Is this Syliras? (Open) (Somewhere Just Outside the Spires)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built high in the massive branches of Taldera's bloodwood forest, The Spires is a city crafted by the peaceful and scholarly Jamoura. Considered a haven for scholars and sages Mizahar-wide, The Spires is a mecca of philosophy and science that draws people from far and wide with its promise of deeper thinking and higher reasoning.

Postby Wing on June 24th, 2011, 12:10 am

Is this Syliras?

Summer 14, 511 AV

Wing was so exhausted she could barely fly. The constant maneuvering around tree's was not worth it, and though she loathed the idea of trudging along the ground like a human her sack was getting heavy and she wouldn't be able to fly much longer that day. Eventually Wing did come to the ground, her miza filled sack chinking loudly as she dropped it from the air and landed next to it. She had been traveling for longer than she could remember and still no sign of Syliras, or any of the other cities the Nevar had mentioned nearly a year ago when she was expelled from Riverfall. Wing had no idea where she was, or that she was in fact no where near the city she was looking for.

Wing's hand fell to the bladed gloves tucked into her belt, the only garment she wore, as she fondly recalled the Akalak leader. He was the only person who had ever shown her an once of kindness that wasn't under magical influence or trying to use her for their own gains. She wished she had asked him more questions, perhaps gotten a map. The few travelers she had encountered since leaving Riverfall had all treated her with hostility. She had been unable to even get near enough to them to try calming them with magic, and so Wing simply wandered in hopes of stumbling across the elusive Syliras.

And now she found herself in a massive forest filled with the tallest trees she had ever seen. She had been flying around the forest for days, unable to find civilization or a way out. The place was filled with large and dangerous animals which Wing tried to avoid for the most part, except for when she needed food. Her hope was not completely lost, however. A few days ago she had come across the remains of a campsite, and had been finidng more and more evidence of sentient life the longer she stayed. Wing had the creeping suspicion that she was drawing close to a city, but was it Syliras? If it wasn't how would they react to a Zith? Would she be met with the same hatred and predjudice she had in Riverfall, or was she finally nearing a place to call home?

Wherever she was it didn't really matter right then, she was exhausted and needed to rest. Wing plopped down next to a tree, her wings drooping lazily over her shoulders, and took a few moments to catch her breath. She knew she shouldn't rest on the ground, it was dangerous, but she was too tired to find a place to rest in the trees at the moment. Besides, a few minutes rest to catch her breath should be alright. Just a few chimes, Wing thought as her eyelids grew heavy and started to close, and within the bell she had fallen asleep. Wing didn't know how long she slept, but her keen ears picked up the signs of another nearby and Wing's eyes snapped open and she jumped to her feet.

"Who's there?" she said in common, trying to blink the sleep from her eyes as she flexed her claws and looked for the source of the noise.

OOCSo.. I hope this is okay, but I didn't want to post at the gates just yet, I would like for someone to find me first and lead me to the city. If you would prefer I move this to a wilderness forum I am fine with that, but I figured since I am so close it would be easier to do it here. I will post in the gates after I am led to them.
I want what I cannot have.. and it is agony.
Wing
Player

Words: 37851
Joined roleplay: March 19th, 2010, 11:18 pm
Race: Zith
Character sheet

Postby Greth on June 24th, 2011, 3:04 pm

Exhausted, defeated, Greth's tall frame fell to the floor with a heavy thud. The human was almost upon him. He reached out for his bow, and his fingers almost touched it. Almost. The bow was out of reach... so near, but so far. The human was approaching him, taking his time, as if he knew Greth couldn't move.

He pushed his body towards the bow, but he couldn't move at all. It appeared he had been glued to the ground. He pushed and flailed frantically, but the ground didn't give. He couldn't move.

The human looked down at him, a look of merciless mirth in his glinting eyes.

“I hate you,” the human said conversationally. “I have always hated you. You and your kind. You are just animals, and in the forests is where you belong; not in my city.”

The knife plunged down towards his chest, the light reflecting off its steel edge. It seemed it cut the very air as it came at him. And then, he was falling...

Greth awoke with a start. He blinked sleepily, something in his dream still whispering at the back of his mind. Something about staying in the forest... animals? For a moment, he seemed to grasp the dream, but it trickled away from his mind's fingers, like sand.

The open window near his bed was letting in the cool, crisp morning air. He got up, and shaking his head to clear his mind, picked up his quiver and his bow, and stepped out of his house. Ascending the ladder to the outer petals, he descended down to the forest floor, plucking an apple and biting into it as he went. There seemed to be a spring in his step; adrenaline was already entering his blood at a slow rate. He had decided to hunt today.

Taking the last bite off his apple, he dropped the core at the foot of a tree, then slowly began to move forward. Masking his scent and making his body blend into the surroundings, he looked around for a target.

A deer moved cautiously through the forest, as though it had sensed something was wrong. It took a few steps, then paused, then resumed its movement and continued on its way.

Greth, just waiting for such a chance, unslung his bow from his back and withdrew an arrow from his quiver, allowing the arrow to sit comfortably between his first and second finger. He wrapped his fingers around the string, then drew it until his forefinger touched the right corner of his lips. Carefully sighting his target, he released the arrow. It flew perfectly, but Greth hadn't noticed the treebranch drooping too low. His arrow hit the side of the branch, and was thrown off-course. The deer, noticing the sound and the movement, ran to Greth's right and quickly disappeared from sight.

Greth, releasing the tension from his muscles, sighed discontentedly. He moved forward, carelessly now, and bent down to retrieve his fallen arrow. From the corner of his eye, he saw a quick movement from near a tree to his left. Stepping quickly into the protective shadow of the tree nearest him and instinctively camouflaging himself, he looked with awe as a Zith straightened herself and called out, “who's there?”

Her slightly drooped posture and her sleepy eyes told Greth that she had been on the road for quite a while. However, he hadn't ever met a Zith, let alone talking to one. He lowered his bow, but didn't move.

After a few seconds of considering, he stepped out from his cover, letting his skin return to normal.

“It is I,” he called softly, kindly. He was in front and to the right of her, so he thought she might not have noticed him stepping out from the shadows. Raising his gaze, he looked straight at her for the first time.
Greth
Player

Words: 15523
Joined roleplay: May 31st, 2011, 6:29 pm
Race: Jamoura
Character sheet

Postby Jason Alexander on June 25th, 2011, 3:23 am

OOCGreth seeing as we are meeting in thread on summer 2. We will know each other here. I wasnt totally sure what time of day it is, so I went with night. If I need to fix it, tell me.
Sitting out in the evening sun, a few hundred feet from one of the staircases to the city, Jason sat crossed legs, with a note pad in his lap and a quill laying across it. In one hand he held what appeared to be a mushroom.

As he looked it over, he would pause to right something down and then continue to look it over. As he continued to look it over for the hundredth time, he began to draw it. Although his drawing skills were nowhere near amazing, he himself would understand them. As he stopped he looked down and reread his notes:

“Mushroom #12.

Appearance, short only roughly an two inches in height and an inch in diameter. The coloring of the mushroom is a slight grey with dark brown gills, the coloring would suggest it would be nonpoisonous… Need more research to detect and poison within the specimen.

Location, found on the underside of a dead redwood, it is suggested that like most other fugues it requires damp, cool, and dark place.

Notes to self, check within mothers book to see if there is any other references.”

Once he has reread them and found them to his liking he packed it away into his bag and looked around, it had gotten getting dark, looking around and getting ready to head back to the city he heard something. The sounds of flapping wings, he looked up and gulped.. Closing his eyes and bringing forth the gassy res from his palms, forming it into a small ball.

“Fire Light” He commanded as a ball erupted into flames.

He headed off into the woods following the sound of the wings, knowing it was a bad idea but for some reason he felt he had to. As it got darker, reaching down he unsheathed his dagger and continued.

It seemed like he lost the sound of the wings awhile ago, but he kept heading in the same direction, a few times he thought he had seen and animal but the flames in his hands scared him away. Two problems were forming, first if he traveled much further, he would lose his way and second the effort of keeping even this small fire going was getting to him. He was becoming more tired by the minute, but he needed it ready to go if he found something hostile.

As he traveled a few minutes further he had to stop, the effort of keeping the fire going for so long was taking its toll, wiping the blood from his nose he moved the flames from his hand into the small fire pit he made, and sat close to it. It was going to be a long night, looking to his left he found a long piece of wood, taking it in his hands and drawing his dagger he had put away while making the pit he began to crave the tip, not really knowing what he was doing, but keeping his mind at ease.

Waking up the next morning, not ever remembering about falling asleep, he found the fire had died and his stick still in his hands, the dagger had fallen a few feet away. Sheathing his dagger and taking a look at the stick, it was a foot or so shorter than him, prefect height. He took his new "staff" and looked around, about to start heading back to the city when he heard it, a crack in the twigs around him. He looked over his shoulder and decided to travel just a bit further.

“It is I” said a voice from the left after a ten minute walk, looking he saw nothing, but in front of him he saw a female… but different she had wings. A ZITH!!! Oh gods, he was in trouble… Looking back to his left, still seeing nothing.

“I am Jason, human of the Spires, guest among the Jamoura. I mean you no harm.”
Last edited by Jason Alexander on June 25th, 2011, 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Jason Speaking in Common" "Jason Speaking in Nadar-Canoch" "Other People Speaking"
Jason Alexander
Creator of the Cure

Words: 63344
Joined roleplay: February 2nd, 2010, 2:49 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Wing on June 25th, 2011, 2:06 pm

OOCActually, Greth already established that it was morning in his post.

Wing's eyes widened and she stared in awe as the massive creature revealed itself, stepping from the shadow of one of the many massive trees that filled the forest. It was huge, larger than anything she had ever seen, easily towering over Wing at twice her height. Even the Akalaks who were known for their height and muscular build did not compare to this beast. It was covered in black fur; it's hands were so large they could likely crush Wing's head with no problem. But it was not a beast, was it? It had spoken to her, and it carried a weapon. Beasts did not speak or carry weapons. Could this be why Nevar had sent her here? Were these massive creatures what lived in the city of Syliras? It sort of made sense to her. Being such as this one would not fear Zith as humans did, and clearly this one did not fear her, so perhaps they would allow Wing to live among them.

Then there was another voice, and Wing turned to see a human. Normally humans ran at the sight of her, but this one introduced himself and claimed he meant her no harm. Wing didn't know what the Spires were, if they were a city or perhaps a human tribe, or what a Jamoura was, but if he meant her no harm she was in luck. Wing relaxed visibly, though inside she was still quite terrified. She didn't want to agitate the giant creature, and humans were untrustworthy, so she did her best to appear casual. They had both spoken to her in common. Wing had only used her words a handful of times during her travels, and most people were too busy running from or attacking her to respond. "It is I," it had said. What a strange way to introduce oneself.. but it made sense. What was the creature if not itself. Or perhaps these creatures did not have names. Zith did not have names either, at least not in the sense that humans thought of them, and her own name was taken from the human tongue. And then there was this Jason, who was from the Spires.. whatever that was.

Wing considered her words carefully, wanting to make sure she pronounced them all correctly. "My name is Wing. I am pleased to meet both of you.." Wing trailed off, not knowing what to call the large creature. After a moment's hesitation she continued. "I came from a place called Riverfall in search of the city known as Syliras? Is this Syliras? I was told it was a place where people would be more accepting of my kind... Zith." Wing hoped that they understood her, and that she didn't somehow anger them. She was prepared to use her magic if she had to, but wasn't sure if it would make a difference quick enough to stop the giant thing or the human from getting to her if they attacked. And running seemed like a bad idea also. The large creature was holding a bow, and unless it had merely found it and picked it up randomly, it was reasonable to assume the creature knew how to use the weapon. In the end Wing merely waited for one of them to respond, prepared for the worst. If they decided to attack her, she would fight with everything she had.
Wing
Player

Character sheet

Postby Greth on June 25th, 2011, 4:08 pm

Greth watched passively as the Zith stiffened, then seemed to relax. Looking down at her, he realized, for the first time, how she must feel. He put on a smile for her benefit, although his left hand, which was holding the longbow, did not relax. He knew of these creatures; the predators of the dark, the flying creatures that swooped down on their pray from above. He couldn't trust them. He had just heard of them, but still, he couldn't trust them.

At the sound of Jason's voice, he turned to look at him. A look of recognition, and then a nod of greeting, was given to him, then he turned back to the Zith called Wing.

He didn't trust her enough to give her a name, let alone to reveal more about the Jamoura and the Spires. He didn't approve of Jason giving so much away, but Wing asking about Syliras meant she didn't notice, or she didn't know about the Spires. Or... she was acting, coaxing them to lead her into the city.

“No,” he said carefully, “this is not Syliras. This is the Redwood forest. You are quite a way away from Syliras.” He considered for a moment, then, tapping his lower lip in thought, added, “I don't think Syliras would be a good place to be in, anyway. That, as I hear, is a settlement which is entirely filled with humans. I don't think humans quite like your kind?”

Of course, Greth knew the answer. However, talking to this creature—if truly she was a Zith—would make him able to know her better and judge things more wisely. He couldn't offer to lead her into the Spires. As far as he had found during the few days he had been in the city, they had a rule—even though no one mentioned it—that someone should first find their way into the city and take the first step, before they would be greeted by everyone else. Zith, as he had been told, would not be the kind you would lead into an entirely hidden and camouflaged city at first sight.
Greth
Player

Character sheet

Postby Jason Alexander on June 25th, 2011, 9:10 pm

OOCI fixed it to fit y’alls posts
Looking to his left again he seen him, a big Jamouran who he discovered to be his friend Greth. The Zith spoke then Greth, Jason focused on each of them, keeping his new staff at the ready. But as many humans and even members of other races feared the Zith, Jason would give her, wing she called herself a chance. For he was also feared and misunderstood for his craft.

“Yes, as Greth said we are a long while from my homeland. I we are near the Spires, the great city of the Jamoura’s. But unfortunately, it can only be discovered and not shown. I am sorry, I would like to keep you company if you wish. If you promise not to harm me, for I do have ways of protecting myself,” Jason said both as a welcoming invite and a threat that he shouldn’t be messed with.

Looking over to Greth, who was still standing where he was, smiling and then turning back to the Zith and waiting. A small thought crossed his head; He hoped he hadn’t made a huge mistake.
"Jason Speaking in Common" "Jason Speaking in Nadar-Canoch" "Other People Speaking"
Jason Alexander
Creator of the Cure

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

Postby Wing on June 28th, 2011, 11:49 pm

Wing was crestfallen. Not only had they both confirmed she was no where near her destination, the large one told her it was unlikely she would be accepted there anyway. Which meant that Nevar had betrayed her, just as she expected, and sent her to her death. Anger rose up in Wing, anger toward the Akalak leader, anger toward the humans, and anger towards her own kind. But just as quickly she supressed it. That was the difference between her and her barbaric kin, she had self control and the sense not to let ones emotions get themselves killed.

In the end Wing simply sighed and folded her wings down over her shoulders like a cloak. She did it for Jason, knowing that most humans had a problem with seeing exposed bodies. She didn't understand it, but if she wanted to make allies she had to play by the rules. Both of them said that they could not show her the city they spoke of, the Spires, but it was also implied that should she find it she would not be turned away. The mere fact that both the human and the jamoura creature were talking to her seemed to affirm the asumption. And then the human known as Jason offered to spend more time with her. Perhaps they both wanted to learn of her intentions. Wing nodded to herself, assuming that's what it was, and so decided she would explain herself better.

"I promise I will not hurt anyone, as long as they don't try to hurt me. As I said, I was looking for Syliras because I was told it was a place that would accept me." Wing looked at Greth, "But you say it would not. I came from Riverfall, but originally I am from a place the humans call Din. I am different from my kin. I cannot be a savage beast like they are. I want to learn from the world, to see it's sights and take in all it has to offer. Riverfall would not accept me, but would your Spires allow a Zith among their people? ...if I can find it?"
Wing
Player

Character sheet

Postby Greth on June 29th, 2011, 6:40 am

Greth watched the Zith fold over her wings in a dejected manner. His features softened, as he saw something change in her face. Someone had told her of Syliras, apparently. Or she had read about it somewhere. She had somehow come to believe that Syliras would be the place – but wouldn't she know this already? Wouldn't that book or person, tell her that that place is filled with humans? Zith-fearing humans? Quickly-acting humans?

An image came to him; the remnant of some dream: flashing eyes of a human, telling him in the forests is where he belongs, the shining tip of a knife, bearing down on him, the snarl on the human's face as he drove it down with all his strength...

He wasn't sure if this was something from his past life, or just part of a dream. Regardless, it made him shudder visibly as the image clarified in his mind's eye.

Things didn't fit. He needed to know more. Much more. But how? How to make sure she was not lying?

He remembered that she had explicitly said that she had been told about Syliras. That meant, someone should have been messing with her. Or that someone didn't have enough information.

His own, not-so-distant past came to him. He was an exception to the rule in his tribe. No matter how they bore his presence, there was something wrong. So they believed. So they acted. If this Zith was speaking the truth, she was very much like him. But was she, really telling the truth?

He sighed softly and looked aside at Jason, as if hoping for some insperation. He looked back at the Zith, and looking at her, he could tell that she had been in a lot of battles, in a lot of life-threatening situations that had hardened her up. That she would do anything, anything at all, if she had a purpose and she needed to get to it. This just made his suspicions even worse.

“My people accept anyone who seeks knowledge,” Greth told her finally,in a very friendly manner, “and it is great to know that you are an exception to the general rule.”

As he voiced the compliment, a sudden thought struck him: maybe if he acted as if he trusted her, as if he really trusted her, and meanwhile kept his attention focused on what she said, he could probably figure out if she was lying or not. Unless she was a very good liar, she would drop her guard if she'd see that everyone trusted her. That was the best thing he could do. Plus, if she was a very good liar, there was nothing anyone could do. So the best way... was to offer what Jason did. Company.

“I agree with Jason, though. You don't know the forest well, and we don't want you to have come all this way, and gotten so close, only to have something happen to you. I think we could walk together through the forest, talk, get to know each other more, things like that. And then, you will eventually find the Spires.” He paused, then added, “and two friends.”

He was curious to know of her reaction. How much friendly she was could be gauged from what she would say next. This should give him a better idea. He looked at Jason, smiling. “What do you say?”

In truth, he had felt a liking towards this Zith; the creature who shared so much with him without knowing, the creature whose determination and the will to continue living astounded him. He hoped she hadn't been lying. If so, the three of them had a lot to share. Also, he could use this time that they'd walk together through the forest for another purpose: to find out if she was telling the truth.
Greth
Player

Character sheet

Postby Jason Alexander on July 5th, 2011, 5:11 am

OOCI am sorry to both of you, I have had a busy past week and I will post now as soon as I can. Saying this, sorry for the length

Jason watched as the Zith spoke, trying not to look at the exposed parts of her body. Its not like he had never been with a woman, but this is different. Looking back up once she had covered herself.

Now turning to listen to the Jamouran, Greth spoke as if they were already friend. Even know Jason did not hate the Zith, he did not fully trust her. Watching her and looking back as he heard his name.

“I agree with Jason, though. You don't know the forest well, and we don't want you to have come all this way, and gotten so close, only to have something happen to you. I think we could walk together through the forest, talk, get to know each other more, things like that. And then, you will eventually find the Spires.” He paused, then added, “and two friends.”

Finishing he turned to Jason, with a big Jamouran grin on his face "What do you say?"

Looking from Greth to the Zith, thinking to himself 'She could be a valuable source of information. Plus she could be a friend, and if she attacked him. Greth would protect him.' He hoped.

"I am all for it, as friends we will discover secrets to this fores and the city. Together, as a group we will discover many things."
Jason Alexander
Creator of the Cure

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

Postby Wing on July 7th, 2011, 1:34 am

This was it then. Her chance. Wing had finally found people who were willing to give her a chance, and she didn't even have to resort to magic! She sensed that they still did not trust her, but she didn't blame them for that. She knew the reputation of her kind, and it had not been so long ago that she had been just like the rest of them. At least by her actions. But after being captured by the Master and seeing all that the world had to offer, even if it was through ensorceled eyes, Wing knew there was a better life out there for her somewhere. These two people, one a giant named Greth and another a human named Jason, were even willing to consider calling her friend. Wing could not have hoped for a better chance.

"I do seek knowledge," she said in response to Greth's comment. "I want to see and learn and taste and feel all the things I was deprived of among my own kind. I want to read books that aren't missing pages, and speak to people and learn of your world!"

Wing was getting excited just thinking about it, and it showed in her voice. She truly did want to learn, and to find a home. If these two became her friends she knew she would never betray them, but that was still to be seen. Wing was not a good person, though in truth she had no real desire to do anything evil either. But as far as her desire to live among other people and learn from them, she could not have been more honest. "Yes, let's walk. My wings are tired anyway. I would love to hear all about your home, and the places you have been. And do you have taverns in your Spires? I have heard wonderful things about something called ale. And cooked food, with spices that make it taste different. And do you have books? And is there magic in the Spires? I would love to learn of other magics!" Wing was full of questions, but she decided she should probably stop asking and give the pair a chance to answer, as well as ask their own questions.
Wing
Player

Character sheet

Next