wrist. He hated when attention was brought to his heterochromia. "I would appreciate it if you kept your distance and your hands out of my face." He pulled the man's hand away from his eyes, barely hiding his growing distaste for the man. If he was not going to be kind, why should Kendall?

A small smirk itched at the side of Kendall's lips. "Do you think I have never been outside of Syliras? I have made it through these wildlands once before and I was smart enough not to face it alone." He was talking quite big in comparison to how he truly felt inside. He was scared of the wilds, deathly scared. He had barely made it out of the wildlands on his way to Syliras. Something in him, the same force that had led him almost to end his brother's encouraged him to talk himself up, to prove to this man that he was stronger, more resilient. "That is unless you have companions scattered around." In a way, he hoped he didn't. He wanted to make the man seem stupid for traveling alone. "I've faced off against wolves, a pack of them in fact. You really don't have the grounds to be passing judgment on me. You know nothing about me."

When the man spoke of the Gods Kendall chuckled slightly. "And you know so much about the Gods? What about Caiyha and Oriana? I'm sure they keep an eye in the wilds." He could not help but think of Hadrian as they spoke. The man knew much more about the Gods than he did. "There have to be a few marked individuals running around the wilds too. I'm sure the Gods keep an eye on them too." His eyes watched the man carefully. "It would be hard to believe that there would be anywhere that the Gods did not watch. They are Gods if I am not mistaken. It is hard to believe there is Godless land."
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Victor Lark on July 2nd, 2011, 8:14 pm

In fact, the flames that had danced through Victor’s aura reflected something between anger and annoyance: delirium, from the fatigue of the journey and the frequent dreams of blood, sometimes manifested as petulance. Kendall would discover that the colors of the Ravokian’s various emotions flashed to something different with every slight stimulus, but they were never very bright. If the aurist looked hard enough, he would discover a shade of amusement behind the apparent anger of his outward demeanor.

The peculiar heat of his grasp still lingered on Victor’s wrist as he dropped his arms to listen to the inevitable retort. His shoulders bounced briefly as his lungs recovered; his body felt strain even to speak for too long, but he would not let the stranger know that. On the other hand, he was instantly fooled by the smooth transition from surprise to collection to contempt. His mouth hung to respond with something equally smug, but no words came. The accusations were unsettlingly true, and made the bold Ravokian feel foolish. But then,

“You know nothing about me.”

Lips that had once pursed with the beginnings of embarrassed rage suddenly spread into a satisfied smile. All hostilities, both false and true, evaporated from him for the sake of warm curiosity. “I do not!” He agreed, stepping towards him again. They were not as close as before, but still Victor tested the boundaries of the not-soft man’s bubble. In another swift movement, he stood to one side, hoping to force that multicolored gaze to turn with him. “Why don’t you enlighten me?”

He folded his arms at more talk of the gods. As much as he had grown to dislike and distrust them, he found an attractive mystery in his ignorance. He was intrigued by the unfamiliar names that fell from the man’s secretly nervous lips. “But you say the gods watch their marked. I would assume they take no heed to much else. No one can see everything at once!” He did not know how he revealed his inexperience then. “I do not think the gods saw me between here and Ravok. I saw no sign of them, at least.”

Mention of his own adventures simultaneously bored and aggravated Victor, so he turned the conversation back to the other. “What makes you think they have any eyes for you, specifically? Do you believe that prayers to distant powers will protect you?”
Victor Lark

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Kendall Saarinen on July 11th, 2011, 10:36 pm

Kendall's mismatched eyes watched the man carefully. He was not sure what he would say to him. The blond did not owe the man an explanation in anyway. "Why should I? I don't even know your name." He kept his auristic vision on the man as he walked closer. Kendall's hand rose and pressed against the man's chest, giving him a warm warning to keep his distance. A mismatched gaze followed the man as he shifted his position. The man made him nervous but he would not let on about it. "I'll enlighten you on one thing though. You better keep your distance. I don't appreciate being observed like some animal." The last comment was directed to the man's observation of Kendall's eyes. The pyromancer's words were sharp and serious. "What about you? Are you in the mood for sharing?"

A small smirk played at the edge of Kendall's lips as he listened to the man talk. "They are Gods not people. Don't you think that can watch a bit more than a group of people. They are divine beings. They are divine for a reason." He did not judge the man on his ideas on the Gods. In truth, ideas of the divine were up to the individual. He only made comments because his own ideals were being questioned. "You don't think the Gods saw you? You've seen one of them your entire trip." His eyes looked over to a squirrel skittering up the side of a tree. "You are in nature. The plants and animals are Caiyha's domain. She is the Goddess of nature. When you are among the plants and animals you are in her sights." He shrugged slightly as his eyes turned back to the man. "I suppose all thoughts about the divine are up to you though. I cannot preach religion. I get enough preaching from others never to want to repeat the act."

Kendall felt a spark of annoyance at the man. He was not about to confide in him about his connection to Ivak. "I suppose it is just wishful thinking. No harm in thinking that all the Gods are out to get you, even if they are." He eyed the man playfully. "Besides like you said, I'm just some soft boy. Why would they take their time to pick me out from all of the other big burly warriors to watch over some sheltered boy like me?
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Victor Lark on July 15th, 2011, 5:37 pm

Shivering against the peculiar heat, Victor stepped back as he was pushed. Both palms rose to the air in mocking surrender as his expression adopted a look of annoyed compliance. But he could not hold back his grin for long. Something flashed in those unusual eyes as the man explained his opinion of Victor’s appraisal, something that made the Ravokian think that there might be a mask in his defensive words. He needed to see behind it.

So he latched on to that knowledge of divinity and djed, hoping to discover the other human’s true sentiments by frustrating him with belligerent ignorance. His aura ran with mischievous azure. “Ah, but you must preach!” He said, stumbling towards the tree from which he had fallen. A single stained finger traced the white line in the wood where the dagger at his side had carved one of many rudimentary symbols: a flourish of a line topped with a star. “If I had known of Caihya, would I have offended her by harming her precious plant?” Probably, he thought, but did not say. “I think not!”

He turned to lean against the trunk of the tree, eyeing the man from a distance. His arms folded as he paused for a thought, then moved a finger to pick at his thirsty lips. “You contradict yourself. I accused you of softness and you spoke of wolves. Now you are soft, and not an animal, and not a preacher. You are a liar, I think. And not a very good one.”

Victor straightened and stepped toward him again. The new separation was only inches greater than before; he tread an invisible line as if there were a shield to prevent his approach. He wanted to move closer. He wanted to see if the man would lay a hand on him again, and if that hand was truly as warm as he remembered. But he decided that disturbing that circle of comfort would probably not result in anything useful. Instead, he leaned forward and added, “Why would they pick you? You know more about the gods than I. Do you know who they mark, and why?” A beat gave rise to a broad smile. “Please don’t lie.”
Victor Lark

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Kendall Saarinen on August 29th, 2011, 6:09 am

Kendall eyed Victor darkly. While he was the one to initiate the conversation, he wished he hadn't. He knew not all people were kind, or even respectful for that matter, but that did not stop him from being annoyed by the man's insistence to dig further into their conversation and in turn, into him, although Kendall was not entirely aware of how much Victor was figuring out.

"I don't know much about Caiyha but plants heal just like people do." Kendall did not know the man, nor did he feel as though he could make assumptions about him. He would regardless though. "You hardly seem like the type to worry about plants anyways. You clearly cannot even respect someone's personal space without being urged in the right direction. How is to say you give two mizas as to the safety of a plant?" While Kendall respected Caiyha and her domain, he was not some tree hugger who was out to protect every bush and blade of grass. His words were not said to stop Victor from marking up the tree. They were said in a biting attempt to keep a strong front against the man.

Normally Kendall would have gotten upset at someone calling his bluff but the man seemed like he could hardly even stand. What threat could he be? If anything, he seemed like someone who took themselves, and their deductive skills for that matter, a tad too seriously. "Or I was just trying to prove a point and being rhetorical." A small smirk came to his lips. "What do you think I'm lying about? Why would I waste my time lying to some man I've just met?"

Kendall's eyes narrowed as he watched the man move closer. His aura seemed to glow with a sense of curiosity. "The Gods mark whoever they please. It's usually those who impress them or worship them. At times, they mark those who need their help." This was said in pure honesty, just like the man had asked. "I'm sure of a God decided to mark me, or even you for that matter, it would be for a reason. We might understand it, we might not." A sly smirk played at the edge of Kendall's lips. "Is that enough truth for you?"
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Victor Lark on September 15th, 2011, 6:06 pm

The haughty smile that had engulfed the whole of Victor’s posture suddenly drooped as the stranger’s sharp tongue cut holes in each of his arguments and accusations. A frown twisted on the Ravokian’s gaunt face. His distaste for the one-uppance reflected the sort of resentment that only a true soft man would feel upon learning about mere social weakness; his arms fell to his sides and he took a defeated step backward.

Unlike Victor’s, the assumptions that followed his were mostly true. He did not care about Caiyha or her plants and his claims to the other man’s lies were based in mere postulation. Usually he was better than that. He had spent his life figuring out how to read what others somehow knew intuitively: when to lie, when to call a bluff, when to laugh or when to console. Victor had thought he had finally gotten good at it. He was tired, so tired... but at least he had not revealed that, he thought. “Why wouldn’t you lie?” He spat back, convinced that he was speaking to an honest man. “Why not make yourself a character to a stranger, if you could?”

Maybe because he was forgetful or, more likely, because he was defiant, Victor stepped forward and into the man’s invisible circle. He was not nearly as close as he could have been, but he liked to think he was trying someone’s patience. He had already decided that the object was to annoy: if he could not do anything else, he would do that.

“Anyway, no truth is enough truth. There is always more of it, more to learn and more to tell. Tell me, truth-teller, why is your so-called personal space so important? What are you afraid of?” The question reminded him of a certain cat, one who had answered it truthfully and painfully. His fingertips and the balls of his palms were still pink with the mark of her blood. Glancing away to distract himself from the thought, he reached to his belt. Suddenly he was waggling his dagger it at the blue eye, then the green one, and then he tossed it to the ground. A gesture of peace, perhaps, to assuage the presumed fear. The force of the slight exertion brought his foot up higher than he would have liked; in order to recover from his imbalance, he stepped closer again. “Do you think a god will bless a prudish coward?”

He did not know him. Gods be damned, he did not know him enough to even conjure up an accurate insult. The next step forward was intentional. It brought him closer than an arm’s distance. His eyes poured into the heterochromia before him and, in the distraction of fatigue, he did not notice how his brow begged candidly for some affirmation.
Victor Lark

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Kendall Saarinen on September 24th, 2011, 10:19 pm

The man worried Kendall, even if he would not show it. He was smart, more smart than he expected him to be. He seemed to be skilled in his words. Kendall was not sure if he could describe himself as the same. When he spoke up though, Kendall was quick to retort. He did not want the man thinking he had outsmarted him.

"Because I don't need to be." The truth was, he was a character to everyone he met. "I'm not a child who feels the need to indulge in making up guises for myself just for the shyke of it." Once again, he really was. Everything about who he was, was a guise but he would try to hide that. Once again, turning to hide himself when he claimed he didn't need to.

Kendall's glare darkened when the man tried to get close to him once again. Did he even listen? What really made him wonder was why the man seemed to be going out of his way to push at his buttons. Perhaps he was letting the man know a little too much about him, even if he was not saying much. His actions were telling so much more.

"My fears are none of your business." Could it have been that the man had hit a nerve? Kendall had not always had such a hard time with personal space. When he was a girl he rarely even kept it. He liked to keep some room between himself and others for the plain reason that if they tried to attack, he would have time to defend himself.

Mismatched eyes watched as the man took a dagger from his belt. "Personal space is necessary for survival. If I allowed you closer that dagger which you are pointing at me could be harder to evade, if you are thinking of attacking me with it." He let a small smile come to his lips when he saw the dagger fall to the ground. "The Gods bless who they please. They don't bless the dead though… except Uldr and his Nuits. What good am I to a God if I just let you walk up to me without knowing what you are capable of?" He chuckled softly. "Petch, that dagger could have been in my throat if you had wanted it to be."

The man was strange and that meant a lot coming from Kendall. He tried to keep an open mind given his predicament but something about the man before him rubbed him the wrong way. The blond let his auristics slip into view as he watched the man. "You really have a knack for questions don't you? Makes you seem a little self-righteous. What makes you think you have all of the answers?" We waited and watched the man's aura, hoping to see it spike in retaliation to his question. Judging by how the man had acted before, he was not sure how he would react to his words. For all Kendall knew, the man like take pleasure in it.
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook