[Flashback]A Rolling stone gathers no djed[Bob]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Clyde Sullins on July 8th, 2011, 5:16 pm

30 Winter 505

Going along outside Syliras, Clyde was once more trying to do some training. Maybe today he would get some solo training done, or maybe it would be one of those rare days when he met another magic user, and got to train with someone else.

He had to often change his training spot, because even though it was secluded, if he kept it the same the knights might find him. And even though it was not 'technically' illegal outside the city, it was still frowned upon, and could lead to trouble or imprisonment inside the city.

Finally he settled upon a secluded spot, which was not to well traveled. It had a nice soft dirt ground, though not much vegetation growing. Unless you counted the various rocks and boulders as vegetation.

Getting down, he slowly drew some basic glyphs in the dirt. He tended to do this almost absentmindedly these days, to practice his art. Taking out some ink and a quill, he drew a focus on the palms of his hands. There was still a bit of ink left from the last time he had put one there, and had removed before heading home.
Last edited by Clyde Sullins on November 1st, 2011, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

[Flashback]A Rolling stone gathers no djed

Postby Bob Barton on July 8th, 2011, 5:38 pm

From the last time at the well, Bob had enough money to last him another week or so if he spent it well enough. So instead of busking or gambling, he choose to experience and get to know the city of Syliras a little bit better. Going to the city gates he observed the people coming in and out, trying to guess where they came from or what they did with their life. Maybe he would even go and strike up some conversation with a few of them just to see if he is right although some might shrug him off thinking he is one of those crazies in a city.

Among the crowd who did he see but the boy who tried to teach him reimancy almost a week ago. Maybe this time they could talk like normal people instead of having to settle with just talking about reimancy and practicing it to the point they had to cut their encounter short because of exhaustion. Bob tried to call out to him but the hustle and bustle of the crowd drowned his voice off. So he had to be satisfied with just following him until he stopped. A pretty hard task since you would bump into quite a number of people who would look like they would have killed you if it wasn't for the knights who maintained order in the city.

Bob finally got to the spot the boy stopped at. A pretty secluded spot and he saw the boy drawing the dirt. Eventhough he was mature when it came to knowledge and theory of reimancy he is still a child after all. Bob stopped to catch his breath a little because the chase took a lot out of him, being more of an indoor person himself. After that he went up to the boy and tapped on his shoulder putting a smile to greet him.
Bob Barton
Player

Words: 1121818
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2011, 12:21 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on July 8th, 2011, 6:16 pm

Sitting on the ground, he had continued to draw glyphs in the dirt. He had made a large focus in the middle, and surrounded it with glyphs as a barrier, words like control, withhold, restrict. All good words to be used in a barrier. So involved in his work was he that he did not notice someone coming up behind him.

Being tapped on the shoulder, he jumped, and spun around. He ended up in a odd catlike crouch, almost as if he was going to pounce, with a deep lungfull of air, ready to breath out res. However he quickly saw it was just someone he had met before and taught some reimancy to. Finally, he settled down and slowed his breathing.

"Dont you know to not sneak up on someone doing magic? Petch! Are you trying to get me to fry you? Announce your presence next time, so i dont think your someone coming to murder me!"

Finally calmed down after this outburst, he let out a small smile. Looking back at his work, and back at Bob, he decided something quick. "Do you want to see something cool?"

Reaching back down, he finished off his sigils, adding a small trigger, with voice activation. This one would activate when he said 'Magic, i command you to activate!' A bit dramatic, but cool none the less.

Stepping back from his work, he put out his hands and exuded some res. Shaping it into a ball, he ignited the outside, and floated it there for a moment. Then he slowly released it and let it fall into the focus, waiting till it got near to turn it all into flame.

But when the fire ball slowly collided with the focus, it did not explode, instead it sank into it like a rock going though the surface of a lake. Turning about once more, he spoke, "So, what do you think? Cool huh?"
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Bob Barton on July 8th, 2011, 6:35 pm

Bob jumped back at the boy's reaction thinking maybe he got to the wrong person and ran into a wild man instead. Instinctively he shielded his eyes because everyone knows that cats love to go for the eyes. He only dropped his arms and opened his eyes hearing the voice he knew eventhough it was a little bit more hostile and nodded to the boy's question about the cool thing hoping it would appease his anger.

He saw the boy finishing off his drawings thinking whether this capable magic user is also a fellow artist only to brush off the thought because life is too random for so many coincidences. He watched the boy do the thing with the fire and though it was interesting but he didn't see the point of it. In reply Bob said "Its kind of cool, but I liked the old one better. That one would probably have done a lot more damage" referring to the demonstration in their previous encounter.
Last edited by Bob Barton on July 9th, 2011, 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Barton
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Clyde Sullins on July 8th, 2011, 6:58 pm

Clyde was a bit disappointed by Bobs response. That was a neat little bit of magic he had just done. Apparently though he did not know what he was seeing.

"You dont like it? Well a breath of fire is kind of cool, but this is a different type of magic altogether. Reimancy uses your body and djed, but this... this uses the energies inherent in the world, and none of your own. Maybe its less flashy, but glyphing lets you do some wondrous things."

"Ive heard some people who have mastered it can even capture and redirect live magic that is coming at them! Wouldnt you like to be able to do that? I am no were near that advanced now, but maybe someday! For know i can only do simple things, like focus my magic, and store it for later. But this is were my true passion lies, though i do work at the other type of magic, things like glyphing and magecrafting are what i really enjoy."

Standing there, he lost focus for a moment, thinking of all the things that could be done with this other type of magic. His gaze got a bit distant, as he lost track, and then he suddenly jerked back to present company.

"Sorry, i lost it there for a bit. So what are you doing out here? I dont see to many people wandering around."
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Bob Barton on July 8th, 2011, 7:19 pm

Bob shrugged in reply "I wasn't really referring to breathing fire, that one might really scald your lips. I was talking about the fire bomb you used very much like that fire ball thing as well" pointing towards the spot where the fireball sunk into. He took in what the boy said biting his lip a little because again here Clyde was explaining another complicated theory of magic to him. Glyphing and magecrafting? It was not really mentioned much in the book. Well maybe magecrafting but he couldn't really remember what off the bat.

"I don't really know what glyphing is but I heard that magecrafting might be able to help in a few games if used right. Maybe one day you can do something with it for me?" Bob lips started to point a little around the edges as he gave the suggestion. "But I'm sorry to say that I don't really know much of this passion of yours. You see I may be from Zeltiva but I was never that interested in all these magic things. I don't even know the significance of what you just did. If you want you can always explain more?"

Bob went over to the largest boulder to take a seat having walked quite a distance chasing after Clyde choosing to only answer the real question then "I saw you walking out of the gates but it seems you did not notice me. I was hoping maybe we can have a little chat, the one we missed out on the other day. After that if you want we can always continue with the magic lessons."
Last edited by Bob Barton on July 9th, 2011, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Barton
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Clyde Sullins on July 8th, 2011, 7:44 pm

Looking up, he saw he had gone over Bobs head with his talk. Perhaps it would be best to keep things simple for know, till he understood more.

"Well the reason glyphing is so good is that it enhances your magic. When you use your djed, it weakens you. But if you store your magic in glyphs, you can use it later, say in a fight. So instead of having to make the magic then, you just whip out a scroll and shoot out the fireball you made before."

"Here, let me show you the glyphing effects real quick"

Moving them both back, Clyde then spoke the trigger words he had put earlier. 'Magic, i command you to activate!'

Saying this, the focus would shoot out the ball of fire from earlier, going back up with the same energy it had gone in. Since he had only let it slowly fall, it only slowly rose about 4 feet, before falling again.

Now though, the glyphs were smeared and un-legible. Now that they were used, they had dissipated. The fireball fell back were the glyphs had been, hitting the ground and throwing some sparks and fire around.

"See, that is what glyphing can do."

"But with magecrafting, yes you could do that. Though it is very, very expensive. You could say alter a coin with magecrafting to make it land on heads more often, or even all the time. That would be altering the items normal behavior. Things like that, but we are talking about thousands of gold mizas for even a low level enchantment."

Listening to how Bob had followed him, Clyde nodded. "Of course if you want to talk that is fine. What did you have in mind?"
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Bob Barton on July 8th, 2011, 7:56 pm

Bob watched the fire ball reappearing while thinking to himself that maybe Clyde was right about its value and he may well try to learn it himself next time. Now that Clyde was in a good mood and willing to answer his questions, Bob started with a little joke of his own to set the mood "Thousands of coins just for improve on one? Maybe I'll forget about that expensive idea and look into this glyphing but we can get to that later" Now looking with a slightly more serious face than he would normally display, he continued "No actually I am just a little bit more interested in your story. No offence but how would a kid like you because so good at magic so fast? In Syliras of all places. I don't think the Knight especially would appreciate a child being able to burn things if they wanted" Bob went and pointed back to the fireball spot again "Heck, I even hear old men with only weeks left to live are not shown any leniency."
Last edited by Bob Barton on July 9th, 2011, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Barton
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Clyde Sullins on July 9th, 2011, 3:33 pm

This once more braught there point of talk top something serious, and which Clyde did not like to speak of. At first he was about to say something snarky, maybe about his gambling roots, but he decided against it.

"That.....is a bit of a sensitive spot for me.... suffice to say it was unpleasant. And to be honest i dont even know completely remember it. After all, i was only about five at the time."

This was clearly said with a pained look, and was obviously bringing back vivid and horrible memories. Though not many could say that they had been forced to be initiated in magic at such a tender age. Or that in truth, magic not only was his life, but had consumed it.

Once more showing only the tip of the truth, Clyde made a small comment which revealed more than was at first recognized. "You would be surprised what the knights do not see. They are not omnipotent..."

"And i have been careful. I never practice in the city, and i am careful to only show it to others who also have magic. If they tried to turn me in, they would be in trouble to. So not much worry there. I sneak off when i can, and practice and train my magics, i have been for quite some time. Either the knights do not know, or since i do not do it in there precious city, they do not care."

This last bit would also be said with vehemonce, showing that he was clearly not to fond of the city, or its knights.
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Bob Barton on July 9th, 2011, 5:35 pm

Bob listened as Clyde spoke agreeing with what he said. In a soft voice he told Clyde "We all have a past we are trying to run away from. If...if you don't want to talk about it, I understand. This is only our second meeting after all." in an attempt to comfort him.

Then he tried to change the discussion with a story "You don't need to be omnipotent if you are a monster with many eyes, I heard a legend about that once from a sailor back at Zeltiva and I can tell you it had a sad ending. The sea monster got the heroes in the end. So I guess that being in the same boat kind of makes us friends of some sort? I only hope we can avoid the monster this time." smiling in hopes that Clyde felt the same. In his travels Bob learnt that you can never have too many friends and if Clyde is his, then all the better.

To hopefully build the bridge, Bob tried to persuade Clyde of his intent "So if you don't want to tell, perhaps you would like me to tell you a story? Or we could go back to lessons and this time hopefully finally share those drinks?" Bob then made a very obvious motion of adjusting his seat on the boulder as a subconscious sign that he wanted to stay there with the boy.
Last edited by Bob Barton on July 9th, 2011, 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Barton
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next