Swimming Skill for Charoda

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Postby Telos on June 14th, 2011, 8:50 pm

Sorry if this has already been addressed somewhere else, but I've always wondered how the swimming skill was handled with Charoda. All Charoda can swim, obviously. In fact, it stands to reason that ALL Charoda are Master-level swimmers. But it also stands to reason that some Charoda would be better swimmers than others. But it seems a waste of skill points to train in the swimming skill as part of a Charoda character's starting package, since that would be like training a land-dwelling character in the "walking" skill.

Also, another question I've been pondering relating to Charoda is where do you post if you're nearby Charbosi but not actually within the city limits? Do you just post in the Suvan Sea and specify that you're in the general area of Charbosi?
Telos
Scavenger

Words: 8743
Joined roleplay: June 2nd, 2011, 5:52 am
Race: Charoda
Character sheet

Postby Wrenmae on June 14th, 2011, 9:13 pm

I would think that Body Building and Acrobatics might supplement a swimming style for better swimmers. Body building for stronger, perhaps faster, swimmers and Acrobatics for those who can move their bodies better in the water.

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Kit Rowan on June 14th, 2011, 11:10 pm

It's much like a land-dweller's 'Running' skill, I've always assumed, since that would make sense. Meaning that you can swim for longer and do it faster with it than most others.
Unless Otherwise Stated, Expect Kit To Have Already Disguised Herself With Illusionism As 'Shy' In Every Ravok Thread.
Kit Rowan
Acrobat, Sorceress, Rogue

Words: 433379
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2011, 11:37 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (2)

Postby Rage on June 15th, 2011, 12:21 am

Hi Telos!

As what Kit had said, having higher points in Swimming means you swim faster and can do it for much longer. I believe you may have confused the Charodae's ability to breathe underwater to being able to swim very well. To illustrate, let's say a newbie Charoda PC challenges a Mizahar version of Michael Phelps into a swimming race. In this scenario, I'd put my money on Mr. Phelps as the only advantage the Charoda have over him is the fact that the Charoda does not have to surface for air. Still, Mr. Phelps' skill will have him win almost 9 out of 10 times. But if all things were equal in terms of skill, the Charoda will win because of their streamlined bodies, webbed hands and feet, gills, etc, which give them the advantage.

As for your question on where to post, you may do so under the Charbosi forum or The Jungle Wilds forum. Despite the name, the latter actually covers the area outside the cities in Falyndar, including the waters. I suggest adding a Location tag under the Timestamp at the start of every thread. See the example below:

Random writer wrote:Timestamp: 11th of Summer, 511 AV

It was a dark and stormy...sea? (Etc, etc, etc...)

I hope this helps.

Notice: I will not be available for modding in the foreseeable future until I've cleared up my backlog of Miz stuff (PC and ST-wise). Hopefully, it's a temporary thing, but we'll see. I will still grade your threads, however.
Rage
Devourer of Souls

Words: 109059
Joined roleplay: August 5th, 2010, 4:18 am
Race: Staff account
Office

Postby Telos on June 15th, 2011, 2:24 am

OK, that all makes sense, but shouldn't Charoda be awarded swimming xp every time they swim fast or over a long distance in a thread since it would improve their endurance and technique?
Telos
Scavenger

Words: 8743
Joined roleplay: June 2nd, 2011, 5:52 am
Race: Charoda
Character sheet

Postby Leviathan on June 27th, 2011, 7:55 pm

It depends on who grades your thread.

Such as, if I were to grade a thread where a Charoda was underwater, I wouldn't give points in swimming unless the Charoda was pushing him/herself to swim faster, farther, or through difficult terrain, maybe attempting to chase/escape something/situations.

When I grade, I take into account the level of skill the PC already has prior to the thread being graded, then the difficulty the PC had (the closer to realism makes me lean more to advancement, too unrealistic and it may not earn any) performing the skill, and so on. So a Charoda that's just coasting through the sea, chatting it up with friends and generally moving at the pace equivalent to a land-dweller walking, I would award no points. But two Charodae racing, as two humans might in a foot race, that's a different story.

Walking = no running exp
Running = running exp

Casual Swimming/Floating = no swimming exp
Actual Swimming = swimming exp

That's just my way of justifying how I would grade a Charoda with their swimming skills.
Bad News Everybody. School is picking up, Exams are beginning to happen, homework is growing time consuming, I may soon be evicted from my apartment, I'm dealing with severe and physical fights among several of my best friends, and I can't seem to find a time to get much needed sleep. I'm terribly sorry, but don't expect to see much of me for a long while.
Leviathan
Adapt, Migrate, or Die

Words: 281278
Joined roleplay: July 25th, 2010, 6:57 pm
Race: Staff account
Character sheet
Office
Scrapbook