Suvan Sea Development - Ideas and Requests

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Postby Aello on December 30th, 2012, 12:31 am

Whoops!

@Vasp, that thing is so creepy! *hides*

first picture submission :

second pic submission :

third pic submission :

4 :

5 :

The middle portion of the region looks like it could use some love. I think I will try something for that next. You know,

eventually...

<3 Ae
Aello
Looking For Answers

Words: 1550591
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2011, 4:52 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Vaspira on December 30th, 2012, 1:13 am

hahaha, yeah it is creepy, but it is unique so I thought it would be a good idea, it could be larger and live in some of the caves upon the shore near the sea, coming out at night to devour people walking too close to its territory or something like that anyways.

I particular like your third submission up above, they are all great, but that third one is really cute <3. It looks like a pet or something haha :).

This is me using Hypnotism.
Vaspira
Feral Beauty

Words: 151761
Joined roleplay: November 10th, 2012, 11:57 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Aello on December 30th, 2012, 1:16 am

Yes, a big scary bird that will eat your face off is definitely going to make a great pet!

*ponders* sheesh, where do they come up with this stuff?

In any case, I do think yours special, just a tad... creepy...

<3 Ae
Aello
Looking For Answers

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Vaspira on December 30th, 2012, 1:22 am

Oh, did not realize it was going to be big, hahaha. Oh well it can use its cuteness to fool its prey, before it "Eats their face off."

This is me using Hypnotism.
Vaspira
Feral Beauty

Words: 151761
Joined roleplay: November 10th, 2012, 11:57 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Aello on December 30th, 2012, 3:19 am

Here we go, a marginally recycled art piece:

Name: Alohota
Frequency: 100-175
Threat Level: Low
Major Features: Beak like nose
Abilities: Strong sense of smell, sharp teeth
Most Common In: The North Suvan
Mod permission: Yes

Appearance

When full grown, an Alohota is about eight and a half feet long, and another five from head to webbed feet. They have a white underbelly and tail, while their backs and feet are the color of a raven's feathers. A dark mask covers their eyes, and a beak sprouts from the front of their face. It tends to be a mix of warm colors- namely red and orange, which are also the color of their eggs. Their ears blend in to their bodies, two slits beneath their nostrils. Directly below them, thin gills begin to line the underside of their neck and scales the length of the rest of their bodies. Their legs prove to be long and awkward, capable of dragging their forms along shorelines for short distances, assuming they dig their sharp claws deeply enough into the sand.

History

The Alohota was originally a creature hunted in the north, around the waters of Avanthal for their blubber which could be used to help burn oil lamps, and for their fatty meat, which helped add weight to the thin's bones, ultimately aiding those who lived in the colder regions with their ability to keep warm. However, over time the creature was nearly hunted to extinction, leading them to migrate to warmer climes in order to keep their numbers within existence. It is unknown how they came to find the Northen Suvan, and claim the area as their own, although it has become common knowledge amongst the Svefran people that such occurred, and slowly, they are beginning to repopulate.

Personality

Alohota are often found to be both curious and playful creatures. Relatively harmless unless provoked, and fiercely protective of their young. They tend to travel in large groups of about 10-15 members, known simply as pods, with a single male at its head. A younger female leading at its side.

Diet

The Alohota are known to eat a variety of things, considering the fact that they're largely omnivorous. A personal favorite, however, tends to be kelp, although, they are also known for being relatively fond of smaller fish such as anchovies. During times in which prey is scarce however, the animals don't hesitate to scavenge, feasting on whatever bones and flesh other creatures left behind.

Credit goes to Aello

Enjoy!

<3 Ae

P.S. Vasp, I tend to be tricksy that way ;)
Aello
Looking For Answers

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Silarial on December 30th, 2012, 3:24 am

If the fourth picture would be used or something, it would be like a cousin of the Frostworm (a vicious monster in the Northern Wastes. It grows to a scale of 1000 feet and 95 feet in width)
Frostworm :

Only scarier with all the tentacles, light thingies, and ginormous fins. Haha just saying.
Silarial
Well... that happened.

Words: 140345
Joined roleplay: November 19th, 2012, 6:44 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Anchor on December 30th, 2012, 9:08 am

GAH! Where was this? You mean all those ideas bouncing around, and this was HERE THE WHOLE TIME! Nnnngaaaah!

Q.Q

Anyway, I will start paying attention to this thread, and about bloody time too!
Will be gone for a couple days, grades need lifting

The Suvan Sea

The Suvan Sea *** Fierce Currents OOC *** Current Events

Black Rock
(Temporary Responsibility)
Black Rock *** Morbid Musings OOC *** Domain Lore
Anchor
Come diving with me

Words: 155953
Joined roleplay: November 14th, 2012, 4:21 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Cascade on December 30th, 2012, 9:21 am

Vaspira - I like the idea. Definitely interested. :) If it's too much work for you sister's husband, we can reuse the images you posted as long as its owner/artist says it's fine to reproduce. Will you be providing the write-up as well, along with the images? P.S. That seashell images spooked me out... in a good way.

Ae - Thanks for doing those edits. Looks great to me. Will put it up as soon as I can!

Silarial - I like the idea of making a frostworm's cousin. If nobody will tackle this project I am definitely putting it on my to-do list.

Anchor - Bahahaha you silly thing!

Lovely that we're getting all these ideas and creatures. Thanks for the help everyone, and keep 'em coming!
Cascade
The Demi-Goddess

Words: 182001
Joined roleplay: April 1st, 2012, 3:07 am
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Anchor on December 30th, 2012, 9:58 am

That pic reminds me of Cthulu for some reason. If no one objects, I'd be happy to adopt it as a project myself. I've got a few in my clubhouse thread that I should probably get around to first, but that definitely will be on the thread for me to start working with.
Will be gone for a couple days, grades need lifting

The Suvan Sea

The Suvan Sea *** Fierce Currents OOC *** Current Events

Black Rock
(Temporary Responsibility)
Black Rock *** Morbid Musings OOC *** Domain Lore
Anchor
Come diving with me

Words: 155953
Joined roleplay: November 14th, 2012, 4:21 am
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Silarial on December 30th, 2012, 10:33 am

That would be cool Cascade! To those who would take up the Frostworm idea *cough*Anchor*cough*, here's the information about the Frostworm. :)
Frostworm :
Valkyrie wrote:Image
Name: Frostworm

Common Locations: Northern Wastes

Frequency: Varies - Uncommon for juveniles, very rare for Fatherworms and beyond.

Characteristics: The Tunneling Peak. The Landwhale. The Quakeworm. The Valterworm. Worldbreaker. The Worm who is Morwen. The Frostworm has many monikers, and all of them point towards its vastness of size or the damage such great size can inflict, even if unwittingly. While Frostworms vary in colouring, girth size and demeanour during the course of their insanely long, indefinite lives, biology keeps a few things consistent: They are blind. Like the common earthworm, they sense through vibrations caused by sound and movement. Their skin is rubbery, thick and tough, even in the smallest of worms, giving them a great deal of resistance, though by no means impenetrability, towards a large variety of weapons. Frostworms are fast tunnellers and adept swimmers, though they gradually lose some speed as they continue to amass bulk. While younger worms have no problem maintaining a respectable level of speed above ground, the larger worms can end up stuck for dead if they beach themselves on the surface, and usually won't even risk showing too much of themselves out on the surface.

Frostworms are extreme omnivores, with a digestive tract that laughs at the concept of inedibility. Only one factor matters as far as durability is concerned: Time, time and time and nothing else. Flesh, snow, ice, stone, mineral ores, steel, even the less volatile forms of djed like shields and the products of certain types of World Magic can be swallowed whole and processed. In fact, eating magic is closer to the worm's true natural diet, for the digestive track takes whatever comes into it and wrings out all the latent djed inside for the worm to draw strength on, to move it oft titanic mass through the ice, earth, stone and water alike with surprising speed. The hundreds upon hundreds of rows of grindingly sharp teeth within its many mouths are used mainly for easing through and lending haste to the tunneling process, though smaller worms will also use them for intimidation and self-defence.

As frostworms continue to age and grow, they begin to feel the strain of being a sub-terrestrial animal whose size is far, far more suited for the depths of the ocean. They find that even their biological adaptations and massive djed intake cannot continue to support their huge bulks and perpetual, fast-paced tunneling. This drives them to dive deep into the earth, crunching through frost and and stone, and going into a deep state of hibernation, gathering djed from its surroundings all the while, awakening only for brief periods of activity; periods that become increasing brief as the worm continues to swell through the ages. A frostworm can lay dormant through even the most thundering of disturbances, as evidenced when the Djed Storm didn't suddenly cause an eruption of angry, post-slumbering worms to rise up and ravage through Northern Taldera. Short of a substantial direct injury, Frostworms will not deign to awaken before its cycle of sleep comes to an end. The period between a worm's re-emergence and subsequent re-hibernation is known as a rampage, and the area where it roams is known as a rampage zone.

Frostworms are separated into 4 age classes: Frostworm, Fatherworm, Elderworm, and Morwen's Fury. Thus, Frostworm refers to both the species as a whole, as well as the smaller, more commonly - and at times solely- encountered juvenile members.

Frostworms are the babies of the species; babies that still manage to tower over a good portion of the creatures within the Northern Talderan ecosystem. The Frostclass class covers worms who have yet to pass their third decade. Newborns are no more 5 feet long and half a feet wide, while those bordering on Fatherworms can grow up to 50 feet long and 5 feet wide. The creatures bear a snow-white coloring in their first two decades for camouflage, for the youngest of them are vulnerable to Sabertooths and Wolves, and even the oldest of them, despite their size advantage, will fare badly against their dire variants. Curiously, it is only in this age class that Frostworms display active hunting behaviour, as opposed to the indifferent eat-everything-in-our-path attitude displayed by Fatherworms and beyond. They are deadly ambush predators, with a certain sense of devious cunning lost to their older kin, and will snag anything that will fit into their jaws. Frostworms do not need to hibernate, and thus, are not on a constant feeding frenzy. They can move at speeds of up to 40 mph below ground, and a 1/2 of that on land.

Fatherworms are mature specimens that have yet to pass their second century of life. The oldest of them can reach lengths up to 400 feet and a width of 60 feet. At this stage of life, the Fatherworm gradually loses its snow-white coloring over the course of its first year as an adult, and takes on a more light brownish hue, for the predators that have plagued it as an infant can no longer harm it. The only thing a Fatherworm fears is a significantly larger Fatherworm, or one of the fabled Elderworms. Hibernation begins around their 5th decade of life, and a Fatherworm will slumber for an average of 5 years before emerging for a two week long period of activity. By the time the Fatherworm is on the verge of becoming an Elderworm, its hibernation period would have extended to a decade long, with activity levels dropping to a single week. Depending on size, they can move anywhere between 20-35 mph.

Elderworms are exactly what their name implies: They are the oldest of the worms, those who have lived beyond their second century. It is said that the Frostworm never stops growing, and the largest Elderworms do little to disprove this theory, with a scale of 1000 feet and 95 feet in width. The hibernation periods for the greatest of them can reach as much as a century, with 3 days of activity before returning to rest. There are rumours that seafaring Elderworms can even swallow whales whole. Depending on size, they can move anywhere between 10-15 mph.

An angered frostworm is a physical threat, but no more so than entering Sabertooth territory or encountering a pack of Wolves. A Fatherworm is an ecological disturbance on par with a sudden, disproportionally massive influx of Sabertooths in an area, but temporary and only within its relatively small rampage zone. An Elderworm is a phenomena, a vicious earthquake that tears at the earth and reshapes the landscape, that grates at the land for miles beyond its rampage zone, but one that passes quickly enough. Morwen's Fury...

There have been no post-Valterrian sightings of a Morwen's Fury.

Or The Morwen's Fury, as the case may very well be, for many believe there to be only one such king titan in existence. If it even still exists, that is.

Social Structure: Frostworms are creatures of pure instinct, and to their primitive minds, another worm only registers as 2 things: competition or food. The latter is usually the most likely conclusion that a worm would come to, and worm numbers are kept at a reasonable level by both predators attacking the young, as well as copious amounts of cannibalism. Either way, worms are naturally aggressive to members of their own species and live solitary lives. The Worm's reproductive cycle is unknown. No mating has ever been observed, not for the lack of trying on the part of those who seek to know. There are many theories by Helminthologists, but one stands out above all for its outlandishness: That Frostworms as a whole are simply the ever-growing larvae form of the creature that is Morwen's Fury. The Morwen's Fury serves as the 'queen' and the single adult member of the race, producing fertilized eggs even while dormant. When the Morwen's Fury dies, for some reason or another, the largest Elderworm awakens and takes its place, morphing into a Morwen's Fury to begin the cycle anew.

Crazy, really. Absolutely crazy. Rubbish from a deranged mind.

Miscellaneous: Frostfawn Hold has varying bounties for slaughter of Juvenile Frostworms, depending on the size of the specimen slain. The monetary rewards range from 10 gm all the way to 70 gm. There are no regulations for hunting Fatherworms and Elderworms, in the rare moments they appear, in the same way that there are no laws stopping one from running into an avalanche or jumping off a mountain.

Juvenile Frostworms are highly valued by poisoners, for they possess the ingredients to some of the strongest posions within the Lumbricida family. While many different types of poisons can be produced from a single Frostworm, it is the aged brain, the source of the L4 poison Fireice (See poisons list), that Poisoners covet the most. The teeth of a juvenile can be fashioned into prized daggers, and the ones that the larger worms leave behind in the wake of a rampage can be used to make larger weapons.

In the rare event that a Fatherworm/Elderworm has designated Avanthal as its rampage zone, all Icewatch members are to understand that the repeling or killing of the beast takes immediate precedence over everything else. Including their current duties.

Credit to Anton
Silarial
Well... that happened.

Words: 140345
Joined roleplay: November 19th, 2012, 6:44 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

PreviousNext